Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Top 50 Games of All Time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't understand how the bloated San Andreas rated higher than the perfectly balanced Vice City.

TBH GTA 5 is a better game but San Andreas is definitely the one that I spent most time with. Loved the coutryside added to it. While the Radio wasn't as good as Vice City it had great variety. Planes, gang wars. Man I loved that game.

I omitted it from my Top 10 after just because there are so many good games.

Also I'd agree that right now TLoU is fresh in the mind so it's doing well but it'd still be high in the list imo. It's one of the finest games of this gen.

Surprises on the list for me were Tomb Raider and Sonic. There are a few series that I thought other titles would be there (E.g Resident Evil 4).

And the one omission from my list that I'm sad not to see there is Timesplitters 2 :(

Good stuff the groutch!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tomb raider always seemed dated to me considering Mario 64 came out before it (in Japan at least) and made the clunky controls of Tomb Raider obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ok, I'm finally done, not going to do a dragged out countdown or anything.

1. Metal Gear Solid
    2. Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
    3. Super Mario World
    4. Deus Ex
    5. The Last of Us
    6. GTA San Andreas
    7. Half Life
    8. Dark Souls
    9. GTA Vice City
    10. Zelda: A Link To The Past
    11. Super Mario Bros. 3
    12. GTA 3
    13. Super Metroid
    14. Final Fantasy VII
    15. Fallout 3
    16. Half Life 2
    17. Shadow of The Colossus
    18. Metal Gear Solid 3
    19. Red Dead Redemption
    20. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    21. Sonic The Hedgehog
    22. Final Fantasy IX
    23. Counter Strike
    24. Goldeneye 007
    25. Age Of Empires 2
    26. Super Mario Kart
    27. Pokemon Red/Blue
    28. Mass Effect 2
    29. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    30. Resident Evil 2
    31. Bioshock
    32. World Of Warcraft
    33. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    34. Ico
    35. Persona 4
    36. Borderlands 2
    37. Portal 2
    38. GTA V
    39. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    40. Tomb Raider (1996)
    41. Pokemon Gold/Silver
    42. Civilisation 2
    43. Super Mario 64
    44. Resident Evil
    45. The Walking Dead
    46. Age of Empires
    47. Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    48. Doom
    49. Final Fantasy X
    50. Journey

Quite pelased I have played 30 of the games on that list.

Regrets include never playing Zelda: OoT, Deux X, Half-Life 2.

I do mean to get around to Red Dead and Journey.

EDIT: I wish I had put in a sneaky vote for C64's Terminator 2 or Creature 1/2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

tok9 wrote: »
    TBH GTA 5 is a better game but San Andreas is definitely the one that I spent most time with.

That's what I like about the boardsies' individual lists in this thread - it seems to me that people have chosen games that are not necessarily the "best" games, but the ones they enjoyed the most or had the biggest effect on them. I know that I certainly picked games that could in no way be considered the "best game ever" or even close, but they were ones that I enjoyed playing with my friends, or that really changed the way I perceived gaming, or that were just damn good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I didn't like last of us. The sequence at the start was brilliant but turned into the same old go here, sneak there, kill soldiers/infected.

I can see how Metal Gear Solid was number 1. It was in nearly everyone's list. The first game i played with a truly cinematic experience. Great graphics (back then), superb voice acting, brilliant soundtrack, introduction to stealth combat, decent AI (unlike games before where the enemy knew where you were the whole time, or, just ignored you even though you were in their face).

I've only played 3 of the top 10 from start to finish.

Played 23 out of the 50. (Sega boy never had a Nintendo and haven't owned a console for the last 4 years)

• Advertisement

Played 27 out of the 50.

FF7 will always be my number 1 game like what others said for their's it just had a huge effect on me when I was a pup. What a bloody story!

It has to be said though GTA 3 was another wow moment in gaming for me. The change from 2d GTA to that was such a huge jump. So many hours spent just being chased by the cops through Liberty City. Absolutely loved it

I got very in to CS:S years ago, done the LANs etc and played at a mediocre level but then it just stopped being fun. It actually made me hate other FPS titles going forward I just rage far too easily because of my experience in CS:S. It's a pity because I probably didn't enjoy the Battlefield or COD series as much as I could have.

Resident Evil one was another amazing experience. My friend & I rented it not expecting much but got the the scariest experience we'd ever had in a computer game. We managed to get to the part when the first hunter broke in to the mansion house without a memory card.... I can still picture him ripping Jill's head off. Heart broken didn't play it again until I got my own PS1 a few months later equipped with a memory card!

Goldeneye, WWE VS Nwo & Perfect Dark were amazing titles on the N64 for multiplayer a lot of time spent & a lot of school skipped to play them!

I cant believe noone mentioned one of the better Pro Evo years at it's peak it was the best football game around. Master League was such a great idea, loved it.

It's amazing the only game I play nowadays is DOTA 2, I bought GTA V and actually got bored of it soon after Trevor comes in to it.... what's happened to my passion for gaming :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Where on earth are the 8 bit games on that list:confused:

Goes to show the age range of the voters must be under 25.

Boulder Dash ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Where on earth are the 8 bit games on that list:confused:

Goes to show the age range of the voters must be under 25.

Boulder Dash ftw

32 here, I had a few NES games I was gonna put in, Mario Bros 3, Mega Man 2 and Gremlins 2 (what, I loved it) mostly. they'd make a top 20 alright. Hell you could make a top 100 and still have to make some choices and lose titles you loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Played less than half of those.

I wasn't going to make a list since I missed the cut off date :rolleyes:, but as a 33 yr old, I would like to have seen the following on the list somewhere:

Thief I (1998) & II (2000) in the top 2 spots anyways.

These any where in the list:
    Sim City 2000. (1994)
    Outcast. (1999)
    Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption. (2000)
    Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. (2004)
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. (1998)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've played 40 out of the 50. Not bad. :)

• Advertisement

37 out of 50 for me, mostly the pc RTS ones I haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

33 out of the 50 i'm quite happy with that since most of the ones I havent played are simply due to ps3 console exclusiveness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Played 42 of 50 :cool:.

Couple of games that imo are only there due to them being new ie. GTA V and TLOU but they'll fade out of the list eventually

must get around to playing Link to the past and Journey though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Initial thoughts:
    • No Baldur's Gate or Planescape? The former probably suffered from a split vote but still big, big absences
    • The Last of Us at #5? That's that I call the Gladiator effect - where a decent film is immediately catapulted into the higher echelons of these lists, before sinking over time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'm probably late here but here's mine :D

1- DOOM
    2- IL2 Sturmovik
    3- Bruce Lee on C64
    4- Barbarian on C64
    5 - Wrestlefest - RAINE emu
    6 - Sensible Soccer Amiga
    7 - Kick off2
    8 - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - Amiga
    9 - System Shock 2
    10 - Tie Fighter
    11 - Half Life
    12 - Battlefield 2
    13 - Call of Duty United Offensive
    14 - Aliens Vs Predator (First one)
    15 - Clive Barkers Undying
    16 - European Air War
    17 - XCOM Original
    18 - Fallout 1
    19 - Fallout 2
    20 - Silent Hunter 3
    21 - Far Cry 1
    22 - Free Space 2
    23 - Dark Souls
    25 - Zelda
    26 - Resident Evil Remake
    27 - Pilot Wings
    28 - Mario Bros
    29 - Starfox
    30 - F-ZERO
    31 - Uncharted 1
    32 - Super MarioKart
    33 - Mass Effect
    34 - Red Baron 3d
    35 - Defender of the Crown c64
    36 - Spacegun Arcade
    37 - Star Wars arcade (original one :) )
    38 - Wings amiga
    39 - Speedball 2
    40 - Knight Games C-64
    41 - Their Finest Hour Amiga
    42 - Decathlon c-64
    43 - Wing Commander
    44 - Battlefield Bad Company 2
    45 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    46 - Star Wars KOTOR
    47 - FIFA 2013
    48 - Microprose soccer
    49 - Aliens - C64
    50 - Ghosts and Goblins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

No Resi 4 is interesting. People really blame that game for the direction 5 and 6 took and forget it was absolutely amazing in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Would have liked to have voted on this. Agree with the top 3 of Metal Gear Solid, Zelda: Ocarina Of Time and Super Mario World but Ocarina Of Time would have to be my number 1.

I think I need to pick up a ps3 before considering next gen to play The Last Of Us then! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,358 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Good list. Haven't played a lot of them due to not being a PC gamer and never having any Nintendo consoles (bar the DS, and I did play the Super Mario games on an emulator a few years ago), but seems like a reasonable enough list. Delighted to see Borderlands 2 make it into the top 50. Incredible game.

The Walking Dead and The Last of Us were almost in my top 10, but it's no surprise to me that TLOU was so high in the list. Though it wasn't on mine, it is an incredible gaming experience and achievement, and a game which shows how games can be considered a true form of entertainment up there with films and tv boxsets. I can understand people's points about it being so recent which may be influencing people's votes for it, but even with that there's no doubt that it's an amazingly game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

cant believe metal gear solid even made the top 10 let alone first place, quite dissapointed in y'all for that

and the last of us.. strikes me as the same social effect as when dark knight was #1 on imdb for so many months

MGS1 is one of the best games ever and rightly deserves to be there. Playing it, even now, it doesnt even feel that dated whatsoever. TLOU is an outstanding game. Never understand people's belief that a new game is incapable of being one of the best ever.
    Taylor365 wrote: »
    I didn't like last of us. The sequence at the start was brilliant but turned into the same old go here, sneak there, kill soldiers/infected.

I can see how Metal Gear Solid was number 1. It was in nearly everyone's list. The first game i played with a truly cinematic experience. Great graphics (back then), superb voice acting, brilliant soundtrack, introduction to stealth combat, decent AI (unlike games before where the enemy knew where you were the whole time, or, just ignored you even though you were in their face).

I've only played 3 of the top 10 from start to finish.

Played 23 out of the 50. (Sega boy never had a Nintendo and haven't owned a console for the last 4 years)
    If you break down MGS1 to its most basic level its also "Go here, sneak/shoot enemies" :P Its funny too cause all the positive aspects you listed about MGS1 are the same exact reasons TLoU is praised and rated so highly!
    Reekwind wrote: »
    Initial thoughts:
    • No Baldur's Gate or Planescape? The former probably suffered from a split vote but still big, big absences
    • The Last of Us at #5? That's that I call the Gladiator effect - where a decent film is immediately catapulted into the higher echelons of these lists, before sinking over time

Absolutely completely forgot about Baldurs Gate myself. I easily put about 200 hours into that game and Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. Loved them.

Again though, can people not accept that a great game comes out sometimes and when it does are we to list it as a great game or say "That doesnt deserve to be in a top 10 list, its only new"

I would actually say GTA V couldfall under the gladiator effect. As its hype pre-release was so high but now, around 70% of the people I know/have added online who played it non-stop the first week or so havent touched it since. It had absolutely no replayability imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New top ten

Flight Unlimited 2, pc
    Deus Ex, pc
    Batman Returns, snes
    Tetris, GB
    Virtua Racing, 32X
    MSR, Dc
    Uridium, C64
    Bayonetta, PS3
    Wipeout 2097, PS
    Nights, Sat

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    New top ten

Flight Unlimited 2, pc
    Deus Ex, pc
    Batman Returns, snes
    Tetris, GB
    Virtua Racing, 32X
    MSR, Dc
    Uridium, C64
    Bayonetta, PS3
    Wipeout 2097, PS
    Nights, Sat

Oooh good choice, one of the better side scrolling beat em ups on the SNES.

I completely forgot about Axelay too, dammit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Played 27 out of the 50.

FF7 will always be my number 1 game like what others said for their's it just had a huge effect on me when I was a pup. What a bloody story!

It has to be said though GTA 3 was another wow moment in gaming for me. The change from 2d GTA to that was such a huge jump. So many hours spent just being chased by the cops through Liberty City. Absolutely loved it

I got very in to CS:S years ago, done the LANs etc and played at a mediocre level but then it just stopped being fun. It actually made me hate other FPS titles going forward I just rage far too easily because of my experience in CS:S. It's a pity because I probably didn't enjoy the Battlefield or COD series as much as I could have.

Resident Evil one was another amazing experience. My friend & I rented it not expecting much but got the the scariest experience we'd ever had in a computer game. We managed to get to the part when the first hunter broke in to the mansion house without a memory card.... I can still picture him ripping Jill's head off. Heart broken didn't play it again until I got my own PS1 a few months later equipped with a memory card!

Goldeneye, WWE VS Nwo & Perfect Dark were amazing titles on the N64 for multiplayer a lot of time spent & a lot of school skipped to play them!

I cant believe noone mentioned one of the better Pro Evo years at it's peak it was the best football game around. Master League was such a great idea, loved it.

It's amazing the only game I play nowadays is DOTA 2, I bought GTA V and actually got bored of it soon after Trevor comes in to it.... what's happened to my passion for gaming :(

Dota happened, it's hard to play another game when you have dota :/

Played 27 on the list too.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If you break down MGS1 to its most basic level its also "Go here, sneak/shoot enemies" :P Its funny too cause all the positive aspects you listed about MGS1 are the same exact reasons TLoU is praised and rated so highly!
    My point exactly. 15 years on, same type of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

in no specific order:

1. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Dune II - Battle For Arrakis
    3. Call of Duty : United Offensive
    4. Metal Gear Solid
    5. Half-life 2
    6. Front Mission 3
    7. Timesplitters 2
    8. TES: Oblivion
    9. Age of Wonders
    10. Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas

may revisit my list before deadline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

My point exactly. 15 years on, same type of gameplay.

Why change a winning formula? MGS certainly didn't in MGS2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

For what its worth :

1. Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver
    2. Frontier Elite 2
    3. FF9
    4. Fallout 3
    5. Championship Manager
    6. GTA Vice City
    7. Secret of Monkey Island 2
    8. FF7
    9. Red Dead Redemption
    10. GTA SA

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Why change a winning formula? MGS certainly didn't in MGS2 or 3.
    Hence why i wouldn't put em on a top 250 list, nevermind a top 10. Well, maybe 3 deserves better.

Maybe I'm just tired of that gameplay style which is why i didn't like it.

Good voice work and great soundtrack = $$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 12,347 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

lets make this an annual event for around the end of the year to see how the list changes and see if the newer games like TLoU does drop to a lower position and more classic games rise as we are reminded of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

krudler wrote: »
    Oooh good choice, one of the better side scrolling beat em ups on the SNES.

I completely forgot about Axelay too, dammit.

Batman Returns, the only side scrolling beat'em up I can stand playing, I break out in scathing sarcasm when faced with a Streets of Rage game which, as you can imagine, make life as an A&R mod rather hard sometimes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hence why i wouldn't put em on a top 250 list, nevermind a top 10. Well, maybe 3 deserves better.

Maybe I'm just tired of that gameplay style which is why i didn't like it.

Good voice work and great soundtrack = $$$$$

I just want it out there.. 3 is easily the best MGS in every department and even more so with the camera that was introduced in Subsistence.

Advertisement