Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On one hand the Vick signing is a good one. They save money by cutting Sanchez and getting him in, they improve at the quarterback position and he fits their system. He's also reportedly quite a good locker room influence despite his previous misdemeanors.

On the other the last time he played a full 16 game season was 8 years ago, given his injury record he can't be anything other than a stop gap solution and he's been a turnover machine in recent years. Given he'll be 34 when the season starts, that's not likely to change.

I'd be amazed if he wasn't the starter come week one and it will be very interesting to see how he does. The signing of Decker was a good one, but the Jets really need to give whoever their quarterback is more help at the receiver position to give them a fair chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No long term planning with the Jets at all. If Rex felt his job was secure they wouldn't be signing Vick. I know he signed an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Red Crow wrote: »
    No long term planning with the Jets at all. If Rex felt his job was secure they wouldn't be signing Vick. I know he signed an extension.

I don't think there's many coaches or general managers that can afford to plan long term. It's all about winning this season. One bad season and there's not many coaches and general managers who aren't sweating on their jobs. Probably says more for the organisations that they work for than anything else, but that's the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Geno's I assume? Vick must start surely. Smith is so bad I would cut losses on him already, having had the misfortune of seeing the guy play in the flesh. I think Vick will do well. Sneaky DeSean J trade now....?! Jets could be going places, and dat defence mmmmmm!

Of course not......it isn't a hit on Vick, but the Jets are where QBs go to die.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Of course not......it isn't a hit on Vick, but the Jets are where QBs go to die.....

To be fair Vick is one of the better qbs in the leafy to have in that situation he's at his best off the cuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Widely reported the Ravens showing interest in Blount

Ray Rice may get suspended for 4 games and the backup Bernard Pierece was hurt last year.

The team hasn't had a super goalline back since Willis McGahee left.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Widely reported the Ravens showing interest in Blount

From what I know, there has also been a lot of interest from the Steelers and he's visiting them today. There has been no movement on contract talks with Blount and it looks like the Pats want him to test the market and establish a value. They will then decide if he's worth the value that's set by the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Reports that the Eagles are done with DeSean Jackson and will release him if they can't trade him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Reports that the Eagles are done with DeSean Jackson and will release him if they can't trade him.

Wow.. Chargers were mulling over trading for him for a 3rd if he outright released I assume there will be quite a few teams fighting over him.

ya there has been reports of this for a week or so now i cant see the eagles releasing him the only reason i can see is for cap room for new contracts for cox,boykin,foles,thornton,kendricks and maby brown,maclin,curry and graham but thats not till next year so i dont see why we would release him now.

id be sick enough at only getting a 3rd for him and given the strength and depth at the receiver position for this draft i don't know if many teams would give a 3rd for him, although he's a proven commodity he's 27 and he wants a new contract only two years into this 5 year one despite the fact that he's one of the better paid receivers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

The guy is an @sshole.

I hope him and the Eagles work something out because he is one of the more exciting players to watch at the position.

It could go @rseways for him elsewhere.

The guy is an @sshole.

I hope him and the Eagles work something out because he is one of the more exciting players to watch at the position.

It could go @rseways for him elsewhere.

hes not an asshole hes got a massive ego and he thinks hes better than he is but assholes harsh.

i dont think he will do as well in any other system and id imagine hes getting a reality check from the lack of interest for a relatively low draft pick i know he was not happy he fell to the second round so not bein worth a 3rd will kill him. giving him a bit extra motivation if he comes back hopefully.

hes had a checkered career with us but he did make the greatest play in eagles (and apparently nfl) history and is very exciting to watch and keeps the saftey honest at his side so id like to see him back
    but if we do lose him maclin will also suit this offense,cooper and celek had big years and i think ertz is going to be a stud this year he really came on towards the end of the year last year. not to mention having mccoy,sproles and brown in the backfield so we do have options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Jackson has attitude issues that is for sure but I wouldn't call him an arsehole either. Inflated ego at times. I always wondered is his father still involved with his decisions or still pushing him to do "better". For those who don't know Jackson's old man was a meddling type of guys while he was in college. Now it wasn't malicious or anything along them line but he was the type of guy who was vocal and always wanted best for his son. There is a good article going back to 2008 about it. Gives you a good insight into Jackson's attitude and his college career and his dad.
    Six months late, the truth begins to emerge. You knew DeSean Jackson had attitude issues last season, but how bad they were and what form they took were unclear.

Now, we’re beginning to find out, thanks to a feature story on Jackson published in the Philadelphia Daily News (Jackson was drafted by the Eagles).

Turns out, Cal Coach Jeff Tedford had to deal with more than Jackson’s massive ego and spotty work ethic. There were meddling family members, too.

Let’s break this into two parts: What was said and what the Daily News reported; and then my thoughts on the issue.

Warning: The comments are lengthy, but I thought it was important to include them all. (Also, thanks to Buzz Ryan for pointing out the DN story. I was returning from vacation when it was published and never saw it.)

***What was said and what the DN reported

* First, the key comment from Tedford:

“With outside opinions and outside advice always eating at DeSean, he was in a very tough spot. He’s trying to be a team guy, trying to fit in and play his role, but dealing with outside information always eating at him, and not always positive. It ended up putting him in a very difficult position.

“He’s had to deal with a lot of different people’s opinions being shot at him. That’s where I think he has grown, and will continue to grow, on being his own man, using his own common sense. Being part of the meetings and the offense, he knows better than the outsiders what is going on.”

* An example: At halftime of the Louisiana Tech game early last season, Jackson’s father, Bill, wondered during a TV interview why Jackson wasn’t getting more passes thrown his way. The answer: a thumb injury.

The comments prompted Tedford to have a conversation with his star receiver a few days later.

“My dad, he only wants the best for me,” Jackson told the DN. “It’s hard for me too, when I’m not catching the ball . . . It’s not selfish or anything like that; he wants to see his son doing good.”

* Bill Jackson didn’t duck the subject when reached by the DN, but his comments to the paper speak volumes:

“His coach at Cal said we were too involved in his life. This is a real family. This ain’t people in the street . . . I don’t understand it. I worked hard all my life . . . we’re a good family.

“Me and DeSean’s mother, we’ve been separated for years, but you wouldn’t know it. I’m at her house right now . . . I ain’t never been in jail. I’m a good citizen, I vote. I saw on TV before the draft, about [running back] Darren McFadden’s mother [having been addicted to cocaine]. I see things on the Internet about me being a bad parent.

“I ask coach Tedford, ‘Why not be involved with your children?’ . . . I’ve heard (Eagles coach) Andy Reid doesn’t want me anywhere near his facility. I’m like, ‘Damn, what did I do?’ ”

* Tedford also told the Daily News that Jackson’s didn’t work as hard in college as he’ll need to in the NFL, but he was, in general, supportive of his former player:

“I don’t know that he worked as hard he could have, because he’s a very natural player. Now that he’s in the NFL, and he has to compete with guys who are all as good as he is, he’ll figure out he needs to work …

“He got away with doing things on natural ability a lot at this level, that he probably won’t be able to do at that level. I don’t think he’s opposed to it, but he’d probably even admit he can work harder.

“I don’t think DeSean is malicious, or a detriment, in any way, shape or form . . . He’s young . . . I think he will continue to grow, but I think he’s a good-hearted person who wants to do well. I think if he surrounds himself with the right people, who lead him in the right direction, he will definitely want to go in that direction. I have no doubt that DeSean does have the character and the characteristics to be a good person and a great player.”

***My thoughts on the issue

1. Why is this coming public now?

There were plenty of questions/rumors about Jackson’s attitude problems during the ’07 collapse, but nothing was ever addressed in a substantive manner by Jackson or Tedford.

No surprise there. More often in college than the pros, chemistry issues are usually kept “in house” during the season. It’s only months afterward that the involved parties feel comfortable going on the record.

In this case, Tedford probably wasn’t going to touch the subject publicly until Jackson left the program, and then only if asked — and maybe not even if asked by the Bay Area media.

So Philadelphia drafts Jackson and the Eagles’ coaches, under no obligation to keep Jackson/Cal matters quiet, talk off the record to reporters. Then a reporter (in this case: the DN’s Les Bowen) talks to Jackson and calls Bill Jackson and Tedford … presto! A story materializes.

2. Tedford’s refusal to call Jackson out publicly last fall and his summation comments above, about Jackson being “good hearted,” is just the latest example of Tedford’s intense loyalty to his players.

3. Why does the Jackson saga matter? This is the key question — and the reason I felt the Daily News report was worth addressing on the Hotline.

It matters because Tedford made it matter by his words and deeds. He has gone to great lengths to fix what ailed the Bears in ’07, and Jackson was one of the ailments.

Fixing the problems — and you know Jackson wasn’t the only problem last season — is so important to Tedford that he removed himself from playcalling duties and is concentrating on what I’d call “program management.” He wants to avoid attitude and leadership problems in the future.

