Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Nice of them to sort out properly..

They threw in a few quid extra for a few pints as well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

City Spares were just on the phone to me, they have offered a fantastic gesture for the fcuk up. Sending me down another cooler, pictures i have seen and are giving me a full refund.

The reason i got the rubbish one is because of a mix up between them, there are 6 staff there.

All good so. Havent used them but from a few I know they say they are good to deal with

All good so. Havent used them but from a few I know they say they are good to deal with

My first time using them. Danny went over and above to sort this, so I take my hat off to him, he told me who sent the scrap and how it happened etc. just a human error it seems, but it comes at a financial cost to them in refunding me plus a free cooler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

City Spares were just on the phone to me, they have offered a fantastic gesture for the fcuk up. Sending me down another cooler, pictures i have seen and are giving me a full refund.

The reason i got the rubbish one is because of a mix up between them, there are 6 staff there.

HELLO CITY SPARES!!!!

I wonder will the 6 of them read that!!:pac:

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    HELLO CITY SPARES!!!!

I wonder will the 6 of them read that!!:pac:

Ah jasus blade1 if you think the pictures were bad, having it in my hand was worse, i considered fitting it for all of 10 seconds before reality kicked back in and i realised it was something even a scrapyard would reject :pac:

Ah jasus blade1 if you think the pictures were bad, having it in my hand was worse, i considered fitting it for all of 10 seconds before reality kicked back in and i realised it was something even a scrapyard would reject :pac:
    I'd have loved to have seen your face when you opened the box! :pac:

I'd have loved to have seen your face when you opened the box! :pac:

Did you ever see Fr Kevin (Tommy Tiernan) in Fr Ted when the shaft song comes on? I was like that when it arrived and then when he is sitting down the back of the bus listening to the depressive music from radiohead he is on the verge of a breakdown? If you have seen that episode it accurately reflects how i felt. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Free cooler, pints and a paper weight. Nice!

zubair wrote: »
    Free cooler, pints and a paper weight. Nice!

Was one of the owners who acted, based on google reviews they seem to have a good reputation, they know first impressions are the lasting ones, this has certainly made a lasting impression on me.

• Advertisement

New cooler arrived, in excellent condition, fitted it as well, just need to run the bike now to make sure everything is ok, used copper washers also

Someone backed into my brother's R1 today.
    Broke mirror,sidestand and maybe more damage.
    The guy waited around and gave his insurance details and phone number.
    Said he'd rather pay cash if it's not too much but said it was up to my brother what way he wanted to go about it.
    Guy paid up today by cash.
    €300.
    He said that was very reasonable and thought It would be a lot more.
    I ordered the parts off fowler's for my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,392 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Surprised at that.

I think a lot of cagers think that bikes are still a cheap form of transport for people who can't afford cars! and would nearly have a coronary if they knew the equivalent of a pattern part for a car costing €20 might cost €80 for a bike and €200 for the genuine part.

The reason is that bikes are produced in the thousands, most models of cars in the millions. Although the car market is getting a lot more fragmented than it used to be, they still share a lot of parts between models.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

New cooler arrived, in excellent condition, fitted it as well, just need to run the bike now to make sure everything is ok, used copper washers also

I feel slightly responsible for all this drama :o but you should be sorted now. Could have been nasty if those hoses or the cooler had sprung a leak, or even burst. At best stranded at the side of the road somewhere, at worst rear wheel covered in oil...

I'm so paranoid about getting stranded these days I carry a 12V pump in the top box at all times and sticky string under the seat! Having recovery on your policy is all well and good but it's still a PITA when you have to use it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I feel slightly responsible for all this drama :o but you should be sorted now. Could have been nasty if those hoses or the cooler had sprung a leak, or even burst. At best stranded at the side of the road somewhere, at worst rear wheel covered in oil...

I'm so paranoid about getting stranded these days I carry a 12V pump in the top box at all times and sticky string under the seat! Having recovery on your policy is all well and good but it's still a PITA when you have to use it.
    She's sorted :D

Not a drop of oil anywhere, there was just a bit of smoke from the leaking oil that burned off the downpipe earlier on, that aside she's back to normal.

Rotten pipes & oil coolers is something i am not happy about, any dealer who is halfway decent should have replaced these surely?

I had visions of the bike packing up over the cooler, hence the scramble to change it out.

good idea on the pump, is it a usb type socket or the ordinary cigarette lighter type? I had a double usb connection fitted lasat week.

Ill be stocking up on some spares over the winter and keeping them in the topbox same as yourself.

I still have 2 more bits to order, a digital gear indicator and the front led fogs.

Forgot to ask do you have the first aid kit as well?

First aid kit? I have to leave some room for buying beer! :cool:

Limited usefulness on a bike I think (you either walk away or need much more serious attention, minor cuts and abrasions won't happen if you're wearing proper gear), but doesn't France require them? They've got some odd laws like breathalysers, spare bulbs, and hi-vis in cars. The EU needs to clamp down on that sort of nonsense by national governments, if you're legal to ride in your home country you shouldn't have to do anything to be legal to ride in any other member state. Things should improve after "the handbrake" finally fecks off in March :)

Pump is a standard ciggie lighter job, but I made up an extension cable (not needed on the bike, but handy on the wife's car) which has a full size ciggy lighter plug, with a plastic bit which can be removed to allow it to fit mini-DIN sockets - same as a ciggie socket only smaller, my bike came with one. Great for accessories like this, or a phone charger, or trickle charging the bike. Some Bavarian Money Wasters come with them too

