Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Affair [Showtime]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

American audiences seemed to hate it. The AV club review and comments are crapping all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Well that's obviously the writers' intention but none of the protagonists are coming out of it well. The closer the story sticks to the characters' POV the more their dubious actions are mitigated but the more we see them through the others' eyes the more selfish they become.

Intetestingly, as Helen slips further from the role of saintly mom the more likable she becomes.

I was just thinking about this, that it seems to me that all the men in the show are depicted as being Assholes, I think the only guy that might be genuinely nice is Noah's rich friend Mark. I think if he loved someone and was in relationship with them, he would really treat them right. Is the show written by someone who hates men????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

American audiences seemed to hate it. The AV club review and comments are crapping all over it.

Noticed that alright. Think those tweeting Sarah Treem (showrunner) were more positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fin12 wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this, that it seems to me that all the men in the show are depicted as being Assholes, I think the only guy that might be genuinely nice is Noah's rich friend Mark. I think if he loved someone and was in relationship with them, he would really treat them right. Is the show written by someone who hates men????

Not sure. I don't really pay attention to the writing credits. Going by Wiki, Eric Overmyer is the only name I recognise, he doesn't seem to be involved in season 2. But sticking with the AV Club theme, someone in the comments section of 2.08 pointed to a NY Times interview with Sarah Treem where she defends Noah. Some aren't too happy about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Those Lockhart family get-togethers are always guaranteed to be high-tension events. Wow.

I don't think Cole, or the husband of that weapon whom Alison worked for for a bit, are depicted as assholes. Cole's brothers apart from Scottie seem ok. Ditto the police detective. Ok he's a bit duplicitous but that goes with his profession.

I find Helen quite likeable too - Maura Tierney is fantastic in that role, better than Ruth Wilson as Alison, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Does anyone else think that Noah is the biggest Asshole ever and just seems to be getting worse and worse in each episode.
    Absolutely. He possibly always has been only it was less noticeable as the people around him were worse than him, ie Helens parents (both apart and together) and maybe Helen herself to some degree (though I won't have a word said against Maura Tierney). :-) and his kids (they are troubled i know) and that pain in the butt friend of his!

Aimeee wrote: »
    Absolutely. He possibly always has been only it was less noticeable as the people around him were worse than him, ie Helens parents (both apart and together) and maybe Helen herself to some degree (though I won't have a word said against Maura Tierney). :-) and his kids (they are troubled i know) and that pain in the butt friend of his!

I actually like his friend, he seems like a decent enough guy and is very generous with his friends, and now that Noah is sucessful wants f*ck all to do with him, like he gave Noah 50 grand and the bollocks probably wont even pay him back. The success is really going to his head. He is such a creep as well when he was walking around the pool at the party......

Yes maybe i was a bit harsh on the friend. He's generous yes. Did he actually give the $50,000? He was sleeping with Helen at the time so I think he offered it to speed up the whole separation/get Noah off the scene aas quick as possible.
    I'm a few episodes behind I think so maybe he's improving as Noah gets worse. I thought he was trying to save the thanksgiving dinner disaster for Alisons sake, which was kind.
    Watching it last night, i was quite surprised at myself. Wondering how I'd never noticed Noah was such an unlikable person before now. I think thats the plan of the series though, we fall for him the way Alison did & now she's beginning to realise the reality as are we.

Load up on confessions and bring your friends...um, Captain America and a Bradley tank?

• Advertisement

How many episodes are there in season 2? Have watched up to episode 9.

Crikey, the publicist... Noah... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

How many episodes are there in season 2? Have watched up to episode 9.

According to here 12 ep in total, have been watching it on sky OD, up to ep 8, next wk i see that there's a double bill & probably the following week to finish a few days after US.

It looks like it could go to 4 seasons, after getting renewed for S03, so the story can get 4 sides? if that was the plan?

Think the episode tonight on Sky Atlantic was 7. There are 12 episodes in Season 2.

It looks like it could go to 4 seasons, after getting renewed for S03, so the story can get 4 sides? if that was the plan?

Season 3 - prosecution
    Season 4 - defence
    Season 5 - Noah writes his third novel, Asshole
    Season 6 - Cole shaves his beard

I found episode 10 pretty boring, a whole 30 minutes of Noah just talking in a counselling session. I think he is like a sex addict as well, Also feel like Alison regrets leaving Cole, she seemed pretty sad when Cole told her he was getting married and how he has moved to the city.

Season 3 - prosecution
    Season 4 - defence
    Season 5 - Noah writes his third novel, Asshole
    Season 6 - Cole shaves his beard

That's so funny his third novel Asshole:):) He has plenty of material for that book anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Another cracker of an episode this week.
    Noah's sure being served some home truths

Did they name drop Waterford Crystal? G'wan. :pac:

Because nothing symbolises fractured relationships like broken glass, eh?

I think Max is a really nice guy. He's some horrible b*stard Noah to say that to Max that he's basically nothing without his money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

According to here 12 ep in total, have been watching it on sky OD, up to ep 8, next wk i see that there's a double bill & probably the following week to finish a few days after US.

I read somewhere (cannot remember now for the life me where) that it has a 3 season story arc.

I've only just discovered this programme and I love it. I downloaded the first season on Demand and as far as Episode 8 in Season 2. I binge watched it over the last few days and think its great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Noah's a prick masquerading as Mr. Nice. Max is a decent skin who lets people think he's a wanker.

I read somewhere (cannot remember now for the life me where) that it has a 3 season story arc.

I've only just discovered this programme and I love it. I downloaded the first season on Demand and as far as Episode 8 in Season 2. I binge watched it over the last few days and think its great.

Ya that happened to me with the first season, think I watched it all in two days, was so good.

I'm watching the storm episode at the moment. That bit in the swimming-pool... wow.
    Some of the most intense television I have ever seen - thought nothing could equal The Leftovers a few weeks ago, but... think I have just encountered a tie-break. :eek:

Just watched that episode too. Was totally immersed in the whole thing. Haven't been that engrossed in a tv show for a long time. Have ep 9 on plus but had to stop myself watching it as will be wrecked tomorrow!

Aimeee wrote: »
    Just watched that episode too. Was totally immersed in the whole thing. Haven't been that engrossed in a tv show for a long time. Have ep 9 on plus but had to stop myself watching it as will be wrecked tomorrow!
    More toned down but excellent too! Up to tonight, while I was really enjoying season 2, I thought season 1 overall was better - but they're now on a par with each other IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Right, so McNulty knows his bird is almost due to give birth and his mobile goes off in the car but he can't find it so he goes "Erra shag it, it's probably nothing" and goes off to get pissed, snort some coke and do a bit of skinny-dipping. Very McNulty-ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

lukin wrote: »
    Right, so McNulty knows his bird is almost due to give birth and his mobile goes off in the car but he can't find it so he goes "Erra shag it, it's probably nothing" and goes off to get pissed, snort some coke and do a bit of skinny-dipping. Very McNulty-ish!

Not really, she said she wasn't due for 5 weeks, and it was in his absence that she started getting contractions

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not really, she said she wasn't due for 5 weeks, and it was in his absence that she started getting contractions

ya but anyone who's partner is heavily pregnant, I'm sure would keep their phone on and with them at all times, because you just dont know....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭lukin

Mc Love wrote: »

I only dip in and out of it so I didn't know that. Still fairly irresponsible and not something a normal person would do.

Advertisement