Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Firedance wrote: »
    Hillier!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: nooooooo......

Don't worry, it will make very little difference

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Delighted to see this thread with so many in the same boat. I have trained for the DCM before getting upto 21miles on a LSR but had to stop due to injury.

Picked up another injury training in June of 2013 and have only started back training in the last couple of weeks. No real method or plan to my training at the moment, just glad to be out running again. Not looking for any PBs this year, all about getting the milage up.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k- 01/04/2013 19.48
    10k- 01/05/2013 41.32
    half marathon- summer 2012- 1.46

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Running 3-4 times a week with distances ranging from 5-8km, roughly 25km p/week. Play astro football 1hr a week also.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Would love sub 4 hour

•How many days a week can you train?

•Why are you running this marathon?
    Bucket list- 30 next year

Would you have any recommendations as to what training to do prior to when the official training starts next month?

Cheers for taking the time to do this.

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NotTooFast

Hi, I have signed up for DCM ( it was a moment of madness!) and my running details are below:

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Terenure 8km(2012) 49:00:00
    Mini Marathon(2013) 56:36:00
    Kildare Half( May 2013) 2:06:56
    Dublin rock and roll Half(aug 2013): 2:06:33
    Wexford Half( april 2014) 2:06:14

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No
    How much training do you currently do ?
    3-4 days a week approx 20 miles a week
    current LSR distance 13 miles

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Finish it, I am not chasing any time at all but under 5 hrs would be nice!

How many days a week can you train?
    4/5

Why are you running this marathon?
    Because my mam told me I was too old to do it!!

I have two concerns that I'm looking for advise on:

1. I am away on holidays from 19th June till 10th July. How can I tailor the running plans to include my holiday? I will run on holidays but max distance I would manage in that heat would be 10 miles. I hope to be up to 15 miles before I go away. Anyone able to tailor the running plans to fit around my holiday??

2. When I come back I will be based in Wicklow and my running buddies Nicsx and NowOrNever are in Dublin. Anyone know of running groups around Wicklow/Arklow that meet to do LSRs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted to see this thread with so many in the same boat. I have trained for the DCM before getting upto 21miles on a LSR but had to stop due to injury.

Picked up another injury training in June of 2013 and have only started back training in the last couple of weeks. No real method or plan to my training at the moment, just glad to be out running again. Not looking for any PBs this year, all about getting the milage up.

•Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k- 01/04/2013 19.48
    10k- 01/05/2013 41.32
    half marathon- summer 2012- 1.46

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.

Running 3-4 times a week with distances ranging from 5-8km, roughly 25km p/week. Play astro football 1hr a week also.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Would love sub 4 hour

•How many days a week can you train?

•Why are you running this marathon?
    Bucket list- 30 next year

Would you have any recommendations as to what training to do prior to when the official training starts next month?

Cheers for taking the time to do this.

Joe

Hey Joe...:)
    Have a look at the opening post and you'll see a pre marathon training programme which brings you up to 20 miles per week by end of June.
    Hope you'll have a completely injury free training period this time round!

NotTooFast wrote: »

1. I am away on holidays from 19th June till 10th July. How can I tailor the running plans to include my holiday? I will run on holidays but max distance I would manage in that heat would be 10 miles. I hope to be up to 15 miles before I go away. Anyone able to tailor the running plans to fit around my holiday??

2. When I come back I will be based in Wicklow and my running buddies Nicsx and NowOrNever are in Dublin. Anyone know of running groups around Wicklow/Arklow that meet to do LSRs??
    Hi NotTooFast
    If you're following the DCM Novices Plan then the good news is that you don't have any run over 10 miles before you get back from hols, you only have runs of 3, 4, 8 & 10 miles and nothing over 8 miles if you're following Hal's Novice 1 plan. You should be fine and as long as you can do your best to get most of the runs in. Don't be afraid to take the pace down a further notch in the heat think about the effort expended as much as anything else and try to run early mornings or late evenings.
    I'm not sure about your second questions. Perhaps you could ask at your local running club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

NotTooFast wrote: »
    Hi, I have signed up for DCM ( it was a moment of madness!) and my running details are below:

Terenure 8km(2012) 49:00:00
    Mini Marathon(2013) 56:36:00
    Dublin rock and roll Half(aug 2013): 2:06:33
    Wexford Half( april 2014) 2:06:14

No
    3-4 days a week approx 20 miles a week
    current LSR distance 13 miles

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Finish it, I am not chasing any time at all but under 5 hrs would be nice!

