Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It looks better than the 3rd season

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This came back on June 17th. Anyone watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'm watching!
    I thought the first episode looked promising, after that it got a bit predictable. I don't really care about the fate of random high school or what students I've never known and have never been part of the narrative think of Animal Farm. I hope they hurry up and get back on track with the more personal stuff. They've more than enough grit without adding new randomers to the mix

Also I groaned when
    Noah kissed the principle, that was way too obvious. Also virtually the same as his tryst with last years visiting lecture

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Not really enjoying this season so far. It's been on a downward spiral since the end of season 2 I think.
    Really struggling to like any of the characters, esp Helen and Noah. Hope episode 4 will raise the game a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm two episodes in and very disappointed with it.

It's an entirely different show to the first two seasons now and is rapidly turning into a soap.

Full of filler and irrelevant plot lines. Doubt I'll stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’ve watched the first couple of episodes. It’s so far from what it was. Everyone involved should have accepted that it needed to end after season 2. Season 3 was awful. At least the French woman seems to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Shelga wrote: »
    I’ve watched the first couple of episodes. It’s so far from what it was. Everyone involved should have accepted that it needed to end after season 2. Season 3 was awful. At least the French woman seems to have disappeared.

The third season was woeful. Actual forgot the French woman in it. Just finished the third episode of 4th season. This is on a highway to nowhere. Victors mother is woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 85,887 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Showtime has renewed for a fifth final season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

*Spoilers ahead!*

Whoa, that was as good an episode of The Affair than I've seen since Season one. What a gut punch - almost hit me as hard as Will's death in TGW.

So, suicide? Doubtful. Looks like we'll get an episode from Allison's point of view next week, so hopefully we'll get some idea of how she died. I reckon Ben's been set up as the obvious red herring, more likely it was someone like Luisa or her creepy father's trophy wife.

Will be an interesting journey from here without one of the main players involved. Also, poor Cole :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This season started off like the last one finished off....terrible....but over the last couple of episodes its gotten very good. Episode 8 was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I thought it was absolute junk this season and the last episode was just a tired and dull attempt to keep the ball rolling. They did what every useless writer does, when you can't write any meaningful dialogue, slap an old "whodunnit" into the void. It might seem brave or a curveball but it's actually right out of the Coronation Street/ Emmerdale playbook.

They've stacked it with so many bit characters that you can't care about this season, the boy going to Princeton. the school principal, Helen's neighbour and her wacky moon meeting friends. Very little served to illuminate any aspect of the core characters. It was like going to visit a good friend for a serious chat only to be interrupted every two minutes by their distant relations wandering aimlessly in and out talking about the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Episode 8 was excellent. I’m back on board

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Episode 8 was excellent. I’m back on board

Wait until Episode 9 -
    trying to decide which Allison I want to believe

Spoilers on this link:
    https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/the-affair-alison-ben-season-4-episode-9-spoilers-showtime-1201993486/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ruth Wilson's 'not allowed' to talk about the details of why she left. Whatever that's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

She apparently said that she was getting paid less than Dominic West, but from reading the pretty threadbare articles, it doesn't seem like she had any solid evidence and was speculating. If it is the case, perhaps it is because he was able to command a higher fee due to being in The Wire, a global success, and with the tag of "classic" already. Also, didn't he have more screen time between the two of them overall for the four seasons? I mean, if someone were to ask me who is the main character (not characters but just character) in The Affair, it's clearly Noah.

Anyway, I don't know what to make of this show now! I thought season one was sublime, and most of season two - ditto... however then, even before season three, it started veering into trashy melodramatic soap opera territory for me. Not that I missed a beat though - still found it irresistible. :)

Season four was a mixed bag in my opinion - some of it as good as the early episodes, but some of it as silly as season three. It was even getting kinda meta/self referential in places when Cole correctly speculated that Noah has been having sex with Anton's mother, and Helen listed to Noah the crazy **** that's been happening with her relationship and that neighbour girl.

In the Ben/Alison part, it's got to be Alison's version that's the accurate one, given how it ends. Ben, with his PTSD, is probably divorced from reality, and creating stories for himself to paper over awful things he does.

