Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 Games of All Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    And there's the problem with something like this. You really can't ask people for their 10 best games, take less than a week to do so and use that for a list.It's actually a lot better than what I thought it would be, but TLOU at number 5? Load of rubbish. Also, not a single Halo game in their. I'm sorry, but the game that pretty much made the Xbox and proper online matchmaking not getting on the list is pretty bizarre. Also, not a single Xbox exclusive on that list. No Gears or Forza? Really? (Also, I am not saying that because I am a fanboy or anything, I honestly believe those 3 deserve to be there!) Top 10 apart from TLOU and Zelda: A Link to The Past is pretty spot on though. Maybe not the exact order I'd have them in but a good top 10.
    I think not putting the game whose multiplayer every single FPS has followed since into any top 50 is a shambles. But anyway, that's just my opinion!

The list isn't about games that changed gaming or were innovative or started a revolution.

It is a simple list of Boardsies favourite games....for the simple reason that we always complain about other Top10 , Top50 lists......which is what you have just gone and done !!:confused:
    Take the list for what it is as the collection of Top10's submitted by Boards.ie members. Not some critical or analytical review of every games merits and impact ever.
    Some people have strange games on their lists...but they obviously loved the game...so deal with it.

You had your chance to vote on the top10 and contribute, as we all did, now accept the results !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

right so who wants to break it down further by genre and platform? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I really liked this. nice variety of genres and platforms, plus, it shows we savvy boardsies appreciate the older stuff as much as the new

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

SeantheMan wrote: »
    The list isn't about games that changed gaming or were innovative or started a revolution.

It is a simple list of Boardsies favourite games....for the simple reason that we always complain about other Top10 , Top50 lists......which is what you have just gone and done !!:confused:
    Take the list for what it is as the collection of Top10's submitted by Boards.ie members. Not some critical or analytical review of every games merits and impact ever.
    Some people have strange games on their lists...but they obviously loved the game...so deal with it.

You had your chance to vote on the top10 and contribute, as we all did, now accept the results !
    So now a person on a forum specifically designed to give opinion, on a thread about people making a list of 50 great games from posters opinions, can't give an opinion on the list? Jesus, I never knew this particular part of Boards was so totalitarian! Look, I had one or two minor niggles with the list, it's a very good list! I never actually complained about the list, I complained about 3 omissions and the position of a single game. Not exactly like I was slating the thing or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

At least my favourite game of all time was number 1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Wait, it's over and done already? Gotta be an end of year thread that stays around for a couple of weeks in the style of the old Games awards forum for something like this I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Xenji wrote: »
    I feel bad for Seiken Densetsu 3, nobody else mentioned it and it is a true gem and a classic, it has a very good fan translation as well, must have for any role playing fan :)

Some of the best music from the 16bit era too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

The JMC wrote: »
    Call of Duty 2 & 4 were fantastic games, they're the reason CoD is churning out the same crap today. Halo 1 & 2 were also fantastic and incredibly influential and important to console FPS and online play.

Good games, certainly not top 10 material for me.. im fine with CoD2 or CoD4 being in the top 50 list tho,... as long as they're below CS of course. I'd probably have CoD:UO in my top 50.
    Yes, the PC! Pretty much like Quake was revolutionary for it's time and system, Halo was revolutionary for the Xbox! Again, semantics. I have my opinion and you have yours. Not even that big a Halo fan really, just think it deserves a spot on the top 50!

Yeah... well.. your opinion is wrong. :D Maybe if the list was top online fps'ers it might squeeze in top 20.

I think its a decent list, much better than the majority of the ones you see on typical gaming websites. Obviously 3 GTA games in the top 12 is stupid and wrong.. and im a little dubious about TLOU, can't see it ever being in my top 10, but i'll not judge it until I get round to playing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Magill wrote: »
    and im a little dubious about TLOU, can't see it ever being in my top 10, but i'll not judge it until I get round to playing it.

It really is extremely good!

First game I've played in a long time that I just had to finish once I started playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

I wasn't around for the vote but... no Shenmue? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

1: Tomb Raider I

*distance*

2: Euro Truck Stimulator II
    3: Assassin's Creed II
    4: Grand Theft Auto V
    5: Metal Gear Solid I
    6: Crash Bandicoot II
    7: Sonic the Hedgehog
    8: Civilisation II
    9: Arma III
    10: Tekken II

Edit: lulz at my typo, not changing it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xenji wrote: »
    I feel bad for Seiken Densetsu 3, nobody else mentioned it and it is a true gem and a classic, it has a very good fan translation as well, must have for any role playing fan :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always found Secret of Mana to be a lot more fun, flaws and all.
    Secret of Mana >= Secret of Evermore > Seiken Densetsu 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

A lot of those games I don't like, but can understand why there are there (Sonic, Dark Souls). The only one that I can't understand at all is Tomb Raider. I thought that was awful at the time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Better than most of the media generated lists. Not bad.

Everyone, give yourselves a pat on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Nice work! think street fighter 2 deserves to be there though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I should have included cannon fodder 2 in my list. Simple but very fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

nuxxx wrote: »
    Nice work! think street fighter 2 deserves to be there though :)

if I had grouped together all the votes for SF2, SF2 Turbo & Super SF2, then it would have landed somewhere around #30.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

cant believe metal gear solid even made the top 10 let alone first place, quite dissapointed in y'all for that

and the last of us.. strikes me as the same social effect as when dark knight was #1 on imdb for so many months

FF7 in the top 20 is acceptable for me anyway. Metal Gear number 1.... great game I loved it but I would have had something like Half Life 2 /Resident Evil 2/ Tomb Raider there. Still a good list though well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's better than the Irish times list for fckin sure :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Sarky wrote: »
    What? No Micro Machines? OMG THIS LIST IS BULLSH*T!

:pac:

Na, Rock n roll racing definitely deserves to be in there though.

What about Twisted Metal 2?!!?? The hours I wasted on that game was so much fun blowing up the Eiffel tower!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No warcraft III, get out. Sarky reminded me of micromachines, what a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has anyone payed the original tomb raider recently? Time has not been kind. It's got some awfully clunky controls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Two pokémon games (or 4/6 if you count different versions) makes me happy enough. Only CoD there is 4, which is also nice, and no Halo :D Disappointed Left 4 Dead and Company of Heroes didn't get on, but what can you do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't understand how the bloated San Andreas rated higher than the perfectly balanced Vice City.
    Demons Souls and Dark Souls are probably this gens most incredible work, The Last of Us is incredible but these two probably pip it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'm quite happy with that list.

I think the Last Of Us probably wouldn't have placed so high if this had been done a year or two later though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm quite happy with that list.

I think the Last Of Us probably wouldn't have placed so high if this had been done a year or two later though.
    Perhaps, though it's equally likely that there'd be another game from whatever year it was run that'd place highly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Has anyone payed the original tomb raider recently? Time has not been kind. It's got some awfully clunky controls.

I have! I was playing Anniversary and decided to stick on the original for the craic. Ouch! It was like wading through molasses.

Still, I included it in my top ten because it had a huge effect on me. I spent hours playing that game. I remember at the time the sense of scale in that level with the t-rex just floored me. All that running around collecting cogs, etc., I had never played a game like that before. And I honestly thought that once I got that first piece of the Scion that the game would be over! I couldn't believe that the game was only just beginning. And St. Francis's Folly is a level I still think about; all the different trap rooms were just amazing to me!

Obviously Anniversary is more playable now than the original, but it didn't have that same sense of wonder. And as much as I enjoyed the reboot this year, it didn't have that same "wow!" factor for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,326 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You youngsters with your 'calls of duties' and your 'the lasts of uses' forgot to vote for any of the true classics

Where's Super Mario Bros. The NES version was and still is a perfect game (and it kicks the arse of sonic the hedgehog)

Bionic Commando was an awesome game and It still plays really well (check it out on XBLA)

New Zealand Story on the NES, really really lovely game

Mega Man 9 or Mega Man 10

Donkey Kong Country is missing? How?

The only driving game is Mario Kart, Gran Tourismo should be in there somewhere and Wipeout 2097 is up there with the best too

Advertisement