Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2014 - no discussion of current day stage, see spoiler rules in Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Here's the detail of the finish at present:

294234.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So something like this? Looks very technical.

osd6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Shedite27 wrote: »

[

I hope so. Means someone will finally fix the east wall road!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

The last kink - going from Westland Row onto Merrion Square - is going to be very tricky.
    And it's prob less than 200m from the finish!

Just noticed aswell, the surface on the Howth Road in as far as Marino has all been freshly relaid. So has the surface at the back of Trinity. Hopefully the rest of it will get sorted soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 WerethoBike

Hello,

It shall be of interest what re surface amendments shall be done to the Howth Rd & Dublin Road, being approx the last 10 Km into the city/

Wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭Plastik

The map and directions above don't follow. The R105 is the coast road out closer to Sutton Cross but then cuts inland to become the Howth road. But the text directions state a left turn onto the Alfie Byrne.

I think it will be straight down the coast road all the way to the Alfie Byrne and not down the Howth road at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Plastik wrote: »

I think it will be straight down the coast road all the way to the Alfie Byrne and not down the Howth road at all.

Yep, it says it heads from Portmarnock out the Baldoyle road and then turns right. So I imagine it's the right at the coast road and straight out along the bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

If that's the case there's a whole lot of work to be done. Clontarf Road is in rag order.
    The part along St Anne's Pk has got lots of coverage here before. But today was the first time - because of the giant sandbags - that I've cycled on the road itself for the last 300m inbound before the Alfie Byrne turn. It's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gerryhev

Bigitalianbikeride involving CRC organised for sun 4th May, info on their hub page I think, going over stage 2 route down Antrim coast road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The finish is more or less my daily commute so hopefully the road will get some much needed repair.

On the other hand I may be about to go down about 200 places on some of my better Strava segments!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Shedite27 wrote: »

More like http://goo.gl/maps/z24jz

294436.png

Plastik wrote: »
    The map and directions above don't follow. The R105 is the coast road out closer to Sutton Cross but then cuts inland to become the Howth road. But the text directions state a left turn onto the Alfie Byrne.

buffalo wrote: »
    Yeah think ye're right. The text directions should be.....
    R105 -> R807 -> Left onto Alfie Bynre Road

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shush! it's all part of the cunning plan - the Irish lads know their way round Dublin ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

That roundabout at the Point is going to be fairly "technical" with the train tracks on it, not to mention two tiny roundabouts at Portmarnock and Baldoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The roundabout at Portmarnock wont be a problem as the riders will just treat the junction as a left hand turn,and they dont even have to keep it tight on the exit as the road will be closed so they can drift out towards the field/bank.The roundabout just before Baldoyle is on a dead straight bit of road,has no high curb,and again as the road will be closed the riders could go round it on the wrong side of the road.
    As for the Point roundabout,the tracks will indeed make it tricky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

That roundabout at the Point is going to be fairly "technical" with the train tracks on it, not to mention two tiny roundabouts at Portmarnock and Baldoyle

The pros usually look after each other in these situation and are not inclined to take crazy chances unless just before finishes. I had the great experience of following a breakaway group with Stephen Roche and a number of the top riders of his generation around the circuit of patricks hill in cork during one of the Nissan Tour of Ireland.. and more important I got to follow them on the very technical descents for a few laps. What an experience, dropping like bulletsc and smooth as silk as they cornered like one unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

I had the great experience of following a breakaway group with Stephen Roche and a number of the top riders of his generation around the circuit of patricks hill in cork during one of the

Where you racing them? If so then I think it's fair enough to say 'your' generation as opposed to 'his' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

happytramp wrote: »
    Where you racing them? If so then I think it's fair enough to say 'your' generation as opposed to 'his' :)

No I was in a team car of a team that I was working with for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

any chance we will see the world champ jersey of Rui Costa in Ireland? or is he focusing on the tour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hello,

It shall be of interest what re surface amendments shall be done to the Howth Rd & Dublin Road, being approx the last 10 Km into the city/

Wait and see

if their going down the east wall road they,ll need to change to mountain bikes if they dont resurface that road. Its been as rough as hell for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Especially if it is a wet day.

That roundabout could cause a massive crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

theres going to be traffic chaos in dublin when the giro gets here especially if its a warm day. Traffic out to howth is normally manic that time of year and if the roads are closed no one will be getting in or out of howth, portmarnock and malahide. Im sure be the same up round balbriggan and skerries. Also anyone know if the,ll stop the darts on the day? theres a level crossing in Baldoyle just before the turn onto the coast road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

neris wrote: »
    theres going to be traffic chaos in dublin when the giro gets here

Its a Grand Tour...... coming to "Our City".... who cares ???

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

neris wrote: »
    . Also anyone know if the,ll stop the darts on the day? theres a level crossing in Baldoyle just before the turn onto the coast road

Probably depends on whose in the break. If jesper juul Hansen, now that he is declared Irish were to be in the break, then maybe a train could be scheduled to pass through the level crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

drogdub wrote: »
    Probably depends on whose in the break. If jesper juul Hansen, now that he is declared Irish were to be in the break, then maybe a train could be scheduled to pass through the level crossing

...... Would be even better if Chris Juul Jensen was in the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭billyhead

What sort of field will take part in this. Will all the big guns such as Cavendish, Quintana, Wiggo, Nibali, Cancellara, Greipel be involved. I know Froome wont take part anyway and obviously our top riders like Martin and Roche will be their

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    ...... Would be even better if Chris Juul Jensen was in the break.

Oops true

billyhead wrote: »
    What sort of field will take part in this. Will all the big guns such as Cavendish, Quintana, Wiggo, Nibali, Cancellara, Greipel be involved. I know Froome wont take part anyway and obviously our top riders like Martin and Roche will be their
    Biggest names last year were Wiggins, Nibali, Cavendish, Evans, Uran, Hesjedahl, Gesink and Sammy Sanchez. Be another while yet before they officially announce who will enter which race this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

drogdub wrote: »
    If jesper juul Hansen, now that he is declared Irish were to be in the break, then maybe a train could be scheduled to pass through the level crossing

I missed that juul jensen as declared for ireland! it takes 2 years before he can play for us if he has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement