Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamela - Our record signing

Options
  • 28-12-2013 5:44pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭

I think he deserves a thread all to himself seeing as he's the most expensive player our beloved club has ever bought.

What do you think so far? He must have talent somewhere in his locker, or does he :confused:
    Baldini thinks he's the business.
    Totti quoted as saying how good he felt he was.
    Someone on here quoted Maradona as saying how good he felt he was.
    Rated very highly in Argentina apparently.

But yet we haven't seen any of it. Let's be honest, if you were to rate him out of 10 since he signed, he'd be a 3 or 4. I'm not having a go at him, because he's young, hardly has a word of English and it's been a completely different culture that he's moved in to, but you'd have thought we'd have seen glimpses of 'magic' but we haven't. He's played plenty of Europa minutes and had chances in the league too, but I have seen very little to make me feel confident that he will explode and become a start like we all want.

What do you all think, a dud or a star in the making...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

He looks like a very good player from what I've seen, certainly technically very good anyway. For some reason it just really hasn't happened for him so far, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't come good eventually. Would easily rather him to Townsend, Chadli or Sigurdsson on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

At 21 he's still very young and the premier league is very different to the Argentinian League and Serie A. Much more physical than he would be used to. At lot of young foreign players take a while to come to terms with (same could be said for Cristian Eriksen). Add to this the language barrier.

Look at Ronaldo, he had a half decent season at Sporting and United snapped him up for €15m, that was ten years ago and it took a few seasons before people realised how good he could be. Lamela scored 15 goals in Serie A last season, he obviously has bags of talent. Ardilles waxes lyrical about him too.

I'd have plenty of reason to believe that this young lad will be an outstanding player for us, just maybe not this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Maradona, the man who claimed Jonas Guttierez was the first name on his argentina team sheets ... :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

At 21 he's still very young and the premier league is very different to the Argentinian League and Serie A. Much more physical than he would be used to. At lot of young foreign players take a while to come to terms with (same could be said for Cristian Eriksen). Add to this the language barrier.

Look at Ronaldo, he had a half decent season at Sporting and United snapped him up for €15m, that was ten years ago and it took a few seasons before people realised how good he could be. Lamela scored 15 goals in Serie A last season, he obviously has bags of talent. Ardilles waxes lyrical about him too.

I'd have plenty of reason to believe that this young lad will be an outstanding player for us, just maybe not this season.

Spot on, hopefully I look back over this thread and say what was I ever worried about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

He'll come good, a project for next year, give him time to settle. Reminds me a lot of the young CR when he first signed for Utd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Rumours of him going out on loan in January are not true thank God,I thought he looked really good when he came on the last day,I would like to see him get a good run in the team to get him settled in cos he has great potential.

Picture of Lamela training alone on the WHL pitch after the WBA game. Hungry.

venbxy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm waiting for him to click. There are signs that he could blossom, but so far not enough to warrant a £20m fee let alone £30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Has he played 2 consecutive games yet? Don't think he has. Needs a run of games before he can be properly judged but that could be preseason next summer before he gets that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He looked very good when he came on against Stoke.

Has had very little game time so far this season to really allow proper judgement. Very very disappointed with how his career at the club has started so far.

On the otherside out of all of our new signings the biggest let down for me has been Eriksen. He has been pretty woeful up until now with some minor glimpses of the player we seen trash Man United with Ajax. Don't know what's wrong with him....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Has he played 2 consecutive games yet? Don't think he has. Needs a run of games before he can be properly judged but that could be preseason next summer before he gets that.

If you added up all the minutes he's played it'd work out at 3 and a half games. One full one against city which lets be honest was a write off for the whole starting 11 so basically he's had minutes here and there to prove his worth.

until he starts a full 5 games consecutively I won't be judging him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

irishmover wrote: »
    On the otherside out of all of our new signings the biggest let down for me has been Eriksen. He has been pretty woeful up until now with some minor glimpses of the player we seen trash Man United with Ajax. Don't know what's wrong with him....

He's starting to come good now I hope, excellent performance yesterday in a big game at Olt Trafford.

I agree he hasn't looked fit this season though, lacking stamina or something.

As for Lamela, he definitely has the talent and I love the thought of him training alone off his own bat. Just hope he has the patience and confidence to wait til he settles in England and that the club don't decide to cut their losses and ship him back to Italy at a reduced price.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Needs game time, doesn't have to start games but bring him on, he has loads of talent, he will be a footballing suoerstar, hopefully its for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Not very impressed so far, but he hasn't really been given a chance.

When he does play, I'd like to see him on the left, with Lennon on the right

It's his more natural side

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

.. I suppose the risk is that he might do very little over the next 12 months due to lack of playing time/injuries etc and before you know it we end up with a very very expense Dos Santos on our hands.

Hopefully we can sit tight and give him the time he needs but DL isn't exactly know for that so we might end up shipping him off for 10-15M after the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

give the lad a chance, 21 years of age, learning the language, new league, new team, he will come good

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

.. I suppose the risk is that he might do very little over the next 12 months due to lack of playing time/injuries etc and before you know it we end up with a very very expense Dos Santos on our hands.

Hopefully we can sit tight and give him the time he needs but DL isn't exactly know for that so we might end up shipping him off for 10-15M after the world cup.

Thats my line!!!;)

hugo29 wrote: »
    give the lad a chance, 21 years of age, learning the language, new league, new team, he will come good

The only problem here is the guy isn't being given a chance to play, he's being no worse than Siggy, Chadli, Holtby, Eriksen, townsend when he's being on the pitch, when he has come on he has shown plenty of skill, yes, he may not be up to speed yet but he is a much better option than Chadli, Holtby or siggy. eriksen has stepped it up in the last few games and I've no doubt Eric would as well if he was given a run in the team.

He doesn't have to start but give him game time.

Dos Santos was too concerned with partying than training. Lamela appears more focused, particularly as he was pictured training alone on the WHL pitch after the West Brom game.

I'd also guess it's harder to get capped for the Argentinian side than the Mexican.

PS. GDS is having a good season (only 24yrs old still)..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Hope Lamela starts this weekend he's shown himself to be very good at linking up with other players but obviously still adjusting to the move look how long it took Sandro to break into the team and I thought he was very good apart from one slip up in a game against Bolton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'd really like to see Lamela behind Soldado if Adebayor is out. Lamela's long-term future for us is through the middle.

Eriksen has looked effective coming in from the left. It could really gel.

I'd really like to see Lamela behind Soldado if Adebayor is out. Lamela's long-term future for us is through the middle.

Eriksen has looked effective coming in from the left. It could really gel.

I agree, or next best option on the right, he's not a classic winger.

Lamela is out injured for the FA cup game with a thigh injury.

We have some injury list at the moment, top of the table on Physioroom;

Siggy
    Holtby
    Ade
    Paulinho
    Defoe
    Townsend
    Sandro
    Kaboul
    Verts

Add a couple of defenders and a keeper and that's a bloody good team! Apparently Ade, Holtby and Siggy are up for late fitness tests.

SuprSi wrote: »

Siggy
    Holtby
    Ade
    Paulinho
    Defoe
    Townsend
    Sandro
    Kaboul
    Verts

Add a couple of defenders and a keeper and that's a bloody good team! Apparently Ade, Holtby and Siggy are up for late fitness tests.
    Ade supposedly just cramped up really badly and it's gone down now, I'm really not surprised not playing competitively and then playing 4 times in 11 days would be rough for anyone.

I'm not starting a match thread as we never win when I do...
    Tim on team news: "Jermain, Lewis and Andros are all back in training, which is good news. I spoke to Ade after United and he said he cramped up in all areas, but thankfully it has settled down and he's ready to perform. Sandro and Younes will hopefully be back in training next week."

Erik (thigh), Kyle Naughton (ankle, hamstring), Paulinho (ankle), Gylfi (calf) and Jan (ankle) are all out.

Siggy
    Holtby
    Ade
    Paulinho
    Defoe
    Townsend
    Sandro
    Kaboul
    Verts

The shocking thing is we're top of the list and all the players who are out are relative first teamers.

Some of the other teams' lists have a few barely squad players.

I'm not starting a match thread as we never win when I do...

Haha. I decided to not start the match thread anymore after we lost a couple early in the season.

Who started the Howard Webb match thread..... Sorry... the United match thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Haha. I decided to not start the match thread anymore after we lost a couple early in the season.

Who started the Howard Webb match thread..... Sorry... the United match thread?

Me!;)

• Advertisement

Me!;)

I think you've nominated yourself as the designated match thread starter in that case!

Advertisement