Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I'd disagree with you on the retro tracks, I love them, with the exception of the sandy ones. Are there other great MK tracks? Sure there are, but they can't include everyone's favourites, or they'd have to put in every course* from every game.

*except some of the rainbow road courses.

Maybe I should be a bit clearer. Its more that I rather the original versions. The best of the bunch for me is the princess speedway or something like that I think its called. I just like the originals better is all. I'm really only talking about the N64 tracks btw as its all ive really played previously.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The track design in MK 64 was piss poor imo. Most of the retro tracks in MK8 are great and gives a much needed boost to the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

My opinion on the 3DS / Wii tracks:

3DS:
    DK Jungle - Good track
    Music Park - One of my favourite tracks!
    Piranha Plant Slide - Good track

Wii:
    Moo Moo Meadows - Love this one, it's crammed full of character and the music is awesome.
    Grumble Volcano - Fun track, like how it changes on each lap.

The only retro track I don't like is the one of the two from the revered Double Dash: Dry Dry Desert.

The SNES/N64/GBA/DS tracks are a power sliders dream.

I agree that Dry Dry Desert is one of the poorer ones from GC. I just think it's too early to have the 3dS ones in there and the 3ds isn't needed to make up the numbers.
    I kinda like Moo Moo Meadows but I intensely dislike Grumble Volcano as I suck at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Luigi death stare vids are great there's a few here.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/06/luigis-death-stare/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The new snaking has arrived.

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

This is Nintendo we are talking about though so don't expect a patch any time soon. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Kirby wrote: »
    I was just wondering would snaking appear again to make the online play boring (for me at least), this doesn't sound as bad it's lengthening a speed boost a bit not like snaking which just one constant speed boost will see how prevalent it becomes.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I was just wondering would snaking appear again to make the online play boring (for me at least), this doesn't sound as bad it's lengthening a speed boost a bit not like snaking which just one constant speed boost will see how prevalent it becomes.

You didn't watch the video did you? :P A bit? You can keep the boost permanently if you practice enough.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Kirby wrote: »

http://kotaku.com/mario-kart-has-a-new-controversial-technique-1585596362

This is Nintendo we are talking about though so don't expect a patch any time soon. :(

Hmmm...fair game imho. It doesn't appear to be anywhere near as bad as snaking was. It's a little extra speed over a small distance.

Anyone can learn to do it and you won't be able to maintain speed continuously in a race environment.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hmmm...fair game imho. It doesn't appear to be anywhere near as bad as snaking was.
    Anyone can learn to do it and you won't be able to maintain speed continuously in a race environment.

That's a fairly weak justification tbh. I mean, you can use that argument for anything. "So I'm hacking the game to give myself 20 blue shells a race. Anyone can learn to do it...." Extreme example but you get the point.

My view on this sort of thing is fairly straight forward. If it goes against what the makers of the game intended and breaks the laws of the game....which this one does on both counts....then it should be removed. Drifting is supposed to give you one small boost.....not 10 boosts as long as you keep hopping. It's an exploit pure and simple.
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    It's a little extra speed over a small distance.

If that was the case im sure we could just live with it. But its not. Compare the best times before this was discovered between what they are now. It's as much as 40 seconds over the course of a race. That's not a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

S**t like this annoys me, this game should have a decent, fun, low-level skill requirement so that young people, couples etc can play together. It's not like it's Gran Turismo. As far as i'm conceded holding, a good line, a good choice of driver/car and bring able to navigate the turn-boosts and make good directional track choices are the things that should separate players in 1st and 4th or 8th and 12th if that makes sense. I liked this game cause it was a fairly level playing field. This Unlevels the playing field and will result in online multiplayer where you either Fire-Hop, or you come 4th or worse simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

WeightyScientificAzurevase.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

amiibo for mario kart 8 now mario kart 8 has become skylander game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caS_eSIKIj0
    Nintendo Digital Event - E3 2014
    www.youtube.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK23qhFlFxQ&list=PLN17ThonXwb0RAcOPyepK7wFybvA4BgWb

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    amiibo for mario kart 8 now mario kart 8 has become skylander game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caS_eSIKIj0
    Nintendo Digital Event - E3 2014
    www.youtube.com

It's going to be awesome!
    Add in a push in McDs and it might just sell a ton come Xmas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm pissed now :P I've unlocked everything bar the circuit special which is the one goddamn kart I want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ladies and gentlemen, the definitive Mario Kart 8 review: http://www.avclub.com/article/all-30-mario-kart-8-characters-reviewed-207500

Bloody hell. I kinda agree with him on most of the characters too! Rosalina is my fave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Baby Rosalina is gonna slice you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

that may be one of my favourite reviews ever

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

On the character selection screen, the Koopalings are Nintendo’s way of saying, “…and so on.”

It's funny because it's true.

I do think Mario Kart 8 has persuaded me of the need for a Super Smash Kart or equivalent. There's such a variety of Nintendo characters that breaking away from the restrictions of the Mario vast would be the logical step. There are few surprise unlocks in 8, but imagine if it was Tingle, or Poo! Only problem, of course, would be the loss of a more cohesive art design.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can't really see Samus driving in a Kart Race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

A miniature version of her gunship, like in NintendoLand could work, like the normal 'karts' only in hover mode all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Or just a really fast ball whizzing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Yeah, 8 new tracks too. I WANT BABY PARK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's incredible, I can't wait.
    And Amibo integration is to come as well.

That's some serious DLC right there.

Link is wonderful, but 16 new tracks is exactly what the game needs to keep it alive.

Great price too.

Nice looking doc. Will move me to put the disc back in and I'm sure others the same. Fair play nintendo

Disc back in? It hasn't even left boyo ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's some serious DLC right there.

Link is wonderful, but 16 new tracks is exactly what the game needs to keep it alive.

Great price too.
    Which was my reaction as well reading it but apparently Kotaku disagrees.
    We've now got more details from Nintendo. The packs (the first due in November, the second in May 2015, which is an absurdly long time away) will cost $8 each, or you can get them both for $12. Considering the amount of stuff you're getting (six new characters, eight new cars and 16 new courses increase the game's roster by 50%), that's a pretty good deal.
    Pretty good deal? The fact each DLC don't cost $25 in the first place makes it a bloody brilliant deal on top of the fact you did not have to pay extra to buy characters as well or each tourney being $15 DLC each...

• Advertisement

Disc back in? It hasn't even left boyo ;)

Yeah tbh if the boards group thing was played more often I'd probably have kept at it but 9 times out of 10 I'd go to it and nobody was there. When there was someone there it was generally one or two of us which was fun but you'd really want a group of 6 or more ideally imo.

Its great playing against randomers across the globe but its better beating someone you kind of know online.

Anyway outside of that I had it from day 1, played the hell out of it and eventually decided it was time to give Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze a run. Bear in mind I'm still playing through Zelda Wind Waker as well.

My main problem to be fair is I'm trying to spread my very limited gaming time over different games/consoles.

The new DLC will draw me back though I have no doubt about that.

Advertisement