Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamela - Our record signing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

Hatch99 wrote: »
    There is no question he has been garbage since he signed for Spurs...for 30m quid, he's been shocking. What have you seen to indicate that he's world class?? 1/2 pieces of magic in 1 and a bit seasons.
    Yes last season was a nightmare for him, I'll give him that, but even so far this season, he has done next to nothing. Gives the ball away constantly, was the cause of vital goals against us against Arsenal and City.

What would you give him out of 10, 3 or 4??

One more thing, I have seen him plenty of times so fcuk off with those comments ;)

P.S. I'd love him to be a success, but we have been too nice for long enough with fellas like him, bit of honesty does no harm.

Well so far this year he has scored a goal which is already a strong candidate for goal of the year, and he has got 4 assists in the league which for a lad who is only just now finding his feet in a new team (yes, I'm discounting last year entirely) is good going, And as I said before I can only see him improving.

What I've seen to indicate he's world class is a combination of things. Watching him play and seeing how technically superior he is to virtually every other spurs player on the pitch, again, with the exception of Eriksen. Watching him play in the flesh and that feeling you get when he's on the ball knowing that he can create moments of magic at a moments notice. Of course these are all subjective things and if we were to look at this entirely objectively and look solely at the stats - no goals this year and only 4 assists- we might conclude he is in fact "garbage". However, football has never been based solely on facts and if you get to go to White Hart Lane any time soon to see him play I have no doubt you would get the same feeling that I get when I watch Lamela play, the lad has something special.

If none of what I've said above convinces you to give him another chance, please watch the video below.

As I've said before the lad is obviously world class and those highlights from his last season at Roma shows that. And if you think that those highlights from Roma are going to be the highlights of his career, I'm sorry but I simply disagreee, his best bits are yet to come and I'm hopeful we'll see that soon from him in the premiership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I remember Ronaldo being roundly dismissed after his first season at utd, heres hoping Lamela can turn it around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

mushykeogh wrote: »
    I remember Ronaldo being roundly dismissed after his first season at utd, heres hoping Lamela can turn it around as well.
    yep… so we can sell him on to madrid and avail of that 'special relationship' our great chairman done so well to set up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

SeaDaily wrote: »
    If none of what I've said above convinces you to give him another chance, please watch the video below.

Careful now, one fancy youtube clip does not a world class player make.
    yep… so we can sell him on to madrid and avail of that 'special relationship' our great chairman done so well to set up :(

Positive note..... hmmmm..... :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Well so far this year he has scored a goal which is already a strong candidate for goal of the year, and he has got 4 assists in the league which for a lad who is only just now finding his feet in a new team (yes, I'm discounting last year entirely) is good going, And as I said before I can only see him improving.

What I've seen to indicate he's world class is a combination of things. Watching him play and seeing how technically superior he is to virtually every other spurs player on the pitch, again, with the exception of Eriksen. Watching him play in the flesh and that feeling you get when he's on the ball knowing that he can create moments of magic at a moments notice. Of course these are all subjective things and if we were to look at this entirely objectively and look solely at the stats - no goals this year and only 4 assists- we might conclude he is in fact "garbage". However, football has never been based solely on facts and if you get to go to White Hart Lane any time soon to see him play I have no doubt you would get the same feeling that I get when I watch Lamela play, the lad has something special.

As I've said before the lad is obviously world class and those highlights from his last season at Roma shows that. And if you think that those highlights from Roma are going to be the highlights of his career, I'm sorry but I simply disagreee, his best bits are yet to come and I'm hopeful we'll see that soon from him in the premiership.

1 goal and 4 assists is good going :eek: give it over, it's an awful return.
    Finding his feet in a new team :eek:he's at the club since the summer of lst year.

Trying to convince me with a youtube video :D laughable

P.S. I hope he turns out to be a star, but what I have said is just my opinion on what I have seen so far.

• Advertisement

Trying to convince me with a youtube video :D laughable

Alright then, be a dick.

Alright then, be a dick.

Harsh mate...it's just opinions..

Harsh mate...it's just opinions..

Exactly, it's just opinions, so it was a bit of a dick move to say my opinion was laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

fight fight fight fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

1 goal and 4 assists is good going :eek: give it over, it's an awful return.

Hatch, in fairness you're a big Andros Townsend fan who has a far worse record than Lamela.

Last season Townsend made 33 appearances, had 3 goals and 0 assists.

Lamela made 17 appearances, had 1 goal and 3 assists.

This season, Townsend has made 12 appearances, scored 1 goal and made 3 assists.

Lamela has made 16 appearances, scored 3 goals and made 5 assists.

There's no arguing over who I would want in my team.

• Advertisement

Setting the bar at Andros, we have a new low:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Setting the bar at Andros, we have a new low:(:(

No, no, no.... I wasn't setting the bar low. For argument's sake, I was merely comparing Lamela to a preferred winger of Hatch.

I'm not setting any bar anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

lol, I knew that was coming (setting the bar at Townsend):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Lamela is better than Townsend - no contest

Exactly, it's just opinions, so it was a bit of a dick move to say my opinion was laughable.

Name calling on a forum, get the boat pal :D
    Hatch, in fairness you're a big Andros Townsend fan who has a far worse record than Lamela.

Last season Townsend made 33 appearances, had 3 goals and 0 assists.

Lamela made 17 appearances, had 1 goal and 3 assists.

This season, Townsend has made 12 appearances, scored 1 goal and made 3 assists.

Lamela has made 16 appearances, scored 3 goals and made 5 assists.

Silly comparison.
    Lamela cost us millions and millions, should I not expect a little more from him than the abysmal performances we have seen so far? You can try and dress up his goal against the pub team and the odd good assist if you want, if you think that's good enough, that's your perogative, all opinions at the end of the day.

I have gone on record as defending Townsend, he's one of our own. He's at the club since he was a kid, and I'd love him to succeed at Spurs (albeit he hasn't done enough so far) but all most on here wanted to do was call him names and abuse him, fcuking typical Spurs fans, berating one of their own. If he was a scouser playing at Anfield, it would be the opposite.

Anyway, I never wanted to compare the 2, that was your call, all pretty pointless. I have gone on record as saying I'd love Lamela to succeed, but based on what I have seen last season and especially this season so far, he has been poor. Does he have the heart to turn it around, only time will tell...

I see Lamalla came on as as a 62 minute sub for Argentiana tonight in their 1-0 loss to Portugal. He got booked but dont know if he done anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

When you buy a 20 year old for big money, he usually won't be worth that money straight away. Ronaldo for United is a prime example. He was a fancy dan winger with no end product for several years before he clicked.

Buying a young player is always a gamble. They aren't the finished article. You are gambling that they will eventually develop into A top class player.

People saying he hasn't looked like he's worth 30m so far just don't get it.

He may never be worth 30m, but we just don't know yet. IT IS TOO SOON.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not like it's just Lamela playing poorly. No one is playing well at the moment. If the team improves, so will he.

That's a big if from what we've seen this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not like it's just Lamela playing poorly. No one is playing well at the moment. If the team improves, so will he.

That's a big if from what we've seen this year though.

Exactly.... When Modric signed in the summer for £16m ...we started with 2 points from 8 games.... Harry came in and we all thought that the likes of Papa Boupa Dioup, Distin, Utaka etc will come with him cos Harry likes big fookers...Luka was deemed as a misfit, too light for the Prem.....But as the song goes.................

And if, you know, your history.............. its enuf to make your heart go ........
    Im hoping Lamela will come good, but i do think hes very frustrating..... even his attempt of a stepover, is useless, and he gives the ball away a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

irishmover wrote: »
    Bale.

Bale showed a hell of a lot more than this fella even at the start.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

tom1ie wrote: »

rose tinted glasses you wear :cool:

tom1ie wrote: »

I thought Bale was very poor and the start. Only the last two seasons he came into his own. It was a lucky thing is say we did not ship him out.

I was told it's too soon to judge him???
    I was told I don't get it???
    I was told he's world class???

Approaching Xmas in his 2nd season and has still done nothing in a Spurs jersey. How long do I have to wait??

Gives the ball away constantly, pulls out of tackles, no heart....30m????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I was told it's too soon to judge him???
    I was told I don't get it???
    I was told he's world class???

Approaching Xmas in his 2nd season and has still done nothing in a Spurs jersey. How long do I have to wait??

Gives the ball away constantly, pulls out of tackles, no heart....30m????

Until the benefit of hindsight either vindicates you or ridicules you.

Until the benefit of hindsight either vindicates you or ridicules you.

I hope he turns it around... but so far he has been awful, doesn't even work hard..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

He is not a premier league player and should be trying his tricks in Italy or Spain. He is not the man for a London derby on a Wednesday night in December.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    He is not a premier league player and should be trying his tricks in Italy or Spain. He is not the man for a London derby on a Wednesday night in December.

Was crazy playing him tonight. I have criticized Chadli in the past but on form surely he should have started if even for his size and strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Was crazy playing him tonight. I have criticized Chadli in the past but on form surely he should have started if even for his size and strength.

Agreed, he should never have started

• Advertisement

I hope he turns it around... but so far he has been awful, doesn't even work hard..

He's only 21. Bale was the same age when he broke through. Mason is older than Lamela. I'm willing to cut the kid some slack, but only some.

Shouldn't have started. Home games is what he needs.

Advertisement