Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well another R1200GS joins my family!.

My son was deciding upon a Ducati Multistrada 950, a Triumph Explorer 800, an Africa Twin or a BMW R1200GS.

It was very close to the Ducati, he'd probably have jumped at that but (and this is two bikes now, maybe three) why do BikeW make it so easy to buy from other dealers!.

Got a great deal, with a full 12 month BMW warranty including EU wide road side assist 2015 R1200GS TE, with BMW hard luggage for a touch over €11k. Its got 17k and they're doing the 20k service (the biggie) before he picks it up.

I'll have photos to follow, probably next week.

I'll have to plan a little summer ride with him, Wales, Scotland or even the Wild Atlantic Way.

I was almost sold on buying the F850GSA, man she's a beaut.

I love my GS and dread the day I have to move it along, but I always said I'd get another (I've never changed one bike for a same, newer model).. Next time I'll look seriously at an F850GSA, so so fvcking nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Caught this absolute beauty on the new camera (Sena 10c Pro) yesterday

Texting while riding a bike.
    Like not texting with the phone in a cradle....
    Literally holding the phone with their left hand while driving..

Idiot!

grahambo wrote: »
    Caught this absolute beauty on the new camera (Sena 10c Pro) yesterday

Texting while riding a bike.
    Like not texting with the phone in a cradle....
    Literally holding the phone with their left hand while driving..

Idiot!

A BMW, and coming from the southside. Sure what do you expect :p

Btw your breathing makes you sound like a scuba diver :pac: (or a dirty phonecall)

A BMW, and coming from the southside. Sure what do you expect :p

Btw your breathing makes you sound like a scuba diver :pac: (or a dirty phonecall)

This has been said to me before. (and other members of my family, we call have it)
    Some sort of genetic fault

Also... don't be slagging beamers... they're deadly!

grahambo wrote: »
    This has been said to me before. (and other members of my family, we call have it)

Try holding your breath lol.

Jesus I tried to look at your GSA video and felt like I was suffocating lol.

I'm not mocking, just trying to be constructive but have you tried a different microphone maybe?.. The quality of the clips look excellent.

• Advertisement

Try holding your breath lol.

Jesus I tried to look at your GSA video and felt like I was suffocating lol.

I'm not mocking, just trying to be constructive but have you tried a different microphone maybe?.. The quality of the clips look excellent.

:o:o:o:o

It's not a Mic issue.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'd say the type of person that rides that is looking for a replacement for something else :pac:

I should switch to a Honda 50 so :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

hmmmm.

Speedo went and died on me yesterday aswell as the odometer/tripmeter. Was driving along and poof, nothing at all. RPM dial still works fine.

I'd guess a cable has gotten lose, but ballsed if I know how to properly check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sonics2k wrote: »
    hmmmm.

Speedo went and died on me yesterday aswell as the odometer/tripmeter. Was driving along and poof, nothing at all. RPM dial still works fine.

I'd guess a cable has gotten lose, but ballsed if I know how to properly check it out.

Could be worn on gearbox too, IIRC, you can just buy a new cable and it's a fairly handy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My last bikes Speedo would stop working in heavy rain, annoying. The sensor was on the front sprocket and was an easy fix.

• Advertisement

So done some routing around the wiring system, found a blown fuse that controls the ignition, so replaced that one and the dash came back on fully.

So then tried to start it up and it's not doing much in that area either.

There is a weird immobiliser or ex-alarm system still on the bike 'Meta Alarms', never knew it even had an alarm.

Then I routed around that, and noticed the starter circuit cut off relay from the manual, took that off tested with multi-meter, I am not getting an 0 ohms readings but at same time not getting continuity in both directions, so not entirely sure its a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Old alarms can cause a lot of hassle, if you aren't using it I would consider getting it removed professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    My last bikes Speedo would stop working in heavy rain, annoying. The sensor was on the front sprocket and was an easy fix.
    Aprilia sensors are notoriously troublesome.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Old alarms can cause a lot of hassle, if you aren't using it I would consider getting it removed professionally.

I was half thinking of taking it out myself? I am assuming it's just a case of removing carefully the wires one by one and splicing the joints back together.

