Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Such a shame Irish retailers are overcharging so much. I was always trying to resist buying online if I could, but its stupid to pay €70 for a game when its €50 on amazon or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sxejim

agreed, the infamous second son is 60 quid at argos 70 at gamestop but under 55 on amazon. How can irelands largest video game retailer afford to markup their products that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

cloud493 wrote: »
    Such a shame Irish retailers are overcharging so much. I was always trying to resist buying online if I could, but its stupid to pay €70 for a game when its €50 on amazon or wherever.

Fúck them. If they die out here it'd be because of their own greed. I'd be completely unsympathetic because they'd have brought it on themselves

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got ff xiv during the week and I'm enjoying it,I was playing it last night on the vita via remote play.I take it when your playing a game via remote play your streaming thus eating up data?only reason I ask is because I have a monthly cap :o.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If you don't mind downloading you could always buy it off the US psn store. Should be around €45 ish when converted.

I done that with MGS: Ground Zero.

Could you use a Canadian account instead because their currency is weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doublelime wrote: »
    Help. I just bought a PS4 from gamestop and I need to return it. I lost my receipt, but it is completely unopened and sealed. What can I do now?

If there's nothing wrong with it they don't have to take it at all.

sxejim wrote: »
    agreed, the infamous second son is 60 quid at argos 70 at gamestop but under 55 on amazon. How can irelands largest video game retailer afford to markup their products that much?

Remember that amazon are in a far better bargaining position than the others. It also doesn't have the huge over heads that Smyths, GameStop and Argos have. Amazon and Tesco are so big that they can pretty much go to distributors and tell them the price they will be paying, if distributor doesn't agree then they lose out on a huge market.

By all means shop around and I can't recall the last time I paid full price for any game but remember that soon as a store goes under amazon suddenly become far less competitive when they raise the prices of everything. Remember when all those idiots were toasting the demise of HMV and saying that they deserved to go under. About 10 minutes after HMV announced they were going under all games, music and films shot up in price on amazon and prices have yet to come down. A year and a half ago a big release Blu-Ray on amazon would be £12-15. Now it's generally £17 and in some cases above that.

But gamestop also went up. Its stupid for them to charge €70 for a new release. Buy it cheaper somewhere else or wait till it goes a wee bit cheaper, like everything does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I made a promise to myself to never buy a game from an Irish retailer ever again! Naively I once thought I was helping out my local stores, but harsh experience has thought me it ain't worth crap when you get the shaft with ridiculous prices and even worse customer support!

Don't forget the xtravision pre order fiasco and GameStop not allowing online orders to upgrade to bundles.

VGP, US PSN and Amazon are the only places getting my money and SONY still gets paid either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

So if I already have my account set up to be Irish can it be changed? Or would I need to set up a new one and start over?

Is it just as simple as changing address?

Setup a brand new account and use an American address. Use a state with no sales tax. If you have problems getting a credit/debit card to work then buy PSN credit from www.amazon.com. They will give you the code there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Gamestop charging €69.99 for Lego The Hobbit on PS4...

€43euro with Amazon

€40 with VGP

€59.99 on PSN (For once they are cheaper than bricks and mortar)

Happily wait for it to be second hand in a few months.

Would DRM have been that bad if it had got rid of Gamestop? I mean GS don't comprimise as there is little or no competition, and as there is no competition we don't need to worry about a monopoly anywhere else. It would've brought down the RRP of games(Possibly).

Anyway shop around, very rarely get anything from GS unless they are cheaper than littearly everyone else, which is rarely.

If i were to buy bf4 premium from American psn account, would it work with an eu ps4 and eu bf4 game. Also if I were to buy ps plus off the American account would it work with an eu ps4?

Just want to know because you save €28 if you buy from the US store.

flynner13 wrote: »
    Anyway shop around, very rarely get anything from GS unless they are cheaper than littearly everyone else, which is rarely.

I will never step foot in there for games. They are unbelievable piss takers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If i were to buy bf4 premium from American psn account, would it work with an eu ps4 and eu bf4 game.

No, game, DLC and premium must be from the same region.
    Also if I were to buy ps plus off the American account would it work with an eu ps4?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

F1ngers wrote: »
    No, game, DLC and premium must be from the same region

Game should be fine, DLC though has to be bought with a US account I thought?

I had a US BF4 on disc, worked fine.... the dlc however did not...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Fieldog wrote: »
    Game should be fine, DLC though has to be bought with a US account I thought?

I had a US BF4 on disc, worked fine.... the dlc however did not...

He has the EU game and that works fine.
    He was looking to pair US premium with it - that won't work.

Where would you get the US bf4 game anyway without having to pay import taxes and delivery costs. Amazon UK have bf4 for £42 best price around I think and free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Where would you get the US bf4 game anyway without having to pay import taxes and delivery costs. .

US PSN account digital download. Cheapest way of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

anyone know of anywhere that has the red controller in stock iv checked everywhere have it ordered on amazon with over a month?

I was this close to buying MGS GZ today but €30 for a demo :pac:

• Advertisement

€34.99 in Gamestop :eek:
    €39.99 in Smyths :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I paid 15. US PSN account bitches.

lertsnim wrote: »
    €34.99 in Gamestop :eek:
    €39.99 in Smyths :eek: :eek:

€30 in argos :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

€30 in argos :p

And xtra-vision/HMV last i checked

US PSN account digital download. Cheapest way of getting it.

But does it run the same as the disc. I heard that digital games don't run as good as discs.

But does it run the same as the disc. I heard that digital games don't run as good as discs.

There is no difference. On the PS4 disc games install to the HDD anyway and the disc is just used in the first few minutes as security verification.

I have the digital versions of BF4, inFamous SS and MGS GZ and they all run just fine. No slow downs or dropped frame rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

The lazy part of me prefers digital as i dont have to get off my fat arse to change games but awwhh i wish they would lower their price

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Thats crazy talk. Steam games all run off the HDD without issue.. Maybe your thinking of GTAV, and how rockstar optimized it to use both the disc and hdd together to stream the assets, but that was used due to how ****ty last gen hardware had become.

Thats crazy talk. Steam games all run off the HDD without issue.. Maybe your thinking of GTAV, and how rockstar optimized it to use both the disc and hdd together to stream the assets, but that was used due to how ****ty last gen hardware had become.

The latest example of that is TitanFall on the 360. A digital version won't work well on it, it has to stream it off the disc on cache and buffer it on the HDD as it goes. The Xbox One does not have that issue.

Last gen console issues thankfully.

• Advertisement

The lazy part of me prefers digital as i dont have to get off my fat arse to change games but awwhh i wish they would lower their price

American psn is always cheaper than gamestop and smyths

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement