Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Curran wrote: »
    They must be available somewhere - a few years ago, a guy brought back a freshly detailed car, to be have one side re-done. He had driven along a hedge and tried a Magic Eraser to remove the marks that resulted - needless to say, it was worse again after!

A good leather cleaner, or microfibers in boiling water and when possible without scalding yourself, wrap them around the wheel, and let it sit for a bit, then clean with a mild APC. Might need to do it once or twice.

I have AG's leather cleaner that I haven't really used at all that I got a while back, any bit good?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Been using that fir a while as I was given a few bottles, Seems to do job, I do use a steam cleaner with a microfiber over head to open any pores on leather to. Then stick the old balm on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I have AG's leather cleaner that I haven't really used at all that I got a while back, any bit good?

I've no experience with the AG Leather Cleaner, but surely its better than nothing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I used bilt hambers surfex on the steering wheel in the merc. A 2 minute job with it neat brought it back to looking like new. What we thought was worn down leather in parts was actually layers of grime that had built up on it over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I used bilt hambers surfex on the steering wheel in the merc. A 2 minute job with it neat brought it back to looking like new. What we thought was worn down leather in parts was actually layers of grime that had built up on it over the years.

Surfex HD should be on every detailers shelf.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Surfex HD should be on every detailers shelf.

Along with most of the Bilt Hamber range! ;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I drove from Limerick to Dublin earlier and the car is detroyed with tiny flies stuck to the front and the screen. Anyone else notice this today? No amount of windscreen washing would move them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's the weather being unseasonably mild I'd give them another week or two before the fcuk off till next spring...

*Kol* wrote: »
    I drove from Limerick to Dublin earlier and the car is detroyed with tiny flies stuck to the front and the screen. Anyone else notice this today? No amount of windscreen washing would move them either.

See my thread on carpro advice.
    I stuck a video up of my car with lots of flies as well. The ease of removal from the paint was down to the CQUK coating but a dwell of Bilt hamber snow foam and agitated with a detailing brush brought the windscreen up spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

See my thread on carpro advice.
    I stuck a video up of my car with lots of flies as well. The ease of removal from the paint was down to the CQUK coating but a dwell of Bilt hamber snow foam and agitated with a detailing brush brought the windscreen up spotless.

Cheers. Am away for the weekend so hopefully the rain will have softened them up by the time I get back. I will at least have to clean the windscreen before I drive back down to Limerick. I must take a photo of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Lads, what I saw today would give you a heart attack. I'm over in Tanzania for work and I saw the local car wash in operation. It's the "small rains" here which is a small rainy season. That means heavy thundershowers turning the dust into a grand paste.

Anyway, the car wash. It was set up with a small bucket (a 5litre plastic bottle with the top lopped off, some brown water, a manky sponge and washing up liquid. They were scrubbing away like goodo with the filty water, manky sponge and no rinsing the car down. The one bucket did everything, prewash, wash and rinse before the bucket contents were used on the next car.

As for the types of vehicles being washed this way, some ordinary taxi's, private cars and I saw a newish (F10) BMW line up to get washed.

Oh it was painful to watch, but no pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Did you dare to ask em about 2BM, wool mitt and "drive me crazy towel" followed by Colli 845? :)

bbari wrote: »
    Did you dare to ask em about 2BM, wool mitt and "drive me crazy towel" followed by Colli 845? :)

No, as ii didn't want to be ringing work saying I'm stuck in the local hospital with the remains of a 5litre bottle being surgically removed from parts of my anatomy. I'm here to advise and mentor the hospitals on their lab operations, not to study their A&E setup

Edit, hang on, is my cleaning regime that widely known that it can be taken as the "only" way to clean a car? .......runs and ducks from the backlash........

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

ianobrien wrote:
    No, as ii didn't want to be ringing work saying I'm stuck in the local hospital with the remains of a 5litre bottle being surgically removed from parts of my anatomy. I'm here to advise and mentor the hospitals on their lab operations, not to study their A&E setup

Good call :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I need a new Nilfish power washer, my one is acting up after 3 years of use.

Anyone recommend a good place to buy a Nilfish?

Thanks.

Thanks.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1577941.htm

Good deal?

Thanks.

I bought this earlier in the year.
    Great washer so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K6C5YZ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Just spotted there that this one looks a very good price at the moment..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K6C5Z20

I bought this earlier in the year.
    Great washer so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K6C5YZ8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Just spotted there that this one looks a very good price at the moment..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K6C5Z20

Thanks Vectra.

Vax P86-P4-T sounds the job.

What snow lance do you use? I've a Nisfish one, will it connect it the Vax?

Thanks Vectra.

Vax P86-P4-T sounds the job.

What snow lance do you use? I've a Nisfish one, will it connect it the Vax?

No.
    I have an autobrite one with a Lavor fitting.

Bought one of these as a spare and it does exactly the same job.
    It does not feel as well built as the AB one but for what it costs.?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141732814690

No.
    I have an autobrite one with a Lavor fitting.

Bought one of these as a spare and it does exactly the same job.
    It does not feel as well built as the AB one but for what it costs.?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141732814690

Cool, I'll look into it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Nilfisk! Sorry I got more annoyed than I should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I mentioned the autobrite sale in the chat thread but will get more notice here. The sale is on until the 21st of this month. It might be useful for the likes of buying snowfoam in bulk. The delivery to IRL is €14.

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/sale-items.html?p=4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Cool, I'll look into it. :)
    The P86-P3-T is currently on sale for €140 in DID and €100 in Power City. Similar machine!

Hal1 wrote: »
    I mentioned the autobrite sale in the chat thread but will get more notice here. The sale is on until the 21st of this month. It might be useful for the likes of buying snowfoam in bulk. The delivery to IRL is €14.

http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/sale-items.html?p=4

AB snow foam will without doubt choke the filter on your foam lance.

Bilt Hamber or Valet pro ph neutral
    Great foams.

millington wrote: »
    The P86-P3-T is currently on sale for €140 in DID and €100 in Power City. Similar machine!

Thanks lad.

AB snow foam will without doubt choke the filter on your foam lance.

Bilt Hamber or Valet pro ph neutral
    Great foams.

I've found their Magifoam to be fairly aggressive too - good at cleaning, but dont want something that will also strip away the fresh wax Ive just applied. Took off a coat of Petes53, pretty much in two washes! :(

All these AB haters in here :pac:

I not used mine long enough to not agree or disagree with that other than 3 wash with black car and AB wax still doing its job. That and I did get cocky and used wrong mix 1st time out and didn't read info provided.

Bilthamber foam is top notch though as I had used that for good few years before I changed.

No, not hating; they have some very good products in the range.
    Way back, was sold the Magifoam, as being 'wax safe' and was showing definite signs of stripping a fresh coat, after two washes.

Snowfoam is a tough one to strike the right balance. And many define a snowfoam as being good in different ways. For regular use, what you need is...
    - Something that will clean well, but being wax safe too; but some just look at the cleaning ability - nothing is touchless with our road conditions
    - Something that encapsulates that dirt and grit and safely carries it away from the paintwork; some like to see shaving foam thick foam that lasts ages, when in reality, its not needed.

For week to week washing, give me something that is wax safe with a decent cleaning, ability, that doesnt dwell too long.
    Having said that, there are occasions, when you plan to do a bit of a detail, when you might might want something to be a more aggressive cleaner, to dwell longer, so you can go around the tighter areas with a detailing brush etc.

Just joking on haters lol

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »
    Lads, what I saw today would give you a heart attack. I'm over in Tanzania for work and I saw the local car wash in operation. It's the "small rains" here which is a small rainy season. That means heavy thundershowers turning the dust into a grand paste.

Anyway, the car wash. It was set up with a small bucket (a 5litre plastic bottle with the top lopped off, some brown water, a manky sponge and washing up liquid. They were scrubbing away like goodo with the filty water, manky sponge and no rinsing the car down. The one bucket did everything, prewash, wash and rinse before the bucket contents were used on the next car.

As for the types of vehicles being washed this way, some ordinary taxi's, private cars and I saw a newish (F10) BMW line up to get washed.

Oh it was painful to watch, but no pictures.

Lads, the panic is over. I'm now is a small dusty town here (the first car wash was in Dar-es-Salaam) and I saw the local car wash. He had Snowfoam and a decent powerwasher! Some people here are doing it right.

The way they wash the cars would put most car washes to shame at home. Every car goes up on a ramp and is fully cleaned underneath and under bonnet also. I was looking at the engine bay of a 200k Lamdcruiser ambulance and it was almost as clean as the day it left the factory. The arches, axles, gearbox, etc was practically spotless after the trip to the local car wash. It seems that after every long drive, the car gets washed.
    Some are washed daily.

Advertisement