Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm not sure anymore, it's reducing my craving for more buritto's, which is a bad thing.....
    Might take a stroll down tomorrow and see if its any good though. I'd never live with myself if i never even ate there once

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

Glad to see Sabburritos expanding.
    Their Epicurean branch have the best burritos in Dublin. I love how they grill after folding, so it's just a little crispy.

Burritos and Blues is always reliable.

Boojum has great ingredients, but not usually very happy with how it's put together.

Been to the Pablo Picantes in Temple Bar a few times. Seriously, horrible, horrible burritos.
    I keep going back, thinking maybe I've just had bad experiences, since other people seem to like them, but no, I'm done with them, now. Not tried the other branches, so I'll give them a chance.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pablos on average is the best of the ones I've tried. Narrowly ahead of Burritos & Blues. I go to the B&B in the IFSC once or twice a week as I work there and it is solid and reliable. Just don't get (cold) lettuce in it. It shouldn't even be an option, it's not a sandwich shop ffs.

I tried Burritos and Orange once and it was pretty strange. I wanted to like it as it was cheaper than the rest and the staff were really friendly but it was very sloppy, and the pork marinade didn't combine well with the rest of the burrito.

Tried Mamas Revenge recently for the first time and while it earned plus point for having chorizo on the menu, friendly staff and good quality ingredients, it was absolutely stone cold.

My flatmate loves Tolteca; I've had a bowl once there which was alright and a burrito once. When we got the burrito, the staff were new and had no clue what they were doing, they weren't able to roll it up properly and it was almost completely cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

My old office was just up the street from Pablo's on Baggot Street. We moved office there last week and are very close to Little Ass on Dawson Street. We all piled in there on the first day and the vast majority of us were left disappointed. While possibly made with better quality ingredients it just lacked flavour and was very disappointing. I can't see myself heading back there any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

We all piled in there on the first day and the vast majority of us were left disappointed. While possibly made with better quality ingredients it just lacked flavour and was very disappointing. I can't see myself heading back there any time soon.

The Little Ass Burrito bar does seem to have very good quality ingredients and any Burrito that I have gotten in there has been very good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I really hope Boojum opens at least one other place in Dublin - one around the South William St/Grafton St area would do well as would one in Rathmines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Tried Pablo Picante recently as I'd heard lots about it... Didn't like it at all!

Twee. wrote: »
    Tried Pablo Picante recently as I'd heard lots about it... Didn't like it at all!

Which restaurant did you try? They seem to differ slightly in quality. The one on Baggot st. being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Went to Boojum's on Saturday. One of the guys serving gave one of our party some special hot sauce that he kept behind the counter.

It was like it had been siphoned from the heart of the sun. I like my hot food but I've never before seen a meal literally reduce someone to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Passenger wrote: »
    Which restaurant did you try? They seem to differ slightly in quality. The one on Baggot st. being the best.

Thats the only one I've tried and it was no more than decent
    Beefy78 wrote: »
    Went to Boojum's on Saturday. One of the guys serving gave one of our party some special hot sauce that he kept behind the counter.

It was like it had been siphoned from the heart of the sun. I like my hot food but I've never before seen a meal literally reduce someone to tears.

I've had that. Pretty damn hot alright. Tasty though. Not just heat for the sake of it IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Was in Burritos and Blues in IFSC today, and now they've start weighing the amount of chicken they give you!
    Couldn't believe it, and ended up with a smaller amount in the burrito compared to normal.
    Still costs the same, just less in it now. Won't be back anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

B&B
    they've start weighing the amount of chicken they give you!

For shame! Even the ubiquitous and decent Chipotle chain in the U.S. (also in London) doesn't resort to a fast food experience. If you want your food in exact portion size, go to McDonalds.

Regardless I cannot understand why they do not offer real (whole) black or pinto beans in addition to their refried (?) utterly unappetizing looking bean choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Honestly- if you like Burritos and Blues- you know nothing about food. Their take on a "burrito" reminds me of the type of stuff they used to give us on taco day at primary school in the US. bleh

Might have to give it another shot! I went to the one off Clarendon Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I've tried them a couple of times, the one in Baggot St most often, I keep trying since everyone loves them. But there is always something wrong - they get the order wrong, or the rice is watery and leaking, burrito very small... I must be very unfortunate but they just can't win me over!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Pablo's is notorious for mixing up orders.
    I've been there about 30-40 times, always with 2 others and never had an order mixed up between all of us.
    Only problem I've had is what mhge said, the odd time it's too wet. They don't drain the beans properly and throw them in with water. Makes it really messy.
    Only ever been to Baggott street one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

drquirky wrote: »
    Honestly- if you like Burritos and Blues- you know nothing about food. Their take on a "burrito" reminds me of the type of stuff they used to give us on taco day at primary school in the US. bleh
    If you like it, you like it! You can't be told what you like more. Some people have different tastes!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've only tried 3 of the burrito places in town. Boojum, Pablo Picante (Lower Baggot St) and Tolteca.

