Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Denver expected to sign former Redskins C, Will Montgomery today. Montgomery was released by the Redskins on Friday. If he signs with Denver he is expected to play LG as replacement for Zane Beadles (or, less likely, play C, with Ramirez moving from C to LG)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Has anyone heard anything about Chris Clemons (safety)? Still a free agent as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about Chris Clemons (safety)? Still a free agent as far as I know!

Steelers were looking at him but signed someone else. Weird how little interest he is getting, could get him cheap now i would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Raf32 wrote: »
    Steelers were looking at him but signed someone else. Weird how little interest he is getting, could get him cheap now i would say.
    Good solid player with the Dolphins for the last couple of years. Still young enough too, I'd imagine he will get a decent contract somewhere. A solid starter would best describe him I think.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Good solid player with the Dolphins for the last couple of years. Still young enough too, I'd imagine he will get a decent contract somewhere. A solid starter would best describe him I think.

Yup was shocked he didnt have more interest and go early on during FA. Would love if the Colts picked him up.

• Advertisement

Will Mongomery left Denver without a contract offer

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie signed with the Giants (for significantly less than he was offered by Denver)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie signed with the Giants (for significantly less than he was offered by Denver)

i would be very wary of giving him a 5 year deal though considering only a month ago he spoke openly of retirement. I think most of the other teams interested in him were offering him a 1 year "prove it deal"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

phatkev wrote: »
    i would be very wary of giving him a 5 year deal though considering only a month ago he spoke openly of retirement. I think most of the other teams interested in him were offering him a 1 year "prove it deal"

Who were these teams? Broncos offered him 6 years and more money and the Jets offered him similar money to the Giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

jets beat reported that they offered a 6 million 1 year deal. I thought the broncos were only willing to give a 1 year deal and thats where the retirement talk came from, i could be wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Alex Mack finding no love in free agency, should prob sign the 10 mil tender at this stage tbh

• Advertisement

Alex Mack finding no love in free agency, should prob sign the 10 mil tender at this stage tbh

Yup agreed the transition tag practically took him off the market, so he is trapped there for another year. Will have plenty of offers next year.

phatkev wrote: »
    jets beat reported that they offered a 6 million 1 year deal. I thought the broncos were only willing to give a 1 year deal and thats where the retirement talk came from, i could be wrong though
    Elway and Russell structure Broncos contracts to be generous in year 1 and cap friendly in subsequent years.

Officially the Broncos offered DRC a 6 year $54M deal. In effect it was a 3 year deal worth $24M paying $10M in year 1, $6M in year 2 and $8M in year 3.

It appears the deal with the Giants is as follows -
    $10M signing bonus, $750k salary in 2014. $1M March roster bonus, $4.25M salary ($2M of it guaranteed) in 2015. $16M ($2million guaranteed) in 2016.

Since Elway became GM of the Broncos (in responsibility if not title until this season) he has approached negotiations by offering a fair deal and if the player/agent shows any hesitation in negotiations he moves straight to plan B. Denver offered DRC a very good deal - DRC turned it down demanding more money - Elway signed Talib in less than 5 hours for marginally more (and more cap friendly) than DRC was offered. He did the same thing with Jarod Allen who was offered basically the same deal as Ware and when LeFell hesitated he signed Sanders again within hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

when LeFell hesitated he signed Sanders again within hours.

:confused: LaFell never visited the Broncos, in fact he never even got out of New England. That was the snag.
    LaFell was supposed to visit the Broncos, but never made it that far and decided to sign in New England
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/15/patriots-add-brandon-lafell-receiving-corps/hMFz86qavzDR2qGmlDLfVI/story.html

Putin wrote: »
    :confused: LaFell never visited the Broncos, in fact he never even got out of New England. That was the snag.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/03/15/patriots-add-brandon-lafell-receiving-corps/hMFz86qavzDR2qGmlDLfVI/story.html
    Not all (or even most) negotiations take place face to face with the player. The Broncos were in negotiations with LeFell's agent. They offered a contract (apparently so did the Jets) - LeFell hesitated over some aspect of the offer - Elway signed Sanders. From what I have read the Broncos actually offered LaFell more money than the Pats finally signed him for.

