Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got a front tyre puncture which was big enough to take two plugs, don't know what caused it but I was lucky it wasn't a full on front end blow out.

The tyre was almost wanked anyway so booked it in to have a pair of Metzeler Tourance Next fitted tomorrow.

I'm not normally one to panic and would normally ride with plugs until the end of the tyres life but this repair is already bulging and looks like it wants to spit the plugs out when I put air in the tyre.

I'm pissed off, but thankful I didn't get a proper front end blow out.

465446.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

blade1 wrote: »
    I still have mine.
    The zipper came off but I put it back on.
    It's kinda more like a sandwich bag sealer more than a zipper.
    You just have to make sure it is sealed properly when storing your bike or it defeats the purpose.

You'll feel a kind of a static off the inside of it.
    I think that's the rust inhibitor.
    That eventually wears off if you keep removing the bike from the bag.
    You can buy refills of what I did was I bought some 400g bags of orange coloured silica gel.
    I threw a bag of that into it.
    I had zero moisture,mould or corrosion on the bike after the winter.
    There is another similar product on the market called a Vac-Bag.
    It is more expensive,harder to get the bike into,tears easy and not as good as keeping moisture out.

My shed suffers from moisture in the winter so I've gone through a few different ways of keeping everything dry.
    Last year I bought this :)

28annmt.jpg

Are you storing your bike inside or out.

What is that :eek:

It looks great :D

I have a shed but there was the place i live in is built it's on a slope so the water gets into the shed, at the moment they are both outdoors and covered, I'm very impressed by that cover, any clue as to where you bought it ;)

Got a front tyre puncture which was big enough to take two plugs, don't know what caused it but I was lucky it wasn't a full on front end blow out.

The tyre was almost wanked anyway so booked it in to have a pair of Metzeler Tourance Next fitted tomorrow.

I'm not normally one to panic and would normally ride with plugs until the end of the tyres life but this repair is already bulging and looks like it wants to spit the plugs out when I put air in the tyre.

465446.jpg

That's a nasty looking hole.

I have those tyres on my bike, they appeared to be all but new when i got it, but me being me i thought they were a cheap brand that had no grip, it was only confidence :o

Possibly a sharp stone? Something similar did happen to me in gravel when i first started out years ago but the hole wasn't as big.

You going to change just the one or both tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have a shed but there was the place i live in is built it's on a slope so the water gets into the shed, at the moment they are both outdoors and covered, I'm very impressed by that cover, any clue as to where you bought it ;)
    It's an Air Chamber.
    Lads with Vintage Cars use them.
    The thing is though.. there are two fans blowing air into it.
    Supposedly the the fans keep the air moving so it doesn't condense on anything.
    The problem is if you have a lot of moisture in your shed,the air you are blowing in is too moist so you still get condensation.
    I blocked off the fans and threw in a few bags of silica gel and everything has been bone dry since.

It's an Air Chamber.
    Lads with Vintage Cars use them.
    The thing is though.. there are two fans blowing air into it.
    Supposedly the the fans keep the air moving so it doesn't condense on anything.
    The problem is if you have a lot of moisture in your shed,the air you are blowing in is too moist so you still get condensation.
    I blocked off the fans and threw in a few bags of silica gel and everything has been bone dry since.

Ah crap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

So your tyres will get wet, so what. You're putting your bike in a shed and you're already doing more than enough to look after it . Don't waste your time or money on doing anything more. You don't need acf if it's not going to be getting dirty or wet for the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You going to change just the one or both tyres?

I'm changing both tyres, the Continentals on it atm are crap. I've no confidence in them so I'm putting on Metzeler Tourance Next tomorrow.

This front is shagged now anyway and a new set of tyres right before the winter isn't an entirely bad thing.

Good shout, have my Road 5s bought just squeezing a bit more out of the current RS3s before fitting them.

I'm changing both tyres, the Continentals on it atm are crap. I've no confidence in them so I'm putting on Metzeler Tourance Next tomorrow.

This front is shagged now anyway and a new set of tyres right before the winter isn't an entirely bad thing.

Are they suitable for off road as well? If they are the same as the ones on my own bike they have great thread on them. Did you get many Miles/Months (or years???) out of your continentals?

I must be losing the plot with all the extra's i'm putting on that bike or thinking of putting on it.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hella-Scheinwerfer-Set-mit-Sturzbugel-Halterungen-Suzuki-V-Strom-DL650-1000/273535859916?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,159 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

zubair wrote: »
    So your tyres will get wet, so what.

A damp shed will make sh!t of a bike, worse than just parking it outside where it has movement of air around it and will (sometimes) get to dry out.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So your tyres will get wet, so what. You're putting your bike in a shed and you're already doing more than enough to look after it . Don't waste your time or money on doing anything more. You don't need acf if it's not going to be getting dirty or wet for the next few months.
    A damp shed will make sh!t of a bike, worse than just parking it outside where it has movement of air around it and will (sometimes) get to dry out.

Yeah the shed does have dampness as i can't fully seal it due to the water flow passing through it, doing that will only cause a backup of water which will make it worse, i'll probably keep it out of the shed and covered over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

465446.jpg

Think youll find its that huge piece of tree that caused it.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Lovely day for it. Damn visor fogging was the only problem.

Jaysus it was chaos today, but you can't help but feel like you're winning when the entire city and suburbs are at a standstill while you filter by and arrive to work about 5 minutes later than normal.

I had the same issue as you, I took the pinlock out as it was actually worse with it in than out.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

thos wrote: »
    Lovely day for it. Damn visor fogging was the only problem.
    One word

Pinlock

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jaysus it was chaos today, but you can't help but feel like you're winning when the entire city and suburbs are at a standstill while you filter by and arrive to work about 5 minutes later than normal.

I had the same issue as you, I took the pinlock out as it was actually worse with it in than out.

That means that its not fitted correctly.

I had the same problem. Fitted my pinlock perfectly when i got it, Was fine for 2 years.

Took it out to clean the Visor but it never went back perfectly. There was a slight lift on the sides of it only slight but it ruins the whole thing.

If its not a 100% perfect seal all the way around all the time (up or down) then its ruined and renders it useless.

One word

Pinlock

This was with pinlock.

I'd had it out yesterday for a clean, so dont know if I upset it, didnt get a good seal, or trapped some moisture in there, but thick line of fog across the top and then gradually started to close in.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

thos wrote: »
    This was with pinlock.
    Sorry, didn't realise you had one in.
    As listermint said, have a look at the seal.

They seem temperamental at times alright. I use a piece of paper to try and slide around the seal, but I think wind pressure still seems to be able to push moisture up there. Drying out today and will try to tighten it up again.

• Advertisement

Yep, exactly what what the problem was. Seal was not flush at the top so had some fogging but the rain getting in the pinlock made it worse.

@Thos - fit the pinlock to your visor backwards tonight to get it back to the original shape and refit as normal tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,179 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I wonder would a tiny bead of clear silicone sealant keep the pinlock sealed??
    If it's shagged already, nothing to lose I suppose.
    Might be hard to do without it being messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Have any of you used LED Conversion Kits to replace your standard yellow lights and if so how did you find them?

Thinking of getting this .

I thought you could add LED bulbs to a standard connection just you would need to make room for the heat sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

My bike is parked up outside the house and I'm ****ing terrified the wind is going to blow it over while I'm at work.

Literally bricking it but I've no chance of getting out of work early.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    My bike is parked up outside the house and I'm ****ing terrified the wind is going to blow it over while I'm at work.

Literally bricking it but I've no chance of getting out of work early.

It is fairly bad out there, 2 separate weather warnings today I think.

Is it parked in a spot where it would get the full force of the wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I wonder would a tiny bead of clear silicone sealant keep the pinlock sealed??
    If it's shagged already, nothing to lose I suppose.
    Might be hard to do without it being messy.

A pinlock insert will usually only last 2-3 years. The seals dry out.

It'll be grand. Mine survived Ophelia and whats his name.

It'll be grand. Mine survived Ophelia and whats his name.

Storm Emma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Storm Emma?

Trump

Advertisement