Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options
  • 02-02-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Since today is the last day of football for months, I thought better start this up so we all wont be totally going out of our minds, especially with the later draft this year too :pac:

Hoping the Colts can get a decent centre this year, would love mack but may be too expensive. Love to resign Davis as well as McAfee.

Opens this year on the 12th March.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Raf32 wrote: »
    Since today is the last day of football for months, I thought better start this up so we all wont be totally going out of our minds, especially with the later draft this year too :pac:

Hoping the Colts can get a decent centre this year, would love mack but may be too expensive. Love to resign Davis as well as McAfee.

Opens this year on the 12th March.
    I'm hoping we learn that FA isn't the place to stock up on talent. Maybe we can hold onto some draft picks for 2015. A lot of our 2013 FAs didn't pan out as hoped. And we overpaid on every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

davyjose wrote: »
    I'm hoping we learn that FA isn't the place to stock up on talent. Maybe we can hold onto some draft picks for 2015.

agreed an awful lot of busts for us last year but better off fixing the line through FA and hopefully the D during the draft with the minimal picks we have.

Raf32 wrote: »
    agreed an awful lot of busts for us last year but better off fixing the line through FA and hopefully the D during the draft with the minimal picks we have.

Personally I'd like to give holmes a shot at Center than draft a quality RG. The latter won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Good idea for a thread.

Ravens need to get Monroe, Daryl Smith and Pitta signed as top priority. Pitta will likely be tagged if we can't get a deal done.

Michael Oher, Ed Dickson, James Ihedigbo (already said he's signing for whoever offers him the most money), Jacoby Jones and unfortunately I think Arthur Jones will be gone too, he deserves to be paid somewhere.

McClain, Leach and Koch likely to be cut, I also think Suggs will be in the big "surprise" move of the offseason.

We'll likely go OT and WR in the first two rounds of the draft in whatever order, so that should see Oher and Jacoby replaced.

We won't have a whole lot of cap space to do much, but a playmaking free safety (in the words of Ozzie), cheap-ish wide receiver, and a center would be where I think we will target in FA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I can't argue with any of that Paully

I've seen Dominic Raoila mentioned a lot lately. Lions offensive line had a good year and he was the leader. 35 years old alright but a veteran center is needed even for just a year. Matt Birk wasn't appreciated until he was gone!

Would love to get Alex Mack but the money isn't there :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

D D D for Chicago.

Corner might be alright if Tillman returns but there's no other area in decent health. The money isn't there for a big splash, but one big name should be manageable. Michael Bennett has been mentioned but this Seattle run might have priced us out. Hopefully Martellus can do us a solid and wheel him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

The Giants have a few guys hitting free agency. The top ones are

Linval Joseph - Simply put he is one of the best DT's in football. An absolute stud against the run & has a small bit of pass rushing ability. He won't turn 26 until October. The rumours are there already that we will not be able to afford to re-sign him & frankly if we don't our GM should get his marching orders.

Justin Tuck - Good against the run but had looked to have been on the decline until a late season surge of sacks. He is 31. Has already said he wants to test free agency & I wish him luck. Don't think he is worth more that $3 or $4 million a year for 2 years

Hakeem Nicks - I can't see us bringing him back. He is still young enough to bounce back if he can get over a seemingly endless list of injuries. Reports during the season that his attitude also could have been a lot better. Could be a top 10 WR but how much are you going to pay a guy who hasn't scored a TD in a year & a half.

The other guys that will be hitting free agency are Jon Beason (think we will bring him back on a good deal) Brandon Myers (was never a fit for our offense & we are able to void his contract so won't be back) Stevie Brown (ball hawking safety who spent the year on IR, will be back with us) Andre Brown ( tough running back, who could be our No.1 next year, will be cheap to bring back) Kevin Boothe (versatile lineman, always consistent & will be brought back)

There are obviously loads of others who are vet minimum type of guys if you are signing them including Ryan Mundy, Terrell Thomas & Mike Patterson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Over $60m in cap space for the Raiders so definitely looking forward to this free agency. I don't expect us to blow it all though but should sign some good players.