Tolteca for me wins on taste. They do a €7.50 lunch deal of a burrito/fajita and a drink so that's pretty good. They're a little stingier on the fillings than the other two though, but it's a handy place to go for lunch as there are seats.

Pablo's pork is gorgeous, but their burritos are the messiest! They have too much liquid (maybe the salsa/beans are too watery?) so they fall apart at the end. I hate bringing burritos back to work (I don't want my colleagues to see me with burrito all over my face :o) and they've only two crappy seats so it's not ideal. Pricey too unless you've student ID.

Boojum do great big monster burritos and they're great at making them there, they're not afraid to thrown in heaps of fillings. Great place to go on a Sunday afternoon as there are plenty of seats and you can have a €3 beer as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buzybee

Just moved to Dublin from NYC couple of weeks ago and of course went on a hunt for a good burrito. Googled a bit, came across this thread. To be honest, it sounds like some people on here don't know their burrito from their elbow. And what a vast difference of opinion! some hate Pablo but love B&B and the other way around... Looks like there are 3 big boys in the running. I went to 2 so far:

Burritos & Blues suck. Meats are greasy, salsa comes out of a bottle, guac looks unfit to eat. Nothing fresh about the place. "Chipotle Grill"take on - gone horribly wrong...

Pablo Picante is average and bland.

I am yet to try your upmost winner - Boojum... Please don't disappoint me!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Pablo's super picante El Classico is my go-to 'rrito

• Advertisement

buzybee wrote: »
    Just moved to Dublin from NYC couple of weeks ago and of course went on a hunt for a good burrito. Googled a bit, came across this thread. To be honest, it sounds like some people on here don't know their burrito from their elbow. And what a vast difference of opinion! some hate Pablo but love B&B and the other way around... Looks like there are 3 big boys in the running. I went to 2 so far:

Burritos & Blues suck. Meats are greasy, salsa comes out of a bottle, guac looks unfit to eat. Nothing fresh about the place. "Chipotle Grill"take on - gone horribly wrong...

Pablo Picante is average and bland.

I am yet to try your upmost winner - Boojum... Please don't disappoint me!

Please stop bad-mouthing my lovely irish burrito's..... i love them all, even the bad ones.:p

New Mexican restaurant called Tuzo just opened today on Dawson St. I went inside at lunch time and it was very clean, spacious, and the staff were very friendly but I just wasn't in the mood for Mexican food today.

Gonna go in tomorrow or during the week and have a proper gander and sample their menu.

Will report back when I do so. :)

Tried the new chorizo filling from Boojum. I did not like it! Seemed verrrry salty, I was parched the rest of the day at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

buzybee, try Sabburitos as well. They're, by far, the best I've had in Dublin.

Ok, I've just been to Tuzo on Dawson st. and ordered a Pork Burrito. Have to say it was not great. The pork was very tough and chewy, the flour tortilla was also chewy and the veg and rice were just fine. They didn't tickle the taste buds. The foil that was wrapping the burrito was covered in sour cream thus making this culinary experience unnecessarily messy. Overall quite a flavourless burrito.

As for the service, it was very good. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the restaurant was extremely clean with a cleaner constantly perambulating the tables wiping any innocuous bit of dirt or grain of spilled rice.

I'm still curious to see what the rest of the menu tastes like but I'm not immediately enamored with the food there.

Ok, I've just been to Tuzo on Dawson st. and ordered a Pork Burrito. Have to say it was not great. The pork was very tough and chewy, the flour tortilla was also chewy and the veg and rice were just fine. They didn't tickle the taste buds. The foil that was wrapping the burrito was covered in sour cream thus making this culinary experience unnecessarily messy. Overall quite a flavourless burrito.

As for the service, it was very good. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the restaurant was extremely clean with a cleaner constantly perambulating the tables wiping any innocuous bit of dirt or grain of spilled rice.

I'm still curious to see what the rest of the menu tastes like but I'm not immediately enamored with the food there.

Thanks for that Passenger.

I'd be of the opinion that if they can't do a decent pork burrito then they're not going to win me over with chicken.
    Disapppointing but thanks for the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Has to be Boojum or Saburrito in Epecurian food hall, so nice, the chicken one in Saburrito is amazing :) really big portions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I'm starting to realize that if you want a quality/spicy/tasty/authentic burrito you have to travel to California. For some reason it doesn't travel well, but certainly for different reasons than Guinness. I agree with buzybee above that B&B is far from the mark. The other options in Dublin are decent or good enough but not awesome (I prefer awesome), and sometimes the result varies from visit to visit which is frustrating.

The same goes for pizza or bagels which for me are only the real deal when I'm in NYC. Don't get me started on that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Common theme for me would be that any of the Americans (i.e. anyone who knows anything about burritos) thinks that Burritos and Blues is completely terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

drquirky wrote: »
    Common theme for me would be that any of the Americans (i.e. anyone who knows anything about burritos) thinks that Burritos and Blues is completely terrible.

Big time.

Mind you Burrito and Blues is owned by an American lady as for as I know.

Advertisement