Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Free Agency

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,527 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing with Johnson is that he was devastating alongside Vince Young. If the Titans have that threat from the QB it will create that little bit of extra space to get him to the second level and we all know how dangerous he is once he gets there.
    His problem has always been finding a way through the hole and to be fair he doesn't get much room very often and eventually that will affect your confidence and belief.
    A mobile QB for me will bring him back to his best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

eagle eye wrote: »
    The thing with Johnson is that he was devastating alongside Vince Young. If the Titans have that threat from the QB it will create that little bit of extra space to get him to the second level and we all know how dangerous he is once he gets there.
    His problem has always been finding a way through the hole and to be fair he doesn't get much room very often and eventually that will affect your confidence and belief.
    A mobile QB for me will bring him back to his best.

Yep.. i fully agree. If Johnson was playing with a legit QB threat i think he'd rack up a lot of yards.

I'll be honest i think he's going to stay this year. There are no better RBs on the market at this point. The Titans have the cap, keep him and lets see what he can do in the new Whiz offense and if he sucks cut him next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Evan Mathis possibly the best guard in the league is on the trade block apparently losing Jackson would be unfortunate loseing Mathis would be a disaster shady running to him and peters side was devastating this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Jared Allen has signed with the Bears for a four year $32million deal with $15.5million guaranteed.

Another player who signed for a lower value contract than offered to him by the Broncos. Elway has set out his stall - this is our offer - if there is a problem we have a plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

nerd69 wrote: »
    Evan Mathis possibly the best guard in the league is on the trade block apparently losing Jackson would be unfortunate loseing Mathis would be a disaster shady running to him and peters side was devastating this year

:confused:

That makes no sense. He's not even paid that well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Another player who signed for a lower value contract than offered to him by the Broncos. Elway has set out his stall - this is our offer - if there is a problem we have a plan B.

That's not how it happened according to Rapoport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's not how it happened according to Rapoport.

Not surprising to be honest.

Wouldn't make sense to take a lower offer from Chicago unless he felt they had a better chance of a superbowl than Denver, which would be unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not surprising to be honest.

Wouldn't make sense to take a lower offer from Chicago unless he felt they had a better chance of a superbowl than Denver, which would be unlikely.

Unless he really grew to hate Christian Ponder.

Personally I think its a lot to pay for a 32 year old Lineman either way.

I went through this last week - and it makes clear sense when you look at the sequence of events

Allen received an offer from Denver comparable to the deal signed by Ware - roughly a three year deal with $20million guaranteed over the first two years. Allen wanted $12million a year - Elway pulled the offer and signed Ware. Allen then had to choose to accept a subsequent lower offer from the Bears or retire.

This process has happened three times this off-season in Denver

Denver offered DRC a five year deal worth approx $8million a year - DRC wanted more - Denver pulled the offer and signed Talib for $9m
    Denver offered LaFell a deal worth approx $5million a year - LaFell tried to bump the price up - Denver pulled the offer and signed Sanders for $5m
    Denver offered Allen a three year deal worth approx €10million a year - Allen wanted more - Denver pulled the offer and signed Ware for €10m

In each case the unsigned player subsequently signed a lower contract with another team - this happened for two reasons 1. less competition for the player so less likelihood of a bidding war and 2. teams have been spending their available cap money limiting the possibility of a large contract for the remaining free agents.

There is a clear pattern - Denver makes an offer - they set out their stall and if the player doesn't want to deal at that number they pull the offer and move to sign a different player. Players and their agents now know where they stand with the Broncos and clearly understand the approach of the Broncos to signing free agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Allen received an offer from Denver comparable to the deal signed by Ware - roughly a three year deal with $20million guaranteed over the first two years. Allen wanted $12million a year - Elway pulled the offer and signed Ware. Allen then had to choose to accept a subsequent lower offer from the Bears or retire.

He had an offer from the Seahawks and multiple reports say he rejected his biggest offer from the Raiders.

• Advertisement

I went through this last week - and it makes clear sense when you look at the sequence of events

This process has happened three times this off-season in Denver

Denver offered DRC a five year deal worth approx $8million a year - DRC wanted more - Denver pulled the offer and signed Talib for $9m
    Denver offered LaFell a deal worth approx $5million a year - LaFell tried to bump the price up - Denver pulled the offer and signed Sanders for $5m
    Denver offered Allen a three year deal worth approx €10million a year - Allen wanted more - Denver pulled the offer and signed Ware for €10m
    His agent said he was never offered that deal. He didn't say it this week, it was a while ago.

Everything you are saying here is based upon a rumour that he was offered something he wasn't by Denver.

Rapoport reported the Broncos never allowed Allen the chance to sign the deal they had in mind for him. They made it known what they would offer him, but held off on actually offering it to him until they knew what happened with Ware. They got Ware, and Allen was never given a deal to sign.
    That deal Broncos signed Ware to? They had the same 3-year, $30M deal on the table for Jared Allen. DEN waited to see who was free. Ware was
    — Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 12, 2014
    To be clear on Jared Allen’s offer from the #Broncos, he would’ve taken it. Was fine with the money (3 for $10M). But Broncos made him wait

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

In other news, welcome back JaMarcus.:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd always be wary of believing everything I hear off beat reporters, often they are fed stories from inside the organisation to make people within the team seem like they are doing a better job than they actually are.

In other news, welcome back JaMarcus.:)

About that top 100 players of 2013....

About that top 100 players of 2013....

Shhh, I feel bad about not finishing that. I get these great ideas, but my follow-through is usually half-arsed.

Edit: FWIW, Peterson ran away with it. Rodgers, Megatron, Watt and Brady rounded off the top 5.

Edit: FWIW, Peterson ran away with it. Rodgers, Megatron, Watt and Brady rounded off the top 5.
    Do you have the list?

davyjose wrote: »
    Do you have the list?

I have *a* list but I don't know if it's the final one - I broke the screen on the laptop I did most of the work on. I have a copy saved on my work computer, here's what the standings were. I'm pretty sure these were final, I just don't have any of the stats on this computer. In the yellow tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I have *a* list but I don't know if it's the final one - I broke the screen on the laptop I did most of the work on. I have a copy saved on my work computer, here's what the standings were. I'm pretty sure these were final, I just don't have any of the stats on this computer. In the yellow tab.

Welcome back homie and awesome we get to see who everyone picked.

TO. wrote: »
    ..awesome we get to see who everyone picked.
    Which reminds me, I'm still compiling my one.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

I broke the screen on the laptop I did most of the work on.

What is it with you and Corvus and broken screens.

TO. wrote: »
    What is it with you and Corvus and broken screens.

Well mine is just pure rage related tbh. Reading stuff about Heli's and Adrian's wonderful stateside trips to the Seahawks and 49er's & stuff like that. Or when some Pats fans can give us a weather report just before kick off, because they're living within sight of Gillette. Basically people that just make me sick wish I was them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I must've been smoking crack when I sent in mine. Amazing how the opinion of players changes in such short period of time!

Rapoport reported the Broncos never allowed Allen the chance to sign the deal they had in mind for him. They made it known what they would offer him, but held off on actually offering it to him until they knew what happened with Ware. They got Ware, and Allen was never given a deal to sign.
    That deal Broncos signed Ware to? They had the same 3-year, $30M deal on the table for Jared Allen. DEN waited to see who was free. Ware was
    To be clear on Jared Allen’s offer from the #Broncos, he would’ve taken it. Was fine with the money (3 for $10M). But Broncos made him wait
    Rapaport can report what he wants - I will accept information from proven contacts in Denver. But it is common knowledge in Denver that Allen had the opportunity for a $30m 3-year deal with the Broncos.
    Source close to the situation would be "shocked" if Jared Allen doesn't end up with the Denver Broncos... The only problem could be the price tag...The Broncos would have the available salary cap space to strike such a deal with Allen.
    Fox 31 Denver
    The Broncos had been trying to work out a deal with the star pass rusher but when the two sides reached a stalemate, and the Dallas Cowboys released Ware on Tuesday, Elway called an audible.
    Denver Post 11/03/13
    The Broncos were in on Jared Allen. But Allen was seeking a deal that was too rich for the Broncos. As Allen deliberated, the Dallas Cowboys released Ware to avoid paying him $16 million this year.
    Denver Post 13/03

And then this one -
    NFL Network's Ian Rapaport reports that the Broncos had a three-year, $30 million deal on the table for former Minnesota Vikings star Jared Allen.

