Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albert Quay - New Development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

ofcork wrote: »
    Between the sextant and the idle hour for the event centre.

Ah right. I never go near that area so I forget it exists. Although, I know someone who's involved with that arts project based on that block. They were all set to move to the old Brooks Haughton site last month but have now decided to stay put "for the foreseeable future." That doesn't sound like construction of the event centre will be starting anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Maybe a mod could change the name of the thread to make it clearer it's about the new office building to avoid confusion. There's another thread about the event centre going already http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057061672&page=13

I noticed they've started work taking down the old warehouses. They look to be making quick work of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

moyners wrote: »
    I noticed they've started work taking down the old warehouses. They look to be making quick work of it too.
    Was thinking it looked alot better and noticed work had started yesterday as I was driving past

Going to be interesting to see how it develops

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

You could talk them into coming down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

When is it estimated to be completed ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

When is it estimated to be completed ?

May 2016 when the new tenants move in.

I passed by the site yesterday evening. The old warehouses opposite The Sextant are almost completely gone. It's weird to see a Cork landmark disappear like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

I passed by the site yesterday evening. The old warehouses opposite The Sextant are almost completely gone. It's weird to see a Cork landmark disappear like that.

The warehouses were distinctive but I'm glad they're going. Nice to see development in the city.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    The warehouses were distinctive but I'm glad they're going. Nice to see development in the city.
    Especially in an area that has massive potential to look beautiful - that could be a lovely place to go for a walk - much like the grand canal dock is

• Advertisement

Pitcairn wrote: »

I'm not sad to see them go. More that it's weird to see them no longer there as they've been part of the Cork waterfront for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

They didn't look great there for a long time being as old as they were,no aesthetic appeal so no conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Landmark? A landmark is generally positive. They were awful.

Well they're gone now I suppose that's the main thing :)

Will give a drive down there over the weekend to see how it looks but I'd imagine it's alot nicer than what it was

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Landmark? A landmark is generally positive. They were awful.

That is a matter of opinion. They had been allowed to fall into a bad state or repair and looked pretty bad but I really liked the form of those buildings and, personally, I will miss them.
    I'm not saying they should have stayed but I like old industrial buildings in cities. I'd like to have seen something done with them or maybe they could have been incorporated into a new development.
    I'm a big fan of R&H Hall building too but most people would knock that in a heartbeat.

Having said that, I quite like the look of the new building despite it being a bit safe and bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I'd love for the R&H hall building to be renovated with some lighting as well and converted to some sort of cultural use in the future.

Now that's a landmark!

I'd love for the R&H hall building to be renovated with some lighting as well and converted to some sort of cultural use in the future.

Now that's a landmark!

Back in the boom, R&H Hall was supposed to be a hotel. The developer was told that he couldn't knock it like he wanted to and that the outer skin of the building would have to be kept. This didn't go down too well at all and then this happened purely by coincidence of course.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/fire-at-docks-complex-was-started-deliberately-say-gardai-13742.html

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Now that's a landmark!

I think it's a great looking building too - has a real rough industrial look. Would be great to see it incorporated into some new development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Are people on about the building with R&H Hall written on the top in blue writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Michael.. wrote: »
    I think it's a great looking building too - has a real rough industrial look. Would be great to see it incorporated into some new development.

Jeez, just goes to prove that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is a blight on the city. it looks like a big grey cement block. If this is what we are referring to as a cultural landmark, then god help poor cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Meursault wrote: »
    Jeez, just goes to prove that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is a blight on the city. it looks like a big grey cement block. If this is what we are referring to as a cultural landmark, then god help poor cork.

I don't think anyone referred to it as a cultural landmark. Rather it is a historic, interesting, iconic piece of architecture with, in my opinion, a stark, brutal beauty.
    Not everything has to be pretty to have value.

Personally, I think Opera Lane is one of the blandest most depressing featureless pieces of street design imaginable but I've heard people praising it.

It really does take all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I don't think anyone referred to it as a cultural landmark. Rather it is a historic, interesting, iconic piece of architecture with, in my opinion, a stark, brutal beauty.
    Not everything has to be pretty to have value.

Personally, I think Opera Lane is one of the blandest most depressing featureless pieces of street design imaginable but I've heard people praising it.

It really does take all sorts.

I'm completely with you here. Opera Lane (despite the tacky name) has been a fantastic and very welcome commercial addition to the city, but visually it's so completely bland and featureless. It just creates a really uninteresting urban landscape with no architectural features, shapes, shadows to catch the eye.

Minimalism can be stunning, but it doesn't really scale. A big featureless 6/7 storey block on one side of the street opposite a near-identical featureless block just creates an empty uninteresting street-scape.

In its defence, the upper couple of floors are a bit more interesting in shape & materials, it's not a perfect cuboid; but you can't really see them from street level.

It's the same concern I'd have about the docklands development, including One Albert Quay. If they need to be 'modern', fine. But can't there be modern, interesting buildings? I suspect some of the blame is down to the planning department, who seem to reject more interesting designs in favour of lopping a few floors off everything and giving the green-light to anything safe, boxy and conventional.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Does anyone know who makes the design decisions? Is it the developer gets and architect, submit plans and there approved by the city council. Does the council set any framework in terms of what the new buildings should look like or do they just go with whatever is put in front of them??

I don't mind the design for One Albert Quay - yes it's just a glass and steel box but it is only an office block and I think it makes the City Hall look better for being next to it, there's a contrast there if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Does anyone know who makes the design decisions? Is it the developer gets and architect, submit plans and there approved by the city council. Does the council set any framework in terms of what the new buildings should look like or do they just go with whatever is put in front of them??

A huge question.

No standard answer as it's all about people, both elected and city employees and political lobbying from interested parties.

As example the Elysian Tower complex was designed differently, however, the then City Manager wanted a New York street feel so the plans were rearranged to what we have today ~ Also a couple of floors were removed.

There are a few general planning guidelines but usually the City Fathers and Professionals are more than eager to get anything ~ but recently they have coped on a bit, a 5,000 seater theater was disallowed in a hotel complex for the Coal Quay when it allowed for only 300 car spaces and was rejected again when the spaces were made smaller to allow 360 ~ :pac::pac::pac:

At least we seem to be making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Red Nissan wrote: »
    No standard answer as it's all about people, both elected and city employees and political lobbying from interested.

Well that would explain a lot.

My main gripe with development in the city is that there's no cohesion or sense of a plan and it will have a negative impact if left unchecked.

I like the Albert Quay development because it provides office space in the city centre which is sorely lacking, ideally we could see more of this follow on and a Central Business District emerge. Like what South Mall used to be.

View earlier today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

View earlier today

Elysian complex looks great from that side. Are they going to be knocking the building with the three triangular roofs as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yes

Yes

• Advertisement

Yes

Advertisement