Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hi. Did all this happen straight after Anthony Daly left and Ger got the new job or has it only happened in last few weeks ?

How come Rushe is still playing, he being the old school brigade etc ?

Cunningham seems to have alienated players, selectors and coaching staff right from the get go, constant drip of people leaving the set up over the last three years. They should have pulled his card after last year and tried to stop the rot.

be glad to see the back of him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

On Newstalk. Shanley basically backing GC and made some good points about players who have left.

Still depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Of course he is going to back the manager. No surprises there. To not do so, would be to admit fault on their part for appointing him in the first place (an unfair judgement maybe, hindsight is always 20/20 ) but mainly for standing idly by, while all of this was let fester and, become as toxic as it is. He is hardly going to admit any fault, especially not on national radio.

It's gas, all the time, money and effort put into getting us out of the hurling doldrums, that we were in for decades and simple ego, is going to send us right back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Of course he is going to back the manager. No surprises there. To not do so, would be to admit fault on their part for appointing him in the first place (an unfair judgement maybe, hindsight is always 20/20 ) but mainly for standing idly by, while all of this was let fester and, become as toxic as it is. He is hardly going to admit any fault, especially not on national radio.

It's gas, all the time, they and effort put into getting us out of the hurling doldrums, that we were in for decades and simple ego, is going to send us right back there.

It is an awful shame it took an awful lot of work to gather momentum after the 2005 leinster minor win.

I would like Shay Boland to get the gig after Cunningham.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    On Newstalk. Shanley basically backing GC and made some good points about players who have left.

Still depressing.

It was infuriating stuff, lack of any real commitment or concern, apparently being down in 1b and bet out the gate by galway isn't a problem.

Shanley might have a great reputation but he should steer clear of mics because he's lost all credibilit by having the gall to criticise players who don't share the county boards tolerance for Cunninghams mediocrity.

"We tend not to sack managers in dublin" . As if we have a sterling pedigree in hurling that shows the wisdom of that habit. Cunningham is finished, everyone knew it, including him. yet he was left in charge this year just to play down the clock like some disinterested civil servant waiting for his pension. Not fixing things when they are obviously wrong is negligence, plain and simple

I can't blame players for walking away. Inter county hurling is a massive commitment and to be making it when the people running the show are a jokeshop then it would be too much to ask

• Advertisement

It is an awful shame it took an awful lot of work to gather momentum after the 2005 leinster minor win.

I would like Shay Boland to get the gig after Cunningham.

Rumour has it the players were consulted when Dalo left & his replacement was being sought. Boland's name came up, but the players vetoed him, in favour of a bigger outside "name."

Would he even want it, given how toxic things have become?

Rumour has it the players were consulted when Dalo left & his replacement was being sought. Boland's name came up, but the players vetoed him, in favour of a bigger outside "name."

See. People ought to be aware of all of this.

Be careful what you wish for, as they say.... Boland would have been good choice but of course some people be only fkn happy with Guadriola!

How many lads are actually left from the daly era? Is the logic that cunningham is still in the job as some sort of punishment for an alleged decision most of these players did not make? :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    How many lads are actually left from the daly era? Is the logic that cunningham is still in the job as some sort of punishment for an alleged decision most of these players did not make? :confused:

Nah. I doubt the DCB decision making is quite that convoluted or vindictive. Probably more a feeling of "we've made our own bed, so now we have to lie in it" syndrome. Besides, how many top counties fire their manager after only one year, or even two, if the manager has a 3 year deal? At that high a level of power, we are dealing with some pretty healthy sized egos....none of whom are all that good at admitting that a bad mistake was made.

Anyway.....right now, the future is down here, in the Marble City. It's a dull, overcast evening, quite blustery too. T'will probably be a case of making hay while you have the breeze.

Passed thru this strange Never Never land place called Carla, on the way down. Turns out it does exist after all. They'll be saying they have a football team next. Mad stuff altogether ! ;)

Fairly optimistic about 21s tonight. This cohort has good record against all Leinster opposition and the senior experience should stand to some of them, assuming they have come unscathed from Sunday. Not entirely convinced of the logic of springing some of them from bench when game was gone mind you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Kilkenny much smarter with their play then we were in that first half working the ball into much better positions for their shots and taking their points very well only 2 points down at half time in saying that

KK should be up by more. 5 or 6 sloppy wides in the first 10 mins. Looking v settled now though.

Disappointing night. Cats won playing well within themselves. Looks like being a bad year all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Great podcast with Jack McCaffrey on Off The Ball for anyone who's missed it. Talking about his summer off, The Dubs, his education, the work life balance etc. You can tell he's an educated dude.

Jayop wrote: »
    Great podcast with Jack McCaffrey on Off The Ball for anyone who's missed it. Talking about his summer off, The Dubs, his education, the work life balance etc. You can tell he's an educated dude.

Well, I suppose to someone from Tyrone anyone who read Enid Blyton books is "educated." :)

Only busting your balls. You gave us one of best Dublin writers of all time. He was from Strabane of all places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Well, I suppose to someone from Tyrone anyone who read Enid Blyton books is "educated." :)

Only busting your balls. You gave us one of best Dublin writers of all time. He was from Strabane of all places.

Flann the man.

Between Flann, Paul Brady and Hugo Duncan we've contributed so much to Irish culture from my wee town!

Flann probably caught Dublin humour and accent better than anyone. He was brilliant. Eamonn Morriseys show is brilliant.

A few years ago went to see play based on Third Policeman and myself and brother - ha! - and other half were nearly crying laughing when a German woman in front of us turned around and told us to shut up, that this was serious play!

He would have appreciated that :-)

Jack Flash and the bould Aido were both on with Matt Cooper a couple of weeks ago.

Jacks interview went something like this:

- So Jack, you turned your back on intercounty football and spent your summer in an African hospital, saving starving children instead. What was that like?
    - So Jack, winning Young Footballer of the Year in your first season and Footballer of The Year, in your third season, what was that like?
    - So Jack, winning 2 All Irelands by the age of 22, what was that like?
    - So Jack, you are studying to be a doctor, what's that like?
    - So Jack, you captained your county to an U21 All Ireland title. What was that like?

Meanwhile Aidan....over to you...eh...lovely weather we're having 'wha?

I almost felt sorry for him. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jack Flash and the bould Aido were both on with Matt Cooper a couple of weeks ago.

Jacks interview went something like this:

- So Jack, you turned your back on intercounty football and spent your summer in an African hospital, saving starving children instead. What was that like?
    - So Jack, winning Young Footballer of the Year in your first season and Footballer of The Year, in your third season, what was that like?
    - So Jack, winning 2 All Irelands by the age of 22, what was that like?
    - So Jack, you are studying to be a doctor, what's that like?
    - So Jack, you captained your county to an U21 All Ireland title. What was that like?

Meanwhile Aidan....over to you...eh...lovely weather we're having 'wha?

I almost felt sorry for him. :o

I think you'll find that on the one stat that really matters AOS has probably 15K more twitter followers tho :D

He has much better hair too, in fairness. Methinks that trumps (no pun intended :D ) the Twitter followers.

• Advertisement

He has much better hair too, in fairness. Methinks that trumps (no pun intended :D ) the Twitter followers.

Aye .. Jack is the sort of fella that should jump at the opportunity of a charity headshave when they come around ..

Of course he would. He's a ginger. Wouldn't ever need much of an excuse to rock the Kojack look. :P

Any indication as to the expected crowd tomorrow ? .. I'll probably park up at the Midway and ramble down if there's a big crowd heading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

A dickie bird tells me that DCB are making eyes at Waterford's Derek McGrath for the Dublin job.

hinault wrote: »
    A dickie bird tells me that DCB are making eyes at Waterford's Derek McGrath for the Dublin job.

Nooooooo!

We'll be playing for 0 - 0 draws next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Interesting. Scully half back, McCarthy midfield, O'Callaghan leading the line.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:
    Interesting. Scully half back, McCarthy midfield, O'Callaghan leading the line.

I don't see Scully at half back but I'm sure it's part of his development

McCarthy midfield was predictable enough. Carlow midfield probably their strongest line so be interesting test.

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't see Scully at half back but I'm sure it's part of his development

When Scully came on for Connolly in NFL final I seem to remember him getting on the ball a lot and carrying from our 45 - it's far from a HB role I know but maybe that's the plan with him set deeper in the play. With the greatest respect to Carlow this'll be one way traffic and Cluxton will be the only lad that holds his line out position - I would've like to have seen Daly, Reddin & Basquel get a start personally

• Advertisement

hinault wrote: »

Someone mentioned that his contract with Waterford would be up this year alright

I think Anthony Cunningham would be worth looking at, felt he was shafted by Galway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement