Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

I'm very tired and on drugs in hospital but there was a car and bike coming in the other direction and the car stopped and the bike didn't stop soon enough a d so he hit the back of the car on the right and deflected into my path and I hit him, and he unfortunately died on the scene

I'm ok my spleen is damaged and I have broken bones

Sorry to here that frozen, a little advice is talk to someone about what happened don’t try block it out. I seen a friend die in a work accident and buried it for years and a while back I was off work due to an accident and at home alone it all can back to me ten fold and I’m still trying to shake it.
    Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

Jaysus Frozen hope youre OK lad. Horrible thing to be involved in. Hope you're feeling alright and back on your feet soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hope you are ok mate, thoughts with you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭prunudo

Sorry to read the last few posts, always sadness when I hear a story on the news but brings it home when you hear somebody you know was involved (albeit on a forum, still feel like i know ye even if we've never met)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'm very tired and on drugs in hospital but there was a car and bike coming in the other direction and the car stopped and the bike didn't stop soon enough a d so he hit the back of the car on the right and deflected into my path and I hit him, and he unfortunately died on the scene

I'm ok my spleen is damaged and I have broken bones

Get well soon. It's good that you're here to type that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jackdaw89 wrote: »
    Sorry to here that frozen, a little advice is talk to someone about what happened don’t try block it out. I seen a friend die in a work accident and buried it for years and a while back I was off work due to an accident and at home alone it all can back to me ten fold and I’m still trying to shake it.
    Get well soon
    This x 1000, frozenfrozen.

You have just experienced serious traumatic stress. This may bring up repeated thoughts of the 'what ifs' - frequently very negatives ones. Examples would be the obviouly personal ones to you - e.g.:

You could easily have been killed! (No fault of yours, but your mind may invent scenarios where you might have been able to avoid the bike colliding with you such as if you had more visibly or had been maintaining a safer distance from any vehicle in front etc. More than likely, none of these or similar theories could have realistically spoiled in this accident.

From what you described, no action you could have taken would have changed the outcome.

Check out something called desentisation therapy (or an equivalent name, possibly eye movement desentisation therapy).

Uner the guidance/supervision of a competent therapist, repeatedly mentally reconstructing the event (at normal speed a number of times and then same at FF speed) then in reverse in similar fashion can help greatly to come to terms with what happened. You would be reliving what actually happened from you point of view only. No 'what ifs' etc. Basically, this process can 'burn out' the trauma/traumatic stress (to you/your life - you could have died),

The trauma you suffered by seeing (or knowing that) a person dead or dying can be addressed in the same way.

It takes a few sessions, but could be of enormous benefit to you.

There may be even be counseling available while you are still in hospital.

See where you said "he hit the back of the car on the right and deflected into my path and I hit him"? That's not really factual, because he actually hit you - you didn't hit him if you know what I mean.

As Jackdaw89 said, don't hold it in and let it fester.

Best wishes for your recovery,

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Thank you I spoke with a man here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Glad you're ok buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Passed my full A test today in Ballincollig Co,Cork :D

@Frozen:

Sorry to hear about your accident mate. Please god you’ll make a quick recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

@frozen Really sorry to hear about your incident, hope you get well soon, both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Frozen, sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are doing OK.

Wondering if anyone has experience on either of the below bikes, am off to see them tomorrow. I'm swayed more towards the f800 as its quite a bit lighter and slightly more comfortable and the thoughts of a vtec service are off-putting. I'm moving from the cbr due to upper back problems and touring just isn't fun anymore on it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/131-bmw-f800-gt/20419735

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-vfr800-bikeworld/19611522

Should have asked earlier, my insurance isn’t up for renewal until the end of July, does the fact I have now passed my test mean I’ll get a refund on the cost considering I’ve still got a good bit to go until renewal? I know that’s how it happened with my car, are bikes the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Frozen get better soon.

Should have asked earlier, my insurance isn’t up for renewal until the end of July, does the fact I have now passed my test mean I’ll get a refund on the cost considering I’ve still got a good bit to go until renewal? I know that’s how it happened with my car, are bikes the same?
    Depends on your insurance company, some do some will give extra discount at renual

ZX7R wrote: »
    Depends on your insurance company, some do some will give extra discount at renual

Thanks, I’m with principal insurance.

Thanks, I’m with principal insurance.

Snap so am i, but it's 20 years or so since I passed my test, give them a call, you have nothing to loose

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hope you're ok Frozen. RIP to the other person involved.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Snap so am i, but it's 20 years or so since I passed my test, give them a call, you have nothing to loose

Rang them up straight after, until I physically have the licence and forward on a copy of it to them they can’t update their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Anyone noticing the amount of algae on the roads around wicklow...assume its down to all the rain and mild weather lately..slippy as fcuk..

• Advertisement

Anyone noticing the amount of algae on the roads around wicklow...assume its down to all the rain and mild weather lately..slippy as fcuk..

Yep, myself the missus went for a spin around the Wicklow Gap last weekend and found it very bad on the secondary roads. She had her R9T kick out a lot and I got it in the ear because it was my fault !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just tell her the throttle works both ways :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Just tell her the throttle works both ways :p

You're clearly not married :o

Not to a biker, no.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

D3V!L wrote: »
    Yep, myself the missus went for a spin around the Wicklow Gap last weekend and found it very bad on the secondary roads. She had her R9T kick out a lot and I got it in the ear because it was my fault !! :rolleyes:

but you put the slicks on it for her.."these are well grippy..."...:P

He'd taken the time switch off the tyre warmers to use on the christmas lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hi I was in an accident yesterday I'm ok but just thought I'd put it here

Jaysus lad, I've been off the forum for a bit but I just this post now. Hope you're feeling much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I had 7 months left with principal when I passed all I got were new documents issued. :eek:

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I had 7 months left with principal when I passed all I got were new documents issued. :eek:

Ah jasus that sounds like no fun. Are the days of partial refunds for obtaining a full licence now gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

They wouldn't entertain the notion for me with Carole Nash either "it won't be taken into account until renewal". Wonder if anyone had success when they were with Liberty/Axa and passed the test. Might just be a UK insurer thing.

Advertisement