Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2014: Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Cheers Ososlo and Adrian. I appreciate your input on my runs. Marley I did race it and was flat out on the Friday too. Going forward all my runs will be a lot slower. Thanks again lads.

Yeah just be really careful. We don't want to lose someone to injury, especially someone as fast as yourself:D Half the battle is managing the recoveries sensibly and getting to the start line in one piece. Just think stress, recovery, adapt and always follow a long or hard session with a recovery and you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Check out the mcmillan calculator.

You enter a recent race time and a target race tim.

e.g 20:26 for 5Km as your recent race and (say) 4 hour marathon as your target.

Click Calculate Paces, then click training paces on the left and will give you suggested paces for various training runs.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/calculator

In the example above you get easy runs at a pace of 4:45-5:22 m/km

and for long runs you get 4:46-5:34

Should give you an idea of the pace you should go at for most of your training runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    Cheers Ososlo and Adrian. I appreciate your input on my runs. Marley I did race it and was flat out on the Friday too. Going forward all my runs will be a lot slower. Thanks again lads.

Just to add to what Ososlo and Adrian have said, there is nothing wrong with have some faster running in your plan if you are used to it, just spread the work load out as your LSR is also classed as hard running as it stresses the body. So you could do your faster session Wednesday, easy recovery Thursday, rest Friday with LSR Saturday if you follow me. Well done on that fantastic 5 km time.

All right folks! Looks like we have a great big big group involved this year which is super! Lovely to see a few familiar faces usernames joining again this year for DCM Round II, and I’ll be expecting you guys to help me out so please share your experiences and advice!

We have a very committed gang of varying abilities and stages in their training. Some people are way ahead of the plan while others are just progressing nicely to get up to the required mileage for the beginning of the plan. It’s all good and we all just need to strike a balance as to a good healthy amount of training suitable for our capabilities. You alone know your body and how you’re dealing with the training you’re currently doing so best advice is to just listen closely to the body and if funny things start happening to you (physically, mentally or emotionally!!!) , back off and review where you are. As always, don’t be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they are stupid or embarrassing ones. Chances are someone around these parts has been through it before and can help you out.

The topic of diet arose this week and was addressed very well by some of our more experienced knowledgeable boardsies.
    You should use this pre-marathon part of training to ensure your diet is in order before the really serious training starts. If you’re eating unhealthily and are a bit overweight, now’s the time to sort it out. The less body fat you have on board for the marthon the easier it’ll be to get around on the day. You need to fuel yourself well to run well, and that means all the usual boring advice about getting your greens and natural unprocessed foods into you.
    If you’re underweight, you’ll need to up the calorie intake as the miles increase as otherwise you just won’t have the strenght to train optimally.

It also might be worth getting a blood test at some point over the next few weeks to ensure your blood levels are in order and make sure to get the doctor to check for the following especially:
    ferritin, haemoglobin, hematocrit, and total iron binding capacity.
    When you get your results, ask the doctor to give you a printout. I did this last year and even though my B12 levels were in the ‘healthy’ range and the doctor didn’t make anything of it, they were verging on dipping into the unhealthy range. Armed with the printout of my levels, I was able to do the research myself and get my b12 back up to a very good healthy level by adjusting my diet and I felt better for it.
    Most doctors and health professionals don’t really have a detailed understanding of runners' special needs so you might need to play a very active role yourself in ensuring you're as healthy as possible.
    Have a good week of training folks and keep posting your runs here or on your logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

To make my injury worse while laid up my brother in law arrived in to me today to tell me about his first ever Parkrun that he did!

What makes it worse is he did it in 18 mins after a gym session and GAA training the night before

Don't you just hate those people!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Well here's to a good week of many happy miles..

Finished the Terenure 5 mile yesterday with a PB of 39:02. Was delighted with that as i'm down over 3 minutes from last year!

Looking forward to a proper long run this weekend at a reduced pace.. Before joining this thread id go out on all my runs and try keep as close to a race pace as possible and the frustration as id start failing only a few km into a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Quiet week for me coming up, bit of a run later today. Tag rugby tomorrow, then 5km race in Phoenix Park on Thursday night. Feel like I've been a bit lazy in last few days, have to keep telling myself I was avoiding running an injury in.

It's actually something I really struggle with generally, it's not really overtraining, it's more I get a niggle and don't listen to it, then go and turn the niggle into an injury by running on it. I'm trying to reduce the niggles first and foremost by stretching/pilates etc; but when they do happen, I almost always try to ignore them. #sillybugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Jaysus! I missed the start and you're already 20 pages in on the thread. I'm in yet again, am I allowed be called a novice at this stage?!

