Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Megathread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just a followup on the discussion about gaming prices in Ireland.

Gamestops CEO announced the company will be slowly moving away from games, to focus on hardware sales like tablets, mobile phones and laptops. While maintaining a presence in the gaming market, it will be mostly second hand sales and new titles, removing most back catalogue.

Gamestops profit model is essentially based around second hand sales, so don't see them ditching it anytime soon.

He also mentioned the company are looking into acquiring franchise licenses to be exclusive mobile phone outlets and laptop outlets.

Said the company expect to start phasing out and closing stores as required accross Europe this year.

Can't say I'm in anyway upset or irked. I've moved most of my purchasing to the online sphere, and Gaemstop was just never a store that enticed me through intricute knowledge of staff, or competitive pricing.

A big fallacy is irish stores complaining about how they can't compete with the online market, simply put if you can't compete, get out.

I havn't tried the Candadian website touted here, still use Amazon. The US PSN thing is tempting but for the start of the PS$ lifecycle I'd like to build up a physical collection.

Have to say been a while since I've touched my console, Infamous not really interesting me. Too much going on with the PC gaming at the moment.

Needs a title that is a mindblowing online experience, safe bet is an FPS. I still long for SOMETHING like modern warfare, don't find the futuristic shooters hold my interest, and BF4, well it was out ages on the PC before PS4, can't see myself buying it and levelling up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

Thinking of picking up the PS4 in the next while,

not sure if this question has been answered before, but, if i bought games on the PSN on the PS3 can this be re downloaded on to the PS4?
    the games i got were the likes of Final Fantasy 7, tomb raider, all the classics from the PS and dont want to have to hang on to a PS3 if i dont have to!!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Unfortunately not.. at least not at this moment. There were some rumours regarding emulation but that's all it is for now and won't be anytime soon I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up the PS4 in the next while,

not sure if this question has been answered before, but, if i bought games on the PSN on the PS3 can this be re downloaded on to the PS4?
    the games i got were the likes of Final Fantasy 7, tomb raider, all the classics from the PS and dont want to have to hang on to a PS3 if i dont have to!!

Cheers

Nope. The PS4 hardware is completely different to the PS3's, so it won't be able to run any of its games.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

ah disaster. i knew that the PS3 games themselves wouldnt work but i thought the likes of the PS one games might work again.

thanks for that, looks like i have to keep the PS3 around so!!

• Advertisement

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    ah disaster. i knew that the PS3 games themselves wouldnt work but i thought the likes of the PS one games might work again.

thanks for that, looks like i have to keep the PS3 around so!!

Honestly.. it's very much worth keeping around with the free content on PS +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just a followup on the discussion about gaming prices in Ireland.

Gamestops CEO announced the company will be slowly moving away from games, to focus on hardware sales like tablets, mobile phones and laptops. While maintaining a presence in the gaming market, it will be mostly second hand sales and new titles, removing most back catalogue.

Gamestops profit model is essentially based around second hand sales, so don't see them ditching it anytime soon.

He also mentioned the company are looking into acquiring franchise licenses to be exclusive mobile phone outlets and laptop outlets.

Said the company expect to start phasing out and closing stores as required accross Europe this year.

Care to provide a source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Nope. The PS4 hardware is completely different to the PS3's, so it won't be able to run any of its games.

Until Playstation Now that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Deano7788 wrote: »

Had a look and read of that site there i would not belive a word of it as its not from a games industry site EG a mainstream one or from a business journal or business news site.

I call bull**** on to i see this a proper media outlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Had a look and read of that site there i would not belive a word of it as its not from a games industry site EG a mainstream one or from a business journal or business news site.

Alrighty, found this afterwards

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/04/24/gamestop-closing-120-stores-focusing-on-mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's a nice update,how much would a capture card set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

That's a nice update,how much would a capture card set you back?

I wouldn't go less than £60.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reported by pretty every meida outlet, I read it from a business website initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The PS4 1.70 update goes live on April 30th, that is the Japanese date, so it could come a day before or after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Makes me laugh about complaints over games for PS4. I remember waiting in line to get a PS3 in 2007 and brought it home to play Formula 1 Championship edition and Motorstorm. No PS+ or a decent store selection to choose from either. No FIFA/Call of Duty/Battlefield/Assassins Creed/Killzone games there. I would have killed for a few PS2 remasters back then. Maybe im just getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭steve3194

Does anyone know if the wireless sony stereo headset 2.0 is available here yet?
    GameStop have it on there site but only for pre-order. Smyth's have available to buy online but its out of stock in all stores so I don't know if that's a mistake or not. Heard nothing about a release date

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

You can get it online from VGP. From what I have heard of the headset itself, it's not ment to be great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

You can get it online from VGP. From what I have heard of the headset itself, it's not ment to be great.

Out of stock too, have been for a while.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Out of stock too, have been for a while.

Never used VGP before. What are their shipping costs like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I got these headphones from argos for my ps4, dirt cheap but great sound and fit for purpose

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1701645/Trail/searchtext%3ETRITTON.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

steve3194 wrote: »
    Never used VGP before. What are their shipping costs like?
    About 7 euro for a game, but they go by weight so hardware will cost more.

It still works out cheaper than buying here even with shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

GameStop have it on there site but only for pre-order. Smyth's have available to buy online but its out of stock in all stores so I don't know if that's a mistake or not. Heard nothing about a release date

It's definitely out. Gamestop seem to be really slow at getting them in though. My mate has had one since march and he got it in Smyths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

ive being trying to get it rang my local smyths they said they never had it IN stock in the 1st place but will be getting them in at some stage

naughto wrote: »
    ive being trying to get it rang my local smyths they said they never had it IN stock in the 1st place but will be getting them in at some stage

Weird that they don't have them by now. It does give the option to order them from the website which is strange. I would only it might be a case where don't receive it for months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got my sony headset about 5 or 6 weeks in smyths just went in and they had them by luck as i was told they would have them on thursday of that week went in and got them.

This was the waterford store

You know, watching a friend playing Octodad reminded me of something. The feature to control another players game has been completely forgotten about.

Has there been any word?

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    You know, watching a friend playing Octodad reminded me of something. The feature to control another players game has been completely forgotten about.

Has there been any word?

Yeah, the multiplayer in Watch Dogs with the PS app. The other person on a phone or tablet can interact with the other player making their like more difficult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement