Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

What's the story with the game prices still being so high? I get that this happened before with the last gen launch but it all settled down to the usual €50 again.

Now they're still €65 in brick and mortar stores, even though they're $60 in America.

I buy online because it's cheaper but it'd be handy if you could just to into a shop on the day and get it too and not pay a ridiculous amount for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well they were quite expensive at PS3 launch. I remember I paid £50 for sonic 06. Or 45 euro for mod nation racers at vita launch, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    What's the story with the game prices still being so high? I get that this happened before with the last gen launch but it all settled down to the usual €50 again.

Now they're still €65 in brick and mortar stores, even though they're $60 in America.

I buy online because it's cheaper but it'd be handy if you could just to into a shop on the day and get it too and not pay a ridiculous amount for it

The prices for the 360 and PS3 games took over a year to 18 months after launch to drop down. The PS4 and X1 are only 6 months old. Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well they were quite expensive at PS3 launch. I remember I paid £50 for sonic 06. Or 45 euro for mod nation racers at vita launch, etc.

I can remember paying £50 (sterling) for Street Fighter 2 for the Sega Mega Drive way back in 92-93ish .. was roughly the same prices for PS1 games a decade later .. for all the entertainment a good game gives you i think the prices are fair enough at 65ish euro but for most games i will wait till i can get them second hand still.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

_Redzer_ wrote: »

And this is why I will buy new games from North America. Shops in Ireland can get bent with their piss taking prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    Isnt it about time they brought out some new apps already??
    We are missing out on even basic ones like youtube, when you check out all the apps available to US PS4 owners its shockingly bad how little we have in comparison.

Glad i kept my PS3 for the media side alone.

And on the subject of TLOU coming out on PS4.. good news - should push the pre-owned price of the PS3 version down, or we might even get it on PS Plus like they did with Tomb Raider.

Access YouTube on PS4 by going to the browser and typing :

http://www.YouTube.com/TV

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

todays next-gen games prices are expensive but relatively cheap compared to what we used to pay when new consoles came out in the late 90s and early 2000s. I'll still never forget paying £70 for Turok 1 on the N64 on release day (propably close to 90euro in todays money)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

The Last of Us- Best game i have ever played..absolutely gripping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

phobia2011 wrote: »
    The Last of Us- Best game i have ever played..absolutely gripping
    only got the ps3 a few months back and got the last of us 1st game i have finished in yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is anyone else's fan on their PS4 really loud? Mine sounds like a vacuum when playing games-reminds me of my launch PS3 Phat. Is this normal. I have it lying flat on top of my UPC box. I don't think I've ever heard my Xbox One fan at all. Should I worry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

Fieldog wrote: »
    Access YouTube on PS4 by going to the browser and typing :

http://www.YouTube.com/TV

thanks , i just switch to my PS3 when i want to go on it though, just beyond me why they cant get the app on ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is anyone else's fan on their PS4 really loud? Mine sounds like a vacuum when playing games-reminds me of my launch PS3 Phat. Is this normal. I have it lying flat on top of my UPC box. I don't think I've ever heard my Xbox One fan at all. Should I worry?

Maybe, mines super silent. Much quieter than the PS3 beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

This is just getting ridiculous......Something must be done about this robbery!!

adiz5d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

bazzz wrote: »
    This is just getting ridiculous......Something must be done about this robbery!!

adiz5d.png

surely thats wrong
    maybe just a placement price?
    was hoping to pick this up for the ps4 as I never played it before
    won't be buying it off gs anyway

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    surely thats wrong
    maybe just a placement price?
    was hoping to pick this up for the ps4 as I never played it before
    won't be buying it off gs anyway

It's obvious just a place holder and the price will be adjusted once they know the rrp. Much as I hate GameStop and their ridiculous pricing I don't think that they're considering charging anything close to €100 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

It's obvious just a place holder and the price will be adjusted once they know the rrp. Much as I hate GameStop and their ridiculous pricing I don't think that they're considering charging anything close to €100 for it.

I had considered it might be a placeholder ,but this is GS after all.So who knows;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The majority of the cooling uses vents at the back of the PS4 to get rid of hot air,is the back of the PS4 obstructed in any way?

Ideally they should not be put in tv cabinets etc,or anything that will restrict airflow out the back of the PS4

EoinHef wrote: »
    The majority of the cooling uses vents at the back of the PS4 to get rid of hot air,is the back of the PS4 obstructed in any way?

Ideally they should not be put in tv cabinets etc,or anything that will restrict airflow out the back of the PS4

It's in a cubby under the TV alright but so is my Xbox and that's fine. There's also a bit of space between it and the back of the cubby. It literally sounds like a plane flying overhead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

How much heat does your upc box generate?
    Could this be a factor?

F1ngers wrote: »
    How much heat does your upc box generate?
    Could this be a factor?

Twas off at the time. I'll try and snap a video and post a link- it's possible it's one of those things where I'm blowing it out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Are you surr it's not vibration instead of the fan. Try laying it on something like a folded newspaper to soften the base against whatever it's sitting on and go from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's the disk drive that's noisy as feck for me. Even louder than my PS3 by a big factor.

Is that the case for everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

My ps4 is almost entirely silent (except just for a second when the disc starts up). Makes for a pleasant change from my 360!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Yeah my PS4 is pretty quiet apart from the start up spin, and i just have mine sitting flat on top of dresser.

My ps3 sounded like a 747 starting up and so did my xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

My ps4 is almost entirely silent (except just for a second when the disc starts up). Makes for a pleasant change from my 360!

Ditto. Get a very fast spin noise on disc start up but other than that it's quiet as a whisper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It's in a cubby under the TV alright but so is my Xbox and that's fine. There's also a bit of space between it and the back of the cubby. It literally sounds like a plane flying overhead.

Id say its the restricted airflow around the back of the console then thats causing the fan to spin up to keep it cool.

Try re locating it some where that would not be an issue and see if its still loud to make sure its that.

It should be ok running a little hotter in the short term but long term its not good for the components in the PS4

Just looking at the Disney Vita pack on Smyths website.

Will the 16GB memory card that comes with the pack be empty or will the Disney games be on it? Wouldn't mind getting it if I can just use the card for games off of PS+.

Also would people recommend getting the old vita model or the new slim one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Just looking at the Disney Vita pack on Smyths website.

Will the 16GB memory card that comes with the pack be empty or will the Disney games be on it? Wouldn't mind getting it if I can just use the card for games off of PS+.

Also would people recommend getting the old vita model or the new slim one?

Thanks

You get a code to download the games and the memory card is just a standard one with nothing on it.

Thanks for the reply. Posted in here instead of the vita thread by mistake.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Gonzo wrote: »
    todays next-gen games prices are expensive but relatively cheap compared to what we used to pay when new consoles came out in the late 90s and early 2000s. I'll still never forget paying £70 for Turok 1 on the N64 on release day (propably close to 90euro in todays money)

And that would be fine if it was just next gen games that are looking for the higher prices, but the last year+ has seen games go from 40-45 to 55-60 in shops here and even Amazon isn't much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement