Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

zubair wrote: »
    This morning was bad but wasn't expecting to hit black ice on the way home. Needless to say the camera makes this look tame, bars and bike were all over the shop.

Nope nope nope.

No thanks ! And I ride all year round but took the car last two days. Just not chancing it can be affording broken limbs or broken bike at he mo

• Registered Users Posts: 34,256 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No way I'd be out with visible frost on the road

Looking like bus in the morning :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm fecked anyway. It's so cold out there that my bike won't start no matter what. At this point I'm just draining the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

2 Degrees in wicklow, 3 up from yesterday. not a bit of frost on the windows this morning and it was just damp on the ground.

night and day from yesterdays weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,256 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nearly slipped a couple of times walking to the bus stop even though there was no visible frost

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Folks,

These rider assements things(1,2,3), I've only seem them on Liberty's site for Insurance quotes but do they have any bearing for the likes or Carole Nash/Principle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Folks,

These rider assements things(1,2,3), I've only seem them on Liberty's site for Insurance quotes but do they have any bearing for the likes or Carole Nash/Principle?

I think they are done for AXA/AON as well, i'm unsure what impact have with insurance, but ROSPA is something they do recognise even more, i had to look up what that course was.

What are the costs of the assessments do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

No idea, but I'd say it costs more for the cert than you'd actually save on Insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

No idea, but I'd say it costs more for the cert than you'd actually save on Insurance..

You can get one free from your instructor when you complete your IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

mamax wrote: »
    You can get one free from your instructor when you complete your IBT

Think that cost refers to the rider assessment with Rospa instructors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

mamax wrote: »
    Took the car today and will until this cold snap is gone, can't be listening to herself goin on about it ;)

I take the bike usually, because I can't be listening to herself goin on about not having the car!

(I took the bike Tues and Weds to work (N Co Kidare to N Co Dublin) and it was dry but heavy frost on the saddle before going home at around 2am.

Looked at Weds forcast for Thu into Fri and originally it was meant to be rain/sleet/snow, but Thu lunchtime it was looking better. Took the car instead and it turned out warmer than both previous nights with no ice to clear. FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Brrr. Finally bit the bullet and ordered myself some Gerbing XR12 hybrid heated gloves

Tuesday can't come soon enough!

(this is the point where you all tell me I bought the wrong ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lumen wrote: »
    Brrr. Finally bit the bullet and ordered myself some Gerbing XR12 hybrid heated gloves

Tuesday can't come soon enough!

(this is the point where you all tell me I bought the wrong ones)

Heatwave from next Tuesday on!!:D:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I found it was much warmer this morning on the bike, its been a long week on the bike haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Never thought I'd be wishing for some rain.

Sadly my beloved Yolanda the Honda is on her way out. Years of neglect from the previous owners has caused some internal issues with the engine and frankly the overall costs of fixing her up are too much to justify.

So! A new bike is in the works and due to be collected next week

Dropping hints:

e9FfhYyl.png

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sadly my beloved Yolanda the Honda is on her way out. Years of neglect from the previous owners has caused some internal issues with the engine and frankly the overall costs of fixing her up are too much to justify.

So! A new bike is in the works and due to be collected next week

Dropping hints:

e9FfhYyl.png

Dragstar :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Whats wrong with the engine on the Deau?

Dragstar :p

>.>
    <.<
    Maybe

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Whats wrong with the engine on the Deau?

The last few months the engine has been cutting out on me mid-drive. She can take a long, long time to get running, with the choke up high/medium and even on a warm day.

And the other day I took a small spill on her and landed on the exhaust side (I'm fine, just bruised) and did some damage to the exhaust and it's now come lose and sheered off some bits.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    >.>
    <.<
    Maybe

The last few months the engine has been cutting out on me mid-drive. She can take a long, long time to get running, with the choke up high/medium and even on a warm day.

And the other day I took a small spill on her and landed on the exhaust side (I'm fine, just bruised) and did some damage to the exhaust and it's now come lose and sheered off some bits.

Did you get the repairs priced? Might not be as bad as feared. You trading it in against the new bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Engine cutting out sounds very like the fuel pump points burnt out, try running the pipe directly to the carb bypassing the fuel pump and keeping the tank full.
    That should tell you pretty quickly if its the pump.

Sadly it was quite extensive damage. The fuel pump was an issue. But after the accident the front left fork got quite bent, brake lines wrecked, front brake banjaxed. Fairing is very badly cracked at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Anyone ever have to order a registration plate for a bike?

I just completed the vrt and now need to get a plate. I believe the minimum road legal dimension is 170 by 110. If anyone can recommend anyone who can do a plate this size it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

banquet wrote: »
    Anyone ever have to order a registration plate for a bike?

I just completed the vrt and now need to get a plate. I believe the minimum road legal dimension is 170 by 110. If anyone can recommend anyone who can do a plate this size it would be appreciated.

Yes. Most motor factors would be able to do one for you. Where are you based? If in Dublin, I got one for €10 in the Southside Motor Factors http://www.smf.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Cork-got one in overdrive Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

GBX wrote: »
    Yes. Most motor factors would be able to do one for you. Where are you based? If in Dublin, I got one for €10 in the Southside Motor Factors http://www.smf.ie/

I'm in Rathmines so that will do nicely. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Not a bad day for it.
    20190204-151428.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Picked up my new wheels on Sunday, 151 Yamaha tracer 900. Was spotless when I picked it up, already covered in crap, hopefully these M7 roadworks will be finished early. I'll post some pics after I clean it in April.

Anyone interested in a CBF1000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Picked up my new wheels on Sunday, 151 Yamaha tracer 900. Was spotless when I picked it up, already covered in crap, hopefully these M7 roadworks will be finished early. I'll post some pics after I clean it in April.

Anyone interested in a CBF1000 :)
    Well wear zubair!
    A bike that I may pick up myself at some stage!
    Would like to know your thoughts on your one.

• Advertisement

Absolutely bucketing down rain in Cork today. It's just not stopping.

But, I passed my test! Full A Licence is mine. It rained the entire time, town was busy but traffic was flowing.

Advertisement