Handy to keep in the shed : spare front and rear pads (nothing worse than having a look at them on a Saturday afternoon and realising they need changing, five minutes before the nearest bike shop closes), spare throttle cables (most bikes have an opening and a closing cable), spare clutch cable if your bike doesn't have a hydraulic clutch. You don't really need to carry these with you, but nice to have the replacement bit on hand already after you get the bike recovered home. (Although I rode one bike home with no clutch, and another with no throttle cable - it was a carbed bike so I just turned the idle up to 3000rpm :) )

Puncture is the most common thing that'll leave you stuck. I was raging one time when I had to write off a nearly new rear, I must have picked up a screw in the tyre on the way to work and it was flat by the time I was going home. Had no choice but to ride it flat to the nearest garage, about a mile, pumped it up and got home but the tyre was ruined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I carry a small 12v pump again and also the sticky strings. These have got me out of trouble on numerous occasions as well as a couple of other unlucky lads. I also carry a small pliers which can be used to pull out whatever causes the puncture. The important thing to remember about the pump is that it takes a heavy load so with the light wiring on most motorcycles it would be advisable to run a fused connection from the battery with a suitable fuse and make sure the motorcycle is at least ticking over while you are inflating the wheel. That is only my opinion and is not mandatory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have one of these kits in my spares on the bike, It will replace most cables if you are stuck.
    Cheap as well.
    10019100_920_FR_10.JPG
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/nipple-repair-kit/10019100?filter_article_number=10019100&list=544f278845b0148b126c8f9e2eb9ac6f

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Talk about belt and braces, duck tape to stick things, wd40 to make things move, needle nose pliers, puncture repair kit and if you own a honda some spare fuses.

If the pump comes with crocodile clips you'll be running it straight off the battery, so only risking melting its own wiring :)

A power socket, or any other accessory you add to the bike, must be fused. 10 amp is fine.

• Advertisement

Just as well you bought that kit online.

"Excuse me, do you have solderless nipples?"

"How very dare you!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Clutch cable on my FZ1 is not returning fully. Will likely have to replace and/or get the clutch checked. What grease can I use on it in the meantime before I get it sorted to see if it can make any difference ?

First aid kit? I have to leave some room for buying beer! :cool:

Limited usefulness on a bike I think (you either walk away or need much more serious attention, minor cuts and abrasions won't happen if you're wearing proper gear), but doesn't France require them? They've got some odd laws like breathalysers, spare bulbs, and hi-vis in cars. The EU needs to clamp down on that sort of nonsense by national governments, if you're legal to ride in your home country you shouldn't have to do anything to be legal to ride in any other member state. Things should improve after "the handbrake" finally fecks off in March :)

Pump is a standard ciggie lighter job, but I made up an extension cable (not needed on the bike, but handy on the wife's car) which has a full size ciggy lighter plug, with a plastic bit which can be removed to allow it to fit mini-DIN sockets - same as a ciggie socket only smaller, my bike came with one. Great for accessories like this, or a phone charger, or trickle charging the bike. Some Bavarian Money Wasters come with them too

Handy to keep in the shed : spare front and rear pads (nothing worse than having a look at them on a Saturday afternoon and realising they need changing, five minutes before the nearest bike shop closes), spare throttle cables (most bikes have an opening and a closing cable), spare clutch cable if your bike doesn't have a hydraulic clutch. You don't really need to carry these with you, but nice to have the replacement bit on hand already after you get the bike recovered home. (Although I rode one bike home with no clutch, and another with no throttle cable - it was a carbed bike so I just turned the idle up to 3000rpm :) )

Puncture is the most common thing that'll leave you stuck. I was raging one time when I had to write off a nearly new rear, I must have picked up a screw in the tyre on the way to work and it was flat by the time I was going home. Had no choice but to ride it flat to the nearest garage, about a mile, pumped it up and got home but the tyre was ruined.

Just a 6 pack or a slab :pac:

Not too sure on the requirements in France as i have never been abroad, maybe other posters might know that? I have fairly good gear myself so wouldn't have that issue, i just know some guys who carry those things, one of them being in a Cub 90 :rolleyes:

There is something with the breath testing i do recall.

Spare bulbs is a must, i have those.

I would need a pump compatible with a usb connection, but have seen people modify them similar to how you describe.

I'd studying youtube of late on how to change bits and pieces, the pads are something i must stock up on, spark plugs will probably be another.

Do you carry spare levers?

Rode it with the clutch cable gone? did you have to stop at traffic lights or anything?

I've never done a puncture repair on anything, even though my car comes with the gas cannister for inflating tyres after punctures i have never used it, i really need to brush up on bike maintenance over the winter.

Yeah, with no clutch if I couldn't find neutral coming up to the lights I had to use the kill switch. Then give it a little push in neutral to get going and just bang it into first. If you know a road well you can often avoid having to stop by slowing down on the approach to a red light that will soon be green.

I'd be dubious that most USB sockets could safely put out enough current for a pump. At 5V the current needed will be over double that at 12V, and the pins are very small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have one of these kits in my spares on the bike, It will replace most cables if you are stuck.
    Cheap as well.
    10019100_920_FR_10.JPG
    https://www.louis.ie/artikel/nipple-repair-kit/10019100?filter_article_number=10019100&list=544f278845b0148b126c8f9e2eb9ac6f

Reminds me of my RD350YPVS days and constantly having to make up power valve cables.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Cheap as well.
    10019100_920_FR_10.JPG

Seen something like this on xl Moto, looks like a grand site for getting spare parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭D3V!L

• Registered Users Posts: 44 aido43

Most Sundays that checkpoint is there beside overpass bridge on right coming out of town--he hides behind the Bus shelter--its like shooting ducks in a barrel as its extremely hard to keep to limit there. Its a shame they don't watch cars breaking lights twenty yards away but that might involve work

Ya wouldn't catch me speeding!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

D3V!L wrote: »
    Would'nt have believed a BMW could do that kind of speed and not disintegrate. :D

Advertisement