Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's a DL650. I have heated grips, fog lights, twin power port, are the main ones, i don't use them all at once either. The bike starts fine, first go every time.

Mine has that and heated jacket.

I did however have to replace the stator and the regulator last year because they were fried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

listermint wrote: »
    Mine has that and heated jacket.

I did however have to replace the stator and the regulator last year because they were fried.

Don't say that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Cienciano wrote: »
    I hate this time of year when the roads seem to be wet 24 hours a day even though there's no rain.

I really enjoyed my ride home today - even though it was cold, dark, and blustery. For the first time in ages it was dry :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Same, got soaked in the morning though. Spin in this morning was dry too, one of the first dry commutes in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Up in Galway it's been raining heavily pretty much non stop for days. Haven't been on the bike since last Friday absolute sickener. Probably gonna get worse too, might just park it up for 2 months :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I've pretty much stopped taking the bike in over the last week. The roads from Bandon to Cork, in any given route, have been ruined from all the rain and storms.

Potholes everywhere, roads crumbling on the bends. Hit a pothole on the main road from Bandon to Innishannon and thought I'd blown out the tyre because of the thud, nearly took a spill from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cian_ok wrote: »
    I really enjoyed my ride home today - even though it was cold, dark, and blustery. For the first time in ages it was dry :-)

Roads were dry today too. I may have been talking shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Well here's the little GS I've been riding all this week.

468224.jpg

When I got it first I hated the thing, nothing appealed to me. But I judged in haste, it actually grew on me a little but it has its flaws.

The engine, below 4000 rpm its guts and filtering in traffics requires careful gear selection. But once it hits 4000 rpm on the TFT dash it flies off, I mean its surprisingly quick and 100kph to 140kph ~ ie overtaking on a motorway felt quicker than my 1200GS, but that's probably down to the fact that with the tiniest screen BMW could passibly get away with calling a screen, its useless.

In fact that speed is impossible in the rain as you get the full last of spray from the road, and a lot of rain reflected up off the thing they call a screen.

The suspension is nice, but the forks as easily bottomed out under braking.

The switches are TINY, operating them with bulky winter gloves is nearly impossible.

Its a miser on petrol, but most sub litre bikes are.

It also needs hard guards, and if you're to go off road with it. And its very capable you'll need engine bars too.

So to make it a useful bike you're looking at spending and additional 300-500 Euro on it, and that's before you include luggage.

I'll add more as I recall.

Over all its a fun engine, it really is. But it takes a fistful of gas to get it off the line but then it goes like the clappers.

I'd have liked to have played around with it for another two day, but when I got my R1200GS back today I was delighted (best bike I've ever owned).

The photo was taken today when I do some light enduro riding with it.

I enjoyed it. Would I buy a new one, no.. But I could see myself owning a secondhand one when someone spends the money on it to make it something I could live it.

Interesting review Mak. I had the same bike out for a test ride recently from JD, I honestly wasn’t expecting much from it but I was pleasantly surprised. I’m currently on an S1KR and considering something a bit more upright and comfortable. 95% of my time on the bike these days is spent commuting to work.

I thought the 850 had decent grunt. I get what you’re saying about the initial take off but once moving it can shift along, although a bigger screen would the first thing bought for it. I thought the gear shift assist was clunky, definitely not as smooth as others I’ve used. The exhaust note is sweet, nice burble off it and I’d say the optional Akra would be even better. Reviews seem to suggest 300km+ from the tank which would be nice.

I liked it enough to talk numbers. Ticking some of the option boxes though quickly had it over €17k!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Full licence obtained :)
    Lovely early Xmas present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Up in Galway it's been raining heavily pretty much non stop for days. Haven't been on the bike since last Friday absolute sickener. Probably gonna get worse too, might just park it up for 2 months :(

Thing is, it rains a lot in the west. So you either get good wet gear and ride in it or you don't ride in it. Yes, it could get worse but there's also dry days here and there. Riding in rain sucks but I hate not being on my bike. Whenever I have to bus to work it's usually only because of high winds or heavy snow. Don't let rain stop you being on your bike, get out in it and experience it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

HOLY F**KBALLS !!!

2019-rocket-render.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2019-triumph-rocket-3/

This might be enough to sway me from the BMW GS. Having owned 2 Rockets in the past I always felt the last of the 2300's lacked top end HP.

If the rendering from MCN is anything to go by this is going to be a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    HOLY F**KBALLS !!!

2019-rocket-render.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2019-triumph-rocket-3/

This might be enough to sway me from the BMW GS. Having owned 2 Rockets in the past I always felt the last of the 2300's lacked top end HP.

If the rendering from MCN is anything to go by this is going to be a monster.

Saddle will be too hard!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carl456

Anyone know do Halfords sell motorcycle batteries? I've just had my chain and sprocket done and now being told my battery isn't great, what the actual fcuk :mad: Can i put in an 18V instead of a 12V to cope with the extras i had fitted?

Yes they sell them, no you can't put 18v in.

blade1 wrote: »
    Saddle will be too hard!:pac:

I went through 3 different saddles on my old one just to suit the missus. Thankfully she said she'll never get on a Rocket again. :pac:

I went through 3 different saddles on my old one just to suit the missus. Thankfully she said she'll never get on a Rocket again. :pac:

Yeah, I remembered something about a saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

carl456 wrote: »
    Yes they sell them, no you can't put 18v in.

Thanks Carl, will be heading in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

New rocket looks like they're going down the Diavel road rather than the custom cruiser road. Will be interesting to see a photo, looks good

Thanks Carl, will be heading in tomorrow.

If you don't have one already get a trickle charger while you're at it. If you're not using the bike at the moment price a battery online, you'll get it cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The vast majority of regular chargers will have a trickle charge feature/function. Lidl do one for €20 when they have car specials on (last one was about 4 weeks ago).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My son's CBR600RR is gone up on DD

HONDA CBR600RR

468600.jpeg

• Advertisement

My wrists hurt just looking at that LOL.

Lovely looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

My son's CBR600RR is gone up on DD

HONDA CBR600RR

468600.jpeg

Be prepared for an influx of arseholes wasting your time.....

I think we should all call him and try and get a test drive in.

Form an orderly queue lads :D

zubair wrote: »
    My wrists hurt just looking at that LOL.

Lovely looking bike.

Low bars are grand going fast!:D
    Through towns and stuff this would cripple you though.

slpvgn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those look lower than the seat! The CBR RR bars are higher.

Used to have a CBR600F which was good for hundreds of miles in a day (although I was a good bit younger then...)

Life ain't always empty.

Those look lower than the seat! The CBR RR bars are higher.

Used to have a CBR600F which was good for hundreds of miles in a day (although I was a good bit younger then...)

Yeah they are lower.
    Riding a friend's BMW S1000rr and it feels like sitting on a sofa compared to it.
    You don't really have to tuck in much to see through the screen.

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah they are lower.
    Riding a friend's BMW S1000rr and it feel like sitting on a sofa compared to it.

I spent a day on an S1000RR recently and ended up in pain for 3 days. Couldn't wait to give it back. My missus laughed at me all week :o

He sell's multi million Euro real estate, they'd be water off a ducks back to the lad lol.

He sell's multi million Euro real estate, they'd be water off a ducks back to the lad lol.

D'ya think he could sort me out with a nice gaf ? :D

• Advertisement

D'ya think he could sort me out with a nice gaf ? :D

He might sell you a shopping center if I ask him nicely lol

Advertisement