Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamela - Our record signing

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hope he continues this good form for the rest of the season,great for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Well I'm strongly considering putting him in my fantasy football team so I'm sure his form will fall apart immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Well I'm strongly considering putting him in my fantasy football team so I'm sure his form will fall apart immediately.

And I'm putting Adebayor into my Fantasy Island Team :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

https://streamable.com/jhoo

For those who missed his goal against Monaco.

Is Lamela 's form been affected by Erikson's return to the team??

His recent run of good form coincided with a run in team playing centrally behind Kane as Erikson was out injured. Now he's back on the wing making daft tackles again. He was better today but last week he was awful like before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Is Lamela 's form been affected by Erikson's return to the team??

His recent run of good form coincided with a run in team playing centrally behind Kane as Erikson was out injured. Now he's back on the wing making daft tackles again. He was better today but last week he was awful like before.

Eriksen should be on left not behind Kane. I saw stats showing he is more effective from left (problem is he does not track back at all) and Lamela should play number 10, he was playing quite well at this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Deserves a tremendous amount of credit. I couldn't stand him, wanted rid. Works his bóllocks off. Made himself an integral part of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Glebee

Was last night his first game in a while???

Glebee wrote: »
    Was last night his first game in a while???

Played last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Great to see him get a hat trick, worked hard all night, looks to have packed on a bit of muscle too. Looks so much more solid than last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Great to see him get a hat trick, worked hard all night, looks to have packed on a bit of muscle too. Looks so much more solid than last season.

I had a feeling that he was going to bulk like Bale did too.

I Kane see Kane putting on serious muscle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

But will he start against Newcastle?

Dier (presuming he's fit). Alli

Sun - Moose - Eriksen

Kaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

But will he start against Newcastle?

Dier (presuming he's fit). Alli

Sun - Moose - Eriksen

Kaner.
    Think I'd rather see lamela over son, but it's nice to have the choice. On the other hand I think lamela is better in the middle.

Think I'd rather see lamela over son, but it's nice to have the choice. On the other hand I think lamela is better in the middle.

He was wasteful last night. I don't mind a player smashing the ball from outside the box, once its near the target. His weren't.

Lamela is a different player through the middle. Eriksen is ineffective out wide, he could do with bulking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Id rather Moussa alongside Dier, and play Alli further forward, like he's been doing lately.

I also think Lamela is better than Son these days. Son makes bad decisions. I think it's a confidence thing with players, he's so desperate to do well that he gets excited when he gets within 30 yards of goal and thinks he has to have a shot. Lets call it the Townsend Effect. Lamela is only starting to recover from it now, he was badly afflicted for the last 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ormus wrote: »
    Lets call it the Townsend Effect.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Has had a great season our record signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

irishmover wrote: »

Some change since his beginning, wouldnt ever want to see the team line up without him now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

irishmover wrote: »

He has so many brilliant aspects to his game. It's his work rate, he's constantly harassing to get the ball back. Provides great cover for the full back. Constantly pushing forward when we have the ball. Crafty enough to break through defences and fast enough to break the line.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great finish today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lamela MOTM today,hope he stays fit for all of the remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Good to see him getting the recognition he deserved.

A tireless worker with skill to boot.

Hope he has many more years with us.

I’m a big fan of his :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Read a stat somewhere yesterday that Lamela has attempted more tackles than any other player in epl this season. (Attempted that is, not completed). He's like our version of Dirk Kuyt in some ways ... with more skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaDerv

Technically he's a very good player. His finish was fantastic today and his delivery not only for the goal but for other set pieces were excellent. But he is far from the complete player deserving huge praise. For instance that miss today could have proved very costly. When it was 0-0.

That aside as a winger or inside forward he doesn't offer enough going forward from open play for me. His passing is suspect at times as his decision making. He tries to make difficult passes instead of the easier option and retain possession. We say he has bags of skill but to what end? He rarely takes players on and passes backwards or across the pitch way too often. I'm not even sure is he quick because he's not direct enough when it comes to running at defences.

We have seen glimpses of his talent. Like against City, that pass to Eriksen was genius. But compare him to similar players in the league and the obvious one is Mahrez. IMO they try to play a similar game but Mahrez is miles more effective. Lamela doesn't strike fear into defences as soon as he picks up the ball. Eriksen isnt the fastest player in the team but when he runs at defenders it causes problems, creates space and with that opportunities.

For me, he is a very frustrating player. As much as I think he has talent and is technically one of the best players in the squad, if there are certain aspects of his game missing he will never be the player we hoped. It's not for a lack of opportunities either. Son would love the amount of game time Lamela is given. Chadders is resigned to being an impact sub at this stage. Obviously I'd love to see Lamela become a world class winger. Honestly though I think he will always flatter to deceive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Couldn't disagree more about your last part. Lamela was very weak and lost when he signed. He looked exactly like what you were saying until this season.

He's had an excellent season this season. Has been pivotal to our success. Kane has missed a number of very easy chances. It happens. I don't see it as an issue.

You can tell he's driven, has desire to win and wants to pull on the Spurs shirt these days. I for one cannot wait to see him continue to get better in the coming season. It won't be another Bale story but it's not overly dissimilar.

Advertisement