A huge flaw for me is the way the Scotty incident has just been left to fizzle out. It has been virtually unmentioned since Noah got out of prison, and it doesn't seem realistic that Helen would just forget about the sacrifice Noah made for her.

Bit of a mess really, but I'll be glued to the final season still.

Joshua Jackson departing the final season (:() and Anna Paquin joining as his and Alison's grown up daughter, Joanie. Apparantly this season will 'time jump' 20 years into the future!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6373063/Anna-Paquin-joins-Affairs-final-season-adult-daughter-Alison-Cole.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Joshua Jackson departing the final season (:() and Anna Paquin joining as his and Alison's grown up daughter, Joanie. Apparantly this season will 'time jump' 20 years into the future!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6373063/Anna-Paquin-joins-Affairs-final-season-adult-daughter-Alison-Cole.html

I don't know if I would be interested in a time jump. Not gonna lie and say I won't bother watching, because I know I will, but that could either be really good or really bad!

neonsofa wrote: »
    I don't know if I would be interested in a time jump. Not gonna lie and say I won't bother watching, because I know I will, but that could either be really good or really bad!

Yeah I reckon losing Cole and Allison will really divide fans. They were the two most popular characters I would say.

The time jump thing - jury's out. It didn't seem to hurt Desperate Housewives too badly, but without two of the main characters, I just can't see it holding fans interest unless the new storyline really captivates. Be interesting to see how Helen and Noah look 20 years on, though... :p

Cole will definitely impact numbers but then again its always been about noah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

20 years time jump is heading to science fiction type territory. Will there be flying cars and Cylon slaves??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone know where you can watch season 4 online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just finished season 4 after an all-day binge. As someone who thought S3 stunk, and almost stopped me from even attempting S4, I really enjoyed this season - almost as much as the first excellent season. It's overdone in spots but it's really good stuff with super performances and genuinely upsetting at so many points.
    In the Ben/Alison part, it's got to be Alison's version that's the accurate one, given how it ends. Ben, with his PTSD, is probably divorced from reality, and creating stories for himself to paper over awful things he does.

I think the whole point of the A and B sides of any given incident is that the truth lies somewhere in between and there's never a definitive correct recollection given. So I don't think Ben actually did it, it was more simply metaphorical - like the term 'giving someone the rope to hang themselves with', Ben was the catalyst for Alison's death but not directly responsible. You can see it when she's 'thrown' into the water, she's so tired of life and doesn't even fight it, so I think she genuinely did kill herself and the feeling of being used by, and betrayed by, Ben at the expense of his unsuspecting wife was just the tipping point.
    A huge flaw for me is the way the Scotty incident has just been left to fizzle out. It has been virtually unmentioned since Noah got out of prison, and it doesn't seem realistic that Helen would just forget about the sacrifice Noah made for her.

This I completely agree with. It's like it never happened at this point and not only does it go unmentioned between Noah and Helen, even if you wanted to write that off as an unspoken understanding, it seems to have startlingly little effect on Noah's life, or public perception/reception to him either, which is absurdly unrealistic.

Overall though, it was a great season.

Saw a clip of the upcoming season - several years into the future, Alison and Cole's daughter grown up and getting it on with Vik (miraculous recovery from terminal cancer). It has reached full blown trash status... :mad:

... and I won't miss a beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Link? Can't find it anywhere

Just the ad on Sky. It's for a bunch of things (Big Little Lies is another one featured) and it's a very quick glimpse - had to pause it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I sincerely hope that is misdirection, that sounds way too out there.

Nothing on Sky Atlantic's or Showtime's Twitter at the moment, or Youtube re a general season 5 thing or 5x01 promo. Don't think the air date's been announced, though.

Is this an early April fools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

Saw a clip of the upcoming season - several years into the future, Alison and Cole's daughter grown up and getting it on with Vik (miraculous recovery from terminal cancer). It has reached full blown trash status... :mad:

Are you sure it was Vik? If their grown up daughter is being played by Anna Paquin, that would mean a time jump of around 30 years. Vik would be in his 70s. Maybe he just looked like Vik.

Advertisement