Allen tried to drag out extra money - the Broncos signed Ware and Allen ended up with less money in Chicago.

All this stuff is anonymous sourced though. Hard to trust any of that unless it comes from multiple sources.

Rapaport can report what he wants - I will accept information from proven contacts in Denver. But it is common knowledge in Denver that Allen had the opportunity for a $30m 3-year deal with the Broncos.

Fox 31 Denver

Denver Post 11/03/13

Denver Post 13/03

And then this one -

Allen tried to drag out extra money - the Broncos signed Ware and Allen ended up with less money in Chicago.
    Source close to the situation would be "shocked" if Jared Allen doesn't end up with the Denver Broncos... The only problem could be the price tag...The Broncos would have the available salary cap space to strike such a deal with Allen.
    I googled this and the only place it turns up is boards.ie where you posted it.

and the second, well I've added the first line which makes it a hell of a lot different. I've highlighted the important word.
    Same, apparently, for former Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen. The Broncos had been trying to work out a deal with the star pass rusher but when the two sides reached a stalemate, and the Dallas Cowboys released Ware on Tuesday, Elway called an audible.

Your third one has no money figures at all and then you use Rappaport after saying
    Rapaport can report what he wants - I will accept information from proven contacts in Denver.

:rolleyes:

Rapaport can report what he wants - I will accept information from proven contacts in Denver.
    Source close to the situation would be "shocked" if Jared Allen doesn't end up with the Denver Broncos....

You say you'll only accept proven contacts in Denver, but you then go on to quote Chris Tomasson, who covers the Minnesota Vikings - not the Denver Broncos - for the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and has only been doing so for less than 6 months having previously been an NBA writer.

IQGuMgP.png

The second part of the Fox 31 Denver quote you have above is in this article, and is just the author's (Will Holden) opinion - he's not claiming it's from a source or anything. From what i can see, Holden has never mentioned his own sources either in any of his coverage of the Broncos. He only ever references what he's read on twitter. Hardly proven.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans sign Shaun Phillips

I googled this and the only place it turns up is boards.ie where you posted it.
    I posted the references - not my fault you can't google properly.
    and the second, well I've added the first line which makes it a hell of a lot different. I've highlighted the important word.
    A different source which they appear to have lifted from the original article in the Denver Post
    Your third one has no money figures at all and then you use Rappaport after saying
    The point I was making about Rapaport appears to have gone over your head - he initially stated that the Broncos made an offer and then later changed his views - perhaps - just perhaps - he was right the first time.

I have taken a very close interest in the Broncos actions during the off-season - the strategy employed by Elway is as clear as day for anyone who wants to see it - it is not rocket science. The suggestion that Elway played along with Allen to see if Ware became available is not accurate - the Broncos have had a long-term interest in Allen and tried to trade for him in October. The Broncos made a offer to Allen - Allen tried to bump up the price - the Broncos pulled the offer and signed Ware to the same deal (just as they did with DRC/Talib and LaFell/Sanders).

Now - I really don't get all the hoo-haa about this - the Broncos went out to get four players in free agency - they targeted TJ Ward, DRC, Allen and Sanders. Ward signed off the bat - DRC wanted more than the Broncos were willing to offer so they signed Talib - Allen wanted more than the Broncos were willing to offer so they signed Ware - Sanders wanted more than the Broncos were willing to offer so they went after LaFell - when LaFell looked to bump the price the Broncos went back to Sanders found his price had dropped, pulled the offer to LaFell and signed Sanders. All in all I am delighted with the FA moves by Elway - I regard Ward as an excellent signing at a position of weakness - I think Talib is better than DRC - I think Ware is a lot better than Allen - I regard Sanders as better than LaFell and a more than adequate replacement for Decker - on top of that the Broncos are likely to get at least one (and possibly two) compensatory 4th round pick for their losses in FA.

• Advertisement

Which reminds me, I'm still compiling my one.:pac:

Me too

Advertisement