Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 Games of All Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dark Souls should be no. 1

Be serious all the other games on the list I'd consider to be great games, anything else I'd prefer to see on the list would be obscure or old so would never end up on a populist list like this. For instance, FFVII will always be a popular choice but there are far superior examples of JRPGs, many already on the list. I can bang on about weird JRPGs but then this is a populist list so it's silly realistic and doesn't change the fact that its still a fantastic game.

As for the 2, make it 3 I'm adding GTA3 to that list, I'm surprised about it's becasue they aren't that great anymore are there are far better examples in their respective genres. As James Howlett says, they are influential but I can't consider them great games especially when there is stuff out at the moment that totally eclipses them in playability in their respective genres. I suppose it's a different way of rating games than some people have.

I was surprised to see some great games actually make the list, Persona 4 and Journey off the top of my head. Also I wasn't the only person that voted for Panzer Dragoon Saga! :)

I guess "best" and "most influential" could be 50 completely different games. GTA3 would most definitely be in a top influential list, and it is a good game but I agree the subsequent ones took the base and improved on it.
    Gaming is pretty unique in that regard, it's rare that say a movie franchise gets better with every sequel usually it's the complete opposite.

Take something like Assassin's Creed, the first one is painfully average and dull to play, the 2nd is a massive improvement. Super Mario Bros is a hugely iconic and influential game, SMB3 and World are both better games in every way than it, but it still deserves is place in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,654 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Grimebox wrote: »
    They were clunky at the time! I had no idea that game was so highly rated

Nothing like controlling a slender female protagonist with tank controls :pac:

Loved the first game myself. Was one of the first 3D rendered exploration games I played though - so was fairly mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

every single console fps maybe. but they don't count, not even a little
    Ha! Typical nerd superiority back patting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

People stop putting top 10 list! :mad:

You're too late! Save your brain for the game of the year thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 one shot bang bang

1 Super mario
    2 Sonic
    3 zelda ocarina of time
    4 Age of empires
    5 command and conquer
    6 Goldeneye 007
    7 Final fantasy 7
    8 Final fantasy 12
    9 Gran turismo
    10 World Rally Championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

when are the results lads?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

About 2 pages back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Realised voting is over :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Actually it's a complete travesty that Chrono Trigger isn't on that list. Easily one of my favourite games of all time. Still stands up brilliantly today. I suggest you folk give it a shot considering it didn't even make the top 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

cant beleive resident evil 4 isnt on the list. That game was one of the best on the ps2/of all time. certainly better than re2 and re1. I thought alot of people voted for re4 too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if I had been able to work out a faster way of tabulating all the scores, I would have left it open for longer, but 1,000 votes (100 top 10s) was about as much as I could handle.

deadybai wrote: »
    cant beleive resident evil 4 isnt on the list. That game was one of the best on the ps2/of all time. certainly better than re2 and re1. I thought alot of people voted for re4 too

I completely forgot it tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Not sure if it's allowed but we could set up a google form so that way all the results would be nicely put into a spreadsheet with no hassle

I forgot Ikaruga too, arse, I love that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Descent and it's sequel are fantastic on the PS, though they were made for the PC, I remember now how impressive they were and may still be, haven't played them in about 14 years, still there though!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Descent and it's sequel are fantastic on the PS, though they were made for the PC, I remember now how impressive they were and may still be, haven't played them in about 14 years, still there though!

That was the one with multiple tiered levels and tunnels and stuff, that you could rotate through, vaguely remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

TheGunns wrote: »
    Not sure if it's allowed but we could set up a google form so that way all the results would be nicely put into a spreadsheet with no hassle

The only problem with that really is that people would need to make sure the names are all the same. One problem is people putting in TES 4 or Oblivion or The Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion etc

Also people saying Farcry series, or Mortal Kombat series is just pointless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first one has probably aged a good bit but I really enjoyed the sequel. The first game was noteworthy for being one of if not the first all polygon 3D shooters with a fully polygonal world.

Not sure how the hell you play it on a PS1 pad, it was complex enough with mouse and keyboard.

Also Chrono Trigger > FFVII. Fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first one has probably aged a good bit but I really enjoyed the sequel. The first game was noteworthy for being one of if not the first all polygon 3D shooters with a fully polygonal world.

Not sure how the hell you play it on a PS1 pad, it was complex enough with mouse and keyboard.

Also Chrono Trigger > FFVII. Fact.

And that was prior to the advent of analogue pads.
    It raises an interesting, less mentioned feature of retro games, where you had to learn a new control system with each new game, even if it was in the same genre and on the same system.
    Anyone who played MOH on the PS1 will know how idiosyncratic the controls were, but we were willing to put in the time to get used to it, same with Descent.
    Now we have common controls across a system, with most games also letting you redefine the controls to suit, we forget what it was to work at a game before we could start to enjoy it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Medal of Honour was fine once you changed the default controls to the controls that Halo would later use. It worked great on a dual shock then. The default controls were more like Goldeneye except goldeneye made up for how awful the controls were with a ridiculous amout of auto aiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I was lucky that I owned most of the systems during their lives and I would put ICO in there but someone broke my copy when I was only 1 hour into it and I never ended up picking up a new copy. These are some of the greatest games ever made and I know alot of you missed out on the Saturn exclusives but trust me these were epic.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Dark Savior
    Command and Conquer
    Ecco Tides of Time
    Super Mario World
    Megaman 2
    Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Soul Calibure
    Thunder Force 4
    Genso Suikoden
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Bionic Commando
    Hotel Dusk
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Soliel
    Super Metroid
    Zelda link to the Past
    Herzog Zwei
    Streets of Rage 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Final Fantasy 7
    Street fighter Alpha 2
    Rocket knight adventure
    Doom
    Half Life
    Shenmue
    LocoRoco
    Silent Hill 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Burnout Paradise
    Saturn Bomberman
    Jetpack
    pacman
    Legacy of Kain
    Soul Reaver
    Mario Kart 64
    Castlevania Aria of sorrow
    Strider
    The Walking Dead
    Hotline Miami
    Golden Axe
    Shinning Force
    virtua cop
    Halo
    Crysis
    Ghouls n Ghosts
    Bust a Move
    Arkem Asylum
    Skys of Arcadia
    Super Robot wars
    Outrun
    Age of Empires
    Splatter House
    Mass Effect

I wanna change my list and add Bubble Bobble, neglected arcade games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭The JMC

Quite happy with how the list turned out in the end. I wasn't too concerned about the games I thought were the "best" when I placed my vote, I rather placed my votes based on the games I enjoyed the most and have the fondest memories of which I believe was the right thing to do in hindsight. I certainly had a few votes that weren't recognized (Dungeon Keeper & Rollercoaster Tycoon) but that was understandable of course.

I think it's unfair to judge an old game against current games since technology changes, gameplay design has changed and graphics have changed. It's like comparing footballers of different eras against current ones, it's just an unfair comparison. I was quite pleased to see Oblivion as the top ranked Elder Scrolls game since I feel people don't remember the god awful combat in Morrowind anymore. The Final Fantasy games were definitely ranked in the correct order except 10 probably could have been replaced by 6, 8 or 4. I've always felt that 9 was the most criminally underrated game and a bit disappointed to see 7 & 9 as low as 14 & 22 respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Started playing Zelda:OoT again tonite, been a long time... still got that charm and looks pretty good still !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Now we have common controls across a system, with most games also letting you redefine the controls to suit, we forget what it was to work at a game before we could start to enjoy it!

That's so true. I get flummoxed now if there's no invert y-axis option :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

On the topic of controls, 13 years ago

1J8s5Nu.png

^ like how it's supposed to be lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

krudler wrote: »
    ^ like how it's supposed to be lol

How it became, there was a time this was a new concept. We used to usee the D pad for up,down,left,right and shoulder buttons for strife and look up and down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used to use the arrow keys to move...and was convinced everyone else did it wrong :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think it was Ape Escape was the first console game to use the analogs exclusively, and I was blown away. Bye Bye D-pad!

Advertisement