Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Got onto the N7 this afternoon and there was a HGV in front of me with muddy tyres.

Complete front end covered in small stones. I was expecting my windshield to crack or something.

Checked the dashcam footage, it appears the HGV's rear registration was so dirty it cannot be seen, looks like it's blurred or something. There was a truck overtaking it going 0.5 km/h faster and I could see the plate clearly.

Looked for damage now, doesn't seem like there is any but it always looks better in rain.

What's the best way of washing all the stone bits that are now stuck to the car? I guess power washing it is bad because the pressure will push the stones towards the paintwork and will ruin it even more?

I just don't understand why HGV drivers go onto building sites and then jump straight back onto a national road where speeds are high and muddy tyres can do some damage... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Snow foam is your man! Use a dedicated foam or you can use shampoo as a foam, apply to the whole car, leave it dwell for 5/10 minutes and pressure wash off, that should limit the damage as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

Snow foam is your man! Use a dedicated foam or you can use shampoo as a foam, apply to the whole car, leave it dwell for 5/10 minutes and pressure wash off, that should limit the damage as much as possible.

Never thought about it!

I have a snow foam lance and snow foam!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

cian1500ww wrote: »

I got one during the summer and it does grand for washing the car on a saturday morning and power hosing the house!

I bought a replacement hose for it thats 10m, makes life a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Fantastic machine; have mine over 6 years and never missed a beat! Touch wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I see MrDetailIreland is closing his products shop! Not much left just picked up some soft99 and car chem glass sealant! Nice discount! Pity to see him go was the only supplier of soft99 products in Ireland I knew of.

There is/was a shortage worldwide on Fusso....been told it won't be sorted until Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CARPRO HYDRO2FOAM is amazing! Used it today using the snow foam bottle. Totally different way of washing than I'm normally used to but much quicker given the irish wintry weather.
    Loving the beading so far

It's a dead handy product to have when you are in a rush, for sure! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Agent_47 wrote: »

For €55 you cant go wrong. Good products and you wont buy them separately for that price. If I wasn't already up to my neck in cleaning products I would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Thought that and you get a bag! Have enough exterior products but no interior so will collect and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ya I got that last year. Like it was said if you were to buy everything individually it would cost far more than 55. I found it good, still have 1 or 2 bits left, and of course the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Apart from not looking great, is there any great harm in leaving a car dirty?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Other than bird droppings, not really. It's better to leave it like that and wash it properly than to give in and have it washed poorly by bringing it to a brush wash or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The main issue I have with leaving it dirty is Idle minded people with nothing better to do the swipe their hands across the bonnet or anywhere else sayng,
    "You are slipping up, You would want to give it a wash"

Leaving nice grit scratched in the paint.

Yea it could do with a wash - 19th September and counting....:o

I could top that!! Oh the shame! :(:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Or the ammm, shall we say, "immature drawings" that often feature on the boot......

• Advertisement

Ah janey it's not that bad. In mitigation there is only 1300 Km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The main thing to do when it's washed next is to use pressure wash as much of the heavy stuff off as possible before there's a mitt put near the paint :)

If there's any bird bombs, you should wipe these off as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The main thing to do when it's washed next is to use pressure wash as much of the heavy stuff off as possible before there's a mitt put near the paint :)

If there's any bird bombs, you should wipe these off as soon as you can.

I find that bird crap doesn't really do any harm this time of year in this sort of weather, unless it's a particularly bad bombing. It's when you leave it on a car sitting in summer sun and it bakes onto the paint that it causes grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I find that bird crap doesn't really do any harm this time of year in this sort of weather, unless it's a particularly bad bombing. It's when you leave it on a car sitting in summer sun and it bakes onto the paint that it causes grief!

My current car had signs of a bomb left for a while by the previous owner :P

Thankfully I was able to polish it off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Curran wrote: »
    I could top that!! Oh the shame! :(:p

You know what to do #hydro2foam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

With all this talk of Hydro2foam (God that sounds like a badly named cartoon supervillain!) I will have to try it (once my 50Cal Ambush foam bottle runs out, probably in 2017 sometime)

Then again, I was thinking of getting a DAS6 after Christmas as a "little treat" so I will be bugging people for advice on pads, polish, finishing, buffing, etc. I've always been a hand polished and buffed man.

Mc Love wrote: »
    You know what to do #hydro2foam

Judging by the forecast, Friday looks decent but cold. So may get a chance to wash the car - might even get a video of it in action! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Curran wrote: »
    Judging by the forecast, Friday looks decent but cold. So may get a chance to wash the car - might even get a video of it in action! :)

Please do... I've been looking at this stuff since you and Vectra have been waxing lyrically about it :). And with my new car only weeks away would like to know more about applications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Please do... I've been looking at this stuff since you and Vectra have been waxing lyrically about it :). And with my new car only weeks away would like to know more about applications etc.

I havent used it (Yet)
    Not sure if I will or need to, I would suggest CQUK on the new car.
    Mine was quite mucky with the past few days as I had to drive down and back a road where tractors were in and out of fields leaving Muck on the road which was disgraceful.
    Had not got a chance to wash it myself due to the weather but gave up looking at the state of it, so took it to the local jetwash and threw in €2
    Pressed the button for rinse and gave the lance 10 seconds with the trigger pressed to clear any product that may be in it since the last user.
    The only dirt on it now are little Soot spots from Chimneys.
    Absolutely thrilled with this stuff.
    Also the Dlux is really working great on the wheels. Blast of the washer and as good as spotless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I'm gonna buy this stuff soon too, a present for the vRS! :)

Advertisement