That’s absolutely the right thing to do, but it also tells you about the depth of the troubles and the anguish they caused Tedford.

The Jackson saga also matters because of the impact it might have going forward, the way it might affect Cal’s recruiting. Maybe it will prompt the Bears to be on the lookout for warning signs (MEDDLING FATHER ALERT!) during the evaluation process.

After all, Tedford had never really signed a player like Jackson before: a huge talent with a huge ego and an overly-involved inner circle with one eye on the NFL. (Marshawn Lynch and Jackson have very different personalities.) Players like Jackson usually end up at USC.

Not-exactly-news flash: Cal is not USC and Tedford is not Pete Carroll: the culture of the programs and the personalities of the head coaches are very different.

The Trojans are a big-ego program. Carroll and his players thrive under pressure and live for the spotlight.

Cal does not. It seems to me that Tedford, his staff and players are all much more comfortable away from the glare and everything it brings: top-five rankings, media attention, huge expectations.

And they are probably better off without brash, big-ego, meddling-parent recruits, even ones with Jackson’s talent.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2008/05/28/cal-football-the-truth-about-desean-jacksons-attitude-issues/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I can only assume this means CJ will be a Titan next season

https://twitter.com/ChrisJohnson28/status/448193626116730881/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So terrelle pryor has asked the raiders to trade or release him.

TO. wrote: »
    Jackson has attitude issues that is for sure but I wouldn't call him an arsehole either. Inflated ego at times. I always wondered is his father still involved with his decisions or still pushing him to do "better". For those who don't know Jackson's old man was a meddling type of guys while he was in college. Now it wasn't malicious or anything along them line but he was the type of guy who was vocal and always wanted best for his son. There is a good article going back to 2008 about it. Gives you a good insight into Jackson's attitude and his college career and his dad.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2008/05/28/cal-football-the-truth-about-desean-jacksons-attitude-issues/

I doubt his dad is involved due to him having died in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Says they have zero faith in Barkley, even as a back-up.

Butt fumble Sanchez could actually be a good qb with a coach that gives a crap about offense

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I cant believe the Eagles are taking a chance on Mark Sanchez, ok i might be a bit biased been a Vick fan, i also know he wont get though a full season without getting injured but if Foles goes down injured, i would sooner have him taking over then this guy.

• Advertisement

Syferus wrote: »
    Says they have zero faith in Barkley, even as a back-up.

Barkley could do with competition for 2nd plassuming he comes cheap I'd like this signing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    Butt fumble Sanchez could actually be a good qb with a coach that gives a crap about offense

Good could be stretching it a bit but certainly wouldn't be the worst back up ability wise. If he got his head down for a year or two & worked hard someone might give him a shot again. I would have my doubts as to his attitude in that role though.

That being said he is a lot better option than Vick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Barkley could do with competition for 2nd plassuming he comes cheap I'd like this signing

As a #2 Sanchez would be among the most pricey on the market, you don't bring him in unless you think he's your back-up.

Syferus wrote: »
    As a #2 Sanchez would be among the most pricey on the market, you don't bring him in unless you think he's your back-up.

I don't know if you would people are pretty down on him and he's earned massive money I think he'll want a chance to compete and redeem himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I doubt his dad is involved due to him having died in 2009.

Never dawned on me to check if his old man was still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Well, it took quite a long time, but James Ihedigbo has finally signed a two year deal with the Lions & should slot straight in as the new strong safety.

Probably the last bit of business the Lions do before the draft, bar maybe re-signing a few of their own FA's like Rashean Mathis or Shaun Hill.

looks like desean and chip have made up. i recon chip saw how little value there was and decided to keep him for the year at least.

apparently chip loves brandon cooks seems like a good fit for the system and god knows chip loves bringing in guys from schools he played a lot so it could be true. im surprised hes looking at cooks and not staying with his own team and deanthony thomas although i guess if he knows all there is to know about thomas so we may not hear anything about him untill draft day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans apparently want Sanchez into visit

Titans apparently want Sanchez into visit

what the story with cj2k heli any sign of him being cut or is that off now

• Advertisement

what the story with cj2k heli any sign of him being cut or is that off now

Hard to know, he's tweeted a couple of times he loves the Titans and other bits, he's getting 8 million this year so no team will want that.

Its been reported that he said he'd take a paycut to leave, however he has said that isnt true.

I think training begins April 7th and at that point he's allowed on the field and if he got injured the Titans would be liable for his salary.

Personally i think he'll be staying I just think Whiz thinks he can get him playing again

Advertisement