Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Take note are you crazy? They had 15 players in their own half and they were in procession for large parts of the first half. It was unlikely Carlow would win but their tactics ensured it was impossible

I am not saying to play like that for a whole game.

Just for parts of it and kill the game.

Then break every so often in theory Meath and Kildare have better forwards look at the pace of Wallace for Meath they don't make full use of him.

It annoys me that teams seem to think it is all or nothing play all out attack or defence. Have they not got the cop on to vary it during a game?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think teams like Donegal have it down to an art where it's a tactic to win a game. You are waiting for the runner or the guy to drift into space , they have a number of guys capable of it too. But they are the masters of it and have the players to deliver​ it , I'd suspect looking at the game yesterday that Carlow simply don't have that type of player

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Connolly is a brilliant player, one of the best in the country, but he'd wreck your head with his carry on. All Gavin would have wanted from last night was a simple win and to avoid any injuries but now he'll have to deal with the Connolly circus for the rest of the summer. Assuming Connolly gets banned which seems likely at this stage then Gavin is going to be slaughtered by some either way if he keeps Connolly on the panel or drops him. All this over a lineball in a game Dublin were always going to win. Daftness.

I dont think RTEs reporting of the incident on their website really captures the national feeling.
    "Fears for Connolly Suspension after Linesman Incident" doesn't seem right. I'd say "Prayers for Connolly Suspension after Linesman Incident" probably fits in more with the general feeling in 31 counties. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    there's no rule against it

Never claimed there was. In fact barring throw in Carlow are entitled to have to never leave their own half of the pitch. I just don't see how that will win games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Ah jaysis a dilemma to start the day, Mrs Doc drops me a cuppa​ coffee and announces she's looking to go to Parnell to see Mordor this afternoon - she's only bringing me as an emotional punchbag .. Dear Mary what should I do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

what did Connolly do lads?

cant see past you lot for sam again, honestly this Dublin team are insanely talented and an absolute joy to watch...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

what did Connolly do lads?

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/871091238480609280

By the letter of the law, it's 12 week suspension, but it also looks like something that may be decided by how the referee writes up the report. Either way, I'm not sure that Connolly is the man to rely on this summer.
    cant see past you lot for sam again, honestly this Dublin team are insanely talented and an absolute joy to watch...

I don't know, I don't think that we've been playing well yet, too many areas on the field where we're not hitting the heights set in previous years. In saying that, I thought that we played worse last year than the year before that, and still won, so what do I know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

CatInABox wrote: »
    I don't know, I don't think that we've been playing well yet, too many areas on the field where we're not hitting the heights set in previous years. In saying that, I thought that we played worse last year than the year before that, and still won, so what do I know....

With the sheer number of draws in the league and a few sub par performances I would prefer to see the lads come into this campaign a bit better rested and sluggish in the early games. It's a long summer and as long as the performances pick up while still getting the results I am not too worried about early game performances

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I would imagine they have been pacing themselves towards Autumn more so than before. No one will beat them in Leinster and only danger in quarter final is most likely one of top three Ulster teams who have been beaten there. No one else bar Kerry or Mayo has hope of beating Dublin so Gavin can almost plan his season now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No one will beat them in Leinster and only danger in quarter final is most likely one of top three Ulster teams who have been beaten there.

I think Ulster championship actually works against teams in general come the QF and further on rarely an easy game and Ulster champions usually come out overcooked from such a hard route.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DoctaDee wrote:
    Ah jaysis a dilemma to start the day, Mrs Doc drops me a cuppa​ coffee and announces she's looking to go to Parnell to see Mordor this afternoon - she's only bringing me as an emotional punchbag .. Dear Mary what should I do

What should you do
    What can you do
    What will you do

She's wants the same answer for them all. That's the issue, if you go you'll have to pretend you want to.

I'd go anyway get a gander at them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Stoner wrote: »
    What should you do
    What can you do
    What will you do

She's wants the same answer for them all. That's the issue, if you go you'll have to pretend you want to.

The fact I've Louth to lose by less than 6 means I'm emotionally invested ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What should you do
    What can you do
    What will you do

You could always just point & laugh. What else can you do around Meath these days?
    #DontTellMrs Doc
    #MumsTheWord

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I really can't fathom the reluctance of some to take a score from anything further than 30 yards out straight in front of goal, we can't attack now without having a 3 man pod in attendance - there seems to be a lot of Jayos basketball stuff going on looking to screen the shooter.

I honestly think they're over thinking the attacking aspects of our play - and then you see Bernard coming on and just doing the simple things the way it should be done .. he'll be sorely missed...

How often did you see a dublin shirt in a scoring position lay it off to someone in a "better" position who was then swallowed up or blocked? They should be playing Mick Fitzimons' criminal hand pass in the replay over and over and telling lads "Do this and you're off the f**ing panel, my granny could kick that from her wheelchair"

On another note, if they're not scoring goals against 14 man carlow then they can forget about another All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I have said it for years lads Connolly is technically brilliant but mad as a brush. IMO he doesn't deserve a place he is too hot headed and a liability

I have to say it's a pleasure watching you lads play fluent attacking football exactly the way the game should be played

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm sure everything has been flogged to death at this stage. Connolly was getting digs yesterday but on too many occasions he over stepped the Mark. The no2 eo was marking him knew what to do. It's well advertised. He deserves the apparent 12 weeks he's gonna get for the push on the linesman. Sick of it at this stage.

On the match though, i really enjoyed it. I love a good tactical battle and​ was very impressed with what Carlow attempted to do. And I'm looking forward to seeing them in the next round.

Murphy (no 9) was a revelation. Absolutely brilliant performance. Deserves all the plaudits that come his way.

We have lots to work on but we couldn't have gotten a better match for the first day out.

Murphy (no 9) was a revelation. Absolutely brilliant performance. Deserves all the plaudits that come his way.

He has a great kick on him when he's coming out of a tackle like M Murphy or MDMA it's inspiring stuff alright, when others are bunched having beaten the tackle he had a spare burst of speed in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Have had a feeling for a while that this terrific run is about to come to a halt, wheels beginning to fall off I’m afraid. Not usually a pessimist but if I’m right they owe us absolutely nothing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

Have had a feeling for a while that this terrific run is about to come to a halt, wheels beginning to fall off I’m afraid. Not usually a pessimist but if I’m right they owe us absolutely nothing!!!

Squareball wrote: »

They need to come up with something new. Otherwise they will be dragged into the gutter all year long. Three in a row, and five in seven years would establish them as possibly best team of all time so it is worth a gamble. Have become too cautious imho.

Other teams will stoop to anything at this stage to stop them. Need more of the badness of the 76/77 teams perhaps. Take no sh1t.

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote:
    Other teams will stoop to anything at this stage to stop them. Need more of the badness of the 76/77 teams perhaps. Take no sh1t.

Have you strong opinions on this Bonniedog?

:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, I know that people are saying that we've been saving ourselves for later in the year, and that we've brought in a few new faces, but I just don't see us clicking at all. Perhaps that will change, but so far, the excuses for our poor performances are the same excuses that you hear from teams that are about to get beaten, and then afterwards people say that they saw it coming because of the poor performances.

Really hope that they turn it around, but as you say, these guys owe us nothing, they've given us a two in a row, and did it with style as well.

Have you strong opinions on this Bonniedog?

:)

Can take it or leave it, it's only a game :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

As a non-dub, that's an incredibly pessimistic point of view. My god man, look at what you are up against, you see them in a better state than Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

How did we think McCarthy did at midfield lads?

He'll do more than just fill a gap. But apparently MD back training.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Slattsy wrote: »

One of the few players who actually ran right at the carlow defence..and to good effect

I'm sure gavin was furious with him :o

I thought McCarthy played well but was he in traditional midfield role?

Be great if MDM is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Gael85

Slattsy wrote: »

McCarthy was wing back on Saturday. Kilkenny was in midfield with Fenton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭corny

Bambi wrote: »
    One of the few players who actually ran right at the carlow defence..and to good effect

I'm sure gavin was furious with him :o

I'm not sure he played midfield though. Sure i saw Lowndes and Fitzsimons spend more time following their men in the opposition half than at corner back. Carlow kind of forced that haphazard stuff with their gameplan. I did notice loads of conversations between Connolly and McCarthy in the second half. Lots of pointing, it seemed they were discussing positioning at length.....where one goes if the other does x or y etc. Might be a permanent gig for him.

Just as an aside.....McCarthy has to be one of the most fluent runners i've ever seen. I don't know how he does it but his timing of hitting the mans shoulder at the exact moment he needs to is unrivalled. The chap just breezes onto every pass at full pace without ever checking stride. Its amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Yeah well maybe Saturday probably wasn't the place to judge.

Thought he did well myself. But sure the lads were all over the place, don't think anyone had an outright position, per se.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement