Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

D3V!L wrote: »
    I recently came across a newish bike dealer in Dublin that had a lot of retro Jap import bikes. They seem to be flipping quite a few of them but one thing that concerned me is they weren't offering a warranty of any kind.

Does anyone know if this is legal ? I had my eye on one or two bikes there but I'm a little hesitant.

If its retro, would a warranty be worth much anyway? Fair enough on a new bike but imo it leaves it open for dealer to say - "wasn't like that when I sold it" type of excuse. Would be hard to prove otherwise id have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Looking for chain riveting recommendations.
    Would a cheap one like this do? Or would it be as useless as chocolate in the sun!!!
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074V3VT6C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mrxACbGKCNP8W
    Or would I need to spend a bit more on something like this?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007MLLJ2I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UsxACbG10VG5T

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have the cheap one works perfectly fine.

Don't

Don't

Don't over tighten .

Make sure you have a veneer calipers to measure the compressed head.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If breaking a chain, don't press the pin out without using a grinder and taking the ends off a link.
    There are different types of staking on different chains, some have hollow rivets and some have a quad stake.
    You need to match the tool to the chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Lads and lassies in Cork City keep your bikes locked up, someone tried to rob my Bike during the night. They didn’t get it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lads and lassies in Cork City keep your bikes locked up, someone tried to rob my Bike during the night. They didn’t get it though.

How's the bike holding up? All good now I guess?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    How's the bike holding up? All good now I guess?

She’s great :D

Apart from some delinquents attempting to steal it.

Just have to tighten my already tight security arrangements.

How is yours going for you?

New bike is amazing, I'll get some pics up when the weather improves.

My only disgust right now is finding out last night that my boots (both of them) have a leak in them, feet were absolutely drenched last night so I'll have to try and get out early today to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My only disgust right now is finding out last night that my boots (both of them) have a leak in them, feet were absolutely drenched last night so I'll have to try and get out early today to replace them.

Did I miss something, you changed the bike?.

I was almost tempted myself, well toyed with the idea after seeing the Royal Enfield Himalayan in Bike World today.

I knew it was getting good press but didn't think it would be anything once I got to look at it, but for €6500 on the road its an impressive package.

I may be taking it out for the day next week or the week day, I'm looking forward to it tbh.

Last time I rode a 400cc single was my sons Suzuki DRZ400sm. It was a great commuter but I'd be afraid I'd grow bored with it very quickly, this and I absolutely love my R1200GS.

Plus I read of rumor that Royal Enfield are planning a 650 engined Himalayan!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Would ye not consider the new Moto Guzzi V85 instead Makikomi :o

Absolutely love the styling, hopefully it's as good as it looks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm keeping a close eye on the news for the 650 myself. My missus was very tempted by the current one but supposedly they top out at 100kph which is far too slow for any motorway driving.

Did I miss something, you changed the bike?.

I was almost tempted myself, well toyed with the idea after seeing the Royal Enfield Himalayan in Bike World today.

I knew it was getting good press but didn't think it would be anything once I got to look at it, but for €6500 on the road its an impressive package.

I may be taking it out for the day next week or the week day, I'm looking forward to it tbh.

Last time I rode a 400cc single was my sons Suzuki DRZ400sm. It was a great commuter but I'd be afraid I'd grow bored with it very quickly, this and I absolutely love my R1200GS.

I did, only about two weeks ago.

Sadly the Deauville was having a few engine issues (shutting off randomly, while moving and more), and after the recent ice and my sudden impact with the ground there was too much damage to her. Took her to 3 separate mechanics who all quoted well above her actual value to fix.

Traded her in with JT at nearly full value for another bike, plus I paid some cash too.

Back riding around on cruisers again for the first time in years and absolutely loving every ride, even in the ****e rain lately. Yamaha Dragstar 650 Classic. I'll be getting some photos up when the weather improves.

You probably would have gotten a new pair as part of the deal from JT.

I've a set of richa boots, cost me €65, grand job they are.

Did you get sorted with a replacement?

Any recommendations on gloves? i've richa gloves as well and they do the job, however if i've been on the bike for a while and take them off, they can be difficult enough to get back on due to the material inside them.

Do, would be nice to see some pictures of her :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'm keeping a close eye on the news for the 650 myself. My missus was very tempted by the current one but supposedly they top out at 100kph which is far too slow for any motorway driving.

Have you called into BW to have a look yet?.

Only downside to what you're looking at is the hard luggage for the Himalayana is an additional €700 :eek::eek:

They're a tubed tire too, pain in the ass with punctures.

But a really nice bike, I was really surprised. But if there is a 650 in the pipeline that 400cc aint' going anywhere.

Have you called into BW to have a look yet?.

Only downside to what you're looking at is the hard luggage for the Himalayana is an additional €700 :eek::eek:

They're a tubed tire too, pain in the ass with punctures.

But a really nice bike, I was really surprised. But if there is a 650 in the pipeline that 400cc aint' going anywhere.

We did indeed , the Honda CRF250 is looking more appealing to her at the moment. I managed to talk her out of the RE.

listermint wrote: »
    I have the cheap one works perfectly fine.

Don't

Don't

Don't over tighten .

Make sure you have a veneer calipers to measure the compressed head.
    Thanks listermint was just about to order the cheap one ,then I was just checking the chain I bought(bought about 6 months ago) and I seen this lad in it
    IMG-20190222-093037.jpg
    Any use or just fit for the bin?
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    If breaking a chain, don't press the pin out without using a grinder and taking the ends off a link.
    There are different types of staking on different chains, some have hollow rivets and some have a quad stake.
    You need to match the tool to the chain.
    Don't worry my angle grinder got it off no bother :D

honda boi wrote: »
    Thanks listermint was just about to order the cheap one ,then I was just checking the chain I bought(bought about 6 months ago) and I seen this lad in it
    IMG-20190222-093037.jpg
    Any use or just fit for the bin?

Don't worry my angle grinder got it off no bother :D

That should work fine. May not get multiple uses out of it but more work to tighten it all but once you measuring the compressed head properly should be fine

Lads, can someone settle a debate/discussion for me please?

Would helmets like this be considered legal for riding on public roads in Ireland?

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/RB100/SubProducts/34311-2832796-1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The clue is in the description

"Without ECE"

(Legal?: I wouldn't have thought so.)

macplaxton wrote: »
    The clue is in the description

"Without ECE"

(Legal?: I wouldn't have thought so.)

I'm more referring to the style of helmet, rather than that actual helmet itself.

I can't picture it being legal personally.

• Advertisement

I'm more referring to the style of helmet

Pudding bowls have no side protection which I think is a must to gain any cert.

Would helmets like this be considered legal for riding on public roads in Ireland?

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_IE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/10207048/Products/RB100/SubProducts/34311-2832796-1
    I'd say it's legal as it's technically a helmet. But I wouldn't have it near my head when on a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Many many years ago I knew a lad that got his face ripped apart in a crash with a car while wearing one of those, I would strongly recommend Not wearing one of those No matter how cool it might look to some !

It's not technically a helmet unless it comes under the legal definition which is one with the required approval.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1993/si/322/made/en/print

€80 FCN. (Not sure on points, can't find anything yet)

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/612306807625773057

I quite fancy my jaw where it is right now.

Oh and my nose that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Im sorry I clicked in the link, now I'v ads coming up for that helmet. :)

That's like wearing black bin bags as rain gear and a few pillows as protection. :D

Here's a tweet from the Merseyside traffic bizzies just the other day...:D:eek:

https://twitter.com/MerPolTraffic/status/1097840489594871808

mamax wrote: »
    Many many years ago I knew a lad that got his face ripped apart in a crash with a car while wearing one of those, I would strongly recommend Not wearing one of those No matter how cool it might look to some !

Oh I'd never consider wearing a helmet like that, it barely even counts under the definition of helmet imo.

Just a discussion with a lad at work who was insisting that it would be legal to wear here.

Speaking of helmets , I just got this in the post from FC-Moto this morning. Its a 40th birthday present to myself :D

Its an AGV Sportmodular in full carbon. Extremely light and feels like you're wearing nothing at all !! (stupid sexy Flanders)

473992.jpg

473993.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just FYI
    ECE specs.
    ECE 22.05 Helmet Standard:

ECE stands for “Economic Commission for Europe,” which was created under a United Nations agreement in 1958. The 22.05 part refers to the specific regulation that the standards for testing are described in.

The ECE standard, which is accepted in 47 countries, is similar to the DOT standard in several ways, for example: like the DOT standard, peripheral vision through an arc of 105° from the helmet midline is required. Also, environmental conditioning of helmets to be tested is required similar to the DOT standard and certain labeling requirements apply, as well.

Impact absorption testing is performed in a manner very similar to the DOT standard, involving a drop test from a fixed height on a steel anvil with a headform fitted inside to measure the energy transmitted. Peak acceleration energy at the headform allowed to pass the test is 275 G. Impact absorption and rotational forces are also tested at points where any surfaces or parts project from the shell of the helmet.

The retention system is tested with a free-fall drop test of a 10 kg (22.0 lb) weight from a height of .75m (29.5 in.) attached to the fastened chin strap. No more than 35mm (1.37 in.) displacement of the attachment point is allowed.

The chin strap buckle system is also tested for slippage under load, and the strap material itself is tested for abrasion resistance and tension failure load (which cannot be less than 3kN or 674.4 lb.). There are also tests for ease of release and durability of quick-release buckle systems.

There are some areas where the DOT and ECE standards differ, for example: The surface of the helmet is tested for abrasion resistance—but in this test the performance standard requires that the helmet surface either shear away or allow the test surface to slip past the helmet. This is to minimize the amount of twisting force the helmet would transmit to the wearer’s head and neck. Projections from the helmet (snaps, rivets, etc.) may not exceed 2 mm.

Another test assesses the rigidity of the shell of the helmet by measuring the deformation of the helmet shell when progressively more load is applied up to 630 Newtons (141.6 lb.).

In addition to these areas, ECE 22.05 includes performance for the visor on a helmet, if it is an integral part of the helmet. DOT provides standards for visors and other eye-protection gear in a separate standard referred to as VESC 8 (Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission). The ECE standards do not include a test for penetration resistance.

The ECE standard includes requirements for retroreflective materials that may apply in specific member countries.

Unlike the DOT system, where the product is not subject to third-party testing prior to sale, the ECE system required batch sampling when production begins, submission of up to 50 sample helmets/visors to a designated laboratory working for the government that uses the ECE standards under the United Nations agreement and verification of quality control during on-going production.

The ECE standard specifies which type or configuration of helmet the approval applies to, using the following codes: “J” if the helmet does not have a lower face cover, “P” if the helmet has a protective lower face cover, or “NP” if the helmet has a non-protective lower face cover, (stated as ECE 22.05J, ECE 22.05P or ECE 22.05NP).

Advertisement