Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

"best mario kart since double dash" has me hopeful

the videos I saw so far haven't looked great though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-15-mario-kart-8-review

10/10 from Eurogamer. Not too sure if it will sell too many systems and it certainly won't in the numbers that Nintendo need but for people like me who are already Nintendo fans and looking for something to tip them over the edge, I think this will do it. I'm just not sure how many other people there are like me that don't already have the console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-15-mario-kart-8-review

10/10 from Eurogamer. Not too sure if it will sell too many systems and it certainly won't in the numbers that Nintendo need but for people like me who are already Nintendo fans and looking for something to tip them over the edge, I think this will do it. I'm just not sure how many other people there are like me that don't already have the console.
    Can add one more here; got a PC for all major title releases but been looking at picking up a Wii U for a while now. Only waiting for E3 etc. to see if there are any major announcement / price changes / packages before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Picking up a Wii-U on the 30th for this, oh yeeah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently it's even better than mario kart 7 which was fantastic. Also there's finally a way to combat the blue shell apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭derm0j073

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also there's finally a way to combat the blue shell apparently.
    I hate those blue shells . Anybody know of any good deals out there for the WiiU ? Might be time to jump aboard .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There was always a way to beat the blue shell. Drop into 2nd for a moment and avoid the splash back. Or cross the finish line a split second before it hits and then dance around the room slapping your arse in the face of all your opponents. I can't be the only one....

Hope they're bringing back the Red Shell dodge where if you go into a skid just before it hits, generate a boost and then release so you boost away at an angle to your previous trajectory it hits the ground instead of you. Loved pulling that off - really felt like Skill could overcome the dumb-luck/last man back gets the biggest gun mentality of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For a game on a console that nobody owns, it's still doing pretty well in the amazon bestsellers. It's only being beaten by Watch Dogs on PS4 and XBone
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_h__12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I haven't played a Mario Kart game since the SNES. Are they latest versions multiplayer focused? Is that where the majority of the enjoyment is? I would primarily be a single player gamer and am trying to work out if I would get my moneys worth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can't wait for the release date on this.
    I'll be in the queue that morning!

Gas thing is, regardless of how good excellent or sublime it is there will be a lot of folk sneering "it's just a repeat of the same game again" and "but I don't like Mario games".
    Poor b@stards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It looks great!

I hope it's not like MKWii were it got raving reviews but upon playing it it was piss easy as the AI gave no competition, the tracks were too wide and unchallenging, and you'd easily get blue shelled 3 or 4 times in a match if you were always in first, which made it feel like it was a game of chance a lot of the time.

If all that is rectified, it'll be great tho

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It looks great!

I hope it's not like MKWii were it got raving reviews but upon playing it it was piss easy as the AI gave no competition, the tracks were too wide and unchallenging, and you'd easily get blue shelled 3 or 4 times in a match if you were always in first, which made it feel like it was a game of chance a lot of the time.

If all that is rectified, it'll be great tho

id honestly love if it they re-released double dash but with a helping of new (good) tracks

the game was perfected on the 'cube

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't wait for the release date on this.
    I'll be in the queue that morning!

Gas thing is, regardless of how good excellent or sublime it is there will be a lot of folk sneering "it's just a repeat of the same game again" and "but I don't like Mario games".
    Poor b@stards.

To be fair, of all the major Nintendo franchises (Smash Brothers and the sports titles aside) it is Mario Kart that updates most incrementally. The presentation improves, the courses change, but Mario Kart has always been a case of careful evolution over revolution. Various titles have experimented with one or two notable new features, but the core gameplay never really changes - unlike core Mario or Zelda that have completely mixed up the formula over the years. Mario Kart's more conservative growth is with good cause, though: as earlier entries have shown, even minor adjustments can upset the zen like balance quite significantly. And kart racing will always be kart racing, even with Nintendo's impeccable artistry.

I really look forward to playing it, as it looks and sounds like an absolute blast. But I've never considered Mario Kart a system seller for me, more something I dabble with briefly or with friends. So I'll wait to pick it up alongside the inevitable WiiU purchase later this year or early next.

One concern Edge pointed out is that the four player mode plays like **** :( Inevitable when so much oomph has been out into the graphical side of things, but limits one of the series' major selling points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I'm still debating whether to pull the trigger on a Wii U console. Does Mario Kart 8 have online races against other people?

id honestly love if it they re-released double dash but with a helping of new (good) tracks

the game was perfected on the 'cube
    God I love double dash. I got again last year :p

There's more challenge with it, but I still like the look of MK8 and I hope it's closer to that than the wii version.

I also remember in Mkwii how much they emphasised tricks to get a speed boost. It was so gimmicky and I felt I spent more time in the air than on the track. Plus the bikes wheely was a complete cop out. It was such a step back from double dash, I thought anyway.

The anti gravity gimmick in this one seems good though, at least it's more strategic.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

2 weeks ladies! We have a signup for a league in the Nintendo forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Inbox wrote: »
    I'm still debating whether to pull the trigger on a Wii U console. Does Mario Kart 8 have online races against other people?
    Yes it does; online and/or co-op on same screen for up to 4 people.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just went to Tesco, bought 8 euros worth of games and traded them in for a 28 euro preorder on Mario Kart 8.
    I must nip in and do that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I think with this one, it WILL feature the slightly wider courses, like in MK Wii, which is in order to facilitate 12 people on the same track a little easier, but with the tightened and honestly fantastic mechanics of MK7 on the 3DS, so it should certainly be a winner.

It'll be 2 player at our house, or tournament play with other Boardsies when we have the time!

Oh, and Pac1Man the single player will be somewhat similar to the single player on any of the recent Mario Kart titles, it's good, and fun while it lasts, but the real fun is in the multiplayer.

Been hearing that the online multiplayer is a complete pain in the ass to set up among friends.

I think that and a gimped battle mode are the only negatives to the game, which is good to hear.

I wish Nintendo would stop acting like an old person trying to use a computer when it comes to online and get rid of all the stupid restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

This looks really amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Moderately disappointed with it so far, but review copy only arrived yesterday so not trading too much into it yet.

I will say, however, that the last sonic racing game was better at this point - but that was genuinely a brilliant game imo

COYVB wrote: »
    Moderately disappointed with it so far, but review copy only arrived yesterday so not trading too much into it yet.

I will say, however, that the last sonic racing game was better at this point - but that was genuinely a brilliant game imo

What aspects of it are you disappointed by?

I think it might be the same case as the wii version being highly reviewed, yet is easily one of the weakest ones considering how dumbed down it was.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mario Kart Wii is the lowest rated of all Mario Karts.

Mario Kart Wii is the lowest rated of all Mario Karts.

Only very slightly, even though by mario kart standards it is quite poor.

Was playing DD earlier today, and although it's not perfect, it is a far better game than MKWii, yet it's rated pretty much the same.

double dash was the dark souls of cartoony racing games

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In our house, with Double Dash, it always came down to one course: Baby Circuit.
    Nice simple small course, nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Just race, and hope if someone got a red shell that you could take the turn just tight enough to lose it. And then that you could run the gauntlet that was banana skins and green shells bouncing around ad infinitum...

so many sleepless nights in college with 4 or 5 of us staying up till 7-8am just trying to shave half a millisecond off our times on baby park. It was the track where you found out who really 'got' the game.

Some of the other tracks were excellent for learning patterns, finding a good line through traffic and obstacles... but baby park was just drifting. iirc to do it properly you had to drift into the corner, around the corner, out of the corner, two or three times up to the next corner then into the corner, around the corner...... it was a thing of beauty to watch

The gimped power steering is back. Annoyingly.

I'd wish they'd bring out a remastered DD. It looks awful on a 1080p TV these days, still fun though.

My only gripe with the game is the piranha pipes being overpowered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    The gimped power steering is back. Annoyingly.

I'd wish they'd bring out a remastered DD. It looks awful on a 1080p TV these days, still fun though.

My only gripe with the game is the piranha pipes being overpowered

Still looks gorgeous to me with RGB scart cables. If you are using composite then everything is going to look like crap.

Advertisement