Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

Varik wrote: »
    And that would be fine if it was just next gen games that are looking for the higher prices, but the last year+ has seen games go from 40-45 to 55-60 in shops here and even Amazon isn't much better.

The second HMV closed amazon and all the others upped their prices. You had loads of people on here celebrating the fact that HMV were go with not a clue about how it would affect pricing in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So the missus is an absolute legend and got me one of these today, but I can't have it til this week as it's for my birthday.

Anyway, she couldn't get the Second Son bundle so she went for Assassins Creed.

I'm not a massive gamer but hearing good things about Second Son. I'm also hearing about this VGP website. Is everything legit? They're coming from North America right? Will the games work right out of the box in a European console?

Apologies if these questions have already been asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So the missus is an absolute legend and got me one of these today, but I can't have it til this week as it's for my birthday.

I'm not a massive gamer but hearing good things about Second Son. I'm also hearing about this VGP website. Is everything legit? They're coming from North America right? Will the games work right out of the box in a European console?

They will you may(most likely) have to setup a US PSN account if you wanted to buy the DLC as this is locked to the region the games is from. Tb be honest the amount of money saved more than makes up for any issues regarding the US accounts and downloading the DLC from there.

W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

MrStuffins wrote: »

Ya VGP are legit one of canada's biggest game shops.

Games come from canada so they are the US copys.

Yes and no to the last part you wont be able to get any DLC for the game. You will need to make a US PSN acc and buy your DLC with that account. EG you can't buy stuff with your irish account

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Enjoying AC:BF so far...

Although, there's something about Assassin's Creed that really annoys me, but I'm not sure I can put my finger on it. Is it just me? I think it's the fact that as the titles come pouring out the actual main gameplay mechanics haven't been improved. The main storyline missions are basically all the same, the fact is it's so easy to kill 1,000 guards and still kill your target and not take much damage, so why bother doing the sneaking? Now the games seem to force you to do the sneaky sneaky thing (which to be honest is the whole idea of the game) by forcing you to use certain triggered events and very static cover systems. The whole thing plays very linear in a game that is screaming for randomness and open world play. My issue is that all of this was very evident in the first title but people I think voiced their opinions incorrectly, people labeled it 'repetitive' or 'lacking content', which I think wasn't the main issue.

The main issue was the actual game play mechanics, which has so much potential to be a smooth unlinear Hitman style experience with random outcomes and different ways to assassinate your target. So instead of fixing that they've just added more content, and more content, and more content... Now it's gotten to the stage where you're sailing ships, hunting whales and playing checkers... Eh, ok, that's great, but what have you done to improve the game play mechanics and the actual assassination sequences? Not a lot it seems.

Although, having said all of that, and even knowing all of that, I find the game thoroughly enjoyable. I think it's the little bit of OCD in me, but I love finding every little artifact/feather/whatever, building up your funds by pirating, hunting and looting is strangely satisfying. All the little side quests and games are terribly basic but very addictive. The fleet thing is absolutely ridiculous and not necessary, yet there I am logging in to send my ships on new quests and get more gemstones. The level these guys have gone to make the latest world is great too, the pirating part is great, I love trying to take on ships that are out of my league and boarding them for an epic swashbuckling battle...

But really, what does this have to do with cool slick assassinations? I remember the first trailer for Assassins Creed before the launch of the PS3. I just thought it looked so slick and cool, but the end result was quite different. At the time I couldn't put my finger on it, but now I think it's the lack of dynamic killing.
    Whilst Hitman has aged a lot, even the latest game is still quite close-world, it gets the main gameplay aspect perfectly right; assassination. You can approach your target a 100 different ways and deliver the coup de grace anyway you like; poison your target, make it look accidental, go in gung-ho, silently deliver the death blow etc., etc. You find yourself going back over missions just to try it a different way. In AC you can stab your victim, that's pretty much it. You can either do it from a cover system or chase them, that's about as diverse as it gets.

So, in short, as an open world game I think it's brilliantly fun, but as an 'assassination game' is still very much lacking.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

You are not the only one.

