Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭colmufc

Its jumped the shark I'm done with it unless this is the last season in which case I'll stick it out but its really disappointing this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Flimpson wrote: »
    Just watched episode 6. Crikey, that was dark.

Although there was a nice (and unexpected) tender moment. Particular quality in the writing/acting this episode. Although I'm not sure how the French lady contributes to it, but time will tell I'm sure.

What was the tender moment?
    I was so bored by the episode that I turned it off before the end.
    Such a shame as I was hooked on the previous series!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

the thing is, it's no longer about the affair. Should be called the fallout or Noah's meltdown. Getting very annoyed with Helen, what is with her? Does she want to get back with Noah or what? Paying a visit to their college friend, you could tell straight away it was a booty call, but why when she has the doctor fella!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Mc Love wrote: »
    the thing is, it's no longer about the affair. Should be called the fallout or Noah's meltdown. Getting very annoyed with Helen, what is with her? Does she want to get back with Noah or what? Paying a visit to their college friend, you could tell straight away it was a booty call, but why when she has the doctor fella!?

She's still in love with him, but she comes off as desperate and clingy and I've lost the sympathy that I had for her previously. She's just annoying now.

Everyone having sex with everyone is getting very boring.

The scene with Helen and that guy was actually uncomfortable and cringey to watch I felt. I was actually thinking 'ah here we go again, more shagging' and then the scenes with Noah and the French woman...meh, I'm just bored by it all. I find the French woman HUGELY irritating and I zone out when she's on screen.

The first season was so good, it's incredible how downhill it's gone.
    But a part of me wants to stick with it in the hope that it picks up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe its been renewed. Noah's story is completely nuts, and probably the most entertaining. The different take/view he has of the world is complete contrast to everyone else, although Alison does have much of the same "out there" view herself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I can't get over how the whole ethos of the show has changed.

It’s changed from a gripping drama with interesting characters and inter-relationships to some sort of psychological thriller.

Also, why does every woman that Noah meets end up shagging or want to shag him. Totally stupid.

Plot line is ridiculous too. Noah gets stabbed, serious injury and loss of blood that brings on a cardiac arrest, as we saw him getting defibrillation treatment in the hospital.

After this near death experience, he’s out of hospital within days, fit as a fiddle and as virile as champion stallion in a field of fillies and just suffers with his shoulder pain.

I am actually disappointed that it has been renewed for a fourth season. He’ll probably end up as an astronaut on Mars or something,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, why does every woman that Noah meets end up shagging or want to shag him. Totally stupid.

Yeah I pointed this out on this thread before and got slagged off for it.
    That was one the things that really annoyed me about The Sopranos too even though I loved the show. Almost every woman Tony met wanted to have sex with him two seconds after meeting him. About the only female he didn't shag was Meadow (his daughter).

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah I pointed this out on this thread before and got slagged off for it.
    That was one the things that really annoyed me about The Sopranos too even though I loved the show. Almost every woman Tony met wanted to have sex with him two seconds after meeting him. About the only female he didn't shag was Meadow (his daughter).

Noah seems to not mind a bit of Whitney , christ I'm done no knowing it's got a renewal , I was only sticking around cause it was meant to be 3 seasons only

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Does Noah shag more than the others? All four main characters get around a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Helen can wear that black turtle neck any time. Just sayin'

Honestly couldn't remember who the Brit was, even with the 'previously on'.

Something about the tone of Noah's POV was pretty unnerving and the camera angles too. It felt like a play and the audience was being invited to help him implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I'm really enjoying it although I do feel this Season is much slower than the previous 2. I only started watching the whole thing during the Christmas holidays and binged on Season 1 and 2! I think at this point Noah is hallucinating and that he isn't being followed at all, but I'm not sure how to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

Still enjoy the show. It's entertainment after all. The story has many angles, as I see it Helen is guilt ridden and needs to put herself on some equal level to Noah to 'appreciate' what he's been through. Noah has I reckon, been maybe sexually abused in the prison by Gunther and the drugs and hallucinations are attempts to both block and reveal the truth. The 'affair' is still prevalent considering it's a precursor to this scenario. Happy it'll return and also, Dominic West is a seriously cool actor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tazium wrote: »
    Still enjoy the show. It's entertainment after all. The story has many angles, as I see it Helen is guilt ridden and needs to put herself on some equal level to Noah to 'appreciate' what he's been through. Noah has I reckon, been maybe sexually abused in the prison by Gunther and the drugs and hallucinations are attempts to both block and reveal the truth. The 'affair' is still prevalent considering it's a precursor to this scenario. Happy it'll return and also, Dominic West is a seriously cool actor!

