Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options
1349350351352353355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

RIP. Poor Chap. I hate the M50 on the bike, I rarely use it now on it only unless I really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Some years it does. One year a while back a single incident with a stolen bike was nearly 10% of the total motorcycle fatalities for the year.

Sad to hear.

Not saying it's the case in this incident, but the gardai can't spot HGV drivers on phones etc. In some countries the police hire coaches so they can spot coach and lorry drivers on phones. Imagine them going to that sort of effort here!!!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

For HGV i'd be more worried about blind spots, even if they've the eyes open the huge arrears they can't see.

While in the car I got merged into by a HGV on the M9 years ago while traffic was all messed up due to roadwork I'd a concrete barrier on one side and the truck on the other, little damage to driver door and no injuries but still that's me in a car and a lot more visible than a bike and he noticed quick.

I go by if I can't see the driver (straight on or in they're own side mirrors) then he can't see me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Never stay alongside a hgv for longer than a few seconds. It's behind. Or quick pass to get out of it's way.

Nearly 20 years ago I was driving the wife's little Corsa at the (then) end of the M9, it merged back into a single carriageway. We'd passed a HGV about a km before, and at this point the speed limit dropped substantially so I slowed down, the HGV just got closer and closer like something out of Duel 😮 until it was practically on our bumper, spotted a Garda car on speed trap, didn't want to speed up but felt very threatened, I actually think he was on the phone or something and didn't look up and once we were too close couldn't be seen. Then he seemed to realise we were there and backed off substantially. It was terrifying.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Moral of the story is stay the f**k away from a truck! 40 tonnes will always win any dispute.

Wasn't much choice, I was on the left in slow moving but moving traffic (roadworks + resurfacing) with traffic in front when he came up on the right then after a while merged into the left on top of me.

Roadworks had the left lane in the hard shoulder, so it was him to the right, a car in front, and a concrete barrier on the left.

Lane split and out of danger for me.

Always limit danger by decision.

This was in car so no lane splitting there, point being they've huge blind spots and can't even see cars sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Hey, whats peoples recommendations for a phone mount? Quadlock with anti vibration seems to be the one. Anyone have the wireless charging one?

• Advertisement

Being honest. I picked one up off Ali express and it's exact copy of the quad lock without the marketing budget. Including anti vibration. It's been flawless . I'd try it before throwing huge money at them most of that cash is marketing.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGD35cr

Mine came with 3M tape also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I only recently fitted the wireless charging one, works fine. The only issue i have with it is that i ordered the one that connects directly to the battery rather than the USB connector…. and they sent me the USB connector one. I needed it for a couple of long rides (work related so needed to be having Waze running) so i just fitted it. I need to bet an adaptor that'll take a feed directly form the battery rather than having the USB port open all the time but its only a small irritation for now.

I know I could have sent it back with out any problem but I needed it so kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wouldn't mount my phone on the bike… keep it in your pocket & get a Beeline, Garmin, Chinese Android Auto for GPS etc.

Personally I have the new Beeling ordered as it lookd good on the bike and should give me all the info I need without taking over the cockpit…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

I use quadlock for around the city. But on the longer trips I use my Garmin,
    The Garmin gives me alot more information about upcoming turns and the roads, but the mounts are so expensive for the Zumo XT.

The Quadlock is nice, but I find the notifications get distracting, I tend to put it into Do not disturb so the notifications don't come up

I got the chigee aio-5 though so now stuck that mount on my mountain bike.

Unit smashes anything the competition has out imo currently.

Do you need to turn the wireless charger on or off? I had a mount (cheap one), can't remember the brand. It had wireless charging, but connected to the battery. You had a tiny 3 way switch on the back to change it from usb/wireless/off and it was impossible to know if it was off and it killed my battery. So definitely want something that won't do something like that again

I have a zumo (old one, but map updated) but I'd rather google maps or waze. But yeah, notifications off, I do that in the car too. I won't have headphones anyway, just look down the odd time, or tells me the handiest way to get somewhere without me having to think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The new Beeline Moto ii (launched in the next 4 weeks) has partial maps… so there is context to the navigation and not just an arrow…

That actually looks pretty good. A lot better than the original. Definitely an option. It uses it's own app maps? Presumably doesn't include traffic info, although not really important for my use. how the app finds things would be an option. Basically what turned me off garmin, typing in locations was a pain, they never found them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭TheRona

I keep my good phone in my pocket and use Honda Roadsync for short journeys if I need basic navigation.

Have a cheap Quadlock knock-off and mount an old spare android as a dedicated navigation device on long journeys. Cost me about €3 or €4.

I've the old one and like it. Would like the new one but can't justify spending it when I've got one. battery lasts forever.

The place searching and the satellite map is from google, but the road network and routing is Mapbox. No traffic, and don't know about roadworks and the like as I've never hit any.

Mapbox had an issue a while ago where they'd all N roads in Ireland listed as motorway but only for the motorcycle routing so if you click no motorways you'd get a weird ass journey. I contacted them and they fixed it quick enough, their maps also has option to highlight stuff and mistakes. A lot better response than anytime I tried google for that.

Journeys have 2 main option fast and fun, and can also set it to do round trips and set a distance you want route to cover so if your only going a short route you can make it longer.

Also a bicycle mode that do a lot of that too but also takes elevation into account, if you happened to also cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I don't like the idea of mounting the phone, my phone cost more than some of my bikes.

If I need nav I stick on google maps and let it dictate to my helmet speakers. Rode across Europe a couple of times and never got lost. I did miss an exit in Germany though but that was because at every exit I giggled like a child at the 'Ausfahrt' sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Breezin

I have a cheap Android that does everything I want it to and a waterproof Amazon holder. I've done two European tours on it and it worked OK, apart from getting overheated in Spain, so I might get an even cheaper phone just for Nav.

Now experimenting with OSMAnd. It's a bit geeky and non-intuitive, but can open proper gpx files unlike G Maps.

Mounted my S24 Ultra and S23Ultra before that on the bike. Zero issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I use an Ultimate Addons mount and case on my Tiger. No issue with the phone. Some phones have optical image stabilisation which the vibrations can kill on a bike. Thats where the Quad Lock add in helps.

If you don't mount the phone correctly, it might come off. If you get into a bad smash, the phone is likely the least of your worries.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 645 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

My brother got a small bit of land in the middle of nowhere. I was thinking of getting him a small pitbike or mini scrambler to pottle around in. Anybody had any experience with the stomp bikes? Its not going to get used that much and I dont want anything too fast so I don't need a monster 2 stroke thingy.

Advertisement