Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay - New Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Isn't there already plenty of office space in the city? RDJ moved out of the city to Mahon Point, Apple plans to move 1,000 people to Holyhill, the Examiner building has plenty of vacancy.

While I admire their determination, it was excess like this that caused our economy to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Unnecessary, but I like it. :)

Even better if the O'Callaghan events center is built down the road from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

they could call the place along with the Elysian 'The empty quarter'

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

ninty9er wrote: »
    Isn't there already plenty of office space in the city? RDJ moved out of the city to Mahon Point, Apple plans to move 1,000 people to Holyhill, the Examiner building has plenty of vacancy.

While I admire their determination, it was excess like this that caused our economy to crash.

Are Apple vacating the Half Moon street office ?

I think the people involved in this project have done a great job attracting big companies to City Gate down in Mahon Point.

However, I would much prefer if they invested in the city centre instead. Anything that gets people back into the city is positive in my book. Hopefully they get the go ahead and attract some big companies into Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I like older industrial buildings but what's there needs to be shoved into the Lee. It would really expand the CBD outwards and enhance the already impressive Lapp's Quay area. I really can't see how there can be demand for the development as it's laid out above though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Michael.. wrote: »
    Are Apple vacating the Half Moon street office ?

Yes, once the new Hollyhill facility is completed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

they could call the place along with the Elysian 'The empty quarter'

Aldi could be going in there in the new year.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/aldi-to-take-up-residence-at-elysian-253285.html

2014 could be very good for the construction industry in Cork with the new prison,the event centre,Pairc ui Chaoimh all to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/aldi-to-take-up-residence-at-elysian-253285.html

2014 could be very good for the construction industry in Cork with the new prison,the event centre,Pairc ui Chaoimh all to start.

Seems pretty quiet around that area to be honest. Didn't think it would appeal to Aldi or any other supermarket chain for that matter. Good to see though. They obviously think that area has potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Isnt that the same site owen o Callaghan wants to build his event centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Hah, quite a drop in prestige from the wankfest that surrounded this buildings launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

ofcork wrote: »
    Isnt that the same site owen o Callaghan wants to build his event centre.

No.

It is you know just googled o callaghans proposed plans there,navigation house is beside both artists plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

It is you know just googled o callaghans proposed plans there,navigation house is beside both artists plans.

Actually, Albert Quay extends across the N27, and eastwards past The Sextant. What you're seeing in O'Callaghan's proposal is indeed Navigation House; however, what you're seeing in the JCD rendering is the very-similar Albert Quay House, which has already been redeveloped and incorporated into the Webworks Building.

Easily mistaken; such is the plethora of historical heritage buildings we have in Cork :D

You are spot on there although strangely on google street view,albert quay house has navigation house on it.

Michael.. wrote: »
    Seems pretty quiet around that area to be honest. Didn't think it would appeal to Aldi or any other supermarket chain for that matter. Good to see though. They obviously think that area has potential.

I guess the thing with Aldi and Lidl is that people travel to shop there for the prices, so they don't really have to worry about footfall from the surrounding area. For instance, I live not far from the Aldi in Ballyphehane and many people living in the City Centre will walk/bus it out there to do their shopping.

I guess for Aldi, The Elysian will give them a cheaper rent than somewhere right inside town, but it will be close enough to entice those who dwell in the city centre. Also with Lidl going into the cornmarket (cheap rent again), I guess Aldi felt they had to open up central as well. Only difference will be that Aldi will have customer parking available.

I guess the thing with Aldi and Lidl is that people travel to shop there for the prices, so they don't really have to worry about footfall from the surrounding area. For instance, I live not far from the Aldi in Ballyphehane and many people living in the City Centre will walk/bus it out there to do their shopping.

I guess for Aldi, The Elysian will give them a cheaper rent than somewhere right inside town, but it will be close enough to entice those who dwell in the city centre. Also with Lidl going into the cornmarket (cheap rent again), I guess Aldi felt they had to open up central as well. Only difference will be that Aldi will have customer parking available.

If you read the link I gave,they estimate the rent will be ~€400,000 a year.Nothing cheap about that.

If you read the link I gave,they estimate the rent will be ~€400,000 a year.Nothing cheap about that.

compared to a similar sized space on Patrick st or Grand Parade without customer parking, that is cheap.

Fair enough,I wouldn't be too up on commercial rent prices but that's a lot of bags of 15c vegtables,ha.

Fair enough,I wouldn't be too up on commercial rent prices but that's a lot of bags of 15c vegtables,ha.

it definitely is a lot regardless. and rates up on top of that :eek:

A lot of premises on Patrick St are ridiculously priced, that's why mothercare has been empty for so long and HMV as well until GD bit the bullet and went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

It looks mank.. sick of them not using the old buildings that are there already and spending a fortune on these new mank ones. No point to them building it twill be another waste of space. would be better putting something nice there for the community in the area or for kids use or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

just reading it why a office block that's stupid they cant fill the ones they have..fecking muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Milly33 wrote: »
    just reading it why a office block that's stupid they cant fill the ones they have..fecking muppets

There is a difference between office space and quality office space. Across from the proposed development is the city quarter it was full, untill the issue with Examiner but I doubt they will have much trouble filling it.

In relation to half moon I was informed Apple are keeping it even after Holly Hill is completed. While many developers ruined themselves and their bankers some continued to trade and make money.

The Elysian is now half full in the apartments, the commercial with the shop deal is completely full on the south side, the north side is half full and the west is empty, except for the old marketing suite, but from what I'm hearing that will change.

Is there parking available in the elysian for those who want to shop at the aldi when it opens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Is there parking available in the elysian for those who want to shop at the aldi when it opens?

There are a few hundred spaces in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Fantastic news, whats there at the moment is one of the citys biggest eyesores.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Great news alright... that area was really becoming a bit of an eye sore and was ideally placed for new development being adjacent to the City Hall, nearby hotels and Elysian complex. Hopefully its the start of things to come which will culminate in the Docklands development *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

CHealy wrote: »
    Fantastic news, whats there at the moment is one of the citys biggest eyesores.

Looks terrible alright.

exam201213AlbertQuay_large.jpg

Those buildings were all part of the old railway site,all new buildings look the same now though just all glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They've been doing some form of work in one of those buildings that are making way for this. I assume its part of the work for this?

Advertisement