Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 Games of All Time

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    [Troll] Its pretty amazing alright, but not as good as Legend of the Dragoon, pure rpg excellence, as I believe you agree [/Troll]

Don't even joke about that horrible, horrible game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xenji wrote: »
    I feel bad for Seiken Densetsu 3, nobody else mentioned it and it is a true gem and a classic, it has a very good fan translation as well, must have for any role playing fan :)

I always found Secret of Mana to be a lot more fun, flaws and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

SeantheMan wrote: »
    He has the same data as you ;)
    If you have a quick way and are an excel master then away you go, you can give us the results ahead of time :P

The data entry will be laborious, yes, and I don't have the time to do it (nor have I had the time to properly think about and compile my own top 10). But I didn't propose to do the list either. :confused:

I'm just suggesting that instead of simply posting the final list 1-50, it would be useful to also provide us the raw, collated data to work with further. Perhaps the Groutch was planning to do that all along, but perhaps not.

Edited to add, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the result. Great idea Groutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Half thinking about doing one for each genre and then adding all those together to see how it compares to this list! Would be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭The JMC

Magill wrote: »
    If a call of duty or halo is in the top ten... im deleting my boards account.

Call of Duty 2 & 4 were fantastic games, they're the reason CoD is churning out the same crap today. Halo 1 & 2 were also fantastic and incredibly influential and important to console FPS and online play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Back in the day, PC Zone used to keep a running track of their highest rated games (a top ten) by genre. Was quite an elegant system, I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Ah balls, Only saw this now :(

1. Dark Souls
    2. Resident Evil Remake
    3. Metal Gear Solid
    4. Demon's Souls
    5. Persona 4
    6. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    7. Deus Ex
    8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
    9. C&C: Red Alert
    10. SMT: Devil Survivor

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The JMC wrote: »
    Call of Duty 2 & 4 were fantastic games, they're the reason CoD is churning out the same crap today. Halo 1 & 2 were also fantastic and incredibly influential and important to console FPS and online play.

Indeed, COD4 took the jaded WW2 set FPS game and dragged it kicking and screaming into the modern era, and it's the best of the COD games before they got bogged down in ludicrous killstreaks and attack dogs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i know the voting is closed, only saw this now, my vote would be

1 - World of Warcraft (PC/MAC)
    2 - Super Mario World (SNES)
    3 - Legend of Zelda - The Orcarina of Time (N64)
    4 - Wip3out (PS1)
    5 - Doom 2 (PC)
    6 - Half-Life 1 (PC)
    7 - Counter-Strike 1.6 (PC)
    8 - Final Fantasy X (PS2)
    9 - Starfox (SNES)
    10 - Bioshock 1 (Xbox 360)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    We all know that no matter what people vote the real winner is Dark Souls.

No, Baldur's Gate 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Really looking forward to seeing the results for this. Im glad people voted more for the 10 games that they enjoyed the most and that had the biggest impact on them than just vote for games that are popularly thought of as the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think another interesting thing to have surveyed would be people's age group, genre preferences and amount of games (roughly) they've played for each console. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Baldurs Gate 2
    Half-life 2
    Deus Ex
    Super Mario World
    Street Fighter 2
    Donkey Kong Country
    Diablo 2
    Jedi Knight, Jedi Outkast
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    Spiderman 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ok, I'm finally done, not going to do a dragged out countdown or anything.

1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
    3. Super Mario World
    4. Deus Ex
    5. The Last of Us
    6. GTA San Andreas
    7. Half Life
    8. Dark Souls
    9. GTA Vice City
    10. Zelda: A Link To The Past
    11. Super Mario Bros. 3
    12. GTA 3
    13. Super Metroid
    14. Final Fantasy VII
    15. Fallout 3
    16. Half Life 2
    17. Shadow of The Colossus
    18. Metal Gear Solid 3
    19. Red Dead Redemption
    20. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    21. Sonic The Hedgehog
    22. Final Fantasy IX
    23. Counter Strike
    24. Goldeneye 007
    25. Age Of Empires 2
    26. Super Mario Kart
    27. Pokemon Red/Blue
    28. Mass Effect 2
    29. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    30. Resident Evil 2
    31. Bioshock
    32. World Of Warcraft
    33. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    34. Ico
    35. Persona 4
    36. Borderlands 2
    37. Portal 2
    38. GTA V
    39. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    40. Tomb Raider (1996)
    41. Pokemon Gold/Silver
    42. Civilisation 2
    43. Super Mario 64
    44. Resident Evil
    45. The Walking Dead
    46. Age of Empires
    47. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    48. Doom
    49. Final Fantasy X
    50. Journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What? No Micro Machines? OMG THIS LIST IS BULLSH*T!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Have to see the list looks pretty good. Though there are many sequels etc there
    3 Oblivions, 3 Final Fantays, 3 GTA's.

But them be the breaks :D
    Fair play on compiling the list.

Is TLOU really one of the best games ever, or is it that high because it's fresh in peoples' memories ?

I've also played every game on the list except a few PS3 exclusives, which is one of the reasons I want a PS3 (even though PS4 is out...not backwards compatible apparently)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Pft, Metal Gear Solid first....i call bull****!! Fix!! Sham!! :pac:

Seriously though, some great games on there and fair play for doing it.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is TLOU really one of the best games ever, or is it that high because it's fresh in peoples' memories ?

It really is a fantastic game. Don't think it will get any less so after some time.

And there's the problem with something like this. You really can't ask people for their 10 best games, take less than a week to do so and use that for a list.It's actually a lot better than what I thought it would be, but TLOU at number 5? Load of rubbish. Also, not a single Halo game in their. I'm sorry, but the game that pretty much made the Xbox and proper online matchmaking not getting on the list is pretty bizarre. Also, not a single Xbox exclusive on that list. No Gears or Forza? Really? (Also, I am not saying that because I am a fanboy or anything, I honestly believe those 3 deserve to be there!) Top 10 apart from TLOU and Zelda: A Link to The Past is pretty spot on though. Maybe not the exact order I'd have them in but a good top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

No Crash Bandicoot?! :shock:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    And there's the problem with something like this. You really can't ask people for their 10 best games, take less than a week to do so and use that for a list.It's actually a lot better than what I thought it would be, but TLOU at number 5? Load of rubbish. Also, not a single Halo game in their. I'm sorry, but the game that pretty much made the Xbox and proper online matchmaking not getting on the list is pretty bizarre. Also, not a single Xbox exclusive on that list. No Gears or Forza? Really? (Also, I am not saying that because I am a fanboy or anything, I honestly believe those 3 deserve to be there!) Top 10 apart from TLOU and Zelda: A Link to The Past is pretty spot on though. Maybe not the exact order I'd have them in but a good top 10.

I wouldn't put Halo in the top 50 either, it's not even the best fps game on the original Xbox. Timesplitters 2 is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As always, these things are prone to changing from day to day, but right now it's:

1) Fallout: New Vegas
    2) Team Fortress 2
    3) Morrowind
    4) GTA: San Andreas
    5) World of Warcraft
    6) Terranigma
    7) Final Fantasy VII
    8) Skyrim
    9) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    10) Turrican 2

krudler wrote: »
    I wouldn't put Halo in the top 50 either, it's not even the best fps game on the original Xbox. Timesplitters 2 is.
    I think not putting the game whose multiplayer every single FPS has followed since into any top 50 is a shambles. But anyway, that's just my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not a Xbox fan really but Forza has to be a top 50 game, its the only reason Id think of getting a Xbone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Only seeing this now :(

1. Warcraft 3
    2. Metal Gear Solid 4 (1, 2, & 3 also)
    3. Half Life 2
    4. GTA Vice City
    5. Half Life 1
    6. World of Warcraft
    7. The Last of Us
    8. Portal
    9. Populous The Beginning
    10. Sonic The Hedgehog

To be honest, there is probably loads I haven't even thought of.

The Boards Top 50 is a pretty agreeable list though :)

EDIT:

Halo: CE
    Mass Effect 1/2
    Resident Evil Remake
    Deus Ex
    Brothers In Arms
    Gran Turismo
    Fallout 3
    Oblivion / Skyrim

EDIT (2): :pac:

Pokemon Red/Blue
    Age of Empires
    Wip3out
    KOTOR
    Crash Bandicoot 3

I think not putting the game whose multiplayer every single FPS has followed since into any top 50 is a shambles. But anyway, that's just my opinion!

Except for the fact that quake started it all back in 1996 and halo multiplayer really wasn't anything special considering what the pc was doing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Feck, I completely missed this one. I hope Devil May Cry 3 made the list though. If not, I'm calling shenanigans! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

every single console fps maybe. but they don't count, not even a little

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Except for the fact that quake started it all back in 1996 and halo multiplayer really wasn't anything special considering what the pc was doing at the time.
    Yes, the PC! Pretty much like Quake was revolutionary for it's time and system, Halo was revolutionary for the Xbox! Again, semantics. I have my opinion and you have yours. Not even that big a Halo fan really, just think it deserves a spot on the top 50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Nobody voted for Twitter? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

dark souls number 8
    truely deserves that spot :D suprized to see age of empires 2 so high did'nt think many people liked it considering they brought out the hd one only a few months ago

Advertisement