Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Wonder what he said.

It's an odd thing to be banned over, considering the amount of players (from all counties) that run to the ref and start roaring in his ear, the minute he blows his whistle. Donaghy in particular, is terrible for that. Oh well, c'est la vie !

Can you get a black card for questioning the paternal heritage of a ref? Dermo needs to take note if you can. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Wonder what he said.

It's an odd thing to be banned over, considering the amount of players (from all counties) that run to the ref and start roaring in his ear, the minute he blows his whistle. Donaghy in particular, is terrible for that. Oh well, c'est la vie !

Can you get a black card for questioning the paternal heritage of a ref? Dermo needs to take note if you can. ;)

Yeah that's the strange thing about the retrospective punishment - if Philly lifted neilan out of it at the time he should've been black carded, the powers that be are now looking to redress the refs initial ineptitude

.. oh and next weeks game should be down in Dr Cullen.. speaking of ineptitude

Yeah, it really should. Portlaoise is so...well...meh !

Give Carlow town a day that they'll stll be talking about/giving out about/explaning to the Guards about, 20 years from now. They deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DoctaDee wrote: »
    .. oh and next weeks game should be down in Dr Cullen.. speaking of ineptitude

When did they decide that?

You wouldnt want to be making a night of these away games :o

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    When did they decide that?

You wouldnt want to be making a night of these away games :o

It was always going to be Portlaoise if Carlow won. Nowlan Park if Wexico won.

?? .. Wasn't it Wexford Pk if Wexford won .. Portlaoise if Carlow did .. it was only Wexfords reluctance to host it that brought Nowlan into the equation

There was no problem giving Wexico the benefit of a home draw .. and Portlaoise (not deemed suitable last year) now becomes Carlows home for wiining last weekend .. strange days indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

?? .. Wasn't it Wexford Pk if Wexford won .. Portlaoise if Carlow did .. it was only Wexfords reluctance to host it that brought Nowlan into the equation

Yes was Wexford Park if Wexford won, Wexford moaned that Dublin Season Ticket holders would take up most of the main covered stand leaving their supporters in the uncovered one, they were never going to move it out of Wexford as it worth too much..
    There was no problem giving Wexico the benefit of a home draw .. and Portlaoise (not deemed suitable last year) now becomes Carlows home for wiining last weekend .. strange days indeed

The Leinster Council are going of the size of the crowd in Nowlan Park last year circa. 17,000, Portlaoise can hold 18,000 so they’re saying it is now suitable.

Dr. Cullen can only hold 12,000 so was never in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The bookies have the spread at dublin -21 points @evens

I am not sure whether that is after 35 minutes or the full 70 minutes.

Not sure if I will be bothered going, if I am honest.

Nothing against Portlaoise, but would you be @rsed?

Whatever about Dublin playing laois in Nowlan park...at least they could put up some fight.
    Carlow?

I know they have pockets of football areas Eire Og etc and the odd exceptional player like murphy.

But jayus if there is a full house at this how is it going to encourage them to change the championship system?
    They will say sure the eejits will watch anything!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The bookies have the spread at dublin -21 points @evens

I am not sure whether that is after 35 minutes or the full 70 minutes.

Not sure if I will be bothered going, if I am honest.

Nothing against Portlaoise, but would you be @rsed?

Whatever about Dublin playing laois in Nowlan park...at least they could put up some fight.
    Carlow?

I know they have pockets of football areas Eire Og etc and the odd exceptional player like murphy.

But jayus if there is a full house at this how is it going to encourage them to change the championship system?
    They will say sure the eejits will watch anything!

Only an eijit would take any football team at - 21!

They might do but Dubs tend to ease down on Leinster teams. Love giving Kerry or Mayo or Tyrone or Donegal a hiding, but let's face it this is just a formality.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Only an eijit would take any football team at - 21!

They might do but Dubs tend to ease down on Leinster teams. Love giving Kerry or Mayo or Tyrone or Donegal a hiding, but let's face it this is just a formality.

The only winners out of the whole thing will be Portlaoise, especially the publicans.

How does a Dublin player motivate themselves for game like this?

