Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Everythings good except the Ice Ice map. It's quite bland. You could put any environment around it and it's the same damn track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If Nintendo does this right they should be rolling out DLC every 6 months, buyable in a two pack like these ones, until the next generation comes along. These two packs ups the in-game content by 50% for a very reasonable fee.

Now, if only they'd price VC games properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it is very good value, for what will be 16 tracks in total. the excitebike track makes for great close racing !!

i only played it with a few others from boards, but i'd imagine with a full race it would be mayhem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm stunned though that the powers that be haven't elected to include a classic battle arena or two.
    But that's a minor gripe about possibly the best game of this generation, so far

Very disappointed with the lack of them, maybe on the next dlc we might get treated to them or even new arenas.
    Also would have loved Baby Bowser to have been included. That little laugh when he gets a hit.
    This DLC along with Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors should mean a very WiiU Christmas at the OTT house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    also rob and baby bowser

Who the **** is Rob? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Cormac... wrote: »
    Who the **** is Rob? :D

ROB-BLS.jpg

R.O.B. from the NES.

Star Lord wrote: »
    ROB-BLS.jpg

R.O.B. from the NES.

I thought it was more like Roy in the Simpsons :pac:

Where was this character/kart. Must have been on an entry I didn't give much time to (Wii or GBA)

Also, screw Rob, I want's me Dry Bones or Boo :mad:

EDIT: I googled it and realised yes it was indeed on a game boy version, 2 things occurred to me.

1) Those dead, dead, dead eyes, makes Luigi look like Brian Blessed.
    2) Noone clammering to see Don-chan reappear
    R.O.B. is the first non-Mario character to appear in the Mario Kart series. The others (in the Mario Kart Arcade GP series) are Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Blinky, Mametchi, and Don-chan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I thought it was more like Roy in the Simpsons :pac:

Where was this character/kart. Must have been on an entry I didn't give much time to (Wii or GBA)

Also, screw Rob, I want's me Dry Bones or Boo :mad:

EDIT: I googled it and realised yes it was indeed on a game boy version, 2 things occurred to me.

1) Those dead, dead, dead eyes, makes Luigi look like Brian Blessed.
    2) Noone clammering to see Don-chan reappear

Wasn't Game Boy. Was the DS version.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Wasn't Game Boy. Was the DS version.

Semantics :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

well rob might make a comeback since still playable in ssb since melee for past 10yrs and now he back in new ssb for wiiu and 3ds as unlockable character since all amiibos are compatible with mario kart 8 ,

dry bones bowser is back, but i wish dry brones, king boo, petey piranha plant, come back 2

more then rumor that birdo coming back to mario kart 8 as dlc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the lack of them, maybe on the next dlc we might get treated to them or even new arenas.
    Also would have loved Baby Bowser to have been included. That little laugh when he gets a hit.
    This DLC along with Smash Bros. and Hyrule Warriors should mean a very WiiU Christmas at the OTT house.

Perhaps the Excitebike track, being so linear and full of jumps, can serve as a Battleground proxy, a stand in for battling mayhem until Ninty do the right thing and release the Battle Arenas proper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Perhaps the Excitebike track, being so linear and full of jumps, can serve as a Battleground proxy, a stand in for battling mayhem until Ninty do the right thing and release the Battle Arenas proper.

Is there any chatter that's might mean they will release battle arenas proper?
    Those arenas and some Mario chase maps and is be a happy camper.

i miss Diddy Kong and baby bowser

dry bones bowser is back, but i wish dry brones, king boo, petey piranha plant, come back 2

more then rumor that birdo coming back to mario kart 8 as dlc
    i miss Diddy Kong and baby bowser

Birdo can go away and feck off, no one wants Mario Bros 2 cast offs.

Also WTF were they thinking with all the "baby" characters, fair enough Baby Mario and Luigi, but Daisy, Peach and Rosalina?

And Pink Gold Peach, Cat Peach, Metal Mario and Cat Mario are terrible ideas.

I believe the thinking is, If it's a weapon, it won't also be a playable character, hence why we don't have any more Petey Pirahana or the likes of Bob-omb.

Also that 2nd Animal Crossing Character can go and feck off too

Thats' 8 characters that are pure rubbish, I'm going to leave them off Toadette and the 7 Koopalings cause I'm feeling generous

Boo, Dry Bones, Diddy Kong, Baby Bowser, Zelda, Gannon, Captain Falcon, The robbing Animal Crossing shop owner (Mr. Took?) and Rob should have been playable, and that's just looking at the obvious choices... (if I was reaching i'd include some of your Original Paper Mario compatriots or the likes of Mecha Koopa or something, what makes Birdo so popular?)

When I see the roster I'm just like "WTF were they thinking?"

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Amiibos only unlock suits for you Mii, you cannot play as Captain Falcon or Samus

Finally, why did they change the format of the cups and now introduce 2 cups with new and retro tracks blended..... did someone really think that the new Ice Level was necessary? It's crap (almost as bad as that dolphin level).... should have just added a 4th Retro level IMHO.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Kids like baby characters.
    Kids like the Cat Mario show.
    Kids are **** at Mariokart but like to dawdle around the track in pink karts as Baby Daisy or Cat Peach.
    Kids do not like you teaching them how to drift, jump boost, stay on the road, drive around the track the right way to stop the annoying "turn around" prompt etc.
    Nintendo gave the Adults the Linkcycle, which is as close to being Batman as the Nintendoverse can give you (monosyllabic, dresses like a tool, carries grappling hooks, boomerangs, and all sorts of situation-specific gear with no visible means for storing it, is trapped in an endless quest for justice, has rupies out the ying-yang, doesn't have any parents - it fits!)

Hence : Tonnes of baby characters, Cat Peach, Tanooki Mario who looks just like Cat Mario etc etc and no Battle Arenas, because dead Mariokarters make kids cry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While I agree the character selection boasts a lot of filler and leaves quite a lot to be desired, I will not hear a bad word against Baby Daisy. A better troll character there has never been (also helps that she boasts excellent handling and grip).

Banjo wrote: »
    Kids like baby characters.
    Kids like the Cat Mario show.
    Kids are **** at Mariokart but like to dawdle around the track in pink karts as Baby Daisy or Cat Peach.
    Kids do not like you teaching them how to drift, jump boost, stay on the road, drive around the track the right way to stop the annoying "turn around" prompt etc.
    Nintendo gave the Adults the Linkcycle, which is as close to being Batman as the Nintendoverse can give you (monosyllabic, dresses like a tool, carries grappling hooks, boomerangs, and all sorts of situation-specific gear with no visible means for storing it, is trapped in an endless quest for justice, has rupies out the ying-yang, doesn't have any parents - it fits!)

Hence : Tonnes of baby characters, Cat Peach, Tanooki Mario who looks just like Cat Mario etc etc and no Battle Arenas, because dead Mariokarters make kids cry.

Mind blown :)

Also feck kids and their silly characters :D
    While I agree the character selection boasts a lot of filler and leaves quite a lot to be desired, I will not hear a bad word against Baby Daisy. A better troll character there has never been (also helps that she boasts excellent handling and grip).

Troll character? :confused:

Also, what decides if you get a 1, 2 or 3 star Gold. I finished 3x1st and 1x2nd and only got a 1 star?
    Also, did they ever patch out the fire hopping?

Also my OH started playing as Shy Guy there at the weekend, he's the best Corkonian Character to appear in a Nintendo game..... Nowwwwwummmm! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

IIRC there's 1x star for winning the championship, 1x star for 1st in every race, and 1x star for coins collected

COYVB wrote: »
    IIRC there's 1x star for winning the championship, 1x star for 1st in every race, and 1x star for coins collected

I dunno, i've gotten gold trophies with 0 stars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Took long enough to download all the needed updates but the DLC was well worth it! Is it just me or do they seem pretty easy in single player? Got gold on both of them my second attempt, haven't got gold on every other cup yet. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yeah, seems very easy. I've had five attempts at grand prixes and have come first in every single race except one.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Also, what decides if you get a 1, 2 or 3 star Gold. I finished 3x1st and 1x2nd and only got a 1 star?

3 stars is winning every race in the grand prix, so 60 points.
    2 stars is I think at least 57 points
    1 star is 55 or more points I think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I thought the 3rd star was coin based also

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I thought the 3rd star was coin based also

3 stars is finish 1st place in all four races. Nothing else affects it. I've got 60 points and barely any coins and been given 3 stars.

too many clones of peach and mario in this one,

and i miss this ending https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqeW3Q6OfLY

3 stars is winning every race in the grand prix, so 60 points.
    2 stars is I think at least 57 points
    1 star is 55 or more points I think.

you luckly to get those points on 150cc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Does anyone know what time the new DLC for MK8 comes out tomorrow? I want to download it as soon as possible, despite the demand on servers. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 PedroBear

What's this game like to play online with randomers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

PedroBear wrote: »
    What's this game like to play online with randomers?

Two words: Great craic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

Does anyone know what time the new DLC for MK8 comes out tomorrow? I want to download it as soon as possible, despite the demand on servers. :)

Not sure but will be doing it as soon as I get home from work - 200cc looks brilliant!

Will be staring at Mrs. TTime and the baby all evening willing them to go to bed :) (must get that other room done up for my gaming needs) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm at home all day tomorrow, going to have to keep checking the WiiU for the update!
    Might collect my now repaired Vectrex and play with that whilst waiting for it to turn up.

Advertisement