There was actually a 15amp fuse blown on that system too, then the ex heated grips where butchered off the bike by the looks of things.

I'm plan was to trade it in for a GS from Joe Duffy. Anyone know what price they would give for an 05 FZ6 ? Just ball park, 2k? (FZ6 is a great little bike, but the N version and the mix of motorway I am using now doesn't make for the greatest of experiences and I have very little patients for bike trouble too).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TallGlass wrote: »
    I was half thinking of taking it out myself? I am assuming it's just a case of removing carefully the wires one by one and splicing the joints back together.

There was actually a 15amp fuse blown on that system too, then the ex heated grips where butchered off the bike by the looks of things.

I'm plan was to trade it in for a GS from Joe Duffy. Anyone know what price they would give for an 05 FZ6 ? Just ball park, 2k? (FZ6 is a great little bike, but the N version and the mix of motorway I am using now doesn't make for the greatest of experiences and I have very little patients for bike trouble too).

2k ? id say more like 1K tbh :(

Ah ****e. I just like the idea of the warranty with JD. I'll have to think about it. But about 500/600 into it and not sure how much this will cost so might be better keeping it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Ah ****e. I just like the idea of the warranty with JD. I'll have to think about it. But about 500/600 into it and not sure how much this will cost so might be better keeping it.

Did you look up models similar to your own on DD or Adverts to see what they are going for privately? Mate of mine paid €1500 for his 2000 FZ6 last year.

Did you look up models similar to your own on DD or Adverts to see what they are going for privately? Mate of mine paid €1500 for his 2000 FZ6 last year.

I'd say 2500 seems like a ball park figure, with about 600/700 quid put into it.

I wouldn't sell it like it is now nor a half botched job, so I will see how much this costs me to put right, I might end up just keeping it and picking up a GS second hand keep 3/4k spare then for anything think going wrong. Be looking minimum 10k from JD.

I'm gonna remove this alarm system as the first port of call anyway then go from there.

I did notice actually before all this, the hazard lights where tripping out. I just hope I don't end up having to take the entire loom out of the bike!

I don't suppose anyone know of anywhere I could find values for these tests I am performing with the multi-meter?

Example, (colors not exact) to test continuity on diode, put + on black and - on red, continuity should be 0 ohms but I am getting a reading of 0.879 is that okay? I'd have assume a reading of 0, consider there should be no resistance :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    Aprilia sensors are notoriously troublesome.

What is it with Italians and electrics...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What is it with Italians and electrics...

I don't know but I for one am willing to forgive them.

• Advertisement

So.....

About 2 hours later and one alarm removed (neatly) and she is back alive.

I have zero idea why it decided to just kick in the other day. Have it two years and never any hassle at all.

Bike is running but it is still in pieces, just glad its starting again, so when I am not so tired will put her back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I know this has been asked a million times but....
    Are the gatso van on the n7 able to catch you on your motorcycle?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No, only get front reg plates. If it was on a 2 way road, it could get you going the other way alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

infacteh wrote: »
    No, only get front reg plates. If it was on a 2 way road, it could get you going the other way alright.

Thank you.
    That's good to know got complacent tonight on the way to work ,went a little over the speed limit empty road ect.
    I wasn't expecting the van to be out so late.

There are cameras both front and rear of the vehicle that is certain, I’ve never heard of anyone on a motorcycle being caught by them.

Gatso van is predominantly a white transit that is Garda issue, I’m unsure as to whether these vans have a front camera or not.

The GoSafe vans that are highly visible are privately operated and do have the camera to the front.

Its 4 years since I met an actual gatso van, that was near newlands cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

All the Garda Gatso's are gone now, since, last year, only GoSafe's left

Hopefully this video clears it up.

0.35 seconds in. Cameras only work from back of van.

They can also catch vehicles moving away from the van, that's an interesting one, i thought it was only as you were moving towards it.

He said they have reduced deaths by 50%
    Is he taking credit for all the lives or is total a lot more than 50%?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Thank you very much :D:D You have just blown another urban myth. Shame on you Tallglass :)

Advertisement