Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamela - Our record signing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I remember alright:

1990 - 3rd
    1991 - 8th and FA cup
    1992 - 16th
    1993 - 8th
    1994 - 18th
    1995 - 6th
    1996 - 7th
    1997 - 9th
    1998 - 15th
    1999 - 10th and League Cup

So that's:
    2 cups
    3 relegation battles
    1 top 4
    7 mid-table finishes

ENIC's years:
    2001 - 10th
    2002 - 10th
    2003 - 13th
    2004 - 15th
    2005 - 10th
    2006 - 5th
    2007 - 5th
    2008 - 12th and League Cup
    2009 - 8th
    2010 - 4th
    2011 - 5th
    2012 - 4th
    2013 - 5th
    2014 - 6th

So that's:
    1 trophy
    2 relegation battles
    2 4ths
    3 5ths
    the rest are meaningless top half finishes

we peaked under ENIC in 2010/11 and we're now on the slippery slope back to where we started.

genuine question: do you see ENIC turning this around and taking us back into the CL or winning us a cup ?

Ha well ok, you've skewed it as much as possible. The 90s has 7 mid table finishes, but you call them meaningless top half finishes under ENIC.

Your relegation battles are worse finishes in the 90s. Some of them were genuine scares, which isn't true since 2000.

Also the pattern should tell you a lot. Spurs have shown massive improvement once ENIC managed to clean the club up from the 90s mess. Only twice outside the top 6 since 2005 and not at all since 2009.

That's conclusive evidence that we are a much much better team than in the 90s, without even needing to mention that City and Chelsea have financially doped their way ahead of us.

I think It's gonna be very hard to break into top 4 on a regular basis but if we keep being well run it may happen. We'll definitely win the odd cup. There's a lotta luck in the cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

'better' is subjective Ormus

We won more in the 90's than under ENIC but our average league position is better under ENIC - less relegation fights under ENIC - not much in it really. We have been pretty disappointing and frustrating overall since winning the cup in 1991 in my opinion.

The league table argument is pointless unless it leads to something, for example, what's really the difference between 5th and 12th ? There's no glory in either, just a different amount of prize money. It's all pretty much the same. It least 12th don't get that stupid mickey mouse Thurs night Europa rubbish. That seems like a prize in it's self!

ENIC's first 4 seasons were disastrous, Then they oversaw a period of improvement (which I give them credit for) peaking with CL qualification and now we are pretty crap again and have been for around 18 months. They have brought us fully circle and really should fcuk off now and let someone else have a go at it.

I look forward to the day when they piss off so we can all move forward with owners who are more focused on bringing proper glory back to this great club. Obviously a change in ownership does not guarantee success, but at least I would have a new founded hope, and hope is something that ENIC has destroyed for me and thousands of other Spurs people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

'better' is subjective Ormus

We won more in the 90's than under ENIC but our average league position is better under ENIC - less relegation fights under ENIC - not much in it really. We have been pretty disappointing and frustrating overall since winning the cup in 1991 in my opinion.

The league table argument is pointless unless it leads to something, for example, what's really the difference between 5th and 12th ? There's no glory in either, just a different amount of prize money. It's all pretty much the same. It least 12th don't get that stupid mickey mouse Thurs night Europa rubbish. That seems like a prize in it's self!

ENIC's first 4 seasons were disastrous, Then they oversaw a period of improvement (which I give them credit for) peaking with CL qualification and now we are pretty crap again and have been for around 18 months. They have brought us fully circle and really should fcuk off now and let someone else have a go at it.

I look forward to the day when they piss off so we can all move forward with owners who are more focused on bringing proper glory back to this great club. Obviously a change in ownership does not guarantee success, but at least I would have a new founded hope, and hope is something that ENIC has destroyed for me and thousands of other Spurs people.

What if we get Vincent Tan....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

What if we get Vincent Tan....

no thanks :)

whoever they are they're gonna have to come up with the guts of a billion before ENIC will speak to them

Levy will do very for himself out of this investment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

no thanks :)

whoever they are they're gonna have to come up with the guts of a billion before ENIC will speak to them

Levy will do very for himself out of this investment

Just because they value the club and stadium (that's not built) at a billion, doesn't mean they'll not listen to offers. I'd bet they'd snap the hand of whoever offers 300m. Anyway we're dragging this thread off topic, this is the Lamela thread, not the Daniel Levy/Enic one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hatch, I'm a massive optimist and I try to give players the benefit of the doubt.... but I'm seriously starting to lose faith in Lamela.

People mention that we shouldn't judge him based on the massive transfer fee, but I have no doubt that if Lamela was bought for £2m then there's no way he would be starting as many games as he does.

He's not suited to the English game and I'm not seeing any attempt on his part to adapt. Bad challenges, bad passes and just a constant level of bad decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hatch, I'm a massive optimist and I try to give players the benefit of the doubt.... but I'm seriously starting to lose faith in Lamela.

People mention that we shouldn't judge him based on the massive transfer fee, but I have no doubt that if Lamela was bought for £2m then there's no way he would be starting as many games as he does.

He's not suited to the English game and I'm not seeing any attempt on his part to adapt. Bad challenges, bad passes and just a constant level of bad decision making.

Bit of a joke yesterday in fairness

Towards the end of the game, he made a nice little dink in midfield to get past his man and then hit a woeful pass that went straight to the defender. It was terrrible stuff

mickman wrote: »

Towards the end of the game, he made a nice little dink in midfield to get past his man and then hit a woeful pass that went straight to the defender. It was terrrible stuff

I just had a quick look on the Fantasy Football there.... guess who has the must Premier League assists for us?

Yep, you guessed it - Lamela. He has 4, the next best is two (Adebayor).

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

mickman wrote: »

In total agreement here. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him even more time to "settle" but that time has passed now and the truth is that fundamentally he is not really a team player. He is extremely selfish and more interested in clever flicks and tricks than creating real chances, all of which I could probably live with if he was actually scoring/assisting regularly. My own view is that we ship him back to Italy for as much as we can get while his stock is relatively high and re-invest that money in getting someone in who will play for the team, someone like Schneiderlin.

awkwardboy wrote: »
    My own view is that we ship him back to Italy for as much as we can get while his stock is relatively high and re-invest that money in getting someone in who will play for the team, someone like Schneiderlin.

The problem is, his stock is worth way less than when we bought him. It could be an idea to loan him back to an Italian club fro the rest of the season, hope he does well and then try and recoup the £30m based on his performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Premiership isn't going to work out for twinkle toes.
    Mediocre, it's hard to describe him...just blah

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Al 25

Lamela is a DONKEY and I've stuck up for soldado in the past but he is a dud .
    Sell sell sell SELL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

this guy has had enough time , he was muck last night.

We were down one nil and he gave away the ball on the wing , his response was to try and jump all over the fiorentina player but he still got away and lloris made a top save.

get rid for maybe 15 mill if we can get it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

He's improved his work rate immensely, but still doesn't do even nearly enough to warrant a place. As much as i hate saying it, Townsend should start ahead of him. Maybe his time on the bench will have improved his game.

He's improved no doubt on his first season. I thought we signed a winger though? He's hardly ever out there.

He's Argentine, so probably favored by Pochettino? Games have passed him by, having not made any contribution, yet still on the pitch. I'd be embarrassed.

Cash the chips in, buy a winger.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

:o:o:o
    nearly 2 seasons on and still fcuking brutal.
    Has made little or no impact on games that I can remember apart from the goal against the pub team and the odd assist.

Not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Loses the ball 4 times out 5 as far as I can see. Tries to do too much...could be good if he focused on ye simple things and ran more direct

Lamela wants Tottenham stay

Linked with a move elsewhere, Erik Lamela insists Tottenham is the club for him.
    Tottenham midfielder Erik Lamela is happy at the club and sees his future at White Hart Lane.
    Lamela, 23, has been linked with a move away, with reports suggesting the Argentine is no longer in Mauricio Pochettino's plans.
    But the former Roma man said his future was at Tottenham.
    "I obviously see myself here [in Tottenham]," Lamela said.
    "Those questions start to be usual but I am very good here and I see myself in here."
    Tottenham sit sixth in the Premier League with four matches remaining, with their chances of qualifying for the UEFA Champions League slim.
    Lamela said there was still work to do for his team.
    "The evaluation is positive. We still have to finish the Premier League," he said.
    "It will be good to gain access to the European competition but nothing is decided yet so we better wait."
    As for his chances of being picked in Argentina's Copa America squad, Lamela said: "Everyone works towards this goal, but nobody knows who will be on the list yet.
    "I have done my part as I keep training everyday in order to improve."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

All I can see is he's 23 and wants to work hard.

I think I'll give him a chance to prove himself next season, if he's still here.

I'm sure he works very hard in training and is a good lad, but we bought him as a winger, yet he obviously doesn't wanna play out there. So the only other position is behind the striker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I hope he stays, with the assumption that he'll get better. His work rate has improved massively, and he has 6 assists while not playing that much, so i wouldn't give up on him just yet. As above though, he needs to stop coming in as often, though i'm not sure that's his fault. Chadli does the exact same on the other wing, so it must be Poch giving them a roaming role.

Les be honest, he's been rubbish since signing. 2 seasons on and he's still to make his mark as a tottenham player. Like all spurs players, I'd love him to turn it around but it doesn't look good so far. Massive disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

if he hadnt got the price tag around his neck plenty would be saying hes not good enough. Looking at what he has done in his time here he's been brutal.

But put aside the price tag, he's been awful no matter what

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hatch99 wrote: »
    But put aside the price tag, he's been awful no matter what

So was Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Les be honest, he's been rubbish since signing. 2 seasons on and he's still to make his mark as a tottenham player. Like all spurs players, I'd love him to turn it around but it doesn't look good so far. Massive disappointment

Hadn't he an awful back injury, slipped disc or something? I thought his goal against Burnley would be a turning point. He needs to bulk up a small bit and start being more direct

irishmover wrote: »
    So was Bale.

You telling me he'll be as good as bale? Hope your right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,710 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

There have been plenty of games this year where he couldn't pass a ball straight to a player 10 foot away ... 10 foot away... over and over again.

And he takes home 70k each week for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

He provides almost zero threat going forward which is worrying after two seasons now. That said, I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. I think there are other areas of the team which need to be addressed first before selling him. Wholesale changes to the squad while great on paper rarely, if ever, work out for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

His first season was a write off with injury, very little English too then I think. He's already on his third manager. I think he deserves a chance for another season.
    Needs to get his strength up for sure.

I'd even like to see him played more centrally to see how he looked.

Advertisement