Positions of not of need:
    LT if we sign Veldheer to a long term contract
    C/G Stefan Wisnewiski will start at one of those positions next year.
    MLB - Nick Roach has been very good for us this year.
    Punter - Marquette King is going to be our long term guy

Every other position we need help at. Positions we most need help at

QB - We won't find a good one in free agency
    Pass rusher - we have zero passing rushing ability, this is a huge need.
    WR - We lack a qualtiy #1
    OL - Could do with a LG
    CB - Hayden struggled his rookie year but hopefully improve next year, might be good to a veteran guy across from him if Woodson isn't resigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagles

cooper,maclin,jones and thornton are our main priorities dont think any of them will get franchised if they decide to go (bar maby jones should have been in the pro bowl)

riley cooper likley signs a 3-4 year contract for fair money on both sides only other place i see him goin is pats

maclin will resign on a one year contract to show what he can do in this offense i feel

jason avant should be released still has some of the safest hands in the league will be a good cheap signing for someone

james casey may or may not be released no real comment on him didnt do much this year great blocker though

brandon graham is going into the final year of his contract i think he could be got for a 3rd rounder and would rip it up for a team running a 4-3

only chance we have of making a big signing in fa is byrd or ward we need a saftey bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

We're the poster boys for why you shouldn't rely on Free Agency for anything.

Anyways, we're set to lose Decker, Woodyard, DRC and Moreno as it is, they'll be good additions to a genuine contender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Donte Whitner :- Had a very good year, says he wants to return but if someone offers sill money a la Goldson last year I reckon he could be gone. I don't see the 49ers breaking the bank for him but if he offers a home town discount I'd be happy to see him back.

Tarell Brown : Similar to Whitner, coming off a good year and with corner backs in short supply I imagine he will get an offer that the 49ers will not match, if I had to guess I would say he will be gone.

Anquan Boldin: Boldin was traded for last year and it was a great trade for us, I imagine we offer him a pretty good deal and hope we can hold on to him. There's trouble ahead at the WR position so it would be great to have him mentor whoever gets drafted.

Carlos Rogers: Not a Free Agent but his cap hit for next year is too large for him to play it out, either he gets released or he redoes his deal, I think he gets cut, he was a liability at times this year so I imagine he will be gone.

Frank Gore: Not a free agent either but similar to Rogers he will need to redo his deal, with Lattimore waiting in the wings I expect Gore to redo his deal and stay to mentor Lattimore but it is far from certain he will be back.

They would be the key guys for this offseason but the following year looms large as Kaepernick, Aldon Smith, Iupati, Crabtree, Culliver, Miller all need new deals ( though the 49ers do have an option of a 5th year on Smith).

Some smart cap management will be needed over the next 2 off seasons.

spiralism wrote: »
    We're the poster boys for why you shouldn't rely on Free Agency for anything.

Anyways, we're set to lose Decker, Woodyard, DRC and Moreno as it is, they'll be good additions to a genuine contender.

Decent additions. None of them are huge losses for you guys. You lost your sh!t in the Broncos thread a bit. You guys will be back. Anything can happen in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Jaruius Byrd to the Colts please!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Green Bay Free Agents:

Been pretty much discussed over in the GB thread but a brief look -

Likely to return - Sam Shields, Ryan Pickett, James Jones, John Kuhn, Evan Dietrich Smith, Matt Flynn, Johnny Jolly, Mike Neal, CJ Wilson, Andrew Quarless.

BJ Raji is borderline. Personally wouldn't be awful sad to see him go unless he's realistic, but he's going to want to get paid.

Jermichael Finley got cleared for contact in a few weeks but again it's hard to see us matching his valuation and some other sides may take a chance and pay him more despite his injury.

Marshall Newhouse will be hopefully sent packing. Seneca Wallace will be gone too.

James Starks may try elsewhere given we've Lacy, Franklin and DuJuan Harris returning from injury.

Of the ones likely to return, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't meet James Jones or Quarless valuations, or if they are offered more elsewhere.

As for picking up any free agents - we won't. We'll depend on the draft as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Patriots 2014 Offensive Free Agents.
    Julian Edelman, WR
    Austin Collie, WR
    LeGarrette Blount, RB
    Michael Hoomanawanui, TE
    Matthew Mulligan, TE
    Ryan Wendell, OL
    Will Svitek, OL

Patriots 2014 Defensive Free Agents.
    Aqib Talib, CB
    Brandon Spikes, LB
    Dane Fletcher, LB
    Andre Carter, DE

Patriots 2014 Special Teams Free Agents.
    Danny Aiken, LS

More details on them here..http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88823863&postcount=4660

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans D

Antonio Johnson, DT (wont be re-signed)
    Ropati Pitoitua, DT (will be re-signed)
    Zac Diles, LB (wont be re-signed)
    Alterraun Verner, CB (hard to know, will demand big money)
    Bernard Pollard, S (will be re-signed)

Titans Offense
    Greg Jones, FB (wont be re-signed)
    Kenny Britt, WR (wont be re-signed)
    Marc Mariani, WR (undecided between Wash and Mariani)
    Kevin Walter, WR (wont be re-signed)
    Damian Williams, WR (will be re-signed)
    Mike Otto, OL (will be re-signed)
    Kevin Matthews, OL (wont be re-signed)
    Chris Spencer, OL (wont be re-signed)
    Rob Turner, OL (wont be re-signed)
    Rusty Smith, QB (wont be re-signed)
    Jackie Battle, RB (would like him back, but hard to know)
    Leon Washington, RB (undecided between Wash and Mariani)

Cuts
    Chris Johnson RB - Cant see him staying on the money he's on and wont take a pay cut

Wimbley DE/OLB - with a possible move to a hybrid 4-3/3-4 system he may stay but only if he takes a pay cut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

San Diego Chargers

Seyi Ajirotutu Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - I'd like to see him back, great special teams gunner
    Danario Alexander Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - injury waiting to happen again but a brilliant receiver, I'd like to see him get another shot
    Bront Bird Linebacker 2014: Restricted Free Agent - don't let the door hit you on the way out
    Ronnie Brown Running Back 2014: Free Agent - thanks for the memories Ron but bye
    Donald Butler Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - Must sign but will be pricey
    Larry English Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - see Bront Bird
    Lavelle Hawkins Wide Receiver 2014: Free Agent - who?, bye bye
    Terrell Manning Linebacker 2013: Free Agent - bye
    Richard Marshall Defensive Back 2014: Free Agent - I'd like to see him brought back for depth
    Rich Ohrnberger Guard 2014: Free Agent - will be re-signed valuable can play 3 interior positions
    Ryan Otten Tight End 2013: Free Agent - who?, bye
    Chad Rinehart Guard 2014: Free Agent - should be back nice RG
    Steve Schilling Tackle 2014: Restricted Free Agent - end of the rd for Steve bye bye
    Darrell Stuckey Defensive Back 2014: Free Agent - hoping no other team sees how good this guy is on STs and is starting to see some time on D too
    Cam Thomas Defensive Lineman 2014: Free Agent - total underachiever would need to come back cheaply
    Reggie Walker Linebacker 2014: Free Agent - has something, might be back
    Charlie Whitehurst Quarterback 2014: Free Agent - all depends on Sorensen, Charlie might be toast

Others

Jeromey Clary Tackle - signed thru 2014 but too expensive to carry so will have to restructure or he is gone
    Dwight Freeney Linebacker - signed thru 2014 but question mark on if he will be brought back not getting any younger

I'd love to see us go hard after Alex Mack and best FA NT out there whoever he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Giants:

Offence:
    Curtis Painter QB
    Hakeem Nicks WR
    Louis Murphy WR
    Andre Brown RB
    Brandon Myers TE
    Bear Pascoe TE
    Brandon Jacobs RB (Retiring)
    Peyton Hillis RB
    Henry Hynoski FB*
    David Diehl OL (Retiring)
    Kevin Boothe OL
    Jim Cordle C

Defence:
    Justin Tuck DE
    Linval Joseph DT
    Shaun Rodgers DT
    Mike Patterson DT
    Keith Rivers LB
    Jon Beason LB
    Mark Herzlich LB*
    Spencer Paysinger LB*
    Stevie Brown S
    Ryan Mundy S
    Terrell Thomas CB
    Trumaine McBride CB
    Aaron Ross CB

*=Restricted FA

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I've seen Dominic Raoila mentioned a lot lately. Lions offensive line had a good year and he was the leader. 35 years old alright but a veteran center is needed even for just a year. Matt Birk wasn't appreciated until he was gone!

I wouldn't get ye're hopes up on that. When he was out of contract last year, he said that if the Lions didn't re-sign him he would retire. Doesn't want to play for another team at this stage of his career.
    I'd assume he is probably of the same opinion again this year.

Free Agent team

Offense

QB: Mike Vick
    RB: Ben Tate
    FB: Erik Lorig
    WR: Eric Decker
    WR: Julian Edelman
    TE: Jimmy Graham
    OT: Brandon Albert & Jared Veldheer
    OG: Travelle Wharton & Geoff Schwarz
    C: Alex Mack

Defense
    DE: Greg Hardy & Michael Johnson
    DT: Linval Joseph & Henry Melton
    LB: Brian Orakpo, Donald Butler, Brandon Spikes
    CB: Alterraun Verner & Aqib Talib
    FS: Jarius Byrd
    SS: TJ Ward

Special teams

K: Steven Hauschka
    P: Pat McAfee

Could that free agent team make the playoffs? Vick staying healthy would be an issue obviously so may have to bring Chad Henne in as back up. Nice depth at running back with Toby Gerhart & Dennis Pitta would allow them to play 2 TE sets

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No place for the 3 key FA's from San Francisco? Boldin, Whitner or Brown?

adrian522 wrote: »
    No place for the 3 key FA's from San Francisco? Boldin, Whitner or Brown?

I guess a case could be made for Boldin over Decker but I wouldn't change the DB's

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I guess a case could be made for Boldin over Decker but I wouldn't change the DB's

Boldin loves the big game and I'd definitely take his toughness over Decker anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yeah would have Boldin in there but not Whitner and Brown.

Red Crow wrote: »
    Yeah would have Boldin in there but not Whitner and Brown.

Well I hope the rest of the league feels the same way and we can get those 2 free agents back on the cheap.

Both were key contributors on one of the best defenses in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Lionbacker wrote: »
    I wouldn't get ye're hopes up on that. When he was out of contract last year, he said that if the Lions didn't re-sign him he would retire. Doesn't want to play for another team at this stage of his career.
    I'd assume he is probably of the same opinion again this year.

Yep, Raolia signed a one year deal to stay with Detroit. Has no intentions of playing for anywhere else or testing FA

Ravens will look elsewhere for a veteran center, sigh

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Yep, Raolia signed a one year deal to stay with Detroit. Has no intentions of playing for anywhere else or testing FA

Ravens will look elsewhere for a veteran center, sigh

I'd like us to bring in Garza from Chicago. Unsure what the situation is regarding him staying there, but he seems to fit the bill. Very experienced, good size.

I wonder if Jonathan Goodwin fancies one last challenge?

The window for applying the Franchise Tag to players is between Feb 17th and March 3rd.

Who do you think your team will tag if anybody?

For the 49ers there are 4 players who could get tagged:

Phil Dawson K
    Anquan Boldin WR
    Donte Whitner S
    Tarell Brown CB

I think we can write off Boldin and Brown right off the bat as the tag would be too expensive at those positions. As of now the 49ers have about $7m in cap space, while they are likely to restructure Gore's contract and maybe cut the likes of Rogers and Goodwin I don't see them using valuable cap space on tagging either of those 2.

Whitner is a possibility but he is not really a top 5 safety and it makes no sense to pay him as one.

Dawson is another possibility but I'd be hopeful he will come back without needing the tag.

Prediction: No Franchise Tag for the 49ers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Only option for the Titans is Verner, but would imagine they'll try a long term deal first

• Advertisement

RE: franchise tag. It will be Pitta for the Ravens if a deal isn't done.

Advertisement