From the Denver Post
    At one point, the Broncos were close in reaching an agreement with LaFell, but as he deliberated, the team checked back with Sanders.

Now I prefer Sanders - he is a better long-term option for the Broncos with the intention to move him to the slot when Welker is done.

They offered a contract (apparently so did the Jets) - LeFell hesitated over some aspect of the offer - Elway signed Sanders. From what I have read the Broncos actually offered LaFell more money than the Pats finally signed him for.

There are many reports out there depending on where they're coming from Boston/Denver ect. LaFell seems to make sense for the Pats and a lot of their fans have been looking for a WR like him. But paying 6 million less than what ye paid Sanders is very good business on their part. If what you said about the Broncos offering more money and him rejecting it is true? Then that should be a worry for you guys about the reasons why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Tandon Doss signed for the Jaguars today. Looks like he'll be backup as a WR and see some good play in the return game alongside Ace Sanders.

If what you said about the Broncos offering more money and him rejecting it is true? Then that should be a worry for you guys about the reasons why.
    I never said that LaFell rejected the Denver offer.

Elway has a track record over the past three years and particularly this off-season - he has a figure for a contract - the contract is always player friendly in year 1 and team friendly for the rest of the contract. Each time a player begins to indicate he is changing his position in the negotiations or seems to be prevaricating for some reason Elway promptly moves to plan B.

This season DRC was offered a substantial contract, the player shifted his negotiating position - Elway signed Talib in four hours. Jarod Allen was offered the same contract as Ware - he hesitated - Elway signed Ware. Elway was close to agreeing a deal with LaFell - LaFell was also talking to the Pats and the Jets - he hesitated and Elway signed Sanders. DRC and LaFell ended signing contracts for less money than Denver was offering and Allen was probably end up with less than Ware if he doesn't retire.

Now the Pats did good business in getting LaFell for the price he cost - but I am happy that the Broncos got Sanders - he fits the long term plans of the Broncos better. Sanders was the Broncos initial target but his agent indicated that the Broncos would have to pay more than Elway was willing so Elway moved to LaFell. When LaFell hesitated Elway contacted Sanders and found the price had dropped.

The Broncos were in much better shape in terms of the salary cap than the Pats prior to free agency - and they are still in better shape than the Pats.

I am looking forward to the coming season and how both teams shape up against one another - both teams have upgraded (so far) - but I am confident that the Broncos have the players capable of making it to the SB.

I never said that LaFell rejected the Denver offer.

No you said
    LeFell hesitated over some aspect of the offer - Elway signed Sanders. From what I have read the Broncos actually offered LaFell more money than the Pats finally signed him for.

So whether he hesitated or rejected or refused or changed his mind it's all the same. He didn't sign despite getting more money offered by the Broncos and I am just curious to find out why.

Mike McGlynn visiting the Redskins :pac:

So whether he hesitated or rejected or refused or changed his mind it's all the same. He didn't sign despite getting more money offered by the Broncos and I am just curious to find out why.
    Have you any idea how negotiations work - LaFell was trying to pump up his contract - just like DRC, just like Allen and just like countless other players this off-season. Elway's attitude (and it is the same for BB with the Pats) is that if you want to sign for the Broncos then you must show you want to play for the Broncos at a price that the Broncos can live with. LaFell baulked - Elway signed Sanders - and the Pats got LaFell for less money than the Broncos were offering because they had less competition and fewer options for LaFell. Credit the Pats - but I am very happy with the approach of the Broncos to free agency and have no worries (in fact prefer) getting Sanders over LaFell.

• Advertisement

Have you any idea how negotiations work - LaFell was trying to pump up his contract

Trying to pump up his contract so he then settles for less money with the Pats? Totally makes sense I suppose, after all I don't have your expertise on front office NFL negotiations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He didn't sign despite getting more money offered by the Broncos and I am just curious to find out why.

