Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options
1327328329330331333»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Am I the only one here that thinks this is all ridiculous. Did he:

A. Assault the linesman or
    B. Put his hand on the linesman's shoulder

Putting aside who it is, his reputation etc. It was nothing to me. Rules are rules, I get that but I don't think you can call it assault and say he deserves 12 weeks. I don't get it.
    He put his hand on an official in a negative way he deserves to be banned rules are rules.

If he isn't punished it sets a bad example IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

He put his hand on an official in a negative way he deserves to be banned rules are rules.

If he isn't punished it sets a bad example IMO

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a ban. All I'm saying is it was not assault and I think 12 weeks is very harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a ban. All I'm saying is it was not assault and I think 12 weeks is very harsh.

It's 3 games, only one of which is competitive.

If Dublin plan on moving forward with Connolly involved the chap needs to be spoken to imo

Yes he is the equivalent of world class in the game but absolutely stone mad. I remember being at a Kildare Dublin match where he dropped the knee on the back of a players head on the ground I think it was eoin O'Flaherty and I was shocked absolutely shocked at how level of disregard he showed that day. Maybe I have a view of him due to that though

Either way I hope he sorts himself out when playing he is brilliant I'll admit that

I agree for what he did 12 games is harsh but a clear message needs to be sent imo to not touch officials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Jayop wrote: »
    It's 3 games, only one of which is competitive.

does it not include ban from club and county games/training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Better off just getting on with it now, you can't lay a hand on an official and that's that. The only thing I wonder is would it have been made such a big deal of if the Tipp lad hadn't of just recently made news with his 12 week ban.

micks wrote: »
    does it not include ban from club and county games/training?

Yeah, but there's no club football fixtures in Dublin for ages. Really all he's going to miss of importance is a Leinster final where he already has about 10 medals.

The ban is a long one, and I'd prefer these bans for this type of thing to be just games rather than training too but that's the way it is.

Joekers wrote: »
    Better off just getting on with it now, you can't lay a hand on an official and that's that. The only thing I wonder is would it have been made such a big deal of if the Tipp lad hadn't of just recently made news with his 12 week ban.

McGeeney getting his ban for abuse was another one. They're being seen to be cracking down in it this summer.

No harm.

I agree for what he did 12 games is harsh but a clear message needs to be sent imo to not touch officials

I wonder why the officials didn't act on the assault on the day?
    Shirley for such an assault he should have received a red card ?
    The linesman didn't seem too bothered

Will the next referee that assaults a player by placing a hand on their arm or shoulder be dealt with in a similar manner?

yes rules are rules but they are there for everyone its the inconsistencies that cause the problems

break will do him good
    in fact if i was him i'd retire from inter county

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Gael85 wrote: »
    Connolly should know better at this stage. The GAA has done nothing to protect players like Connolly, Aidan O'Shea and Michael Murphy who are targeted continuously. The referees usually issue 2 yellow cards instead of punishing the instigator.
    The difference though is that players like Murphy don't take the bait.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Am I the only one here that thinks this is all ridiculous. Did he:

A. Assault the linesman or
    B. Put his hand on the linesman's shoulder

Putting aside who it is, his reputation etc. It was nothing to me. Rules are rules, I get that but I don't think you can call it assault and say he deserves 12 weeks. I don't get it.

Here's the rule in tweet format:

https://twitter.com/jholland79/status/871084921212764160

No mention of assault at all, but even "Minor Physical Interference" comes with a 12 week holiday.

It still has to be imposed, and I think it may still come down to the referees report.

I wonder why the officials didn't act on the assault on the day?
    Shirley for such an assault he should have received a red card ?
    The linesman didn't seem too bothered

Will the next referee that assaults a player by placing a hand on their arm or shoulder be dealt with in a similar manner?

yes rules are rules but they are there for everyone its the inconsistencies that cause the problems

break will do him good
    in fact if i was him i'd retire from inter county
    I never said he assaulted anyone lets get that straight. I'm old stock by the way I played the game and was a pig on the pitch but I dared to even think about pushing a match official. he didn't assault him but he broke the rules end of.. so if he is allowed to do that what stops other players intimidating officials if there are lenient rules as to what is and is not acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Have the CCCC received the report yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So you're arguing FOR inconsistency and non-application of the rules.

I was at the game. Saw it i real time. And still think he should've walked at the time.

Even with that I have no qualms with the punishment. He pushed the linesman. End. Of.

It wasn't violent, but given what led up to it was aggressive. Not only that, he consistently remonstrated with the same linesman later on in the game, even pushing through team mates to get to him.

How anyone can defend this is beyond me.

I hate how players get away with stuff all the time. It's that what brings our games into disrepute.

Not a bean last year for Donaghy v Clare. Nothing. Like i said, if that was Connolly or James McCarthy or anyone in Blue i would hope they'd meet the full rigours of the rulebook.

I remembered a sickening incident years ago (possibly 2006 or 07) where Ciarán Whelan did a number on a yellow-belly... Couldn't believe he got away with it at the time (ban-wise). Couldn't stomach the f-er after that. The rules are there to be used. They should be used on everyone as required.

I never said he assaulted anyone lets get that straight. I'm old stock by the way I played the game and was a pig on the pitch but I dared to even think about pushing a match official. he didn't assault him but he broke the rules end of.. so if he is allowed to do that what stops other players intimidating officials if there are lenient rules as to what is and is not acceptable

Thats one of my points - inconsistency
    every year someone somewhere "lays a hand" on an official

I still would question why it wasnt dealt with on the day if deemed serious
    Its not like it was missed by the officials considering it involved one

I'm not aiming the "assault" tag at anyone - its been hyped up to that in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Gael85

The difference though is that players like Murphy don't take the bait.

Murphy is no angel. Has gotten away with a lot including a knee in DC kidneys in 2014 semi final but has way more control over his actions. How he kept his head was admirable when Justin McMahon was at him physically/verbally for the whole game a couple years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

We know he has a discipline problem, it's been a problem for years and tbh it's crazy that this is the first long ban he's got (I think?). The action itself wasn't particularly violent but I wouldn't have huge sympathy for Connolly.

But anyway, we'll be OK. He'll be back for the crunch games (hoping we make it that far), but, and I'm sure many will disagree, but I don't think Connolly is half as important to Dublin as many make out. A supremely talented player who we may miss but I honestly don't feel he contributes as much he could.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The mass brawls which are common often result in a couple of yellow cards and that is the end of the matter. Serious individual off the ball incidents or bad tackles often result in a card and sometimes a short ban. What happened between Down and Armagh for example is far more serious than what Connolly did, but none of those players will be facing a 12 week ban.

But players know that breaking the rule about interfering with officials is a 12 week minimum ban so that is why it is so uncommon. It could only be described as a harsh "sentence" if a player gets more than the 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

I take me eye off yiz for an hour and ya scream past the 10,000 post mark. Closing the gates here guys - new thread available here. Thanks for your contributions, oh and thanks Dermo you got the post count flying

Edit .. Strange touch site says there's nearly 10,200 posts :confused: but it's only a matter of time we breach the 10K

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement