Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Stoner wrote: »
    Says June 1988 in the program. I'm pretty sure I was at it. I remember it vaguely

John McCarthy and Hanohoe - scored 1 - 4 - were not playing in 1988! It was definitely 1978.

First half over Fair play to Carlow they have thier tactics right so far.

The other counties in leinster should take note.

In fact the other counties in leinster should be ashamed at themselves. If Carlow can do this what are the likes of Meath and Kildare up to?

It is desperate sh1te to watch in fairness. Only thing is they are clearly knackered and space will open up and Dublin can put it to bed quickly and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Bambi wrote: »
    Is there some rule in the media that every time dublin play now there has to be some Mayo whinger like Moran in the commnetary box?

Andy Moran? surely not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭munster87

Some very suspect frees being given since halftime

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It is desperate sh1te to watch in fairness. Only thing is they are clearly knackered and space will open up and Dublin can put it to bed quickly and go home.

Dublin were ponderous and low scoring all through the league (well, bar against Mayo but who cares?) . If they're relying on physical fitness to prevail that may be their downfall

This ****e of trying to run a packed defence off its legs by playing keep ball across the park will bite them on the arse, it leaves the game too tight coming into the last 10 minutes

Mean Horan not Moran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

Connolly will get cited for that I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Job done,now onto beat the rest of the cannon fodder in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

First half over Fair play to Carlow they have thier tactics right so far.

The other counties in leinster should take note.

In fact the other counties in leinster should be ashamed at themselves. If Carlow can do this what are the likes of Meath and Kildare up to?
    Take note are you crazy? They had 15 players in their own half and they were in procession for large parts of the first half. It was unlikely Carlow would win but their tactics ensured it was impossible

Take note are you crazy? They had 15 players in their own half and they were in procession for large parts of the first half. It was unlikely Carlow would win but their tactics ensured it was impossible

You would wonder what the point of it is really. Team being lauded for not getting beaten by 30 points! And man of the match going to one of them.

Sooner they bring back straight knock out the better. Might encourage the likes of Carlow to do something mad, like try to fkn win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

They also had the worst kickout "strategy" I have ever seen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Bonniedog wrote:
    John McCarthy and Hanohoe - scored 1 - 4 - were not playing in 1988! It was definitely 1978.

Just saying it says 1988 was the last time they played. B Rock , Galvin Redmond etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

naughtb4 wrote: »

And must of kicked 6 or so frees backwards towards their own goal. Set out not to win!

Stoner wrote: »
    Just saying it says 1988 was the last time they played. B Rock , Galvin Redmond etc

Apologies Stoner. It was indeed 1988. I thought I remembered all games from around then. Obviously not!

Anyway, I am not only one to have made that error as one pundit referred to it having been 39 years since they met.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

naughtb4 wrote: »

In fairness one of Dublins biggest strengths is lining up for an opposing team's kick outs. They pushed right up and Carlow had no chance. It's brave as fk to do (OK not really against Carlow but against big teams it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Love those performances.

Much better than beating Meath by 60 points. You learn nothing. Lots to work on. Just what we need.

The only thing it highlights is that we'll continue to struggle against negative tactics. God help us against the nordies.

Worrying the amount of stupid possessions we gave away though. Silly shot selections and a fear of taking on a long point.

A good run out and fair play to Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Hope all you who were driving got home safe...some seriously freaky weather on the way home. Game was weird. Carlows approach was odd. Their number 9, Murphy??? was class though. Really enjoyed when he went at us...best thing about the game lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Slattsy wrote: »
    Love those performances.

Much better than beating Meath by 60 points. You learn nothing. Lots to work on. Just what we need.

The only thing it highlights is that we'll continue to struggle against negative tactics. God help us against the nordies.

Worrying the amount of stupid possessions we gave away though. Silly shot selections and a fear of taking on a long point.

A good run out and fair play to Carlow.

sadly the difference between meath and the likes of laois , kildare louth wexford ect is in the last number of years against dubliin there players never put the body on the line like carlow did today ,

if carlow had forwards like some of them mentioned counties have it would have been a realy close game ,

i taught carlow's work rate for a division 4 team was excellent , especially in defense had nearly 20 turnovers

but thats the type of game dublin need for the all ireland series

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

You could see Steven Poachers influence with Carlow in their dogged defending and slowing the play when they got turned over. Not a lot of positives to be taken from that game all told other than the 1st leg of my treble coming in :)

Weather was crazy coming home - that was the most vivid rainbow I've seen in a long while and possibly the highlight of the day:rolleyes: To the arsehole in the black focus with no lights on - yer an accident waiting to happen :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

And must of kicked 6 or so frees backwards towards their own goal. Set out not to win!

there's no rule against it

Was the National Anthem today a 45 record played at 33 speed? Twas brutal

• Advertisement

Was chatting to a lad during the Connolly incident and him saying that if he's black carded for this he'll be banned for the next game - looks according to the SFC thread he could have a longer ban for pushing Brannigan .. he's a total liability at this stage but I will say he shipped some punishment today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Was the National Anthem today a 45 record played at 33 speed? Twas brutal

download.jpg

dont worry your local TD has been been on the case!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Terrible that the best direct runner was in a Carlow shirt. We used to crucify teams at that. Now its run a few yards, pass it back, run sideways, run every direction bar through the opposition towards goal. Its infuriating.

Connolly hovering beside the dressing room on 73 minutes summed up his attitude. Wanted out of there. In fairness it must be tough putting up with the nonsense every game.

Scully and McCaffrey did well.

I'd worry about it being our next Eurovision entry tbh!

corny wrote: »
    Terrible that the best direct runner was in a Carlow shirt. We used to crucify teams at that. Now its run a few yards, pass it back, run sideways, run every direction bar through the opposition towards goal. Its infuriating.

Connolly hovering beside the dressing room on 73 minutes summed up his attitude. Wanted out of there. In fairness it must be tough putting up with the nonsense every game.

I really can't fathom the reluctance of some to take a score from anything further than 30 yards out straight in front of goal, we can't attack now without having a 3 man pod in attendance - there seems to be a lot of Jayos basketball stuff going on looking to screen the shooter.

I honestly think they're over thinking the attacking aspects of our play - and then you see Bernard coming on and just doing the simple things the way it should be done .. he'll be sorely missed...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

corny wrote:

I thought McCaffery, Cooper and McCarthy were very good. McCarthy and McCaffery had some great runs, I thought McCarthy was the best direct runner.

Sean Murphy was great for them alright, he had a very powerful turn of pace and could break a tackle, big bull of a man too.
    Although B Murphy didn't appear to have a good game he was competitive however he'd nobody around him to pick up the breaking ball so it appeared as if he was losing his battle but it was really Scully, Lowdnes, McCaffery and Kilkenny hovering everything up that broke in that zone.

DoctaDee wrote:
    I honestly think they're over thinking the attacking aspects of our play - and then you see Bernard coming on and just doing the simple things the way it should be done .. he'll be sorely missed...
    Yeah we were saying that coming back. If brogan had started he was good for 4 or 5 from play. Not a game for McManaman imo he was bottled up.

There was someone fast shooting though McCaffery , Kilkenny , Brogan and Manion taking fast shots no messing,

McHugh has huge potential though .
    Took his score well too.

The basketball tactic of bringing the ball to the scoring area was effective two years ago, because teams just fell back and they were able to either pick out an unmarked shooter or drive through.

Teams now are more aggressive and are not giving them the time to settle. Also has to be said that Dublin are way more cautious than they used to be. Need to come up with something new or they will be stifled by the better teams who are more disciplined than likes of Carlow.

Need to vary it a bit or they'll be fked. Few times tonight Bernie was man to man inside and they were still passing across the line. Three years ago the ball would have been dropped in on top of him.

Bonniedog wrote:
    Need to vary it a bit or they'll be fked. Few times tonight Bernie was man to man inside and they were still passing across the line. Three years ago the ball would have been dropped in on top of him.

True, Fenton hit one just a bit too short. Brogan is a starter for me.

I think the forwards are working on getting the shots off quicker though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Was chatting to a lad during the Connolly incident and him saying that if he's black carded for this he'll be banned for the next game - looks according to the SFC thread he could have a longer ban for pushing Brannigan .. he's a total liability at this stage but I will say he shipped some punishment today

I know that it's not fair, but he gets that treatment because it gets results.

As you say, he's a total liability at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement