Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Burrito Place in Town [Poll Updated]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

drquirky wrote: »
    Common theme for me would be that any of the Americans (i.e. anyone who knows anything about burritos) thinks that Burritos and Blues is completely terrible.

Dunno, I have an American friend from Texas and it's his regular haunt.

I really see no practical difference between B&B and Boojum but then I'm a vegetarian so they can't win me over with meat. Actually B&B have more veg toppings so that's a plus. Pablo Picante and Tolteca have slightly different styles and Saburritos/Cafe Azteca have their own more cooked style, but the first two are so similar to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buzybee

PauloConn wrote: »
    Please stop bad-mouthing my lovely irish burrito's..... i love them all, even the bad ones.:p

Dear PauloConn, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings about Irish burritos so deeply, my apologies with kind heart :-).

I am happy to report, that last night I discovered an absolute gem of a burrito place - called Mamma's Revenge. It's on corner of Thomas street and Francis street.

Was queing at the Jaw screening at Tivoli theater and we saw this cosy, most welcoming place on the street. turned out to be really cool tex-mex with better menu that most burrito places have to offer. They've run out of rice after our order, though managed it really well, offering quesadillas and nachos instead, until rice was cooked... God bless them. Place only opened 2 days (biker looking dude, with tattoos at the till) told us:) Reminded me of the much loved 10th ave burrito NJ!!!!

Over all: cant fault this one. Very clean. Friendly, but not 'in your face'. Food is superb! Had a chorizo burito and mate had a chick quesadilla. AWESOME! We picked up loyalty cards on the way out. Cos we are coming back...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 buzybee

buzybee, try Sabburitos as well. They're, by far, the best I've had in Dublin.

On my list, buddy! I don't know If I can stomach so many burritos in one week though... still Boojum to sample and the new one on dawson str. LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

mhge wrote: »
    Dunno, I have an American friend from Texas and it's his regular haunt.

I really see no practical difference between B&B and Boojum but then I'm a vegetarian so they can't win me over with meat. Actually B&B have more veg toppings so that's a plus. Pablo Picante and Tolteca have slightly different styles and Saburritos/Cafe Azteca have their own more cooked style, but the first two are so similar to me.

Ummmm- don't even know where to start. Canned salsa, chemical looking guacamole and no option of proper beans at B and B while Boojum has fresh salsa, guacamole w/ actual avocados in it and the choice of black or pinto beans.Not even close. TBH most vegetarians I know aren't really that into food anyway so meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm not being funny but what does someone else's opinion matter (even Americans!). Either YOU find it tasty, or you don't. It migtn't be up to Mexican standards but if you like it, who cares?

Its food. There's no right or wrong, there's just taste

• Advertisement

Ummmm- don't even know where to start. Canned salsa, chemical looking guacamole and no option of proper beans at B and B while Boojum has fresh salsa, guacamole w/ actual avocados in it and the choice of black or pinto beans.Not even close. TBH most vegetarians I know aren't really that into food anyway so meh.

Hmm there are definitely avocados in their guac (what else? avocados go black if not fresh, it's easy to see), they have both black & pinto, and while salsa sauces come from bottles as opposed to catering containers elsewhere (doesn't mean that they were bought though, just put into their own bottles, they look homemade to me), their chopped veg salsas are fresh. Still don't see that much difference?
    Boojums rice is completely tasteless though and they slap a lot of this slop into a veg burrito.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

mhge wrote: »
    Hmm there are definitely avocados in their guac (what else? avocados go black if not fresh, it's easy to see), they have both black & pinto, and while salsa sauces come from bottles as opposed to catering containers elsewhere (doesn't mean that they were bought though, just put into their own bottles, they look homemade to me), their chopped veg salsas are fresh. Still don't see that much difference?
    Boojums rice is completely tasteless though and they slap a lot of this slop into a veg burrito.

Boojum have two different flavours of rice, the lime one is delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 panch

Don't know where to start with this! Not a regular poster here but I go to BB's weekly and know David that owns it. Hes not american, he is an Irish guy.
    TRUST me, NOTHING is tinned in there. If your in there ask the staff can you see the avocados, fresh veg etc. Their beans, pinto and black,are COOKED like other fresh places just mashed after. Again ask the staff to show you the raw beans!

Salsa similarity are not canned! All made using a tinned tomato base but cooked with other ingredients, like most restaurants!

Don't tar a place with an opinion like that in a time that all food businesses are under stress. They employ people, serve fresh food differently to others, and unless you actually know their products don't suggest they do different.

Rant over

I agree, it feels like drquirky is describing some different place altogether. BB stuff looks made fresh; you could argue whether refried beans should be mashed or not (I understand that traditionally they are) or whether sauteed peppers/onions are not too raw (they are for me) but that's all. They have several strengths of red salsa and chopped veg salsas to boot; that's their big advantage for me.

Actually burritos are very good for vegetarians if made right. Some places will just slap in some rice, bean and cheese for a bland fastfoodish burrito; others will have a choice of salsas, grilled veg, jalapenos, tortilla flavours and such. I appreciate the latter but not every place makes the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

buzybee wrote: »
    Dear PauloConn, I didnt mean to hurt your feelings about Irish burritos so deeply, my apologies with kind heart :-).

I am happy to report, that last night I discovered an absolute gem of a burrito place - called Mamma's Revenge. It's on corner of Thomas street and Francis street.

Was queing at the Jaw screening at Tivoli theater and we saw this cosy, most welcoming place on the street. turned out to be really cool tex-mex with better menu that most burrito places have to offer. They've run out of rice after our order, though managed it really well, offering quesadillas and nachos instead, until rice was cooked... God bless them. Place only opened 2 days (biker looking dude, with tattoos at the till) told us:) Reminded me of the much loved 10th ave burrito NJ!!!!

Over all: cant fault this one. Very clean. Friendly, but not 'in your face'. Food is superb! Had a chorizo burito and mate had a chick quesadilla. AWESOME! We picked up loyalty cards on the way out. Cos we are coming back...!!!

It's ok, we're all on the same team here. Must try that place out although the Mamma's Revenge on NAssau Street was getting mauled earlier on. But Could have promise.

Was in new Saburrito today on Talbot Street, not pulled pork??? But had the pulled beef and the smoked chipotle salsa and was very happy with it, good flavour. Not sure if its up to Boojum standard but was defo a bigger menu than the one in the epicurian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

panch wrote: »
    Don't know where to start with this! Not a regular poster here but I go to BB's weekly and know David that owns it. Hes not american, he is an Irish guy.
    TRUST me, NOTHING is tinned in there. If your in there ask the staff can you see the avocados, fresh veg etc. Their beans, pinto and black,are COOKED like other fresh places just mashed after. Again ask the staff to show you the raw beans!

Salsa similarity are not canned! All made using a tinned tomato base but cooked with other ingredients, like most restaurants!

Don't tar a place with an opinion like that in a time that all food businesses are under stress. They employ people, serve fresh food differently to others, and unless you actually know their products don't suggest they do different.

Rant over

Pretty awesome that you have 17 posts and every single one of them is about Burritos and Blues....conflict of interest anyone. Look I have nothing against the place its just a standard Irish attempt at a Burrito- kind of like a four star pizza fast food kind of deal. I just have a lot more respect for the places that have obviously tried the style (i.e. Mission style)and attempt something resembling that - I don't wish B and B any ill will I would just steer people towards more authentic examples of a burrito

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I'm not sure if it warrants moving this to the conspiracy theory forum but it is a good point from drquirky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Anyone tried Mama's Revenge on Thomas St? Worth a nibble?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I tried B&B veggie burrito last week. It was decent. For veggie ones anyway it's much of a muchness between B&B and Boojum. Way more space to sit in B&B too if that's a consideration. I was never impressed with Pablo Picante's at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Look I have nothing against the place its just a standard Irish attempt at a Burrito- kind of like a four star pizza fast food kind of deal. I just have a lot more respect for the places that have obviously tried the style (i.e. Mission style)and attempt something resembling that

But why? I don't see how respect comes into it.

These places are doing Irish riffs on a Californian burrito, which itself is a riff on the Mexican dish. There's nothing wrong with that.

Indian restaurants don't serve food like you'd get in India - they sell an Anglo-Irish interpretation of the food.

You want an America burrito then you may have to go to America to get that.

Went to Mama's Revenge on Nassau Street yesterday. Got 'regular' beef burrito. Wasn't really spicy. Rice was plain too. No options for hot sauces. Left still hungry. They did a jumbo version for €8 but I assumed the regular would still be an OK size

Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Went to Boojum the other night for a pork fajitas on brown wrap.

6/10.

Actually surprised how mediocre it was ;-(

Tolteca on a good night cant be beat imo (yet ;-))

cgarrad wrote: »

Tolteca on a good night cant be beat imo (yet ;-))

Tolteca is opening in Suffolk St, not sure if it was mentioned here?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dodge wrote: »
    Went to Mama's Revenge on Nassau Street yesterday. Got 'regular' beef burrito. Wasn't really spicy. Rice was plain too. No options for hot sauces. Left still hungry. They did a jumbo version for €8 but I assumed the regular would still be an OK size

Disappointing
    Gonna try Mama's Revenge on Thomas St this evening. If it's not spicy i will be el gringo loco.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

I had a burrito in the new place on Dawson street today, tuzo, wasn't very nice. Guacamole was really cold and the rice tasted like boil in the bag stuff. Their salsa was decent though. The staff were nice and the lay out and decor is cool but the food itself was a big let down.

I still think boojum is the best burrito in Dublin, run close by Cafe Azteca. Little Ass is decent too. I tried Tolteca a few months ago after reading this thread and thought it was only ok, wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, same with Pablo Picante.

I've tried B and B a few times and thought it was poor, the beans they use aren't nice and the guacamole was also too cold and ruined the burrito.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Does anyone know where you can buy a jar of the garlic and chilli hot sauce they have on the tables in Burritos and Blues?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Does anyone know where you can buy a jar of the garlic and chilli hot sauce they have on the tables in Burritos and Blues?

The sell some Mexican brands of hot sauces in Cafe Azteca on Dame Street. They might have the one your looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Moghead wrote: »
    I had a burrito in the new place on Dawson street today, tuzo, wasn't very nice. Guacamole was really cold and the rice tasted like boil in the bag stuff. Their salsa was decent though. The staff were nice and the lay out and decor is cool but the food itself was a big let down.

I still think boojum is the best burrito in Dublin, run close by Cafe Azteca. Little Ass is decent too. I tried Tolteca a few months ago after reading this thread and thought it was only ok, wouldn't go out of my way to eat there, same with Pablo Picante.

I've tried B and B a few times and thought it was poor, the beans they use aren't nice and the guacamole was also too cold and ruined the burrito.

Had a burrito bowl in there on Thursday, was lovely, guac was definitely fresh, didn't find it overly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As for authentic, I couldn't care less which place was more authentic, I want a place that tastes the best!
    PauloConn wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it warrants moving this to the conspiracy theory forum but it is a good point from drquirky.

Well, mhge completely disagrees with drquirky too. I find it hard to believe that a burritto place would buy jars of salsa tbh, way to expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Gonna try Mama's Revenge on Thomas St this evening. If it's not spicy i will be el gringo loco.

How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Thought Tuzo was pretty poor as well. Tasted more like a wrap than a burrito

Went to Tuzo a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. All fresh stuff. I went with the beef and its one of the few that don't go with mince. wasn't overly spicy but tasted nice

By far the nicest lay out/design of any of them IMO

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah, tried Tuzo last week. The layout is very nice. It's comfortable and spacious, especially for what is basically a fast food place.

I went for a pretty basic beef burrito, and it was nice. All the ingredients were fresh and good quality. I definitely enjoyed it, and I'd go again if I happened to be passing and was hungry. But it wasn't anything amazing, and I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I personally prefer B&B. I know some purists aren't mad about their blended beans or salsa, but they always hit the spot for me. Just personal taste I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

So my (un)healthy obsession for Pablo's still remains but a move of office has taken me to the Clarendon Mkt one which seems is now at the same level as the Baggot St one.

I've tried both Tuzo's and Little Ass on Dawson St and they just don't "cut the mustard". I have to walk past these 2 and Burritos & Blues on my way to Pablo's but I do it every time.

For anyone that's interested Pablo's opened up a Mexican Sandwch place next door to the Burrito place in Clarendon Mkt. Basically its a Burrito in a sandwich which is equally as nice. If push came to shove I would choose the Burrito over the sandwich but its a nice change and better than getting a chicken fillet roll from a Spar!

They've just launched a deal on Living social today if anyone wants to try it (i had to refrain from putting the personalised linlk cos I know they get deleted!) - http://www.livingsocial.com/ireland/cities/68-south-dublin/deals/593238-gourmet-mexican-sandwich-with-mac-n-cheese

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hmm. Have tried: Boojum, Pablo Picante's (Clarendon Mkt), Burrito and Blues (Wexford st, although they seem to be everywhere now), Little Ass (Dawson st), Mama's Revenge, and Tolteca (Suffolk St).

Winners for me were Boojum for sheer volume and Little Ass for flavour. You're always going to feel full after an encounter with Boojum but their burritos do seem to blend all ingredients together in a bit of a messy way, whereas Little Ass you could identify each bit nicely and the ingredients themselves were unusual and delicious. Pablo's was small but tasty, B&B was mediocre and Tolteca tasted a bit weird.

It seems that there are probably more burrito places in town now than the market can handle. Replace them with reasonably priced sushi places, I say.

Advertisement