Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 Games of All Time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have Twin Snakes on the GC but have never played it, having played and finished MGS on the PS back in the day, in Japanese!
    Is the GC remake worth playing?
    Doesn't it have "improvements" from the later games in there?
    Speaking of MGS3, which is the best version, I have the original on the PS2, as well as the expanded version, and the remake for the 3DS, and I have gotten precisely no where in any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have Twin Snakes on the GC but have never played it, having played and finished MGS on the PS back in the day, in Japanese!
    Speaking of MGS3, which is the best version, I have the original on the PS2, as well as the expanded version, and the remake for the 3DS, and I have gotten precisely no where in any of them!

Twin Snakes, imo, was awful :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Super Mario 64 is all the way down at number 43?

I blame myself for not logging on over the weekend to vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Batman Returns, the only side scrolling beat'em up I can stand playing, I break out in scathing sarcasm when faced with a Streets of Rage game which, as you can imagine, make life as an A&R mod rather hard sometimes :(

Did a good job of capturing the feel of the movie, great graphics for the time too lovely big sprites, was much better looking than the MegaDrive version.

I like some scrolling beat 'em ups, Double Dragon (purely for nostaliga reasons, you can finish the entire game using one move lol) Streets of Rage 2, Turtles In Time.

krudler wrote: »
    , Turtles In Time.

Oh my lord what a game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I like some scrolling beat 'em ups, Double Dragon (purely for nostaliga reasons, you can finish the entire game using one move lol) Streets of Rage 2, Turtles In Time.

Surely you're forgetting Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie? You could be people AND giant robots! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Super Mario 64 is all the way down at number 43?

I blame myself for not logging on over the weekend to vote...

Me too. I only saw this thread now. Mario 64 would have been my 1 or 2.

Oh my lord what a game!

Sure was, we used to play it on hard mode just to get the extra continues, the levels were brilliant, the dinosaur one, except Slash was a balls of a boss to beat from what I remember. Music was brilliant in it as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Twin Snakes is pretty naff. The cutscenes are beyond terrbile, the acting is all phoned in (there was problems with some of the actors getting paid so they didn't give a ****) and the elements from MGS2 they introduced serve to break the game which was designed around them not being in it.

One game I'm surprised to see didnt make the list is Street Fighter 2, or any version of a Street Fighter game. As far as influential games goes that's one of the top tier ones, rejuvenated the arcade scene, made people want to buy a SNES for it. It was also the cause of, and solution to, so many arguments as kids :pac:

• Advertisement

I wasn't a huge Street Fighter fan but appreciate how influential it was. What about Mortal Kombat too..... there was movies made out of these games ladies & gents. They must have been somewhat good.....

When I did play SF I was one of those blanka picking ****, who sat with the fire on as much as possible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Oh and just on my vote since I only voted for MGS3 even though I genuinely love that series (MGS4 less so but still) I couldn't justify including several games from a series since a Top 10 is so small as it is.

I couldn't even tell you how many games I've played and I'm sure the same applies to several here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mortal Kombat was a dreadful game that was a quick cheap cash grab for the fighting game craze and doesn't deserve to be in any top whatever list. It only sold on controversy. Mortal Kombat 2 was at least playable but still not that great and after that it was always in the shadow of far better fighters until the surprisingly great recent MK game.

There's a fair few amazing games left off that list, not just obscure titles but popular ones like Street Fighter 2.

Totally disagree with the list of course but at least the only two head scratchers are Tomb Raider and Goldeneye for me. So a bunch of randomers on an irish forum know their **** more than the Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Again though, can people not accept that a great game comes out sometimes and when it does are we to list it as a great game or say "That doesnt deserve to be in a top 10 list, its only new"
    And sometimes a game really is that good. In general though I'd expect even an instant classic to have stood the test of time somewhat before being considered one of the best in history. Perspective often adds a lot

If we were to do this exercise in a year's time then I'd expect TLOU to still feature but probably not in the top ten

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So a bunch of randomers on an irish forum Goats know their **** more than the Irish Times.
    FTFY

I'm missing something. The Times said what, when?

Reekwind wrote: »
    And sometimes a game really is that good. In general though I'd expect even an instant classic to have stood the test of time somewhat before being considered one of the best in history. Perspective often adds a lot

If we were to do this exercise in a year's time then I'd expect TLOU to still feature but probably not in the top ten

I've no doubt that TLOU will go down as one fo the greats of this generation but it takes a while for the hype to die down and sometimes peoples opinions change in retrospect. Look how many best game eva!'s we've had this year with Skyrim, Bioshock Infinite and TLOU or how peoples opinions drastically changed on games like GTAIV and MGS2 in retrospect. TLOU is superb but for me there's a few little niggles that stop it being rated as a masterpiece like Super Metroid.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭TomCleverly

So did this end last Sunday, or is it continuing till next Sunday? If next I'll throw my list up.

Reekwind wrote: »
    I'm missing something. The Times said what, when?

The thread that prompted this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057093663

BTW: welcome to last week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Did no one mention Mafia TCoLH?! :o

• Advertisement

Mortal Kombat was a dreadful game that was a quick cheap cash grab for the fighting game craze and doesn't deserve to be in any top whatever list. It only sold on controversy. Mortal Kombat 2 was at least playable but still not that great and after that it was always in the shadow of far better fighters until the surprisingly great recent MK game.

There's a fair few amazing games left off that list, not just obscure titles but popular ones like Street Fighter 2.

Totally disagree with the list of course but at least the only two head scratchers are Tomb Raider and Goldeneye for me. So a bunch of randomers on an irish forum know their **** more than the Irish Times.

Which ones out of interest? There's plenty of games that deserve to be on there for various reasons. Whether being influential or just plain great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I think lists like "Great X of All Time" need a caveat attached.
    A list comprising the 50 greatest games (to mean most influential games that introduced new standards for gaming) would certainly be different to a list comprising the 50 greatest games (to mean games that have stood the test of time and are as playable today as they were upon first release).

I am a massive fan of both Tomb Raider and Goldeneye however I would be of the opinion that both of those games belong on only one of the above lists.

Another poster pointed out earlier that the age category of voters... I would be interested to see this done again with lists for different age categories to see how they differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if I had grouped together all the votes for SF2, SF2 Turbo & Super SF2, then it would have landed somewhere around #30.

Not trying to sound douchey but theyre all the same game more or less bar some speed differences and a couple of extra characters, definately think it should be in the list but your poll your rules! :) Must of taken ages to compile the list so respect for that.

On topic of mortal kombat 2 etc, without the blood and fatalities it would never have gotten popular. all the characters have the same moveset except 2 or 3 special moves, compared to SF at the time in terms of complexity it would get a 3 compared to a 10 for sf2!

Which ones out of interest? There's plenty of games that deserve to be on there for various reasons. Whether being influential or just plain great.

Dark Souls should be no. 1

Be serious all the other games on the list I'd consider to be great games, anything else I'd prefer to see on the list would be obscure or old so would never end up on a populist list like this. For instance, FFVII will always be a popular choice but there are far superior examples of JRPGs, many already on the list. I can bang on about weird JRPGs but then this is a populist list so it's silly realistic and doesn't change the fact that its still a fantastic game.

As for the 2, make it 3 I'm adding GTA3 to that list, I'm surprised about it's becasue they aren't that great anymore are there are far better examples in their respective genres. As James Howlett says, they are influential but I can't consider them great games especially when there is stuff out at the moment that totally eclipses them in playability in their respective genres. I suppose it's a different way of rating games than some people have.

I was surprised to see some great games actually make the list, Persona 4 and Journey off the top of my head. Also I wasn't the only person that voted for Panzer Dragoon Saga! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wasn't a huge Street Fighter fan but appreciate how influential it was. What about Mortal Kombat too..... there was movies made out of these games ladies & gents. They must have been somewhat good.....

When I did play SF I was one of those blanka picking ****, who sat with the fire on as much as possible :D

mortal kombat trilogy ftw, was really considering putting it on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭jasonbourne.cs

1. Final Fantasy VII ( PS )
    2. Command & Conquer: Red Alert ( PC )
    3. Metal Gear Solid 3 ( PS )
    4. Timesplitters 2 ( PS2 )
    5. GTA : Vice City ( PS2 )
    6. Counter Strike : Source ( PC )
    7. Uncharted 2 ( PS3 )
    8. Prince Of Persia : Sands of Time
    9. Mariokart ( Snes )
    10.Call of Duty : Modern Warfare

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭SnitchingBubs

Long time lurker on boards. I made an account specifically to take part in this thread and then i see it is closed :( . None the less

1.Metal Gear Solid(PS1)
    2.Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow(Gameboy Colour)
    3.GTA V (PS3)
    4.GTA San Andreas(PS2)
    5.Driver (PS1)
    6.Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2
    7.Bully:Canis Canem Edit(PS2)
    8.Football Manager 2012(PC)
    9.Final Fantasy X(PS2)
    10.C&c Red alert

BTW: welcome to last week :P
    Last week is a scary place, in which people who know nothing about computer games are paid to write about computer games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Has anyone payed the original tomb raider recently? Time has not been kind. It's got some awfully clunky controls.

They were clunky at the time! I had no idea that game was so highly rated

• Advertisement

I can't believe I forgot to mention any of the C & C games. Red Alert 2 especially so many hours wasted online after great fun on the campaigns :D

Advertisement