Jim Gavin: Lads, this is part of the process lads

Dublin team
    : Yes Jim the process, we must follow the process

What is the Carlow team talk like?

Turlough O'Brien: Right lads I have a plan, we try and hold them to a draw, play the ball backwards.
    Did any of ye watch Gladiator ? The Russell Crowe one?

Brendan Murphy: Tis our favourite film!! Wasn't Katryn Thomas in it?

Turlough O'Brien: Well I want ye to try that formation, the one where he survives against the chariots and lions. 'Hold lads, Hoooold, Hoooold' that one.

But I want ye to really wind these Dubs up, make sure you bring the refs attention to any swearing.
    Cos they will be suspended in the replay.

Brendan Murphy: Come here, how do we get the horses to portlaoise and won't those wooden pallets weigh us down?

Well, one things for sure, we won't have a hard time telling the two teams apart. Last year, in the fading gloom of an overcast evening in Nowlan Park, I hadn't an iota who was who. It was especially bad, during the second half, when the action was taking place down at the other end of Hill 17.

The Carlow game reminded me of story about Dublin playing Kildare in 1978 I think.

Dublin were well ahead at half time but Kildare manager was still up for it. He tore them a new one in the dressing room and ended by screaming: "Who's going to win this fkn match boys?"

There was silence for a few seconds and one of the players looked up and said: "Jaysus now, you'd have to fancy the Dubs."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Patser

I wonder if Carlow fans will organise a boycott like Laois fans did last year for not getting to host?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Patser wrote: »
    I wonder if Carlow fans will organise a boycott like Laois fans did last year for not getting to host?

It works 12 months in arrears. Carlow are hosting our first round game against Louth in 2018. Something to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Ball In Towards

Dotsy's out of Sunday's game :/

Wonder what sorta attack Ger's gonna have? be good to see the likes of Donal Burke get a start after the league

http://www.98fm.com/Injury-Blows-for-Dublins-Hurlers-Ahead-of-Galway-Clash

Dotsy's out of Sunday's game :/

Wonder what sorta attack Ger's gonna have? be good to see the likes of Donal Burke get a start after the league

http://www.98fm.com/Injury-Blows-for-Dublins-Hurlers-Ahead-of-Galway-Clash

It is a terrible thing that the sole reason I am thinking about going to this game just to see are Galway that good?

I just hope the Dubs are not embarrassed and try and give them a rattle.

I fear it might be bad, but you never know. They showed a lot of balls in the league. I'd be more concerned that it might negatively impact on 21s who play the Cats in their pitch three days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭brookville

I fear it might be bad, but you never know. They showed a lot of balls in the league. I'd be more concerned that it might negatively impact on 21s who play the Cats in their pitch three days later.

Will con o callaghan be allowed play with the 21s?he'd be some additional. ...how many seniors have ye involved with the 21s?

brookville wrote: »
    Will con o callaghan be allowed play with the 21s?he'd be some additional. ...how many seniors have ye involved with the 21s?

Gilroy refused to allow dual players play 21s hurling so I imagine Gavin be same.

Potentially 7/8 off the league panel but to be honest have not seen GC's championship squad. Hearing that there is at least one potential big absentee from both games.

To be honest I have no idea of DCB protocol regarding players who are on both senior and 21s. Don't imagine they would be too popular if they claimed to be injured for sunday then turned up on Wednesday although logic would point to that bein the best option. Awful fkn mess.

• Advertisement

Gilroy refused to allow dual players play 21s hurling so I imagine Gavin be same.

Potentially 7/8 off the league panel but to be honest have not seen GC's championship squad. Hearing that there is at least one potential big absentee from both games.

To be honest I have no idea of DCB protocol regarding players who are on both senior and 21s. Don't imagine they would be too popular if they claimed to be injured for sunday then turned up on Wednesday although logic would point to that bein the best option. Awful fkn mess.

Unfortunate what's happening for sure but there's some very good young hurlers in the capital I can see ye giving galway a game probaly short a few fowards,dotsie also a loss
    The u21 match should be a good match there's pressure on kk to do something this year while ye have gotten some senior experience into yer youngsters but the 3 day turn around could be a issue

brookville wrote: »
    Unfortunate what's happening for sure but there's some very good young hurlers in the capital I can see ye giving galway a game probaly short a few fowards,dotsie also a loss
    The u21 match should be a good match there's pressure on kk to do something this year while ye have gotten some senior experience into yer youngsters but the 3 day turn around could be a issue

21s will definitely give it a shot. Hope to get down for that. not going to bother going to see the Galway game.

In fairness to the team Cunningham put out for the league they went down with boots on. Shamed some of the ones that refused to play. Rushie really grew in my estimation too. He is hero to the younger fellas, some of whom were in middle of their mock exams when playing Tipp and you chaps! Great experience hopefully.

21s will definitely give it a shot. Hope to get down for that. not going to bother going to see the Galway game.

In fairness to the team Cunningham put out for the league they went down with boots on. Shamed some of the ones that refused to play. Rushie really grew in my estimation too. He is hero to the younger fellas, some of whom were in middle of their mock exams when playing Tipp and you chaps! Great experience hopefully.

I was at the kk league match and I was impressed especially considering Gary maguire was sent off and ye played the majority of the match with 14 men,very unlucky against clare and two soft goals conceded against Waterford things could of being different.I don't think sundays match is as straight forward as some are suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

It is a terrible thing that the sole reason I am thinking about going to this game just to see are Galway that good?

I just hope the Dubs are not embarrassed and try and give them a rattle.

I know it might seem a bit rich and ironic coming from a Tipp man considering recent events and lets be honest recent history :o but Galway never ever handle expectation well and invariably quite the opposite, it just doesn't sit well with them as a rule and as a Dub I would be clinging to that hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

danganabu wrote: »
    I know it might seem a bit rich and ironic coming from a Tipp man considering recent events and lets be honest recent history :o but Galway never ever handle expectation well and invariably quite the opposite, it just doesn't sit well with them as a rule and as a Dub I would be clinging to that hope.

We'll be playing them with half a team and a clown on the sidelines who only figures out what changes are required when he's watching the highlights on the sunday game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Bambi wrote: »
    We'll be playing them with half a team and a clown on the sidelines who only figures out what changes are required when he's watching the highlights on the sunday game

Agree re Cunningham, although maybe not as strongly, he is being found out at this level and his archaic old school approach is doomed to fail. Still think Galway will stutter and stumble though :D

Galway may well be caught in the headlights, but I doubt it will be by Dublin. Only hope is that they have started nervously in their first games in recent years; notably the draw against Offaly and against Westmeath but as Brookville referred to Dublin have been leaking some really bad sucker punch goals. Certainly cost them the Waterford game and allowed Clare to pull away in Ennis. Not blaming the goalkeeper. He has been thrown in deep end. Big ask for a first year senior playing against good forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Uh oh... the Keepers are worried... You'd thought how they "humbled" us in the League final and their "quiet" celebrations after the match that they would be more than content...

Pat Spillane had this to say about their angelic ways on the pitch in the 70s:
    “I don’t want to hark back to when I played but in ’75 we won the All-Ireland. In ’76 and ’77 we were beaten by the Dubs and we were bullied out of it fair or foul. When the Dubs fouled you, Jesus, they fouled you. You knew it. They knocked the stuffing out of you.

“When we fouled, they were innocent fouls. A pull of the jersey. We didn’t lay down a marker.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/my-puke-football-jibe-wrong-says-pat-spillane-450776.html

Uh oh... the Keepers are worried... You'd thought how they "humbled" us in the League final and their "quiet" celebrations after the match that they would be more than content...

Pat Spillane had this to say about their angelic ways on the pitch in the 70s:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/my-puke-football-jibe-wrong-says-pat-spillane-450776.html

God forbid that the Kerry boys might be bullied :)

Ask Brian Fenton.

Thing about Dubs and Meath was that it was basically stand up no quarter asked nor given. Tough in your face belting. Don't ever recall anyone lying down unless they had to! and certainly no Meathman or Dub ever went crying to the papers afterwards. Fact is, and I remember it, poor Pat lost his bollix against Dublin in 1976 and 1977. that's his to deal with.

• Advertisement

When we fouled, they were innocent fouls. A pull of the jersey. We didn't lay down a marker."

jiFfM.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement