Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay - New Development

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

kub wrote: »
    Costs a few bob to get a building demolished i imagine, there must be something planned.

Not necessarily. The building might have been deteriorating and repair works might have been needed to stop bits of it falling off, so demolishing it might have been the cheaper option in the medium-term. Also, empty abandoned buildings draw in gurriers, junkies and other undesirables, which might have lead to security being required, which gets quite expensive after a while.

In the short-term I don't think there's anything planned for the site. The dock is still quite busy, and currently there's nowhere for those ships to go until Ringaskiddy opens up quay space further down the harbour. So that could be four or five years yet. I also think developers are playing a 'wait and see' game with regard to the Docklands. It might yet become a Strategic Development Zone, or get some development incentive to kick start the redevelopment of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The docks might stay busy, Waterford Port are looking for judical review of the planning permission. They were one of the main objectors last time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

roundymac wrote: »
    The docks might stay busy, Waterford Port are looking for judical review of the planning permission. They were one of the main objectors last time round.

Whatever happens they won't stay busy. The size of vessel that can come that far upriver is dying out. It's move to deeper water or bust for the Port of Cork. It's a cynical move from the Port of Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

moyners wrote: »
    Whatever happens they won't stay busy. The size of vessel that can come that far upriver is dying out. It's move to deeper water or bust for the Port of Cork. It's a cynical move from the Port of Waterford.

Container and bulk vessels are getting larger and deeper.
    The river can only be dredged so low because of the Jack Lynch Tunnel so we have reached the limit in vessel size that can reach Tivoli or the city centre docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

The city centre docks are definitely being wound down, but it's hard to say how long it will be before they end. The handling facilities on Kennedy Quay will have to be replaced, and Ringaskiddy seems to be where they'll go.

AFAIK, Waterford has no bulk handling facilities, so the business won't go there. Waterford Port are probably objecting because they fear losing business to Cork - their port doesn't seem to be doing very well and is crippled by dredging costs. However Foynes is developing bulk handling facilities for ships up to Panamax size, so when their expansion is complete in about 4/5 years we might see handling moved to there. But that's just guesswork, I don't really know.

In the long-term I can see Foynes becoming the main port for the south and west of Ireland. About 10/15 years from now the roads to the port will be excellent, and it could well have a rail connection. Cork Port will also be very large, but further foreshore space in the lower harbour will become hard to find, and population pressures will probably see the Tivoli Docks redeveloped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Milex

Another update from my Saturday walk along the river.

https://goo.gl/photos/cG4kwvaKg7mHbjYaA

More Pictures, lots of glass panels have been installed, and the bridge is reopened.

https://goo.gl/photos/jgtj6r7bwjGh7TS7A

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

It's looking great I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

D'Agger wrote: »
    Mentioned in a post above - Odlums site was purchased, talks the new owner wanted to put a nightclub in there but given the prospect of having a canary wharf / Dublin dock styled business block down there means I doubt it'll happen.

There will absolutely be more development down that direction, it's only a matter of time.

The Odlums building has been earmarked for a 'cultural' use, at least by Cork City Council anyway, new owners might have other ideas. I always thought it would make a nice art gallery, a bit like the Tate Modern in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Odlums building has been earmarked for a 'cultural' use, at least by Cork City Council anyway, new owners might have other ideas. I always thought it would make a nice art gallery, a bit like the Tate Modern in London.
    Would be surprised if it didn't follow the model of the grand canal dock in Dublin - some offices, apartments, recreation area & shops etc

Still a long way off that happening obviously, still alot of mystery around what & when with that area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

http://afloat.ie/port-news/port-of-cork/item/29852-challenge-dropped-on-plans-for-cork-port
    Waterford Port have been told, "Drop your judical review", by the Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Milex wrote: »
    More Pictures, lots of glass panels have been installed, and the bridge is reopened.

It looks great. Thanks for the updates. Do you know when it's due to be finished? First half of next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I spotted a load of activity earlier so went for a closer look. The tower crane was being dismantled and the ground floor is nearly weather tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Water tight from water coming down or up?

Pictures from today, looks good.

https://goo.gl/photos/iFCp6LAEwricB4sWA

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Picture yesterday evening, some offices seam to be ready to use.
    Parking entrance is still worked on (lower right) otherwise it looks like a very nice office building.

https://goo.gl/photos/YgzhcSPc6iC636LY6

Picture yesterday evening, some offices seam to be ready to use.
    Parking entrance is still worked on (lower right) otherwise it looks like a very nice office building.

https://goo.gl/photos/YgzhcSPc6iC636LY6

They were doing work on the surrounding road last night i.e. sorting out the front of it. Drove past and it looks in great nick in fairness. It's flown up. Looking forward to seeing it in use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Paddico

Does anyone know what the story is with the Odlumns factory building. 
    A very fine structure but I thought there were big plans for this?

Article on it from last week re: calls for it to be developed. I think it eventually will, but not for a while

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/City-Hall-urged-to-act-on-Odlums-building-513cdcc5-d3a6-4649-99b8-f8c5ff22eeae-ds

Advertisement