Well I'll bring you up to speed, LaFell gave two very clear reasons when he was interviewed as to why he came to the Patriots. (1) was Tom Brady and (2) was the 13 consecutive winning seasons and consistent success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The Broncos have a better QB right now and are nearer the Super Bowl so neither of those really wash.

Seems like his agent tried to stall for more money from anyone but Elway switching focus robbed LaFell of any leverage he may have had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

LaFell has a bit of a mouth on him too saying that he wants to play with a HOF QB and that Newton isn't there yet. I don't mind what he's saying but this is Brandon LaFell talking not Jerry Rice. I'm sure Cam Newton and Tom Brady would like a HOF receiver too and not some #2 guy.

Syferus wrote: »
    The Broncos have a better QB

Yes we know he's better than Tebow, but then so are my dogs.

Seems like his agent tried to stall for more money

So that's why he hesitated and went for less money in NE? Seems legit alright.

Well I'll bring you up to speed, LaFell gave two very clear reasons when he was interviewed as to why he came to the Patriots. (1) was Tom Brady and (2) was the 13 consecutive winning seasons and consistent success.

Cheers Corvus, that makes total sense and a who could blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭nerd69

The Broncos have a better QB right now and are nearer the Super Bowl so neither of those really wash.

Seems like his agent tried to stall for more money from anyone but Elway switching focus robbed LaFell of any leverage he may have had.

thats massively subjective

peyton had a better year but also a vastly superior group of receivers also most importantly peyton has consistently hit a brick wall when if comes to the playoffs brady may have been the same in recent years but when a guy has 3 rings you have him the benefit of the doubt.

with regards the teams the addition of revis is huge in my opinion the afc championship game was pretty much decided when talib went off again i don't think hes gone past it so im expecting a big year there. add lafell and a few receivers in the draft to beef up the receivers and you have level pegging at least in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I think it's more of an involvement thing tbh.

Choosing between Brady and Manning is a coinflip, as is choosing who is more of a winning organisation between Denver and NE going forward, but the important quote to me is:

“I feel like it was a better chance to come up here and get more balls and win than it was in Carolina."

Obviously that's comparing NE and Carolina, but he obviously values targets and he would definitely get more targets in NE than he would in Denver. Manning spreads the ball around alright, but I'm not sure how many snaps he'd have been on the field for to begin with while competing with Welker, Thomas #1, Thomas #2 etc.

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    but he obviously values targets and he would definitely get more targets in NE than he would in Denver.

Nobody could possibly know that. LaFell/Sanders were lined up to replace Deckers production, so you could argue that he would have been targeted more in Denver.
    TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Manning spreads the ball around alright

He'll face the same problem in NE, spreading the ball around is something the likes of Brady, Brees and Rodgers always do. Pats fans can feel free to correct me, but I assume Gronk (if he is ever healthy) Edelman, Amendola and maybe even Dobson ( if healthy) come first in the depth chart. So LaFell might only be 4-5 on the depth chart.

This is developing into a nonsense argument.

Denver were negotiating with LaFell along with the Pats and the Jets. It looks like LaFell's agent tried to bump up the price and Elway pulled the contract and signed Sanders. He did the same thing with DRC and Allen.

LaFell could have signed with the Pats even if this had not happened but it did and the Pats got LaFell for less than what Denver was offering. Once Elway pulled the offer to LaFell it strengthened BB's hand - LaFell could have turned down the Pats but risked getting even less later as teams used up their cap space and had little to offer him.

Is anyone really surprised with the reasons LaFell gave for signing with the Pats - if he had signed with the Broncos I am sure that he would have said he did so because of 1) Payton Manning and 2) Denver were in the SB this year.

Here is hoping that the Pats and the Broncos make each other into better teams (and the Broncos are better equipped to win the SB next season).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Lafell is nothing special. I watched every Panthers game this year and he never really stood out. The only reason we saw an increase in receptions was Steve Smith deteriorating to some extent. He really isn't worth the hassle.

Advertisement