Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cardinals sign Antonio Cromartie.
    How good is the NFC West :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ladies of Arizona... watch out.. the impregnator is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Raf32 wrote: »

The Rams will shop that 2nd pick for another ransom and, at that stage, you'll just have to pity the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Raf32 wrote: »

Their secondary is very good. Extremely rangy and athletic.

Jared Allen to the Seahawks, per the usual sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Paully D wrote: »

Cant really look past them again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Might have our first on field NFL QB homicide if the Seahawks get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Lafell is nothing special. I watched every Panthers game this year and he never really stood out.

Means nothing to Brady though, the guy has spent his career transforming average WR's into good ones.

Paully D wrote: »

This is getting ridiculous, they should be banned from improving their D.:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Fitzpatrick is signing with the texans, so he'll continue to throw balls to titans players..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

This is getting ridiculous, they should be banned from improving their D.:(

Really shows the benefit of hitting on your mid round draft picks. Having Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, Wagner & of course Russell Wilson on relatively small contracts gives you money to spend elsewhere

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Really shows the benefit of hitting on your mid round draft picks. Having Sherman, Chancellor, KJ Wright, Wagner & of course Russell Wilson on relatively small contracts gives you money to spend elsewhere

Their bubble might start bursting in 2015 when Sherman and Wright become Free Agents. Wagner & Wilson then follow in 2016. But when you think of the ridiculous money some CB's got this year. Sherman might feel like he's entiteld to take the front office to the cleaners. Of course luck might continue to go their, because the Cap ceiling is expected to rise significantly through to 2016.

Their bubble might start bursting in 2015 when Sherman and Wright become Free Agents. Wagner & Wilson then follow in 2016. But when you think of the ridiculous money some CB's got this year. Sherman might feel like he's entiteld to take the front office to the cleaners. Of course luck might continue to go their, because the Cap ceiling is expected to rise significantly through to 2016.

Correct me if I'm wrong but under the new CBA rookies can re-negotiate contracts after 3 years. Barring a horror show Wilson is going to want to get paid next year as well. The band will certainly start to break up then.

I love Richard Sherman but paying CB's top dollar is crazy IMO. I'd rather invest in a decent pass rush (not happy with us committing so much to DRC for instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Lafell is nothing special. I watched every Panthers game this year and he never really stood out. The only reason we saw an increase in receptions was Steve Smith deteriorating to some extent. He really isn't worth the hassle.

Very possibly but Brady and Belichick have spent their whole careers making average WR's look good. If he works hard and learns the playbook (not easy in NE) they will get him the ball. If he doesn't learn the offence inside out. He's toast. They will barely use him a la Chad Johnson.

Correct me if I'm wrong but under the new CBA rookies can re-negotiate contracts after 3 years.

I may be wrong, but I don't think rookies themselves can renegotiate contracts after year 3. But a franchise can extend if they so wish. I know that in year 3 of a 1st round draftee's contract, a franchise can activate a 5 year option which turns their 4 year contract into a 5 year deal. But say in a QB's case, they will have to pay him in year 5 the average pay of a top 10 QB. So Wilson's pay will shoot up in his fifth year. Assuming the franchise do not make an early move on a extension of course. All players drafted in rounds 1-2 get a 25% increase in pay for every year of their rookie contract.

But all players drafted in rounds 3-7, their pay does not increase at 25% every year. But since the CBA standardised all perks & pay escalators. The only change for these players salaries after year 3 is, if they have played 35% of offensive/defensive snaps for their first three seasons. Then they get a salary in year 4, equivalent to that of a restricted free agent that plays their position.

For undrafted rookie free agents, the CBA dictates they get a 3 year contract, with a minimum value of $1.44 million over the lifetime of that contract. A franchise can add in individual incentives into a UDFA contract, but they will still be financially worse off than their drafted colleagues.

TL;DR? = Rookies can't instigate a renegotiation of their own contracts after 3 years. But the franchise can.

I may be wrong, but I don't think rookies themselves can renegotiate contracts after year 3. But a franchise can extend if they so wish. I know that in year 3 of a 1st round draftee's contract, a franchise can activate a 5 year option which turns their 4 year contract into a 5 year deal. But say in a QB's case, they will have to pay him in year 5 the average pay of a top 10 QB. So Wilson's pay will shoot up in his fifth year. Assuming the franchise do not make an early move on a extension of course. All players drafted in rounds 1-2 get a 25% increase in pay for every year of their rookie contract.

But all players drafted in rounds 3-7, their pay does not increase at 25% every year. But since the CBA standardised all perks & pay escalators. The only change for these players salaries after year 3 is, if they have played 35% of offensive/defensive snaps for their first three seasons. Then they get a salary in year 4, equivalent to that of a restricted free agent that plays their position.

For undrafted rookie free agents, the CBA dictates they get a 3 year contract, with a minimum value of $1.44 million over the lifetime of that contract. A franchise can add in individual incentives into a UDFA contract, but they will still be financially worse off than their drafted colleagues.

TL;DR? = Rookies can't instigate a renegotiation of their own contracts after 3 years. But the franchise can.

Thanks Corvus.

I wonder would the Seahawks risk letting Wilson's contract get into the final year. If he has another good year it would leave a pretty sour taste if he was made play the final year for buttons.

I wonder would the Seahawks risk letting Wilson's contract get into the final year. If he has another good year it would leave a pretty sour taste if he was made play the final year for buttons.

True and if they want to keep him, they'll need to tie him up before the 2015 season I reckon. His contract is due in 2016 and if they let his rookie contract play out, the guy might be pretty pissed enough take his services elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I really can’t wait till Kaep, Wilson, Thomas et all are due their pay-days. The NFC will just be just farcically hard until then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They could let him play out his rookie deal, then franchise him for $16-18m which would give them 3 years at an outlay of about $6m or $7m per year. They could even franchise him a second time if they hadn't got a deal worked out by then. No panic getting a deal done in 2015 I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

adrian522 wrote: »
    They could let him play out his rookie deal, then franchise him for $16-18m which would give them 3 years at an outlay of about $6m or $7m per year. They could even franchise him a second time if they hadn't got a deal worked out by then. No panic getting a deal done in 2015 I don't think.

Yeah both sides have a certain amount of leverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thanks Corvus.

This question led me directly to thinking about Sanchise and what will happen with him.

I can see Pete Carroll taking him as a backup if there is not much interest and he can get him cheap. He knows the guy very well obviously and having a very friendly QB system means he could work out there.

Wilson has looked decent over the past two years but I can't help thinking that Carroll would prefer to not tie a lot of money down in a QB contract. Its the reason why they were able to hold onto a roster like they had last season.

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the coming months.

Kenny Britt visiting the Bills... and Titans it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Just noticed Jared Allen left Seattle without accepting an offer. Apparently he is deciding what offer to accept over the weekend.

Lance Moore to the Steelers, per La Canfora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Matt Schaub to Raiders for a 6th round pick this year

TO. wrote: »
    Matt Schaub to Raiders for a 6th round pick this year

First look at his jersey:

BjRl5hFIEAASU_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Sanchez has been cut, not a surprise really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

jaysus its all happening Jets just confirmed Vick has joined them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

phatkev wrote: »
    jaysus its all happening Jets just confirmed Vick has joined them

That confirms it......career over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

That confirms it......career over

Geno's I assume? Vick must start surely. Smith is so bad I would cut losses on him already, having had the misfortune of seeing the guy play in the flesh. I think Vick will do well. Sneaky DeSean J trade now....?! Jets could be going places, and dat defence mmmmmm!

Advertisement