I largely agree. It's still a good solid captivating watch and I'm very much enjoying it, waiting for the big pay off as we near the finale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This show is weird.

This show is weird.

That post is strange! :P

I largely agree. It's still a good solid captivating watch and I'm very much enjoying it, waiting for the big pay off as we near the finale.

The problem is I don't think there will be a pay off this season or next or ever for that matter , quite alot of plot holes in the latest episode

Not sure whether I loved it hated that episode but at least everything's out in the open now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

colmufc wrote: »
    The problem is I don't think there will be a pay off this season or next or ever for that matter , quite alot of plot holes in the latest episode
    Like what?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Cole is an asshole, even a bigger one than Noah.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Cole is an asshole, even a bigger one than Noah.

How?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

eoghan104 wrote: »
    Like what?

Allison telling Helen she pushed Scotty into the road in Helen's version, but not in her own was a bit of a head scratcher.

Also, what kind of dumbasses would install a panic room that locks from the outside? :pac:

I'm actually really liking this season - bar the French professor. Brendan Fraser has been a standout.

How?!

The way he's lording it over Alison, the way he's shagging her behind his wife's back. He's constantly playing mind games with Luisa and Alison, Alison was mentally ill and that's the reason she left Joanie, she should not have to apologise for being ill.

Allison telling Helen she pushed Scotty into the road in Helen's version, but not in her own was a bit of a head scratcher.

Also, what kind of dumbasses would install a panic room that locks from the outside? :pac:

I'm actually really liking this season - bar the French professor. Brendan Fraser has been a standout.

I wasn't sure if that was the same conversation in the bar as last week or if they met again.

I agree about Cole. Pure wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Not sure whether I loved it hated that episode but at least everything's out in the open now

Clear as mud. The hopping backwards & forwards in time has me bamboozled. 100% agree about Brendan Fraser - He is sublime!

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Panic rooms do not have locks on the outside

How have no doctors told the cops it was a self inflicted wound (easy to tell from the angle)

I know each persons perspective is different but how can they be so different , like way completely different

This show started as one of the best dramas on tv and has turned into a ****show

Why would Alison tell Helen about scotty but in Alisons version she did not , from the way the show is been spun the only reason for it anymore is that all the characters are being interviewed by the cop from season 1 , it's the only reason for the different views and if so how would helen know to say Alison was there at the crash

I don't think I've ever seen a showt hats made me quite angry

Panic rooms do not have locks on the outside

How have no doctors told the cops it was a self inflicted wound (easy to tell from the angle)

I know each persons perspective is different but how can they be so different , like way completely different

This show started as one of the best dramas on tv and has turned into a ****show

Why would Alison tell Helen about scotty but in Alisons version she did not , from the way the show is been spun the only reason for it anymore is that all the characters are being interviewed by the cop from season 1 , it's the only reason for the different views and if so how would helen know to say Alison was there at the crash

I don't think I've ever seen a showt hats made me quite angry

So did Noah stab himself?

It's actually a rape dungeon.

Allison admitting to pushing Scotty was no big deal to her, a massive reveal to Helen.

The angle of the self inflicted wound would be consistent with an assailant of similar height doing it from behind.

It's actually a rape dungeon.

Allison admitting to pushing Scotty was no big deal to her, a massive reveal to Helen.

The angle of the self inflicted wound would be consistent with an assailant of similar height doing it from behind.
    Not the way he was holding the knife , an assailant would not hold the knife with the blade away from the neck

Also how is it not a big deal what she said it basically means that the 2 of them are equal for committing manslaughter

• Advertisement

Not the way he was holding the knife , an assailant would not hold the knife with the blade away from the neck

Also how is it not a big deal what she said it basically means that the 2 of them are equal for committing manslaughter

What we saw at the sink was a separate occasion to the time he actually stabbed himself; he was conscious of what he was doing this time.

Allison would have either assumed Noah told Helen or that Helen would never go to the cops to own up. Scotty kind of deserved to die from her POV. Either way she's not expecting to have to deal with the consequences now that time has been served.

Advertisement