Its going to take me ages to catch up on just the two opening posts!

Jaysus! I missed the start and you're already 20 pages in on the thread. I'm in yet again, am I allowed be called a novice at this stage?!

Ha ha sure why not join in the fun even though you're less a novice than the mentor!! With your experience you can be a glamorous assistant too if you like ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Yes not so noviced novice is the term for us. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Thanks Ososlo!

I have always found this thread an excellent opportunity to learn, rant, support and give support wherever I can. It is a super resource and I'm looking forward to 2014!

- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k - 24.53, parkrun in 2013
    10m - 88mins Race Series 2012
    1/2m - 1:53 Malta half marathon 2012
    Marathon - 4:30:28 - Dublin 2012

- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)
    No

- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    After being out for nearly a year with injury (Plantar Fasciitis & a torn achilles) I have been reasonable active since January 2014. I have only started back running in April 2014. I am currently training for TriAthy 2014 so i'm fairly active with swimming, bike and run sessions. However my longest run to date had been 8miles.

- What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream - my elusive sub4
    Reality - after being injured for so long I just want to get back running regularly again and if I beat my current PB by any distance I'll be happy.

- How many days a week can you train?
    As many as necessary. I've gotten used to swimming & cycling now so that'll take up any rest/XT days

- Why are you running this marathon?
    I started running to lose weight, I found out I enjoyed it and kept going. After 2 marathons I still feel as if I have unfinished business to complete. However as mentioned earlier, having been injured for so long has changed my outlook on running. I run now because I enjoy it, if I get faster and break personal records, then thats an added bonus.

Now back to page 1...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I need some help settling on a marathon training plan. At the moment I'm running about 40 miles per week. My week usually consists of:
    • 2-3 days of easy running, about 5-7 miles each sometimes with some strides included.
    • 1-2 Sessions, 1 interval based and 1 tempo based. (If racing that week or generally feeling tired I'll drop one of these)
    • 1 Long run or race.
    • 1-2 Rest days or recovery days where I will do about 3 miles.

I also try to fit in some core exercises and foam rolling about twice a week.

So in choosing a plan I am happy to train 6 days per week. I'd like to keep some sessions (Marathon pace or even 10K/5K pace) at least once per week. I'd also like some flexibility in terms of being able to schedule races at various points in the plan.

After having a look around I quite liked the look at the BAA.org plans. In particular I like the intermediate plan but am worried it may be just too many miles.

http://www.baa.org/programs/training-programs/marathon-training/intermediate-16-week-program.aspx

Each of the days has a range of miles so am unsure if I should jump in on this and just run the median miles for each day.
    So if it says 4-6 Miles I would run 5 etc.

There is also the Beginner plan that looks a little more manageable but my concern with this would be not doing enough miles (only 1 run above 18 Miles)

http://www.baa.org/programs/training-programs/marathon-training/beginner-16-week-program.aspx

I'd welcome any advice on all of this, I don't mind putting in the hours but I want to make sure I get the best value for the work I'm putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hi adrian, I followed the BAA advanced plan for my marathon that I completed in April.

I found it very good and not too heavy. The easy day/hard day element was very welcome and helped me avoid injury.

I wouldn't get bogged down about running the 'median' of miles and just run based on how you feel on the day. e.g. if tired, run the bottom end.

You can always do the beginner plan and do some longer runs. or start at the beginner for a couple of months and then jump into the i'mediate if you need an additional stimulus.

I really liked the plan and am considering it again for Dublin.

Thanks AMK, I think I'll stick with the BAA plan and see how I get on with it and not get too hung up on what end of the scale I am running each session on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Laois_Man, Mrs. Laois_Man, Little Laois_Man and other family members have been away for the last week celebrating my 40th birthday. So as you can imaging, my diet all week was atrocious. But I still managed to get in 23 miles over the week so it wasn't a complete write off of a week. Some of those miles were a big struggle due to said diet. And some new learnings.....don't ever do part of a run all around a golf course with very steep hills. Not clever.

Anyway. Time to get back on track. Was gonna do a belated weekend LSR tonight but having just got home at lunch time today, I'm absolutely wrecked. Might just do 4 easy miles and hopefully sweat out the last remnants of the gluttonous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Here's a rough mapping of the 2014 route which shows the elevation
    http://www.runningmap.com/?id=724703

26.92 miles? Better up the training!

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Vico1612

adrian522 wrote: »
    26.92 miles? Better up the training!

I did say ' rough mapping ' ;)

3 Recovery miles tonight. Still pretty stiff from yesterdays race, calf in particular felt tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Thanks AMK, I think I'll stick with the BAA plan and see how I get on with it and not get too hung up on what end of the scale I am running each session on.

+1 on the baa plan. I stayed at the lower end of the mileage for London and really enjoyed the training.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gavlor, I reckon that's what I'll do, stick to the lower end so I don't over do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

That plan looks like the one for me too, any of the others I looked at had not as much mileage as I had in my head to do, I think I'll stay at the lower end of the mileage for this one though. Seems to have the balance right. Haven't calculated when it starts yet, 1st week of July yes?

Just over 4 miles ran at lunch time today, bit tougher than an easy run normally feels, not sure why!

Well here's to a good week of many happy miles..

Finished the Terenure 5 mile yesterday with a PB of 39:02. Was delighted with that as i'm down over 3 minutes from last year!

Looking forward to a proper long run this weekend at a reduced pace.. Before joining this thread id go out on all my runs and try keep as close to a race pace as possible and the frustration as id start failing only a few km into a run!

Congrats on the race neil. Great time and lovely to see improvements like that.
    Makes it all worthwhile:D

JohnDozer wrote: »
    That plan looks like the one for me too, any of the others I looked at had not as much mileage as I had in my head to do, I think I'll stay at the lower end of the mileage for this one though. Seems to have the balance right. Haven't calculated when it starts yet, 1st week of July yes?

Just over 4 miles ran at lunch time today, bit tougher than an easy run normally feels, not sure why!

To hit DCM on Oct 27th you start the week of 7/7 however I'm going to start it a week early to give me a bit of leeway in case I get sick or miss a few sessions or end up taking a weeks holidays or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

To hit DCM on Oct 27th you start the week of 7/7 however I'm going to start it a week early to give me a bit of leeway in case I get sick or miss a few sessions or end up taking a weeks holidays or something.

Good thinking, I'm away in Germany last week of July and first week of August too which may interrupt plans some bit, but hopefully not too much. Is it a good idea to plan as if you're going to miss the weeks, and then just repeat them if it works out that you don't miss any at all. What way have people approached that scenario?

Are people running a plan in the meantime, or just getting miles in?

Good thinking, I'm away in Germany last week of July and first week of August too which may interrupt plans some bit, but hopefully not too much. Is it a good idea to plan as if you're going to miss the weeks, and then just repeat them if it works out that you don't miss any at all. What way have people approached that scenario?

Some people like to schedule an extra week in their plan, personally I didn't do this so I can't really advise you there. Maybe it's no harm.

There's a pre-marathon training plan that you could jump into listed on the first post or just continue with your current training and sensibly/gradually work up the distances in the first week of the training plan you're going to follow between now and then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Jaysus! I missed the start and you're already 20 pages in on the thread.

A tip, change your settings to 40 posts per page its what all the kool kids are doing...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks Ososlo! Good morning all.

I have just joined as was always advised this thread is excellent for help/advice and support for the DCM. I'm entered into the race series with the long term aim then of doing this years marathon but will see how I get on. I'd like to get a training calendar that extends my distances and incorporates the Dublin Race Series.

*- Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)*
    5k - Grant Thornton Corporate Challenge Sept 2013 - 23.04
    10km - Samsung Night Run April 2014 - 50.41
    10m - 1.24 Race Series 2013
    Laura Lynn Half Marathon - April 2014 1.49

*- Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training ? (No problem if you do)*
    No

*- How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.*
    I cycle to work daily and sail at least once a week. I trained for the Laura Lynn Half Marathon in 38 days and started with a base distance of 5 miles. I ran 7 miles last night and would aim to run at least 3 times a week with long runs on the weekend.

*- What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? *
    Dream - my elusive sub4
    Reality - To run a marathon

*- How many days a week can you train?*
    3-4

*- Why are you running this marathon?*
    If I don't do it now I never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I started the plan novice 2 and I'm on my fifth week. Last year I got injured two months before DCM so I have plenty of time to recover incase of injury or sickness, I'm coming down with something at the moment so won't be doing much this week as I have a busy week and don't want to run my self down even more.

I also will be away for a week so when I come back Ill just repeat the previous week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

I have just started a HH 12 week training plan for a half marathon the August bank holiday. Now when i say i am a plodder i am indeed a plodder. I am just looking for some advice please. If after the half i decided to go for the marathon in October what would the best way to go about training for it from finishing the half that weekend. Sorry if it shouldn't be in this thread.

Advertisement