Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Returns on August 25th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I hope the Brendan Frasier character is in it again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Ooh looks good! Very ambitious.

I thought season 4 was a big improvement on season 3, and the acting in this is great, so I’m keeping an open mind despite the sad twist last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Looks absolutely deadly. Is this the last season? Love this show

Thanks for posting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

yermandan wrote: »
    Looks absolutely deadly. Is this the last season? Love this show

Yes it will be the last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

They don't seem to be bothered with time if he's only 50, and Joanie is at least late teens (the actress is actually mid 30s) yet he was middle aged when she was a baby. And all the mad sh1t he's been through (much of it forgotten - Helen, ungrateful bitch!) only since his eldest two were already teenagers (when the affair started).

So yeah I still believe that very short clip I saw in a compilation of clips for upcoming series, showed Vik and Joanie getting jiggy.

It's gone totally ridiculous but I cannot fecking wait! :pac:

They don't seem to be bothered with time if he's only 50, and Joanie is at least late teens (the actress is actually mid 30s) yet he was middle aged when she was a baby. And all the mad sh1t he's been through (much of it forgotten - Helen, ungrateful bitch!) only since his eldest two were already teenagers (when the affair started).

So yeah I still believe that very short clip I saw in a compilation of clips for upcoming series, showed Vik and Joanie getting jiggy.

It's gone totally ridiculous but I cannot fecking wait! :pac:

I'm fairly sure it's 2 different timelines. One in the current timeline then the Anna Paquin is 20/30 years later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Unearthly wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it's 2 different timelines. One in the current timeline then the Anna Paquin is 20/30 years later
    /slaps own forehead

Duh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Was Cole in that clip?

Roanmore wrote: »
    Was Cole in that clip?
    reports say he won't be in this season. Not as a regular anyway

Returns August 27th on Sky Atlantic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭Homelander

Pretty good first episode in general but the brief Joanie plot stuck out like a sore, very unwanted thumb in the middle of solid drama. Hopefullly it goes somewhere worthwhile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Very topical tonight!

Fantastic segment imo between Janelle and her ex husband. Looking at day to day snippets of unintended but annoying racial biases, and how all these build up to the point where the person imagines racism when it wasn't intended. Some of it was cringey like in Get Out (Whitney to Janelle: "I think dating a woman of colour is, like, the coolest thing my dad has ever done").

Also seeing as Joanie is the age her mother was when she died, it's the 2050s, and of course the ecological angle is being examined. Didn't think the futuristic stuff would work but starting to like it.

The rest of the episode fell flat for me though. Good bit of tedious filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its kind of funny how the actor is trying to be like Noah and thats why he wanted Helen to call over.

The show feels like it has jumped the shark... when it compared to the first season the whole show just seems a bit ridiculous ?

The show feels like it has jumped the shark... when it compared to the first season the whole show just seems a bit ridiculous ?

It does, but that's true of most TV shows. It's hard to keep a grounded drama going for multiple seasons without digging into the far-fetched well. It's why I like a lot of UK mini-series, something like The Virtues for example was exceptionally good and realistic drama neatly wrapped up in a one-and-done. The Affair would've been a better once-off also, though I still enjoy it.

That happened long ago! Total silliness now - Dallas thinking it's deep - but it's addictive imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Caught a bit of the second episode on tv late last night. For the first time ever with this show, I fast forwarded through a lot of it.

They’re having dedicated stories for Janelle now?? The bit I saw was her experiencing lots of racial micro-aggressions at Vik’s funeral. It just seems like a lazy attempt to shoehorn in this type of Relevant Issue by the writers. The final season of a show like this is not, in my opinion, the right time to start developing a dedicated storyline for a secondary character. This is just Juliette all over again.

Then I watched some of Helen’s bit, she’s a great character and Maura Tierney is fantastic. But then I was watching Joanie, 30 years into the future?? Give me strength. How did the writers ever think this was a good idea? Ok, I didn’t watch that much of that part, but I can’t see any iteration of that which interests me.

Like another poster said, it’s ridiculously far from what it was about in season 1, and I think I’m done. Really miss Ruth Wilson and Joshua Jackson too.

*edit* also showing up in black to a funeral where everyone was wearing white was super lazy symbolism...

The most recent episode was really great. Amazing cinematography. Scene with Noah and Sasha in the bathroom was superb.

Also is it just me, or is the guy playing Sasha ridiculously handsome?

I personally don't see it but he must be as he's being swooned over big time.

God all mighty Helen's mother - the most awful individual in the show I'd say. Brilliant actress.
    Shelga wrote: »
    Caught a bit of the second episode on tv late last night. For the first time ever with this show, I fast forwarded through a lot of it.

They’re having dedicated stories for Janelle now?? The bit I saw was her experiencing lots of racial micro-aggressions at Vik’s funeral. It just seems like a lazy attempt to shoehorn in this type of Relevant Issue by the writers. The final season of a show like this is not, in my opinion, the right time to start developing a dedicated storyline for a secondary character. This is just Juliette all over again.

Then I watched some of Helen’s bit, she’s a great character and Maura Tierney is fantastic. But then I was watching Joanie, 30 years into the future?? Give me strength. How did the writers ever think this was a good idea? Ok, I didn’t watch that much of that part, but I can’t see any iteration of that which interests me.

Like another poster said, it’s ridiculously far from what it was about in season 1, and I think I’m done. Really miss Ruth Wilson and Joshua Jackson too

*edit* also showing up in black to a funeral where everyone was wearing white was super lazy symbolism...
    Yeah noticed that too :) but otherwise i actually thought they did a good job of the racial aspect. It would have been lame if they did so as soon as she started dating Noah - I thought they timed it well. I think she's more of a developed, interesting character than Juliette (the show's Poochie as someone said to me recently :D).

I didnt even bother to watch the Joanie part...did I miss anything?

The Janelle story line is there because they wouldn't pay Ruth Wilson wage demands......

The Janelle story line is there because they wouldn't pay Ruth Wilson wage demands......

But even still - they could have saved the money.

The latest episode was fantastic from the point of view that it was so satisfying as a viewer to see Noah get a taste of his own medicine. I'm generally not one for karma or revenge but this was delightful

I don't think Noah is that bad :o Helen has easily forgotten that he went to prison for her.

He's jealous all right of Sasha, but he also seems to think that Sasha is genuinely dodgy.

Janelle was introduced as the school's principal and the politics she had to deal with, and her relationship with her son. I don't think she's that one dimensional. I like her. The actor who plays her husband is excellent.

• Advertisement

I forgot Noah went to jail ! He deserves more respect !!!
    Also....... was the English actor doing heroin ? I have never heard of someone shooting up vitamin B in toilets on a night out...,,

Advertisement