4/5

Because my mam told me I was too old to do it!!

Hi NotToFast!

Regarding your point 2 above... I know there is a running group Coral runners in Arklow who do the LSR on sat morn every weekend... They are run by Mary Nolan Hickey who is the only woman to complete all Dublin marathons since the beginning and caters for all abilities. She runs the coffee shop in Arklow leisure centre you should drop in for a chat she always welcome to new people ...

Best of luck with your training I'm sure it will be no bother to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Hi NotTooFast
    If you're following the DCM Novices Plan then the good news is that you don't have any run over 10 miles before you get back from hols, you only have runs of 3, 4, 8 & 10 miles and nothing over 8 miles if you're following Hal's Novice 1 plan. You should be fine and as long as you can do your best to get most of the runs in. Don't be afraid to take the pace down a further notch in the heat think about the effort expended as much as anything else and try to run early mornings or late evenings.
    I'm not sure about your second questions. Perhaps you could ask at your local running club?

Also given that the 19th of June is a Thursday you could do your LSR before you go that week and also do one that weekend of your return so you will then be only trying to fit in 2 Longer runs while away. Id say as long as you keep the miles ticking over while you are away you will be fine. Its great your LSR is at that mileage already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 YourPaceOrMine

Hi, signed up because it's now or never!

Terenure 8km(2012) 48:00:00
    Mini Marathon(2012) 59:38:00
    Dublin rock and roll Half(aug 2013): 2:01:31
    Wexford Half( april 2014) 1:59:13

No
    3 days a week approx 20 miles a week
    current LSR distance 10 miles

Finish it, dream time would be 4.30 realistically 5 hours or more

Because for the first time ever I actually think I can do it!

Hi NotToFast!

Regarding your point 2 above... I know there is a running group Coral runners in Arklow who do the LSR on sat morn every weekend... They are run by Mary Nolan Hickey who is the only woman to complete all Dublin marathons since the beginning and caters for all abilities. She runs the coffee shop in Arklow leisure centre you should drop in for a chat she always welcome to new people ...

Best of luck with your training I'm sure it will be no bother to you...

Thanks a million. I will def look up Mary in Arklow that sounds perfect!

Hi, signed up because it's now or never!

Terenure 8km(2012) 48:00:00
    Mini Marathon(2012) 59:38:00
    Dublin rock and roll Half(aug 2013): 2:01:31
    Wexford Half( april 2014) 1:59:13

No
    3 days a week approx 20 miles a week
    current LSR distance 10 miles

Finish it, dream time would be 4.30 realistically 5 hours or more

Because for the first time ever I actually think I can do it!

Welcome to boards, but remember its always my pace ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Tues 13th may
    5k run

Knee felt okay during the run but it was in bits afterwards. My other knee is now a bit tender. Looks like i've tried to come back too fast from injury and made things worse. You try and tell yourself that it will be okay and its not that sore but you're only kidding myself. Seriously pissed off. I was never running better than i was up to 6 weeks ago when i got injured. Really have to sort this out. The pain is below the kneecap and to the outside. Iced the knee tonight and it felt better. It probably better for this to happen now than in 3 months time when i'm training for DCM. Plenty of stretches, foam rolling and knee strengthening exercises. It will probably be 2 to 3 weeks before i can run again. I'm told that swimming and cycling are a great help in this situation. Any ideas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tues 13th may
    5k run

Knee felt okay during the run but it was in bits afterwards. My other knee is now a bit tender. Looks like i've tried to come back too fast from injury and made things worse. You try and tell yourself that it will be okay and its not that sore but you're only kidding myself. Seriously pissed off. I was never running better than i was up to 6 weeks ago when i got injured. Really have to sort this out. The pain is below the kneecap and to the outside. Iced the knee tonight and it felt better. It probably better for this to happen now than in 3 months time when i'm training for DCM. Plenty of stretches, foam rolling and knee strengthening exercises. It will probably be 2 to 3 weeks before i can run again. I'm told that swimming and cycling are a great help in this situation. Any ideas ?

Go get it looked at by physio/doctor. Dont try and self diagnose yourself, i spent 8 months out from running with knee issues. If its bothering you enough to take time away from running go get it looked at properly. It may be something simple that just requires rest thats better than continuing running on it and possibly doing more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Did 6 miles tonight comfortable enough in 55 mins happy with that plenty room for improvement too

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭saucyjack

tang1 wrote: »
    Go get it looked at by physio/doctor. Dont try and self diagnose yourself, i spent 8 months out from running with knee issues. If its bothering you enough to take time away from running go get it looked at properly. It may be something simple that just requires rest thats better than continuing running on it and possibly doing more damage.

+1 for Tang1. I ignored a knee grumble for months John Mayo and when I finally went to GP (and onto physio then consultant) they found an 'obvious' MCL tear. On the bike and swimming post recovery from that and desperately hoping to get running again by month end. WISH I'd gone to GP a long time before I did - could already have been training for DCM 14. Wish you speedy knee improvement!

Tues 13th may
    5k run

John there are a couple of doctors based in Ballina medical centre who are really into running themselves, it would do you no harm to get it checked out. You were making great progress with your running, its a right dose for you been laid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Did my 6 miles @ mp yesterday home from work out the door armed with a banana, looking over the plan the max is 8 miles at mp is that enough? not even half distance of marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Was on to ballina medical centre. im on a cancelation list to see a iphysio on saturday morning.time to get this sorted.

Was on to ballina medical centre. im on a cancelation list to see a iphysio on saturday morning.time to get this sorted.
    That's great John, just make sure its one that understands running! let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Nicsx

Did 5.3 miles this evening. The ankle I hurt on Saturday felt good so did slightly more than the original plan but it felt good to be out again. I have to say I found it warm though - must remember water next time

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Did my 6 miles @ mp yesterday home from work out the door armed with a banana, looking over the plan the max is 8 miles at mp is that enough? not even half distance of marathon.

I didn't follow this plan myself last year Darren but from what I've seen of Novice marathon programmes, it would be quite good on the mp miles.
    If you find you need to be challenged a little more you could always add on a few mp miles to the end of your lsr. I'd usually do about 4 miles at the end of a 16-20 mile run at mp last year.
    Maybe just see how you go over the next few months. I know plenty of last years novices followed the plan with great success so I think you can be confident that it's a good plan and will set you up nicely for the big one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Ososlo wrote: »
    I didn't follow this plan myself last year Darren but from what I've seen of Novice marathon programmes, it would be quite good on the mp miles.
    If you find you need to be challenged a little more you could always add on a few mp miles to the end of your lsr. I'd usually do about 4 miles at the end of a 16-20 mile run at mp last year.
    Maybe just see how you go over the next few months. I know plenty of last years novices followed the plan with great success so I think you can be confident that it's a good plan and will set you up nicely for the big one.

If I was to do a few mp miles how many should I do in each lsr?

I used to do 4 at the end of the lsr but I didn't start doing that until late August.
    I'd say maybe just follow the programme as it is for a month or so (adding on miles rather than speed if you're ahead of the plan) and re-think it at that point depending on how your body is coping with the increase mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Last year, I used to do 'pick ups ' during my LSR ...
    Once I reached half distance , I would run 2 Miles close to Pace , and again would run the last 2 miles at Pace.
    My 2 cents ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

All the best folks. Yee are in great hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rebel hoop

6 miles easy pace yesterday evening...what a beautiful evening for running. Today is down as a rest day...very tempeted to go for a short run with the weather being so nice. Just to follow up on Darren 83 query about mp miles during a LSR...is there anything to be gained from it or am I just better off keeping it slow and easy? Going by the training programme I'm going to follow 5 miles is the most in any run I'm going to be running at mp...it seems very low would this be the norm? Also at what point do I decide what my marathon pace is going to be? at the moment I'm comfortable running 9 minute miles and run my LSR at 10 minute mile pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

am off to the physio this eve, my foot has been bothering me I think to do with wearing the wrong runners :( anyway best to get it sorted now. Have done about 16 miles this week between the 10 miler on Sunday and two club sessions during the week. Starting next week off with a 10K race on Sunday (all going well with the physio!) so will need to up the midweek mileage next week, love running in that warm evening weather, long may it last. Happy running folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

So first week and a slow start at a total of 11 miles.. Doing the Terenure 5 Mile on Sunday so will round out the week at 16 miles..

Exam over in 2 weeks so that will free up more time..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck on Sunday, I'm running that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday, I'm running that too.

All the cool kids are running Terenure on Sunday :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Goes right by my house so no excuse really...

Advertisement