Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay - New Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Its great to see development and construction on major projects begin in the city centre again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

rebs23 wrote: »
    Its great to see development and construction on major projects begin in the city centre again.

That area is going to be very busy for building with this project this year, the criminal courts building next year and a possibility of the conference centre also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That area is going to be very busy for building with this project this year, the criminal courts building next year and a possibility of the conference centre also.

Whats the plan there?

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Whats the plan there?

Car park behind DC building new Court house from what I have seen a mini version of what's in Dublin.

Car park behind DC building new Court house from what I have seen a mini version of what's in Dublin.

Cheers, any links to plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

rebs23 wrote: »

Another one for the city centre. Merchant's Quay to get a facelift and refit.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/merchants-quay-shopping-centre-is-to-be-redeveloped-290447.html

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/merchants-quay-shopping-centre-is-to-be-redeveloped-290447.html

The quayside is the big problem,Ugly as can be yet so much potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Great to see.

As said above, the (pictured) Patrick St. end is currently probably the best aspect of it! It's the quay-side that needs a refresh. Even just replacing the windows, and perhaps opening some of the quay-side units onto that street would make a big difference.

Also, since Parnell Place is getting such a face-lift, it would be good (if practical) if that end of the centre to be more than one big service entrance.

Most of my living-room view is of Merchant's Quay, so I hope they do a good job of it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Would also be nice is the bus station could be moved with the vacant space being turned into more retail space.

That side of Parnell Place has a real grotty feel with sex shops and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭thomil

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    The quayside is the big problem,Ugly as can be yet so much potential.

The big problem I see there is traffic. While I would certainly love to see the quayside spruced up like the front, that part of the building will still face a busy four lane road. Therefore, unless something drastic is done about that road, and the sidewalks in front of Merchant's Quay are significantly widened, opening some of the units onto that side, as suggested in another post, makes no real sense. I do agree that something needs to be done about the look of that part of the building, but I can see why it is low on the list of priorities.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

thomil wrote: »
    The big problem I see there is traffic. While I would certainly love to see the quayside spruced up like the front, that part of the building will still face a busy four lane road. Therefore, unless something drastic is done about that road, and the sidewalks in front of Merchant's Quay are significantly widened, opening some of the units onto that side, as suggested in another post, makes no real sense. I do agree that something needs to be done about the look of that part of the building, but I can see why it is low on the list of priorities.

They should pop in a cycle lane as well, tis not as if the traffic is bad in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Would also be nice is the bus station could be moved with the vacant space being turned into more retail space.

That side of Parnell Place has a real grotty feel with sex shops and the like.

Is retail space needed in the centre? I don't know. There are certainly lots of vacant units around the city centre now, though maybe it's a sign we need larger units, and lower rates! ;) I'd guess the station draws a lot of foot traffic over that direction, so it's helpful in that regard.

That side is a bit grotty alright - though personally I wouldn't have any problem with the sex shops. I'd be more worried about the run-down buildings. I heard a rumour that the building next to the bus station (ex sports shop) is being redeveloped as a big bar / restaurant, hope that's so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Am I correct in saying that the building across the road from the Sextant is the site for this development?

If so then did they clear down the quays just for the sake of it or is that in case the events centre gets the go ahead on the quays?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

D'Agger wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that the building across the road from the Sextant is the site for this development?

If so then did they clear down the quays just for the sake of it or is that in case the events centre gets the go ahead on the quays?

The site on Albert Quay, opposite The Sextant, is a new office block. It runs from the corner opposite The Sextant up to the vehicle entrance for The Webworks. The proposed site for the proposed events centre is on the same block as The Sextant is on and will slot in between Carey Tools and The Idle Hour on the other corner facing the river.

I was driving down that way from the bus station over the weekend and I have to say, now that those ugly warehouses are gone, the Elysian and its surroundings looked absolutely fantastic. It really magnified the size of the tower and looked like a proper scrapper. At this stage I'd nearly rather they turn the new office area into a park or something. Its a great sight for any tourists/newcomers walking out that side of the bus terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Passed the Elysian this morning and Aldi looks to be very close to opening - I'd say in the next 2 weeks just in time for Christmas. Anyone know the exact date?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

leahyl wrote: »
    Passed the Elysian this morning and Aldi looks to be very close to opening - I'd say in the next 2 weeks just in time for Christmas. Anyone know the exact date?

December 10th I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Not exactly a prime location for Aldi, seeing as The Elysian is such a white elephant.

Not exactly a prime location for Aldi, seeing as The Elysian is such a white elephant.

Why is it a white elephant?

evilivor wrote: »
    December 10th I believe.

11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Aldi could be good for that area attracting more footfall and may lead to others opening.

Why is it a white elephant?

Because I've seen more activity in a graveyard.

ofcork wrote: »
    Aldi could be good for that area attracting more footfall and may lead to others opening.

Commercial on south side of building now full, North side one unit left and east very little commercial leaving just the west side but I agree the extra footfall could attract to that side.

Really the 100 plus residents and fair number of commercial business would say it's not a graveyard.

Really the 100 plus residents and fair number of commercial business would say it's not a graveyard.

Hi Mick!

Hi Mick!

Nope! But I have been a resident in the building for some time, it's lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

It certainly was a 'white elephant' but i think it's slowly getting there.

The large development at Albert Quay will feed into it too.

At some stage the area is really going to pick up and Aldi might clean up with the passing trade. Maybe they know something we don't !!

Advertisement