Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

That looks to be the job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

JoeA3 wrote: »
    One car cleaning job I absolutely detest and can never do properly is clean the inside of the windscreen. Complete pig of a job. And you think you've done it only to drive into the sun and see loads of streaks!

Well I finally found the answer. Get down to Lidl, pick this up for €4. I can confirm its genius, does exactly what it says on the tin!

The handle is telescopic and the head is thin enough to get right into the corners and bottom of screen with minimum effort. It comes with a couple of microfibre "socks" that you pop onto the head.

EA9042DA-7BB4-48C3-9943-A094F0F16688_zpsyxphoeuo.jpg

Does it have a flexible head???

Angle on head doesnt look like it fit all way down on my car's, to much angle on screen and dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

edburg wrote: »
    Does it have a flexible head???

Angle on head doesnt look like it fit all way down on my car's, to much angle on screen and dash.

If the head is tilted the other way the angle is much shallower and will get in anywhere. Great job altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yeah the head swivels in every direction. I was able to get right down into the base of the screen and all around into the corners with it.

Excellent find for the less flexible detailer indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,981 ✭✭✭cena

Dealz sells them for 1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Don't think this warranted it's own thread just looking for a few tips :).

I generally keep my car spotless polish wax de tar etc but all my other cars the paintwork was pretty much spotless.

On the new car it was given as much love and it badly needs to be restored it's driving me demented when it's clean it's all I can see. Little marks everywhere :mad: stupid black car.

Just looking for best way and things to buy if I was going to restore it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

cena wrote: »
    Dealz sells them for 1.49

Can't find them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Don't think this warranted it's own thread just looking for a few tips :).

I generally keep my car spotless polish wax de tar etc but all my other cars the paintwork was pretty much spotless.

On the new car it was given as much love and it badly needs to be restored it's driving me demented when it's clean it's all I can see. Little marks everywhere :mad: stupid black car.

Just looking for best way and things to buy if I was going to restore it myself.

By hand, something pretty aggressive like AutoGlym's SRP on a heavy cut pad would do a decent job, a machine polish would be the way to go though, really brings it up.

By hand the best you will do is hide swirls (assuming the car is fairly new) and with an older car, if the paintwork has lost a bit of depth and gloss, you will be able to restore a bit. Hand polish will give the appearance that the swirls have been removed, but in reality its fillers in the polish, and they will eventually wash out of the paintwork, and you are back to square one. If you polish it, and importantly protect the polish then with a wax or sealant, and do it every 2-3 months, you will be able to keep the car looking well.

The only permanent solution would be to machine polish the paintwork.

• Advertisement

I was afraid the answer would be machine polish. I haven't got one and not sure if I'd trust myself to do it :o

I was afraid the answer would be machine polish. I haven't got one and not sure if I'd trust myself to do it :o

Bring your car to Elite Auto Clean and let them do it for you. It'd only take 30 mins or so.

Bring your car to Elite Auto Clean and let them do it for you. It'd only take 30 mins or so.

30 minutes really?

Think he has mixed your post up with someone elses post about polishing head lights!

Ah jaysus what have I done?! :pac:

Sorry Marty, for some reason I thought you were on about headlights :o

Curran wrote: »
    Think he has mixed your post up with someone elses post about polishing head lights!

Yea they'd be doing well to do a paint correction in 30 minutes :)

Yea they'd be doing well to do a paint correction in 30 minutes :)

Especially on a Bimmer roundel.gif

I thought the same myself but it's the opposite really! I picked up the entire kit when doing mine, DA Pro, 3 cutting pads, 3 different Polishes, all for €250.would be worth getting one and attacking it yourself!

I would agree with FN. Once you have all the stuff you have it not only for the main job but if you have any new scratches down the line just like FN did :D

They are very handy to have! I'm going to be doing mine again once it gets repaired as there's spots I'm not too happy about and I'm going to focus on the boot/bonnet/bumper a bit more.

• Advertisement

How far do you guys go when cleaning/detailing your cars people??

I know some of you have brand new cars so probably don't go far, but my mental state has no barriers when this time year comes around and start taking the Astra apart and taking the detail a touch far possibly. :eek:

Last winter I stripped the rear inner arches back and cleaned and anti-corrosion waxed the area plus cleaned and treated said plastic inner arch.
    archwax2.jpg

cleaned
    archwax6.jpg
    archwax7.jpg
    Waxed
    archwax8.jpg

This winter the front end is getting the same treatments and anything plastic removed and treated
    DSC_0175.jpg
    DSC_0174.jpg

Plus area under the wiper arm plastic panel, waxed last year but needs cleaning and touching up.
    DSC_0169.jpg
    DSC_0168.jpg
    other side cleaned
    DSC_0171.jpg

Behind the front inner arches I actually found enough wet mud/muck to make 2 large mudballs in my hands.

Respect dude! ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's some dedication!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I thought taking the wheels off was too much!

Gave them a good clean and then some of this stuff
    WAC_303-3.jpg

21c5q8n.jpg

wqx8hh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Finally gave in to all the hype and bought some Fusso and King of Gloss!!

Cannot get over the size of the tins.

Can't wait to try it out the long weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Lads, I have the use of a DA from a mate. I can't afford to have the car sent to a pro at the moment.

I want to give the car a once over. Have some Meguiars ultimate compound and polish ready to go. Can someone recommend what pads I will need for these? I am pretty confident that I won't mess up using the DA, have read many guides etc

The car is 2002 golf LC6X paint code, the paint is in good condition apart from all the swirls that would come with a 13 years old car that has been through too may car washes.

Aim is to get rid of the swirls and breath a bit of life back into the paint.

thanks

Traditional foam type: Chemical Guys Hex Logic, or Lake Country pads

Being on a DA with though VW paint; Microfiber Pads offer extra cutting ability, Chemical Guys do a range

If looking for further cut again; CarPro make pads that represent 2000 and 3000 grit sandpaper. Their Denim and Velvet pads

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Finally gave in to all the hype and bought some Fusso and King of Gloss!!

Cannot get over the size of the tins.

Can't wait to try it out the long weekend!

Proper prep and you will be good to go.
    I would advise though. Give 2 coats of Fusso 24 hours apart, Leave it that and see what you think. I had a personal preference to Fusso on its own other than KOG on top. I found the beading was much better from fusso that it was from KOG.

KOG sounds more like something that should be applied directly to the paint, not on top of a wax like Fusso.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

KOG sounds more like something that should be applied directly to the paint, not on top of a wax like Fusso.

No,
    It is quite alright to use on top of Fusso, I just dont like the beading from it. To me it is more of a show wax.
    Then again, it could be the picky part of me seeing this :D

Advertisement