As you've said.. the actual game itself is boring. Terrible combat. I've said it many times before.. so much I assume a few here are sick of me saying it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gamestop has tombraider for €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The PS3 version being added to PS+ must have killed sales for them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

.ak wrote: »

/rant

Great post, I'm in near complete alignment with your train of thought.

Should be getting BF any day now (cos it was damn cheap on the 360, thanks to xtravisions sale), am expecting to be entertained by the extras without being challenged in any way by the assassin arc - sadly that's still better than a heap of other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The PlayRoom got its 1.04 update today, you can now play with Sackboy or if you are the adventurous type you have a new character to watch you while you record yourself having sex in the PlayRoom which seems to be all the rage now.

• Advertisement

Got my platinum on infamous, don't know what to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

cloud493 wrote: »
    Got my platinum on infamous, don't know what to play now.

Same, only took about 8 days.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Xenji wrote: »
    The PlayRoom got its 1.04 update today, you can now play with Sackboy or if you are the adventurous type you have a new character to watch you while you record yourself having sex in the PlayRoom which seems to be all the rage now.

Brilliant. Knew there was something I could do to convince the missus buying a PS4 was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I get an outragous loud noise from disc spinup, but when its running for a minute settles and dead silent.

But it's pretty loud, I've a HP Server, like, a proper enterprise server with fans the size of footballs that dont make as much noise as that PS4 startup.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I get an outragous loud noise from disc spinup, but when its running for a minute settles and dead silent.

But it's pretty loud, I've a HP Server, like, a proper enterprise server with fans the size of footballs that dont make as much noise as that PS4 startup.

Mine is the same, as soon as you turn it on it is like a jet engine going off and a few seconds later it is nice and silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Regarding Black Flag it's criminal they have never really fixed the parkour mechanics, the amount of times you accidentally fall off a building is rather annoying. I think inFAMOUS SS has the climbing mechanics nailed, if had them as good it'd be one of my favourite games.

Might go for one of the lego games today. Can't think of anything else to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Good deal on Zavvi of the last of us remaster

http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps4/the-last-of-us-remastered/10944339.html?affil=awin&awc=2549_1397644965_82074fd0a593bfa3eaee34c48f355bc4&utm_source=AWin-47868&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin

Works out about 42 euros after the discount and if you pay in pounds.

Also they have Watchdogs for 54 euros

http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps4/watch-dogs/10784751.html

Witch is another very good deal

Money is not taking to its sent and you will have it within a week from zavvi. The last 2 items i ordered had them with in 4 days so its not to bad to save a bit as i will not pay gamestop 70 euros for watchdogs :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

http://www.zavvi.com/games-ps4/the-last-of-us-remastered/10944339.html?affil=awin&awc=2549_1397644965_82074fd0a593bfa3eaee34c48f355bc4&utm_source=AWin-47868&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin

Money is not taking to its sent and you will have it within a week from zavvi. The last 2 items i ordered had them with in 4 days so its not to bad to save a bit as i will not pay gamestop 70 euros for watchdogs :eek:

I've ordered from Zavvi a good few times and never had a problem but you should be aware that apparently they are on customs watchlist and you might have to pay taxes, vat and fees if they intercept your delivery.
    Have a look here

You have to be careful with Zavvi now, a lot of people are getting hit by customs as they are based in the Channel Islands, big thread about it in Bargain Alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The second HMV closed amazon and all the others upped their prices. You had loads of people on here celebrating the fact that HMV were go with not a clue about how it would affect pricing in the long term

What Amazon you looking at?

Ps3 and Xbox 360 releases have been a solid €35-€40 if you pre order in advance, and only ever tipping €45 on release.

Next gen games as low as €48 if you pre order in advance.

HMV made a good assault on the market trying to set a fixed price of €45 for new releases which had me put all my business there, was happy to even ditch online retailers to buy local.

It's a very simple case of the general public being morons in terms of prices paid in this country. If more people were reluctant to purchase from Gamestop, they would be forced to drop their pricing and create a more competitive pricing and affordable pricing.

Considering their whole empire is built and funded from the profits of second hand games, they can easily afford to drop the RRP of a new title down to about €45 euro without feeling a pinch.

It's a pointless cause as casual gamers, parents and people buying present will continue to shop there at those prices. It'll take a report or study, and for it to go out in papers or national radio before people cop onto it and maybe look elsewhere.

Tesco occasionally have good pricing, I picked up the latest GTa there for €45 on launch day which was a steal. (also reminds me to go play and finish it)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clancynl

Should Trials not be available for download today? Don't see it in the store...

cloud493 wrote: »
    Might go for one of the lego games today. Can't think of anything else to play.

Fez is savage if you've not played it ...

clancynl wrote: »
    Should Trials not be available for download today? Don't see it in the store...

Give it another hour or so, takes a few hours for the store to fully update after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Its been up for the last hour or so: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/trials-fusion/cid=EP0001-CUSA00230_00-TRIALSFUSION1111

Or select "New Releases" - "New This Week" to see everything.

Also I cant believe there is no online multiplayer, just couch co-op. That's like a core part of the other games, it's insane to omit it.

CombatCow wrote: »
    Its been up for the last hour or so: https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/trials-fusion/cid=EP0001-CUSA00230_00-TRIALSFUSION1111

Or select "New Releases" - "New This Week" to see everything.

excellent .. many thanks!

PS4 Update 1.70 Coming Soon
    Introducing: SHAREfactory
    The 1.70 update will enable SHAREfactory, our new rich video editor app for PS4 that makes it easy for you to customize your gameplay videos:

With SHAREfactory, you can now easily combine your captured video clips for editing, personalize them with special effects using filters, transitions, and themes, as well as share them with your friends and social networks. SHAREfactory also allows you to personalize your videos by adding text, stickers, and a set of included audio tracks, as well as video commentary with picture-in-picture capability with PlayStation Camera. It also allows you to import your original music to add to the custom soundtrack for your video.

Take Your Share Anywhere

Once you’re done with your masterpiece, you can easily share your SHAREfactory videos to Facebook, or export them to an external USB storage device to upload them elsewhere, another new feature coming as part of the 1.70 system software update. Other PS4 SHARE enhancements include the ability to change the recording time of your gameplay to shorter increments, the ability to change who you share your clips with on the SHARE screen, and the removal of default saves for screenshots and video clips. In addition to these SHARE enhancements, the 1.70 update will allow you switch off HDCP, enabling you to capture video directly from your HDMI output so you can record and share longer clips of your gameplay sessions — a feature I know many of you have been waiting for. We are excited to see what the PlayStation Nation does with these new social features, and cannot wait to get them into your hands!

Play as Soon as the Game is Released

Providing you with immediate access to your games is a priority designed into PS4, and something we will always strive to make better. We’ve had a great response from PS4 fans about the Play as You Download feature, the snappy load times when launching and playing games, and the general speed and responsiveness of the UI. The 1.70 update adds features to build on this idea and make it faster to play the games you pre-order with an auto pre-download capability, which allows you to pre-download your select pre-ordered game up to several days prior to release. If you have the auto-download feature enabled, it will automatically pre-download your pre-ordered game so you can play as soon as the game is unlocked on release day.
    As I mentioned earlier, some of these features were a direct result of the great feedback we’ve been getting from you, our dedicated gamer community. We enjoy listening to your comments, and encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts with us. And this is just the beginning. We’ve got a lot more coming in PS4 system software update v1.70 and beyond. The PS4 experience will constantly evolve, and new innovative ideas can come from anywhere to ensure the platform continues to deliver the best in gaming and entertainment every time you turn it on.

We’ll have more information to share about new upcoming features for this major system software update as the release approaches, so stay tuned!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/04/16/ps4-update-1-70-coming-soon-introducing-sharefactory/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Good to see we are getting somewhere but they'd really want to be a bit more forthcoming with a release date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Xenji wrote: »

Feck it, that's the US. Doubt we'll be getting the pre-download feature for a good while yet considering we can't even pre-order games as it is.

Solid update, though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Feck it, that's the US. Doubt we'll be getting the pre-download feature for a good while yet considering we can't even pre-order games as it is.

Solid update, though!

We had pre-ordering and loading on PS3 for a long while before the US, GTAV was pre-loadable here and only pre-order-able in the US.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement